Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,881 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop (13814 Views)

Cardinal Onaiyekan Disowns Recent Interview Against President Buhari / Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie / Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina Named New Pope, Pope Francis! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2013
Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, is stepping down as leader of the Scottish Catholic Church.

It follows allegations - which he contests - of inappropriate behaviour towards priests dating from the 1980s.

In a statement, he apologised to those he had offended during his ministry.

The cardinal confirmed he would not take part in the election for a successor to the Pope - leaving Britain unrepresented in the election.

He said Pope Benedict has accepted his resignation as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh.

Cardinal O'Brien said in a statement he had already tendered his resignation, due to take effect when he turned 75 next month, but that Pope Benedict "has now decided that my resignation will take effect today".

He said the pontiff would appoint an apostolic administrator to govern the archdiocese in his place until his successor is appointed.

Church crisis

The cardinal also said: "I have valued the opportunity of serving the people of Scotland and overseas in various ways since becoming a priest.

"Looking back over my years of ministry: For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended.

"I do not wish media attention in Rome to be focused on me - but rather on Pope Benedict XVI and on his successor.

"However, I will pray with them and for them that, enlightened by the Holy Spirit, they will make the correct choice for the future good of the Church."

The resignation of Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the wake of allegations of improper behaviour creates a crisis for the Church in Scotland, and represents a heavy blow to the wider Church as it battles to shore up its reputation ahead of the papal election or "conclave".

The conclave is already expected to be difficult in the circumstances created by Pope Benedict's unprecedented resignation.

The Vatican is also struggling to deal with reports of internal corruption and mismanagement.

Cardinal O'Brien's resignation is also a personal tragedy for himself.

Allegations made

His role as Britain's only representative in the papal election next month would have been one of his last acts before he retired.

He said in a BBC interview on Friday that he found the responsibility of helping to choose a successor to Pope Benedict "almost frightening".

Jack Valero from Catholic Voices, a media lobby group that represents many Catholics in the UK, says the allegations against the cardinal have been handled properly.

"I think it's right that he's resigned, faced with these allegations.

"I am very happy that they have been taken seriously, that the nuncio - who is the Pope's representative in the UK - has written to the four people who have made the allegations to thank them for speaking out, and that the whole thing has been done so quickly. I think this shows a new spirit."

The Observer reported that the three priests and one former priest - from the diocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh - complained to the Pope's representative to Britain, nuncio Antonio Mennini, in the week before 11 February, when Pope Benedict announced his resignation, of what they claimed was the cardinal's inappropriate behaviour towards them in the 1980s.

The former priest claims Cardinal O'Brien made an inappropriate approach to him in 1980, after night prayers, when he was a seminarian at St Andrew's College, Drygrange.

The complainant says he resigned as a priest when Cardinal O'Brien was first made a bishop.

He reportedly says in his statement: "I knew then he would always have power over me. It was assumed I left the priesthood to get married. I did not. I left to preserve my integrity."

A second statement from another complainant says he was living in a parish when he was visited by O'Brien, and inappropriate contact took place between them.

A third complainant alleges dealing with what he describes as "unwanted behaviour" by the cardinal in the 1980s after some late-night drinking.

And the fourth complainant claims the cardinal used night prayers as an excuse for inappropriate contact.

Cardinal O'Brien missed celebrating Sunday Mass in St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh, which marked Pope Benedict's eight years in office, ahead of the pontiff stepping down this week.

Outspoken views

In resigning his post at the head of the Scottish Catholic Church, Cardinal O'Brien blights the end of an illustrious career only a few weeks before he was due to retire.

The development is understood to have been prompted by a concern to protect the Church from further destabilizing speculation during the papal election.

That process is already overshadowed by allegations against a number of the cardinals who are taking part, over their connection with their handling of the Church's sex abuse scandal.

Cardinal O'Brien will be remembered in particular as a forthright defender - occasionally in outspoken and colourful terms - of Catholic teaching on abortion, euthanasia and homosexuality.

Last week Cardinal O'Brien said he believed priests should be able to marry if they wished to do so.

He said the new Pope could consider whether the Roman Catholic Church should change its stance on some issues, not of divine origin.

"For example the celibacy of the clergy, whether priests should marry - Jesus didn't say that," he said.

The cardinal was named Bigot of the Year last year by gay rights charity Stonewall for his stance on gay marriage.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21572724
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 25, 2013
Whats with catholic priests and homo-se.x scandals...dem swear for them??with all the sweet and nourishing punnies everywhere,its always priests and alter boys or priests vs priests.why is always oyibo priests involved abi sahara reporters never ready to expose the ones down here in naija..cos im sure something like that happens in our seminaries and parishes.

3 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by sammynaijaguy(m): 2:46pm On Feb 25, 2013
lol
datovid :
2nd to comment :P2nd to comment

BTW..its beta he resigned

check again fool
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 25, 2013
Good one for the church's image

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by StFrank2(m): 2:50pm On Feb 25, 2013
End time... So many strange things are happening
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Scarpon(m): 2:53pm On Feb 25, 2013
lie lie the conji spirit is high simple
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by kheart(m): 2:53pm On Feb 25, 2013
Na today? even d pope did nt just resign like that. There s something he s hiden which i suspect has to with dis same home se... X scandal.

2 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 25, 2013
embarassed
sammynaijaguy: lol
check again fool
embarassed
sammynaijaguy: lol
check again fool

So wats d beef
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by alexy147(m): 2:54pm On Feb 25, 2013
Absord....disgrace....
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by elampiro(m): 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2013
But the Cardinal is contesting this allegation. He has been the one fighting the Cameron government not to legalize same sex marriage. Hope it is not a case of 'when you want to fight corruption, corruption fights you back'.

