Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,576 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Prisoners Of War - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prisoners Of War (38932 Views)

We Are Able (THUG OF WAR) / Woman Of War --- A Story By Miss_fibre / Prisoner Of War - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:14pm On Feb 25, 2013
After awaiting for so long, I just decided to come up with this. It is original and no reference from other source.
Also note that the main location and settings are fictional. Though some locations (not frequently used) in this piece could be sited at areas around the present day Abia state, acts are yet fictional.

Censorship and Age Rating: Expletives are not used in this piece hence it is suitable for all age group.

Warning: No part of this work should be published, scripted on or off the forum without permission from the author, else be sued for plagiarism.

Signed: Eze Promoe

[size=32pt]STORY[/size]
Ahia-oru was as a remarkable festival in Umudioga, which usually takes place from the first to third afor day of onwa ifejioku, everyone have been involved in it from the begining to the after. Men where seen in their festive mood, women did all their best to please their spouse, children were moving around doing their normal duties.
In the spirit of the festival, love and happiness abounded.
Uju was not left out in that wonderful occasion, she tidied up the house and her late father's obokoro , a little hall in which the late Ichie Ararume hosted his guest but now it has become a playground for little children. Her mother has been the greatest ally to her sick bed since the last five ekes. Uju's beauty seemed to be dwindling since she does the work of a mother and also a sister. She hardly had the chance to hang out with her peer group which made her friends jokingly call her 'mama' but she didn't found this any bit funny but tried as hard to give a wry smile.
Uju was beautiful and also wise, which has earned her some respect amongst her peers. Her age mates came to her to find out and get a piece of her wisdom. Uju was suddenly waved back to reality, she wondered what has made tears run down her pretty cheeks.
'kpuhun kpuhun', her sick mother coughed hoarsely.

"Mama", Uju chorused in her usual low soft tune.

"My daughter, i hope you slept well?"

"Yes, I did." she replied her with a wry smile. "And i hope too that you're getting better?"

"We thank chi"

"Mama, you're getting better, I can see it."

"I hope so my daughter," she coughs coarsely again and then continued;

"Where is Agunna, Ulumma and Oby?" she asked.

These were the names of Uju siblings from the eldest to the youngest.
Agunna was the only surviving son of Late Mazi Ararume after the Ogbunuguru pestilence that befell the community in the tender age of Agunna, that was why he was believed to be created by chi for a purpose.
Agunna was a good hunter even at his tender age, he brought home meats like grasscutter, porcupine, bush guinea fowl when it was his day. He would not eat his food any day he was unable to catch. His trap was as good and perfect, that Okoro, the village wag, in one of his joke said that 'it catches animal from afar. Ulumma and Oby were in their adolescent stages and knew not that much about life.

"They aren't up yet", Uju said depressed.

Her mother's state of health was less assuring. Though still alive but was as good as dead. Uju never tried to imagine her mother lying lifeless.

"Mama, have you taken your medicinal leaves?"

"I do by chi's grace", she replied in a more fainting tone.

Uju was even more worried and perplexed by her mother's ever fainting tone. She wondered what in the world could revive her mother to the hardworking and caring mother that took care of her and her siblings.

"Mama, can I take you to your bamboo chair", she said in a voice as if she was going to shed tears.

4 Likes

Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2013
GLOSSARY

Ahia-oru - a festival celebrated to mark the half of the year.

The first to third afor day of onwa Ifejioku - this falls in between the 2nd week to the mid 4th week of August

obokoro - a small hall built for entertainment of visitors
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:01pm On Feb 25, 2013
She couldn't help herself off her subconscious state of thoughts. How long would she remain this way? How will she cope performing motherly duties to her siblings? Thoughts like these kept on ringing in her head. She was brought back to reality when her mother coughed and waved for urgent attention.

"Water", the ailing woman cried out.

Uju was in great fear and anxiety but that wasn't the case for Agunna, her immediate younger brother. She was surprised to see him playing and chasing after agama lizards at such critical moment. He seemed not to be bothered about their mother's illness. Agunna was so passionate about hunting being the youngest hunter known in Umudioga. Many had likened him to a god in the game, seeing how successful he was above his contemporaries. This sort of passion irked his mother and sisters so much that they scolded him regularly even if he had brought home meats for the family. Uju reacted to his routine obsession like she would always do in her usual harsh tone, while Agunna could give response with reluctance to the call. On normal circumstance, he would just have ignored the call but he knew that things we're no longer the same with the family since his mother got ill. Everyone would run errands even for an enemy to see that the breadwinner of the family was up on her feet. Sibling rivalry becomes insignificant here.

