Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,213 members, 7,780,397 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:34 PM

Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely (13373 Views)

Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by geeez: 2:02pm On Feb 20, 2013
It's the same people responsible for the filth that come here to scream, Lagos is the third dirtiest city in the world
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by 9jaIhail(m): 2:03pm On Feb 20, 2013
nl.official:
[size=15pt]Shame on all of you that bring tribalism to every thread. We all know that the spare parts are usually brought used. [/size]

Don't blame anyone who read ethnic motive on this plan, why because recently lagos state under fashola seem to bent on making sure they reduced the population of igbos in that state. About a week ago or so, there was a news that said about 43 spare part sellers shops was locked up in lagos for failing to pay annual registration fee which is about 50knaira per shop, that got on my nerves because i am very much conversant about how trading works in lagos more than most of commentators here. In lagos state every shop pay annual trading permit,now isn't it harsh to demand another 50knaira annually from a trader who's goods may not worth 500k?

Formerly trade permit fee is about 4500naira later increased and kept increasing till it get to 12k above, how do you expect a trader who has responsibility to pay for his shop rent which is not less than 300k or 400k annually to pay you trade permit fee and pay another annual registration fee of 50k, these traders has house rent to pay and other responsibilities, oh what a Government for the people.

People let keep sentiment away and be realistic in some certain issues, today it is the turn of these people it maybe other peoples turn tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by manny4life(m): 2:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
One thing I've realized from LASG is that though they have good intentions, HOWEVER, the way they go about is EVIL. An open market is usually dirty, how dirty or filthy is story for another day. Why shut down the market? This is what makes Oyibo people smarter than us, rather they will have dump truck, sanitation folks who come daily to pick out the trash, clean out everywhere --- win win for everyone.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by babestella: 2:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
Is it the same market where both Lagos state govt officials, local govt, and even agberos go on a daily basis to collect sanitation levy? What happened to the trucks na, is it that they now collect money and refuse to come and clear the area of filth. I know in my street alone, the truck doesn't come until after 2 or 3 days of the expected day of evacuation. So what are we talking about, if that happens in Ladipo you can imagine what level of filth you'll be dealing with. Abeg, if Lagos state government have failed in clearing refuse from Ladipo, they should simply admit it and set up sustainable infrastructure that can work in that area. Not blaming the traders for the failure on their responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by seunajia: 2:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
why should the government be the ones cleaning the markets? Government has no business doing that, C'mon! The agents of government can come in with regards to sanitation issues. The traders should clean the markets as they so will and let private people pack and dispose the wastes at government dumpsites.

I'm aware LASG's ministry of environment licensed various private investors who's duty is to pick up waste from Lagos streets and markets and to dispose same at various designated government dumpsites.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Afam4eva(m): 2:07pm On Feb 20, 2013
seunajia:

You should really watch it. You are his moderator and thus should not be seen championing hate provoking sentiments.
I'm not his moderator. I'm a Nairaland moderator and my duty is to sanitize this section and not to speak for Nairaland. I'm not an employee of Nairaland but a volunteer. Know the difference.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by manny4life(m): 2:07pm On Feb 20, 2013
seunajia:

You should really watch it. You are his moderator and thus should not be seen championing hate provoking sentiments.

And BTW! why should the government be the ones cleaning the markets? Government has no business doing that, C'mon! The agents of government can come in with regards to sanitation issues. The traders should clean the markets as they so will and let private people pack and dispose the wastes at government dumpsites.

I'm aware LASG's ministry of environment licensed various private investors who's duty is to pick up waste from Lagos streets and markets and to dispose same at various designated government dumpsites.

How did he champion hateful provoking sentiments? You guys seem to read beyond your noses, he made a fair comment and that is termed bigotry. Na wa for you people o...

2 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2013
9ja_I_hail:

Don't blame anyone who read ethnic motive on this plan, why because recently lagos state under fashola seem to bent on making sure they reduced the population of igbos in that state. About a week ago or so, there was a news that said about 43 spare part sellers shops was locked up in lagos for failing to pay annual registration fee which is about 50knaira per shop, that got on my nerves because i am very much conversant about how trading works in lagos more than most of commentators here. In lagos state every shop pay annual trading permit,now isn't it harsh to demand another 50knaira annually from a trader who's goods may not worth 500k?

