Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,593 members, 7,801,695 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? (20975 Views)

Poll: School busines or hotel business: which is more profitable?

Hotel Business: 53% (37 votes)
School Business: 46% (32 votes)
This poll has ended

What Business Is The Most Profitable To Invest In Nigeria / Which Business Can A Student Venture Into On Campus? / Pls. I Have 300k Which Business Can I Do That Will Give Me 2k - 3k Daily. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by santaa(m): 2:19pm On Mar 15, 2008
Anybody with information on hotel business and private school business? Which is more profitable in Nigeria, precisely lagos? (The location does not necessarily be in the heart of Lagos.)

Are they good and profitable business and like how much is needed to build a standard one? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2008
hotel business is good but u spend more capital puttin it up, while skool u spend less.hotel is more profitable.

but 4 me i will go for school becos its less stressful. hotel is too stressful.but its the best.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by santaa(m): 11:25pm On Mar 18, 2008
Thanks Cao Alvin for your reply, i think i agree with you that hotel is more profitable,but i don't agree that it is capital intensive more than private school business.To build a standard school will also gulp big money
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Frizy(m): 3:16pm On Mar 19, 2008
Hotel of course. To build a five star hotel is not a joke but at the end of it you realise your money quick. Particularly if you build it near Airports or where foriegners come visiting. School on the otherhand cost less and you may not realise your capital years to come. Remember they pay per term (3months), hotel na per day o wink
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Scopium: 3:35pm On Mar 19, 2008
[size=13pt]Location is important here. I hear level of education is low in the northern part of Nigeria now would you go and set up a school there? Hell No! Hotel is more capital intensive than school and I believe also has higher profitability. Again location is important. Unfortunately my answer is based on my opinion not on facts. Anybody with facts and figures should let it down here.[/size]
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by desertboom(m): 3:42pm On Mar 19, 2008
All business are good infact all business have equal potentials all things being equal  ( Ceteris paribus ) depending on the location, standard and other obvious factors like; good managers and appropriate skilled workers etc. Therefore no business is better than the other considering the afore mentioned reasons above.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Scopium: 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2008
[size=13pt]By the way let me get it straight. What type of private school are you talking about? To build a standard university is more expensive than building standard hotel[/size]
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Scopium: 3:45pm On Mar 19, 2008
desertboom:

All business are good infact all business have equal potentials all things being equal ( Ceteris paribus ) depending on the location, standard and other obvious factors like; good managers and appropriate skilled workers etc. Therefore no business is better than the other considering the afore mentioned reasons above.

[size=13pt]I think you got a point but it's not entirely true[/size]
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by dee02(m): 3:55pm On Mar 19, 2008
School business-you can start from your living room
Hotel business-you can start from your bedroom, just be prepared to accomodate guests on your bed, keep your toilet clean as well as your room and find your square root to give guests privacy, you may need to make them breakfast in the morning so you need to be back on time, with that your are multi-tasking and it would save costs!

grin

with the above ideas, you don't need a huge start up capital- get a signpost, advertise your business and before you know it, you would have enough money to stop working or doing business from home, then you can move out and get a better place! grin

you use what you have to get what you want! grin
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2008
hotel is the best.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by showbobo(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2008
When did SCHOOLS turn into a business venture.Its a shame
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Mar 19, 2008
showbobo:

When did SCHOOLS turn into a business venture.Its a shame

I dont get your point.
As long as i can remenber, private schools around the world has been set up mostly for profit maximization; other purposes are secondary.

@topic

Both bizs are capital intensive depending on the level you want to go about it.
A 5 star hotel biz could cost from 1 to 5 billion naira. More profitable though.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by denony(m): 5:04pm On Mar 19, 2008
Hotel is an amazing business, depending on the runs girls and happening guys around the area of location wink. and the way it was putting in order.

It is the hottest business in Lagos, you are going to make as big money as the hotel is.
Its such investment you will carry out and start making fast money.

try add something different to it, to make it exeptional.

School business is also good but it requires good managment and location.
It will have to be known before making money from it, like 2-3 years.

But hotel people can't wait on the day of opening ceremony, from that night you've started counting the cash.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 19, 2008
Hotel is the best: imagine the number of husbands cheating on their wives?
That's already enough to open the business.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by efuah(f): 6:16pm On Mar 19, 2008
michelin89:

rofl grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin

@topic, privat school.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 19, 2008
michelin89:

denony:

Hotel is an amazing business, depending on the runs girls and happening guys around the area of location wink. and the way it was putting in order.

that na the truth. if i'm out of lagos on friday( on official biz) and i finish late from site to find hotel dey hard. you will see al these peeps who have told madam they are 'travelling on business' with small girls.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Egavlas(m): 9:52pm On Mar 19, 2008
@Poster

For you to start a Private School, you must have a different mindset and orientation from where you currently are.

Its people who have the desire to impart Knowledge, teach and nurture others and build a legacy for his or her wards that should go into opening schools.

If you go into it just as a business venture, then you would ultimately mess up the lives of the kids that are placed in your hands when the 'bucks' are not rolling in as planned.

People who have been known to be successful in running schools are those with the innate passion to nurture and impart knowledge.

This translates into well tutored lives, and by extension, happy parents and then comes the financial rewards.

But if its just a business venture, then the reverse would be the case : Unhappy parents, terribly run school and ultimately, a failed 'business venture' .