"Go and call Mazi Echezona", she said with all her body wobbling cold in fear, "tell him that mama is critically ill."

Mazi Echezona was the only surviving brother to the sick Ochibiaram, he was the only one they could run to in such condition. Madueke, their father's brother though closer to them, was too much of a curmudgeon to be of help. Uju was quite sure that if he had his way, her mother would be long gone to the land of the spirits.
Meanwhile, Ochibiaram's cough was getting severe.

"Be fast", Uju cried out in a shaky voice, "forsake that needless trap of yours, make sure you get there immediately."

Uju knew her brother very well that he was too fond of his trap and would not go without checking on it either to spite her or to have another opportunity to be away from home.

"Make sure you go straight there, I beg you in the name of chi abiama".

Her fear was misplaced in actual sense—Agunna was not a toddler that he wouldn't know when to seperate something as life threatening as his mother's illness from pleasure. He ran as fast as he could and hoped he could run seven times faster.
On his way to Mazi Echezona's place, he met his peers on the way who on the other hand tried to coax him into joining them in their funfair as usual. Why would these boys not learn to take someone serious, do they think he was running for the fun of it?

"Please leave me alone" was all he could utter from his shaky mouth.

"Agu, praise your chi, you're very lucky today."

Agunna kept running ignoring them.

"You didn't hear us, I said your trap caught an antelope."

Agunna now ran even faster and wasn't deterred by persuasion from his peers.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:15pm On Feb 26, 2013
Ihedi, was Agunna's best friend, they had been friends from birth that they we're fond each other, watching after one another's back. Ihedi had just returned from chasing after him. The way Agunna had run desperately that day portended all wasn't well. This was Agunna who was so conscious of his trap, who would not eat in the morning without visiting his trap, sometimes he spent a whole day in the bush but there he was running after something that wasn't his trap, more like he was running from a life threatening situation. That was unlike Agu, he thought. He withdrew from the chase when his legs could no longer carry his bulge body along. He retreated to his home, where his mother was sitting anxiously waiting for him to come home. He was the only surviving child of his parents and they tried hard to avoid the same woe that befell them during the pestilence.
The cold hand of death snatched away two sons and two daughters; people saw this pestilence as inflicted upon the people by ojukwu, the god of chicken pox. It was said in the village that ojukwu struck in the village because a secret altar belonging to the deity was burnt down as a result of some bush burning activities. The farmers who burnt the bush were said to have died instanta of swollen stomach and ojukwu visited the entire village in its wrath. Some said the fault was from Omemgbe, the village chief priest who delayed in relaying the message from the gods.
Omemgbe was a powerful spiritualist who came from Item but nevertheless rendered a selfless service with passion to the people of Umudioga as though they were from his homeland. The greatest thing he had done for the villagers was driving away the witches that had overrun the land, to a river in the forest, hence earning the trust of the king and the whole villagers. But people thought he made more flaws than perfection. The ogbunuguru pestilence to them, had given all credence to this assertion. Others still insisted that Igwe Kalu, the traditional ruler, should still have a larger chunk of the blame. He, as asserted by them, was too proud and was not able to produce the requirements for the sacrifices to appease ojukwu before the pestilence.
But no matter whose fault it was, the tragic period was irrevocable, so they had to live with it.

"Nwam, you won't kill me o," Eringo, Ihedi's mother blasted. "You left the house early in the morning without telling us, you kept I and your Dede worrying about you all day".