Formerly trade permit fee is about 4500naira later increased and kept increasing till it get to 12k above, how do you expect a trader who has responsibility to pay for his shop rent which is not less than 300k or 400k annually to pay you trade permit fee and pay another annual registration fee of 50k, these traders has house rent to pay and other responsibilities, oh what a Government for the people.

People let keep sentiment away and be realistic in some certain issues, today it is the turn of these people it maybe other peoples turn tomorrow.

Well I sympathize with those traders but haven said that, the traders can protest and decide to leave Lagos en-masse so that when Lagosians suffer from that, the Govt will have no choice but to recall them and lower the rates....there is something call bargaining chip or more diabolically...blackmail... cheesy wink wink
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Hardfact: 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2013
Gov Fashola thinks the only singular way to tackle issues like this is to simply shut down, I mean shut down the entire market. No other effective/efficient way to address these issues. That's excellent, the people's gov in action!
Similarly, one effective/efficient way to tame/put in check his wild tyrannical tendencies and insensitivity to the plight of the ordinary people is to simply shut down every form of support for his future political ambition (be it Presidential, VP, Senate) and his party.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by hajieazi(m): 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
Nightshift: After Alaba, Ladipo is the second most important market for Igbo traders in Lagos. Personally, it smells like ethnic cleansing in the making. In a very filthy city like Lagos, one wonders why Ladipo is being made a scapegoat in this particular situation.

l beg to disagree with you. l doubt you know these markets inside out. Ladipo market is extremely dirty. it's not too far from my house @ Papa Ajao. Another competing market in terms of dirt is the mile 12 market. over the years, the state govt have been applying stick and carrot approach to address the situation, but on the part of the local govt council, it's business, business and business----just collect daily levies,business permit, lock up shop permit,canopy extension levy and gratis from the market unions weekly . Mile 12/ketu markets were shut recently too as a result of poor sanitary condition. We should encourage govt to apply punitive measures inorder to get our society back. Lagos that l know in the late 70s, 80s and 90s was clean.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by 9jaIhail(m): 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
manny4life: One thing I've realized from LASG is that though they have good intentions, HOWEVER, the way they go about is EVIL. An open market is usually dirty, how dirty or filthy is story for another day. Why shut down the market? This is what makes Oyibo people smarter than us, rather they will have dump truck, sanitation folks who come daily to pick out the trash, clean out everywhere --- win win for everyone.

Many of these people singing fashola praises on this devilish actions are bigots, most of them travel out of Nigeria, some of them are resident of developed countries and they all knew how it works. No reasonable Govt push it citizens who engaged in legitimate means of making living to tight corner rather the Govt will come in and assist the citizens by modernizing the means of trading or whatever they does.

But in Nigeria everything goes by tribe and sentiment.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Afam4eva(m): 2:11pm On Feb 20, 2013
Hardfact: Gov Fashola thinks the only singular way to tackle issues like this is to simply shut down, I mean shut down the entire market. No other effective/efficient way to address these issues. That's excellent! S
That's one of the reasons why i fault Fashola's style of doing things. he always takes the easy way out rather than tackling the issues from the root.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Demdem(m): 2:11pm On Feb 20, 2013
The market is not shut yet. It's a warning targeted to all traders there to be clean and follow the laws of the land. This isn't wickedness afterall if its shut, it won't be the first market in lagos to be.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by 9jaIhail(m): 2:15pm On Feb 20, 2013
ilugunboy:

Well I sympathize with those traders but haven said that, the traders can protest and decide to leave Lagos en-masse so that when Lagosians suffer from that, the Govt will have no choice but to recall them and lower the rates....there is something call bargaining chip or more diabolically...blackmail... cheesy wink wink

The bolded part got me laughing, bruv how do you identify who is lagosian? is fashola not from ibadan but his parents gave his birth in lagos? Now my question is how can someone who was born in lagos and who by birth is automatically a lagosian leave lagos? You guys need to stop swimming in tribalism.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by babestella: 2:17pm On Feb 20, 2013
It is filthy because the waste evacuation trucks and personnel are not doing their jobs. Here and there you have people using dilapidated waste disposal trucks to do business, it works for one day and breaks down for 1 month. What are you talking about, invariably they waste keep piling and who's to blame ? Is it the marketers who pay their monthly waste disposal levy or the govt and the contractors who are failing in their responsibility to evacuate waste from the area, please lets be realistic here. Ladipo is a spare part market, and it is expected that there would be a lot of waste disposal activity needed in that area. Recyclers are even trying their best, these days they go to those markets and pick anything from metals to polyethylene bags, so you hardly find waste in form of iron or polyethylene there, the other kind of waste is oil, I understand that ere people who buy condemn oil too for certain heating processes. Talk about batteries, a lot of recyclers are on ground buying them. Please Lagos state should tell us their hidden agenda in that market.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:19pm On Feb 20, 2013
Afam and the others lambasting this action...please direct me to your comments on this post:

