Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (39572 Views)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by bawomolo(m): 10:34pm On Nov 10, 2008
Don't let an ugly person see a pregnant woman because the baby might turn out to be ugly.

word i've heard this one too or not allowing people to touch head when you prostrate. naija people and the fear of winch
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by JamaicanQT(f): 2:00am On Nov 11, 2008
in the caribbean they say if u cut a baby boy hair before they are 3 the baby will have speech problem
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2008
Don't let an ugly person see a pregnant woman because the baby might turn out to be ugly. lol

reminds me of naija and this chic that wasn't attractive.
they would always tell her to go and hide whenever a pregnant woman is passing by

~LMAO . . .aaaw!! Poor woman!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by abdurrazaq(m): 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2008
Any woman with moustache is a witch cry cry
Don't eat yam with knife, it results into doubling of your sets of teeth shocked grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by suricattca(f): 9:01pm On Nov 11, 2008
If u wear red panties/underpants, when u have exam or test, u will pass.
If black cat though a steet, u will have bad luck.
If u cut ur hair befor exam/test, u will fail.
wink
7 is lucky number
13 is unlucky number
wink
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 4:14am On Nov 13, 2008
~If you catch a bride's bouquet >>>You'll be getting married next!!

~ Its no wonder to this day women still fight to catch the bouquet at a wedding grin . . .must be true undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by TOYOSI20(f): 4:31am On Nov 13, 2008
mohawkchic:

~If you catch a bride's bouquet >>>You'll be getting married next!!~ Its no wonder to this day women still fight to catch the bouquet at a wedding grin . . .must be true undecided

So so true, I always avoid catching the bouquet. . . . . wink cheesy
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 6:06am On Nov 13, 2008
TOYOSI20:

So so true, I always avoid catching the bouquet. . . . . wink cheesy

~Lol,so you do believe?what you running away from? - marriage? tongue
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by TOYOSI20(f): 6:11am On Nov 13, 2008
Lol,. . . .no its actually not that, just not quite ready yet. tongue wink
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2008
TOYOSI20:

Lol,. . . .no its actually not that, just not quite ready yet. tongue wink

~ cheesy O! Okies tongue
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by maedan(f): 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2008
here's a new (old) one: Never spill salt on the floor, it brings about a fight/quarrel in the house! grin!!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 6:02pm On Nov 15, 2008
maedan:

here's a new (old) one: Never spill salt on the floor, it brings about a fight/quarrel in the house! grin!!

~A new one for me!!

~There's another salt superstitious belief am aware of tho>> If You spill salt on the Dinner table,you throw some of it behind your back!! something to do wth bad luck,not quite sure,but if i do spill the salt,you bet am doing it grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by maedan(f): 5:54pm On Nov 18, 2008
I found it really hard to dig the spill-salt-you're-in-trouble stuff. My brothers and I fight anyway whether I spill salt on the floor or not. I guess those days salt was very precious and expensive so they had to think up ways for people to handle it with more care.

Isn't it NAFDAC that spilled almost 100 bags of non-iodized salt the other day in the market? Wouldn't that be enough to cause another civil war (by superstitious standards)? cheesy tongue
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Moyola(f): 7:13pm On Nov 18, 2008
abdurrazaq:

Don't eat yam with knife, it results into doubling of your sets of teeth shocked grin

mohawkchic:

~If you catch a bride's bouquet >>>You'll be getting married next!!

so i heard. . . undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Moyola(f): 7:16pm On Nov 18, 2008
If a cat spits at yu. . . . yu'd go blind

if a lizard spits at yu. . . . yu'd hv warapa epilepsy undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 11:59pm On Nov 18, 2008
Moyola:

If a cat spits at yu. . . . yu'd go blind

if a lizard spits at yu. . . . yu'd hv warapa epilepsy undecided lipsrsealed

~Oh Wow!! I didnt even know cats spit!! shocked
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Moyola(f): 11:06am On Nov 19, 2008
dhatz w0t i heard sha. . . undecided tongue
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 7:19am On Nov 21, 2008
Moyola:

dhatz w0t i heard sha. . . undecided tongue

~ grin ~ Kwel NooOo woories tongue I'll ask my neighbour who owns a cat . . .if i can survive him givin me strange looks
grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Gamine(f): 7:47pm On Nov 24, 2008
I heard this,

its not even Nigerian or African, its English!