She carefully chose her words to her son. When she saw traces of sad expression written on his face, she would retreat and what should be a moment of scolding would become a pet time. Ihedi was too emotionally fragile that he wouldn't find it hard to drip fast running tears at the slightest scolding. It was this puerile attitude that disgusts his father the most. Mazi Ewenike would one day come talking to his son and being rigid and hot-tempered by nature would likely say words that could easily make the overgrown baby recess into another session of lachrymal countenance. Ihedi would utter some slurs which his father considered very childish and irritating. Ewenike on his own side, would try all he can to control his anger and walk away from "his wife's baby" while Eringo came to play her usual role of the consoling him to his bed. Ewenike obviously enraged by this routine always berated Eringo as a typical African would do his wife for bearing him was a female child and had threatened to take another wife if Eringo did not give him another male child. To him, Ihedi passed off better as a female child than a male child. Even if he didn't actually mean to take in another wife, he would make his thread sound serious. Although Ewenike could be skittish atimes, Eringo wasn't emotionally pent-up for too long, she would let every thing slide after the scene.

"Nwam, stop crying", Eringo said wiping off the tears in his eyes.

Eringo tolerated all Ihedi's childish behaviour. She knew she may likely have reached her menopause and thus wouldn't be able to birth another child, hence she made his life hers as well. Sometimes she carried him on her back, this act made Ewenike even more angry.
'What is wrong with this woman, he thought. Why a boy who has seen fifteen new moons be backed like a suckling baby? In some occasions, he will go and force the lad down his mother's back, which prompted Eringo to address him as one was heartless and had no mindset of fatherhood.
Ewenike in turn accused her of over pampering him. It was at this instance that he began to use Agunna, his best friend, as example. Eringo considered this sort of comparison preposterous and unnecessary, buttressed by her use of the famous Igbo proverb, which says, 'otu nne na-amu mana otu chi adighi eke' (meaning 'men could be born of the same womb but not created by the same god'), to support her acts.

"What would my dear son like to eat so that I will prepare immediately?" she asked patting his back.

"Nothing", Ihedi replied undecidedly.

"Come on, you won't reject your favourite meal, will you?"

"Sad people don't eat".

"Are you telling me you're still sad", she smiled tickling his side.

"Stop stop stop," Ihedi said laughing uncontrollably.

"I won't until you tell me what you'll eat. You won't keep me idle today".

After moments of laughter, sadness had departed. He then finally said while laughing, "ofe áñàrà".
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:48am On Feb 27, 2013

Uju's eyes were swollen in tears, she had wept all day long.
After days of Ochibiaram's protracted illness came the inevitable—death. Uju was mad with grief, raving with words of lamentation.

"Could death have been so cruel?" she uttered bitterly

"Why strip the helpless off their helping hand?" She thought in pains.

She flashed back her memories to those good old days, days of mother's care and love. She was her hope, her support, her inspiration, everything she needed. Ochibiaram was a very strong woman that put her life in the line for her children. She had fought most of the time with her late husband's greedy brother, Madueke, to defend his possession for the future of her children. She was a thorn in his flesh, foiling every of his plan to annex her late husband's possession. Uju and her siblings would now be more vulnerable than ever with the departure of their sole defender. She wept bitterly at each thought of her. Ulumma and Oby followed suite, as if they were in a zone where consolation was forbidden, instead sympathizers would join the chorus.

"Stop crying, it will never solve matters," Adaeke, Uju's closest friend said with tears in her cheek. She found it almost impossible to console Uju, it was as if she was doing her bad by trying to restrain her from crying, even she couldn't hold herself.
This height of trauma was inexplicable, she felt Uju's pain deep in her heart.
People from far and wide were present to sympathize with the bereaved. Agunna wasn't present at the scene for reasons unknown to all, to the concern of mostly his peers;

"Where's Agunna", was the question in the air, yet no reply.
Whilst the question was still on air, all eyes were directed to a figure from afar where a grotesque figure of a young lad swinging in a sway-like momentum.

"Is he drunk", Uju thought as she saw him advancing towards the mourning crowd. Uju was surprised that Agunna seemed not to be bothered by the sorrowful ambience of the compound. His behaviour was rather becoming strange. The Agunna she knew was a curious cat who would not hesitate to ask questions on sighting such number of sympathizers in his father's house.

"Agu, mama is dead", she said to alert him of the situation on ground, notwithstanding,

Agunna was as calm as if he had heard the news before all of them. Uju didn't ask because of her mood, but this still did not clear the thoughts from the heart of the sympathizers.

"Are you sure he knows what death is", some of them thought, "or he thinks that death is just a vacation?"