https://www.nairaland.com/1171931/lagos-shut-mile-12-ketu

I want to see how fervently you reacted the way you are doing it here...otherwise you folks are just bigots.. undecided

Seun and OAM4J...Pls call Afam to order to stop hiding Yoruba people's comments.

4 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by manny4life(m): 2:21pm On Feb 20, 2013
9ja_I_hail:

Many of these people singing fashola praises on this devilish actions are bigots, most of them travel out of Nigeria, some of them are resident of developed countries and they all knew how it works. No reasonable Govt push it citizens who engaged in legitimate means of making living to tight corner rather the Govt will come in and assist the citizens by modernizing the means of trading or whatever they does.

But in Nigeria everything goes by tribe and sentiment.

This is ridiculous, LASG needs to rethink their policies. Last year I went to NY fashion district with my mom, and goodness gracious, from Penn station to Broadway, the filthy streets, pot holes with water, just eewed me, but I give them credit because there are dump trucks like few blocks away, street cleaners, so many people working day and evening to keep the streets clean. It was dirty but DAMN, I had to give them credit. Meanwhile this is city that controls billion of $$$ in economic activity
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by 9jaIhail(m): 2:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
manny4life:

This is ridiculous, LASG needs to rethink their policies. Last year I went to NY fashion district with my mom, and goodness gracious, from Penn station to Broadway, the filthy streets, pot holes with water, just eewed me, but I give them credit because there are dump trucks like few blocks away, street cleaners, so many people working day and evening to keep the streets clean. It was dirty but DAMN, I had to give them credit. Meanwhile this is city that controls billion of $$$ in economic activity

If it happened to be lagos guess what fashola action will be.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Demdem(m): 2:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
Afam, why are u hiding my posts and leaving that of ur igbo brothers. If I have committed any offence then ban me. Hiding my truthful posts is an act of cowardice to further enthrenched ur igbo stance. This is nairaland not igboland or igbokwenu.com.

2 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by emiye(m): 2:26pm On Feb 20, 2013
onitshaigbo: Why do people hate us Igbos? Why can't we all live side by side anywhere in Nigeria? Must Igbos stay in Igboland, Yorubas stay in Yorubaland? Outside of Nigeria, we are all Nigerians and other Africans don't give a damm what ethnic group we belong to. Outside of Africa, we are all blacks, and nobody gives a damm what country we came from.

The hate that we have for each other allows others to come and exploit us.

shhhhhhhhhhhh sad, you are so annoying. Stop whining.

Closing the market is on point. Human beings sometimes only react to pain.
A clean environment is a mutual responsibility of both the Govt and the Marketers.

Judging from the Commissioners statement, they have dialogued with them several times, but no significant improvement.

Moreover, the market has not been shut yet.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:26pm On Feb 20, 2013
geeez: Good move. Long over due. That place could cause an epidemic that will kill thousands and remains major risk

How about Lagos Island too.. grin grin I have never seen soo much filth and degradation in my life.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
9ja_I_hail:

The bolded part got me laughing, bruv how do you identify who is lagosian? is fashola not from ibadan but his parents gave his birth in lagos? Now my question is how can someone who was born in lagos and who by birth is automatically a lagosian leave lagos? You guys need to stop swimming in tribalism.

Oh very simple!....when you live and perform your civic responsibilities to the govt of Lagos..you are a Lagosian.

Please never misconstrue a Lagosian as a Lagos-indigene...they don't mean the same.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by seunajia: 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not his moderator. I'm a Nairaland moderator and my duty is to sanitize this section and not to speak for Nairaland. I'm not an employee of Nairaland but a volunteer. Know the difference.