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by darkroll(m): 5:10am On Mar 20, 2008
Well it depends on what type of school and hotel u are talking about . 5, 4 , 3, 2, star ? I have been in the hospitality business for 4 years now so i can only tell you about the hotel industry .
You have to consider the following points . LOCATION , MAN POWER , AND YOUR MANAGEMENT TEAM , SALES AND MARKETING TEAM

Hotel business only grows if you have a good location , energetic man power and a well structured management team good sales and marketing team , and dont expect to start making profit that soon . it takes at about after 1 or 2 years before you start making profits out of it .

As for me i will prefer the hotel business rather than school .

1 Like

Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by trhymes(m): 2:02pm On Mar 20, 2008
Both Business are very Hot, but i will go with Hotel Business. cool
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by lightest(m): 2:13pm On Mar 20, 2008
The topic ought to have been:
Hotel, Church Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable
This is because I still keep wondering why I am not a professional in any of them instead of remaining jobless now

Kayo
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Digiman(m): 7:45pm On Mar 20, 2008
Salvage:

@Poster

For you to start a Private School, you must have a different mindset and orientation from where you currently are.

Its people who have the desire to impart Knowledge, teach and nurture others and build a legacy for his or her wards that should go into opening schools.

If you go into it just as a business venture, then you would ultimately mess up the lives of the kids that are placed in your hands when the 'bucks' are not rolling in as planned.

People who have been known to be successful in running schools are those with the innate passion to nurture and impart knowledge.

This translates into well tutored lives, and by extension, happy parents and then comes the financial rewards.

But if its just a business venture, then the reverse would be the case : Unhappy parents, terribly run school and ultimately, a failed 'business venture' .

Hope this helps.

Well said. I also believe you must be an educationist otherwise you'll make a mess of it. On the other hand you could employ an overall head to run it for you but be prepared to employ only the best i n the field and pay top dollar to retain them.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by lucabrasi(m): 10:41pm On Mar 20, 2008
my parents have been into private schools for years and if its something u want to do holla at me and ill put you through,you dont have to be an educationist to make it work as long as you v done your home work atiku is not an educationist, and its realli lucrative as well
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by tommyex(m): 4:59pm On Mar 21, 2008
With proper education/training on any of them ur PROFIT is assured,well probably.

If you aint in the teaching line,you wont make as much profit in setting up a school.

If u aint into Hotel maintanance/management,same will go for you too.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by dautipax(m): 5:38pm On Mar 21, 2008
hi who is talkin abt naija skool
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by NaijaEcash(m): 3:27pm On Mar 22, 2008
This question is a difficult one.
Each has its advantage and disadvantages. Also, location makes a whole lot of difference. I doubt if anyone can give a professional answer to this one just in a post. To start with, more questions need to be asked. e.g. What kind of school are we talking about? How much are you planning to invest?

Well just on a lighter mood, I will go for school. It gives one an opportunity to impact the lives of the leaders of tomorrow. We all are indebted to our teachers (well I am just being sentimental) Cheers cheesy
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by santaa(m): 3:41pm On Mar 22, 2008
Hi, NaijaEcash concerning the amount budgeted for it is around 20 million, and when i am talking of hotel it is a decent hotel just for logging and accommodation purpose
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by brosious: 4:48pm On Mar 23, 2008
i think n Nigeria the hotel business is more profitable , u can make a lot of money if u cite it in a very cool location , people spend more on elaxation than they do on education so u can actually make a lo of money , the price of drinks doubles n stimes triples n hotels , u can also put a viewing cetre n charge a premium for it , i
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by santaa(m): 8:43pm On Mar 23, 2008
What does a good location mean in hotel business,does it mean the heart of the city,or some how hiding location.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by todan(m): 10:37pm On Mar 23, 2008
it's all about the capital involved. if less capital is involved i will advice u to go for hotel 'cos u can set up a mini hotel with little capital, and that can fetch u enough money but the problem is the security issue, if u can work that out, go on bro. all the best.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by alanbolo(m): 3:27am On Mar 24, 2008
While both are intended 4 profits, I believed hotelling biz have much more to offer in that regard.

As said earlier by Salvage, it also depends on personal quest 4 establishing the entity. I've always dream of imparting knowledge to my brethens whenever I can and the ultimate goal is to establish a center where knowledge can be gained that will transform the life of the less privilege.

Based on sentimental @ d moment, I rather establish the school first and if it produce the cash-inflow, okay and if not, I'll live with the satisfaction of equipping those that benefited from it.
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by topkin(m): 8:48am On Mar 24, 2008
Hotel
Re: Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? by Kaiser5000: 8:01pm On Mar 24, 2008
Hotel business is very profitable but I have to tell you that it comes with a lot of headache (speaking from experience). You should be ready to deal with unforeseen circumstance with customers, workers, local government, Police, PHCN (NEPA) etc Hotels attract all sorts of people.
With the power situation in Nigeria today you will spend most of your revenue on diesel, generator repairs or paying off NEPA. This will lead to raising prices to the level that depending on your location your clientele may not be willing to pay. Security is another key issue. You may have a hard time just breaking even. Proper planning and management is key.
Good luck with which ever you choose to go with.

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Best-kept Secrets Of Business Success / How FG Will Tax Profits Made By Global Tech/Digital Giants In Nigeria — Osinbajo / GTBank Customer Humiliation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.