Ochibiaram had lived a good life, her death had been an irreparable loss not only to her family but to other villagers. She had great influence on the community, been kind hearted and honest. She gave her children the best of training and catering even in the absence of her husband. At her prime, she was beautiful and clever. Her elegance attracted suitors to her even after her husband's death. Her voluptuousness was also an added advantage to her elegance. She was also liberal in her attitudes, and also had tolerance for anything. But now there was no life to keep such a genius moving.

"Oh death, what has man done to you that you can strike pitilessly?" Uju moaned.

Okoro was also present, but it seemed he wasn't drunk that day, he behaved quite sane unlike the usual village wag known to all. He sighted Agunna inside the room examining something that looks like a bone from how it appeared in his sight.

"Agu, why are you less concerned about mama's death?"

Agunna was startled by this word as he'd thought he was alone in the room. He raised his eyes up and saw Ulumma, his younger sister in tears, Agunna kept mute which angered her and she asked the same question the second time, now in a louder voice which moved Agunna from his position.
Re: Prisoners Of War by WAZOBIA3: 9:40am On Feb 28, 2013
Nice story you have there, but I haven't got to understand were the story is directed at but I believe as you keep updating, we'll get to know.
Re: Prisoners Of War by AfricaMagic(m): 9:47am On Feb 28, 2013
Hmmm nice traditional piece, keep updating, we're waiting.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:58am On Feb 28, 2013
"Why are you unconcerned about mama?" she asked rather too rigidly. She knew how to get on his nerves but Agunna wasn't really acting himself today. She was expecting to be hit by him and then their routine of physical combat would start from there. The duo had similar traits of aggressiveness, hot-temper and obstinacy. Ulumma in most fight lost the physical tussle but when it came to verbal tussle, her brother stood no chance. Their now late mother used to serve them punishment whenever they got into a fight but that had little impact on them. Agunna found solace in animal hunting when his nagging sister would not give him a breathing space but that wouldn't deter the trouble mongering Ulumma from seeking him in his comfort zone. She would be more careful at this point because she wasn't unaware that whatever injury inflicted would be solely blamed on her as the trespasser. Their sibling rivalry was popular amongst their peers and to many, it was fun to watch them fight. Agunna seemed indisposed to a tussle today—causing a scene would make them look like they were insensitive to the reality they found themselves in. For the first time, he would have to keep up with just trading words with his loquacious sister or run away from her which would portray him as the loser.

"Now let this be made known to you, I'm a man and men don't cry", Agunna managed to say, unaware of how silly he had sounded to her hearing.

Ulumma found this rather funny but was too pent-up to laugh.

What is so manly about a boy who's barely seen fifteen new moon, she thought.

"I don't think you're alright o", she finally found her voice, and exit the room.

Coming out of the house, she could see the crowd of sympathizers diminishing.

" Adannem, I would like to have a word with you", Uju twisted her neck sluggishly and saw Ulumma standing by her side with hands akimbo.

"What is it", answered Uju as she isolated herself from the crowd of sympathizers to hear what her sister had to say.

"I'm afraid o, Agunna is behaving somehow o. Come and be sure that it is not madness"
she said sardonically.

"Oh you people will not start that your fight again," Uju said bursting into fresh tears. Resolving regular conflicts between these two would be another hell of a task waiting for her.

"I'm sorry, adannem, Ulumma pleaded almost moved to weep along with her. "please forgive me for the pain I caused you with my words."

"Its okay, my sister", she said as she hugged her sister and both of them cried out loud.

Agunna could hear their voice from his room. He was truly disturbed. To him, he didn't think it right to mourn for the dead, as it won't make the corpse blink its eye. He had wished he could at least drop tears to please whoever that wanted to be pleased.

After everyone had left, Mazi Echezona came running into their compound. He had heard the news of his sister death and he had come to confirm all the way from Agbu-Ukwu. Mazi Echezona came along with his wife, they moved round the entire compound and finally knocked on the door while Uju and her siblings were indoors in a sober mood.

"Who is knocking?", asked the tender voice from inside.

"Its me", Echezona answered from outside.

They as well recognised his voice, so Ulumma ran to open the door for him.

"Thank chi you came to our aid", Ulumma said.

Uju was unhappy, as if Echezona's presence irritated her, Echezona noticed this,

"What's it, Uju?", asked Echezona, "Does my presence irritate you?".