Abeg! I'm not for this your fruitless merry-go-round! Whatever is your designation, my point remains the same. Show responsibility.

manny4life:

How did he champion hateful provoking sentiments? You guys seem to read beyond your noses, he made a fair comment and that is termed bigotry. Na wa for you people o...

Afam4eva: @topic
I don't know any market in Lagos that is not dirty. If Ladipo can be closed then 90% of markets in Lagos deserve to be shut down #justsaying.

Ladipo is one of the dirtiest markets in Lagos, No?

Afam cannot swear that he didn't come across it in the news that other markets got shut for same, including Ketu and Mile 12, No?

So what then is the point? Mr. Voltron, Were wayo o angry
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Demdem(m): 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
The issue at stake goes beyond a clean market but the inability of the occupiers of this market to obey basic enviromental laws which are being implemented in other markets. Defaulting markets before now has been sanctioned and closed down so why should this be an exception?

Again kudos to Fashola and I hope this will be extended to all markets in lagos.
Amaechi is doing something similar here in oil mill market in ph, no one is talking about igbo cleansing oooo.

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Sealeddeal(m): 2:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
The statement didnt just say that 'Ladipo will be shut'.the commissioner said that 'Ladipo will be shut,IF the traders fail to comply with environmental laws'.there is no reason why people will disobey law and expect to go unpunished.Govt has the right to enforce order thats necessary to maintaining a decent environment.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
That's one of the reasons why i fault Fashola's style of doing things. he always takes the easy way out rather than tackling the issues from the root.

It will take several (pro-active) successive APC regimes to clear the root of the problems.
1: Over-population in urban Lagos (Majority of Nigeria migrates to Lagos City and no where else in the state)
2: Inadequate civil infrastructure (Health, Affordable Housing, Education, Electricity, Trade Zones etc)
3: Sustainable Employment (not Keke-marwa or Keke-Napep today then Keke-tinubu tomorrow)
4: More (Efficient) PPP projects sustained by Donor+Government Funding (Less siphoning to you-know-where)

As you can see, shutting down is not sustainable, it is not a solution,it is a quick-fix, wrapping foil-paper on a compound fracture.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by manny4life(m): 2:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
9ja_I_hail:

If it happened to be lagos guess what fashola action will be.

I bet he'll close it down, an open market that controls the entire economy of Lagos, perhaps if he does, he will tell me all them taxes and fees he's collecting, where he will get them from.

More reasons why Fashola should not even be allowed to come near presidency because his thinking is just straightforward. You don't solve issues like that, you explore ALL possible options, and closing down a market because it's dirty is the one of the most stupid reasons I've heard.

I've always said this, and this is not about Igbos ONLY, but others as well, LAGOS is gradually becoming business unfriendly. People need to start looking for other alternatives, whether it's Ladipo or mile 12 or Ketu or whichever, it's WRONG.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by onitshaigbo(m): 2:34pm On Feb 20, 2013
Sealeddeal: The statement didnt just say that 'Ladipo will be shut'.the commissioner said that 'Ladipo will be shut,IF the traders fail to comply with environmental laws'.there is no reason why people will disobey law and expect to go unpunished.Govt has the right to enforce order thats necessary to maintaining a sound environment.

What you said is true, but the problem is that there are many many markets that violate state laws. The state government however is only closing down those that are dominated by Igbos.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Demdem(m): 2:36pm On Feb 20, 2013
Still Afam hasn't justified why my post is hidden. My not been banned suggest that I commited no offence. No doubt, Afam is a bigot.

2 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by manny4life(m): 2:36pm On Feb 20, 2013
seunajia:

Abeg! I'm not for this your fruitless merry-go-round! Whatever is your designation, my point remains the same. Show responsibility.

Ladipo is one of the dirtiest markets in Lagos, No?

Afam cannot swear that he didn't come across it in the news that other markets got shut for same, including Ketu and Mile 12, No?

So what then is the point? Mr. Voltron, Were wayo o angry

My friend, use your glasses this time and READ AGAIN.

He said he doesn't know of any market that isn't dirty, in that case 90% of all market should be closed, including ketu and mile 12 and every other market in several cities till it has achieved the 90% passmark, understand the English?

Geez, yall read meaning into nothing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Senate Moves To Tackle Erosion In South-East (Video) / Reno Omokri Donates ₦500,000 To Southern Kaduna Mass Killings Victims / Fuel Price Hike Looms Nationwide As Marketers Meet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.