------

When taking tea, you must not put the sugar before the milk

if not you will be very unlucky and you will die a pitiful death

to Rectify, if you do, you must

Stand up, close your eyes, turn around twice while someone throws the tea out of the window

undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 8:52pm On Nov 24, 2008
Gamine:

I heard this,

its not even Nigerian or African, its English!

------

When taking tea, you must not put the sugar before the milk

if not you will be very unlucky and you will die a pitiful death

to Rectify, if you do, you must

Stand up, close your eyes, turn around twice while someone throws the tea out of the window

undecided

~Lol, this is defo on my silly superstition list!!

*wonders if ave ever put the sugar before the milk * grin Always!!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by MrCrackles(m): 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2008
if you self-service too much your cock. would fall off undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 8:57pm On Nov 24, 2008
MrCrackles:

if you self-service too much your cock. would fall off undecided

~If Only!! grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Gamine(f): 9:01pm On Nov 24, 2008
LOL

Another English one,

If you dont leave the bathroom, before the flush stops

you will die. undecided

So far this hasnt happened! grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by MrCrackles(m): 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2008
mohawkchic:

~If Only!! grin

grin grin grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by MrCrackles(m): 9:04pm On Nov 24, 2008
if you stare too close to the tv, u would be sucked into it

if the remote control is pointed at you or through you, it would suck your blood grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 10:04pm On Nov 24, 2008
MrCrackles:

if you stare too close to the tv, u would be sucked into it

if the remote control is pointed at you or through you, it would suck your blood grin

~ grin ,lol - Please tell me you're making this up?!! shocked
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by MrCrackles(m): 10:08pm On Nov 24, 2008
mohawkchic:

~ grin ,lol - Please tell me you're making this up?!! shocked

Nah the remote control one is so funny

I had a lil coz i used to torment back then with the remote control

He cries all the time, worried about his 4 pint of blood drying up grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 11:18pm On Nov 24, 2008
~aah okies grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Gamine(f): 1:59am On Nov 27, 2008
Sew nine holly-leaves on to your nighttime clothing,

borrow a wedding ring and place it on the third finger of your left hand, and then go to bed.

During the night, your future husband will appear to you in a vision.

grin grin grin grin grin, i wish!

Bees were once considered to deliberately sting those who swore in front of them,

and also to attack an adulterer or unchaste person.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

If someone is sweeping the floor and sweeps over your feet, you'll never get married.

cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 4:58am On Nov 27, 2008
~LOL cheesy the superstitions you post Gamine are all new & very interesting ones i havent read/heard before!

Bees were once considered to deliberately sting those who swore in front of them,

and also to attack an adulterer or unchaste person

~This got me LMAO grin

~Been meaning to ask my Nana for some popular ones from back home that i cant remember!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Andala: 5:24am On Nov 27, 2008
Never break a mirror if not you broke your destiny
If you cross over someone the person will become short
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Gamine(f): 8:49pm On Nov 27, 2008
@Mohawk,

Just saw and read them too, grin

More;

if you give anyone an empty purse he will never be blessed with riches. Place a coin inside it for luck, cheesy

Cat: When you see a one-eyed cat, spit on your thumb, stamp it in the palm of your hand, and make a wish. The wish will come true.
lipsrsealed

Horseshoes: Witches fear horses, so they are also turned away by a door with a horseshoe mounted on it. The horseshoe must be hung with the points up to keep the luck from spilling out.
lipsrsealed

When a baby leaves its mother's room for the first time, it should be carried upstairs before it is carried downstairs, in order to ensure its success in the world.

When you move to a new house, always enter first with a loaf of bread and a new broom. Never bring an old broom into the house. grin grin

Dream of fish: someone you know is pregnant. shocked

A bed changed on Friday will bring bad dreams. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ojora Of Lagos, Oba Fatai Aremu Marries A New Wife (Photos, Video) / The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Masquerade Wearing Lord’s Chosen Church’s Overalls in Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.