"With all due respect uncle", Uju was more serious now, "is that how you're to respond to emergency calls?" She was in tears while speaking, she continued,
"You don't know what it means to be losing a loved one, even when we implored you for your attention and this is the time, yes, I mean the best time for you to respond to our call. Its okay", she said this with tears flowing like spring from her eyes.

Echezona was surprised. This accusation was too bizarre to understand. He faced his wife and said almost angrily,

"Why didn't you inform me about this?"

" Dim oma, I don't understand what's going on actually", she said solemnly, "I didn't get any message from either of them."

Everyone was surprised and all eyes was now on Agunna to explain.
His explanation would come as a shock to everyone;

"I was on my way, and I forsaw that mama was still going to die, so I had no option but to retreat", that was the explanation Agunna could force out after a short pause.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:09am On Feb 28, 2013
GLOSSARY:

ofe anara
- a soup prepared with garden egg leaves.

fifteen new moons - fifteen years

adannem - my eldest sister (NB: ada is first daughter)

dim oma: my dear husband
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:28am On Feb 28, 2013
WAZOBIA+:
Nice story you have there, but I haven't got to understand were the story is directed at but I believe as you keep updating, we'll get to know.
Walahi, the story hasn't begin yet. I promise ya
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:35am On Feb 28, 2013
Africa Magic: Hmmm nice traditional piece, keep updating, we're waiting.
Yea, I promise fast update. Thanks!
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:38am On Mar 01, 2013
Everyone was taken aback by his statement. In Uju's case, it was mad rage that moved her into a violent reaction, gripping his neck as though she would smother him but he was quick to pull himself out, ready for a fight but Mazi Echezona and his wife quickly separated them.

"You little wizard, you've seen what you did?", she bursted out furiously.

"And you witch, will you stop shouting at this time of the night", Agunna reciprocated in kind, the insult, "you're just trying to wake the untroubled spirits."

"That's it, you chose to visit your trap and ignore mama, what did she do to you that you hate her so much,"
Agunna flared up at such accusation, but he would restrain himself from acting because elders were present. Who knew what the fight would have resulted to if they weren't there.

"That's not true."

"Yes you did."

It was at this point that Echezona intervened by scolding them but more emphatically to Agunna.

"Enough of this nonsense! Agunna, accept your mistake and apologize to your sister. When did you become a seer to foresee the death of people? I can't believe it that you can still summon the effrontery to talk back at your elder sister after your shameful act. Do you know you killed your mother indirectly?"
That was too much for Agunna to bear which would make him leave the house in anger.

"If you dare to walk out on me, I will hit you with my staff," he threatened but Agunna seemed unmoved. Just a word from anyone would spur his final action.

"I hope mama's spirit never forgives you for this, "the unforgiving Uju retorted bitterly, "you're just as wicked and evil as any murderer."

Agunna was angered by this last statement, and he left the house. Everyone had expected him to come back since he would have nowhere to sleep that night but the reverse was the case, Agunna didn't come back as expected.
Uju could no longer hide her anxiety, she reached for her lantern and set for the exit door where Agunna had gone through, she wouldn't call his name loudly because it was very late in the night.

"Which sane person will go out this late in the night?" Uju thought aloud. "I hope nothing bad has happened to him".

Uju didn't gain much courage to go further in search of him, so she receded from her search for her brother.

"I couldn't find him", Uju muttered grievously.

"What!" Echezona exclaimed, "once it's dawn, you have to raise alarm to the villagers.

Uju was highly depressed, she has lost her mother and was likely to also lose her only brother. What will be of her and her sisters? Their father's "big-eyed" brother will surely displace them from their father's house and they'll be wanderers in their father's house. For the first time, she became remorseful, hating herself for all the accusation she had levelled against her brother. Of a truth, she went too far bearing such thought about him. That night became a long one for her, thus she could hardly find sleep even when Echezona and his wife was there with them.

It was the morning of the second afor of Ife Eke, everywhere looked quiet, only the footsteps of few by-passers who were moving their farm produce to the Afor market in Ejiji, a sub-village settlement of Umudioga. The central market, Nkwo Umudioga would be opened the next day, and continuously on four days interval just like every other markets. There was still no sign of Agunna's return, keeping everyone in a state of anxiety. Uju could not keep on hoping that he will turn up, hence she raised a deafening alarm to alert the villagers on her missing brother.