3 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by nikejoy: 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2013
God will forgive you
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Krucifax(m): 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2013
What we are all seeing is a slow war against religion and religious institutions. There is a battle for the soul of the church as pressure groups the world over are slowing trying to change the principles upon which the church is built. Amongst these are;

1. Redefinition of marriage.
2. Acknowledgement of gay and lesbian marriage.
3. Selection of parts of the bible to adhere and parts to ignore.
4. Recourse under law to challenge church practises in the courts.
5. Banning of circumcision.

It's all under the guise of modernisation. And while it is true that religion has to reflect the times, a refusal of certain doctrines simply equates to a total undermining of the whole religion.
Don’t be fooled, it’s not only a Catholic problem! All churches are indeed under a quite and subtle siege. From people who do not really believe in doctrine at it’s heart but still wish to be considered adherents of the faith whilst selecting parts of the scripture they find palatable and rejecting the rest!
Essentially “they” seek to redefine Christianity! As it is one of the more popular and docile religions. Any attempts on the aforementioned on a religion like say Islam, would see the gates of hell opened on anyone attempting it!
There is cause to be joyful though, as these practises are largely relegated to North America and parts of Europe, unfortunately some of us live there and more importantly our offsprings would have to live here to!

12 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by donez(m): 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2013
I think its beta d start getin married..2 kip celibacy no easy, bodi no be firewood
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by atura: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
interesting. after how many years no forgiveness.
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by OluEmmaAss: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
Seems like this is a year of surprises for the catholic church.
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by kokoye(m): 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
This was bound to happen anyway.

In a colony full of Hot 'bones', what do you expect?

It is just like a prison - they s.h.a.g what they see.
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by MackyNene(f): 3:04pm On Feb 25, 2013
God please take care of ur church...May the faithfuls be lead through, Amen
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Adanyebe(m): 3:04pm On Feb 25, 2013
what all this about the here and there resignations in the catholic church

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Chanchit: 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2013
Open letter to GEJ

If the Pope and Cardinal can do it
Yes you can
Yes you can
Yes you can...!

4 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Krucifax(m): 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2013
What some of you may not know is that Cardinal O’Brien whilst being the most senior Catholic clergy in the U.K was also very conservative, highly anti-homosexuality and a staunch defender of traditional values.
I do not defend or criticise the man as i do not know the truth in these allegation but i wish to point out that these actions were clearly engineered to undermine the man.
A slightly similar thing was witnessed in the Church of England where a traditional value loving Arch Bishop made way for one more amenable to gay rights. Do the research!

6 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Okijajuju1(m): 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2013
How many Man Servers and Parishoners litte boys did he f*uck?! angry
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by israel007: 3:07pm On Feb 25, 2013
The church is a wonderful place. Shocking how long we bear grudges and still preach forgiveness.
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Bawss1(m): 3:10pm On Feb 25, 2013
Krucifax: What we are all seeing is a slow war against religion and religious institutions. There is a battle for the soul of the church as pressure groups the world over are slowing trying to change the principles upon which the church is built. Amongst these are;

1. Redefinition of marriage.
2. Acknowledgement of gay and lesbian marriage.
3. Selection of parts of the bible to adhere and parts to ignore.
4. Recourse under law to challenge church practises in the courts.
5. Banning of circumcision.

Was this not done a very long time ago when certain "deciding bodies" selected the 66 books that we now refer to as the Bible?

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Symphony007: 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2013
The next pope has a lot of work to do!! There is a growing indication that these child sex abuse, inappopraite relations, between priest, vatican bank corruption, parish account corruption,etc. is far reaching around the global catholic church, the new pope has to get in front of this before it exploades and when it does the oldest church in christaindom will go down with him. This coming papal election will be the most consequential in modern history.
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by doctokwus: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2013
The catholic church must be commended for now being open& willing to tackle dese recurring sexual charges head-on.It has rather strengthened d catholic church against other churches rather dan weakened it in relation,as some wud want pple to bliv,bc if d nauseating activities carried out by priests/pastors in other churches,ordained or self appointed,are revealed,I doubt if any one of dem will b able to still kp 10% of their rational,free-minded congregations,not d brain washed ones

5 Likes

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by amarral: 3:14pm On Feb 25, 2013
gbosaa: Whats with catholic priests and homo-se.x scandals...dem swear for them??with all the sweet and nourishing punnies everywhere,its always priests and alter boys or priests vs priests.why is always oyibo priests involved abi sahara reporters never ready to expose the ones down here in naija..cos im sure something like that happens in our seminaries and parishes.
mind d way u talk especially against annointed men.leave dem in their mistakes n let God alone judge.

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by amarral: 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2013
Olu-Emma & Ass.:
Seems like this is a year of surprises for the catholic church.
Meaning?
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by Rosie114(f): 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2013
gbosaa: Whats with catholic priests and homo-se.x scandals...dem swear for them??with all the sweet and nourishing punnies everywhere,its always priests and alter boys or priests vs priests.why is always oyibo priests involved abi sahara reporters never ready to expose the ones down here in naija..cos im sure something like that happens in our seminaries and parishes.

may God have mercy on u.say wat u kno do not judge so that u ll not be judged. must you comment?
Re: Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop by amarral: 3:23pm On Feb 25, 2013
Adanyebe: what all this about the here and there resignations in the catholic church
don't u know d meaning of resignations?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Not Going To Church Affect Your Relationship With God / CAN President, Rev. Samson Ayokunle Asks Buhari To Dialogue With Nnamdi Kanu / How I Was Deceived At Winners Chapel And Had A Heart Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.