Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Usa And Canada Student Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Usa And Canada Student Visa (2314 Views)

Polish Student Visa / How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? / What Do You Like About USA And Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Usa And Canada Student Visa by Sonye(f): 2:07pm On Mar 15, 2008
I have been trying to make enquiries about students visa for masters but it seems most of the people i know that are in the US are either citizens, have green cards or got their student visa for their first degree.
Can anybody help me on the procedure? Where do i start from? I tried getting the visit visa to make inquiries myself about 2 years ago but i got rejected  
Do i start from doing the GRE exams or i have to get an admission letter first.
Also, a friend of mine told me that to study in canada, i do not need GRE. Which country is better to study and less stress of visa procedure?
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by Delta007(m): 5:39pm On Mar 15, 2008
Every program and institution has different admission requirements. What prog are you looking at? What university? Check their websites. . that wud be a start. If u got any more questions, give me a holla!
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by Sonye(f): 1:36am On Mar 16, 2008
thanks so much for your help. I am looking at all the schools now but have not decided. but most of them say i can obtain admission if my GP from my first degree is 3.0 points. Is there anyhting like a post-graduate diploma? what do i do?
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by Sonye(f): 2:56am On Mar 16, 2008
Ok. I think i am settling down with university of athabasca
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by Delta007(m): 7:00pm On Mar 16, 2008
What program? I'm assuming Post Grad?
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by Sonye(f): 9:25pm On Mar 16, 2008
well, i was thinking of a post-graduate but it is not stated there. I just see masters. I am not too good with making researches but it says in most of the school sites i have visited that you B.Sc should be a minimum of second class upper division. And i am not in that category.
What is the right step to take ,how do i apply and what school will be best for this?
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by debosky(m): 9:37pm On Mar 16, 2008
why uni of athabasca? as far as I know they run mostly distance learning programs. . .do they have a different admission requirement from other canadian uni's?

its true most schools require minimum 2/1, if not all, I am trying to explore the PG diploma route for one of my cousins, but no info yet.

Some of the schools however (like University of Alberta) calculate the 3.0/4.0 or 4.0/5.0 or 2/1 requirement based on your last two years of study, so calculate your GPA to see if the final two years of your undergrad meet those requirements.

Your profile says glasgow? are you planning to apply from the Uk or from Nigeria for the Canadian schools? The visa procedure is tough for both I guess, but probably the Canadian one is less stressful because its less 'popular' with naija peeps, I don't really know because I never experienced US embassy wahala.

a good resource for schools in canada is www.aucc.ca it is a nice data base where you can enter the course you're interested in, the level (Masters) and then it gives you a list of schools offering those options and you can check through which would be most suitable
Re: Usa And Canada Student Visa by Sonye(f): 11:37pm On Mar 16, 2008
thanks for the info. I am in glasgow at the moment. I will be applying from here but transcript and others are still gonna come from Nigeria.
OK you know i just saw athabasca as a grad school. didn't know it was for distance learning progs. i guess the post graduate diploma should be my option right now. Please inform me if you know about any post-graduate dip info. let me loot at the url u sent to me

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Travel To Bermuda. Where Do I Get The Visa? / Nairalanders In New Jersey / Would You Stay In This N4,500 Hotel With 'jacuzzi'? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.