Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Making Movies For An International Audience? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Making Movies For An International Audience? (1098 Views)

My Top 20 Movies For 2015 So Far / Website For Downloading Korean Movies For Free.., (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Movies For An International Audience? by Seun(m): 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2008
Is it realistic for Nigerians to make movies for the rest of the world, not just Nigeria or Africa?

- How do you distribute your movie internationally without world distributors? www.createspace.com

- How do you deal with the strange Nigerian English accent? Subtitles? Speech training for actors?

- How do you create a storyline that travels well? Make action and horror movies, which travel well?
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by Seun(m): 6:14pm On Mar 17, 2008
It seems to be just two of us - for now. Many filmmakers don't even consider International distribution. sad
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by iice(f): 6:36am On Mar 20, 2008
combrazor:

if you could get a Nigerian movie onto some art house screens, the amount of money it will make will be small, compared to the gross of, say, the last James Bond movie. but it will still probably bring in more money than it did in Nigeria.

And show others our capabilities
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by iice(f): 12:35pm On Mar 20, 2008
I remember watching the Oscars and in the foreign movies categories. . ."Mongol" from Kazakhstan and all i could think about was, were is our own? undecided

It doesn't have to be oscar-worthy (as they say) or a blockbuster or even a smash hit. . .but something of substance that would garner attention and make others take an interest and even anticipate the next thing to come out. Just ma opinion
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by Seun(m): 5:35pm On Mar 20, 2008
Amazing Grace Nollywood 'outsells' Hollywood Version: well, for 24 hours. Currently the Hollywood version is doing much much much better. By the way, their US distributor is the US is Code Black Entertainment. They might be interested in distributing other high profile Nigerian movies.

sorry to say, but I really don't see it happening in the near future. Not from the Nollywood establishment, anyway.
I disagree. If we focus on competent and original storytelling rather than shooting on film et cetera, it's quite possible.
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by Seun(m): 8:14pm On Mar 20, 2008
i said "not the from Nollywood establishment," didn't i?
We're on the same page then. The question is now, who will be the first to cross the line? wink
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by andrewdg(m): 1:23pm On May 14, 2008
combrazor you know much, but what do you suggest is the way. can nairaland cross the line?
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by andrewdg(m): 3:39pm On May 16, 2008
attaining international recognition with an idea by any nairalander?
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by gigaplex: 6:13pm On Oct 19, 2010
All,

If you know of any good Nigerian movie producers looking for distribution, we can help. We specialize in distributing international content over iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

Theatrical distribution can be difficult but great nollywood movies deserve to be seen outside Nigeria as well. For more information, see
www.igigaplex.com

Parag
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by RSAMAN(m): 9:46am On Oct 21, 2010
all nolly movies need to stay in nigeria, the world doesn't need to be fed with poo!
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by Afam4eva(m): 1:18pm On Oct 21, 2010
Seun i don't agree with No 2. So you want Nigerians to start faking their accent because they want to please the international audience. How come Indian movies are popular worldwide even though they don't even use English and why do American speak with their own accent. Do they think it's everyone that understands them?
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by PROJECT: 9:07pm On Oct 25, 2010
rsaman,pls if u dont know what to say can u keep ur mouth shut for a while and let othersmake constructive contributions,if u dont see any good coming out of nigeria then look elsewhere,we have seen kajola,ije,dangerous men,figurine and some feww others america is over 100 years old and they didnt get to where they are overnight.
seun so many american movies are shot on hd cameras,its the lighting and color grading that makes the difference most times,the problem with us is finance and so what i propose is partnership with like minds and not just talking on nairaland,i have started something and will be in nigeria in a few months time,i am working with canon,redone and sony xd cam cos thats what a lot of guys use even in the u.s cos producing film now is expensive.i know in the next one year we will see changes cos i have met a lot of nigerian doing great things and soon we will get to see them
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by steeze(m): 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2010
Project, i don't know abt kajola tho. I can only give dem thumbs up for making an attempt. I propose we do less talk more action.
Re: Making Movies For An International Audience? by gigaplex: 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2010
Project,

You seem knowledgeable about Nollywood. Do you know of good Nollywood producers looking for wider distribution outside of Nigeria? We can help.

(1) (Reply)

Funke Akindele Set To Release Jenifa 3 / Photos From AMAA 2012 / 11 Ways To Identify Nigerian Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.