"Uju, what happened?", the ugly, round-eyed, scrawny sized Madueke, Uju's late father's brother, was the first to hear her even before Echezona did. Madueke lived just a stone throw from Ichie Ararume's compound, hence it would take him only a few walk to get there. It seemed to her like he had lurked around the house all night waiting for bad news of this kind.

"Nna anyi, its my brother", she told him nevertheless, "he's missing."

"Oh that's very bad, this cannot be happening again to my late brother."

Uju could sense every sarcasm in his tone, she knew how happy he would be within him. He had battled her mother severally over land belonging to her father. She did everything for Agunna her only son not to be disinherited but now he is missing, there would be no basis to sustain her mother's resistance of her evil uncle until he turns up alive. The possibility of Madueke being the brain behind her mother's death and her brother's disappearance was beginning to make sense in her head. She never trusted him even when he said;

"Don't worry to make more alarm, I'll go and look for him alone, I promise you he'll be back to you today",

She thought it unsafe for Madueke to be searching for him alone, hence she tried again to raise alarm louder than the first to call the attention of more spectators to the scene.

"No, stop shouting", Madueke applied restraint by covering her mouth with his hand, "or are you underestimating a family man like me?", he said angrily.

"No nna anyi", said Uju as she reluctantly succumbed to his restraints.

To her relief, Mazi Echezona attention had been called to the scene.

"Welcome, homeless boy", Madueke greeted disrespectfully, "you weren't invited here, were you?"
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
Eche was angered by his statement but he tried hard to restrain his outburst of anger. Madueke could see the anger written all over his face, he also made more effort to incite him to act.

"Why do you stare intently at me", he said looking straight into his eye, "are you going to beat me up?"

Uju was watching the two men scared. If this should get to a fight, it wouldn't be easy for her to seperate them. She feared most for what would happen to Echezona if it would result to the aforementioned. If Madueke were to be the underdog here, she wouldn't bother herself. She would love that ugly looking thing to be given the beating of his life.

"Please stop, i'm going to raise alarm o", she warned.

Just then, they saw three men, Nwakamma, Eriobu and Ochiora, who were friends to the late Ichie coming.

"You're welcome, young men", Madueke forced a smile.

The way in which Madueke addressed everyone as 'young man', disgusted Eche very much.
He almost wanted to condemn Madueke use of words, of refering to three titled men as 'young men'. He finally found a voice,

"Please Ichies I'm really sorry if you're offended by his words", Eche apologised on his behalf.

The ichies shrugged their shoulders to show that they care less of whatever that happens.

"We came to show our sincere condolence to the family of the deceased", Eriobu said on behalf of others.

"We appreciate your condolence, ichie", said Eche, "but we have a serious issue here now."

The ichies paid rapt attention to catch every glimpse of Eche's speech. Eche continued,

"we were still mourning our dead, when just late last night, Agunna the son of Ichie Ararume left the house to a destination unknown to us up till this moment."

"Are you kidding us?" asked Eriobu facing other ichies.

"Seriously, he left out of anger"

"And you're sure he is okay?" asked Nwakamma.

"Well, he never had any signs of mental problem, unless his sisters has anything new to tell us."

Uju shook her head as a sign of having nothing to say.

"Then we have to be fast to rescue him from being hurt", Eche put in.

"Then we must alert the town-crier to give the news", said Ochiora.

"Won't that waste much of our time"

"Are we going to search for him all alone?" "you know of course that we will need the help of the youths to do this."

Eche nods in acquiescence.
The three ichies rose to their feet to leave to get prepared for the search. Uju was now having a feeling of loneliness despite her uncles' and sisters' presence. She swallowed hard and prayed in her mind that nothing bad happened to her brother.
Re: Prisoners Of War by An0nimus: 10:48pm On Mar 11, 2013
I like the whole African theme stuff but here are my two cents:
1. I see some grammatical blunders; 'being' instead of 'been', 'founded' and a couple others. Proofread and correct or ask someone else to help you before you post.
2. I think I saw 'asap' in one of the dialogues. Shouldn't be there.
3. The intro about the Mom's sickness and death is a bit long and not much fun to read.
4. I noticed this incoherence at some point. like when Uju's bro was running and suddenly we switch to his friend running then switch to Ujukwu lol
5. Lastly, I still don't have the faintest idea where the story is headed.

PS: I'm not some pro or anything so you may (or may not) take my observations. That being said, na my 2cents be this o grin.

Keep it coming 8-)

1 Like

Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:38am On Mar 12, 2013
An0nimus: I like the whole African theme stuff but here are my two cents:
1. I see some grammatical blunders; 'being' instead of 'been', 'founded' and a couple others. Proofread and correct or ask someone else to help you before you post.
2. I think I saw 'asap' in one of the dialogues. Shouldn't be there.
3. The intro about the Mom's sickness and death is a bit long and not much fun to read.
4. I noticed this incoherence at some point. like when Uju's bro was running and suddenly we switch to his friend running then switch to Ujukwu lol
5. Lastly, I still don't have the faintest idea where the story is headed.

PS: I'm not some pro or anything so you may (or may not) take my observations. That being said, na my 2cents be this o grin.

Keep it coming 8-)
Thanks very much. It's correction and constructive criticism i was expecting because i've never written a story though i can tell. I'll make corrections immediately.
Please don't fail to make more corrections when you come across another blunder....lol. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners Of War by An0nimus: 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Thanks very much. It's correction and constructive criticism i was expecting because i've never written a story though i can tell. I'll make corrections immediately.
Please don't fail to make more corrections when you come across another blunder....lol. Thanks a lot.
Ok Chief..no intention other than constructive criticism meant smiley..I'll post mine when I have the guts to. will also need your opinion then. Bless.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:17pm On Mar 12, 2013
[size=14pt]3[/size]

It was a cold night in the heart of the Ezumezu evil forest, where terror was the king of its heart, no mortal who had dare to sojourn in its enclaves returned alive. What happened there as a normal day life where unimaginable in human world.
Unlike the world of human, spirits of all age where found, everything done there were preposterous. Noise could be heard as in the mortals world but going to the scene, you could see creatures floating on air like a foam on a river.

Agunna was stuttering on his feet, moving aimlessly to an unknown direction with something he had in his hand.
Suddenly a creature came in sight, having the head of lizard and hand of a bear, with the leg of what could be that of a wild cat. Agunna hid in the nearest cave and watched intently at it. Agunna was amazed at voice of the creature, it sounded like a wild storm that troubled the sea. After some minutes Agunna could see many other creatures of its like emerging from one hollow surface.
Agunna never knew he was taking refuge in the hollow of the horrific apparitions, he was as startled when he saw a scrawny creature emerging from one of the hollow cave closest to him, he was surprised that the creature didn't seem to see anything around it. The creature whom he had seen first began speaking in a language which he couldn't decipher. But he could catch a glimpse of the word, "Anui manu shigi hi".

"What sort of language could this be?" he thought.

It was now clear to him that spirits of different origins dwelled there.
The other creatures spoke in a weird language different from each other but they could understand themselves. They were communicating easily.
"Yes", he thought happily in his heart almost shouting it with his physical voice. He had gotten the meaning of what the first creature had said to him. It was his language spoken in unconventional way.

"He probably could have been saying that he could perceive the odour of human flesh", he thought.
He quickly changed his position where he had continued his spy on them.
To his greatest astonishment he saw a very beautiful damsel, fair in appearance, her breasttts was cone shaped, her skin radiated like a polished mirror.

"What an embodiment of elegance", he thought.

He could see himself lusting after the young damsel. The damsel was growing in humanly approach.

"Who will help me", she cried while on the floor nursing the injury she has gotten.

Agunna could see the blood, it looked real, it was flowing. He had sympathy for the young damsel, and saw it safe for him to give her a helping hand.
He couldn't stand the sight of a beautiful young damsel bleeding seriously. So he rushed to her rescue and bent down to treat the wound.

"It will be alright", he said as he examined the cuts.

He was almost carried into emotional trance feeling the surface of her skin. She wiggled her slender hips seductively when he reached out for her sides, Agunna was now lost in deep lust, he had almost forgotten about the injury he was to treat, and the strange damsel wasn't even crying as she had been doing when she attracted Agunna's attention.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" she asked.

"Emmm sorry......I was, i was, "he stammered."

She saw that he was absent minded and gave him a pat on his shoulder. Agunna began to feel uncomfortable with her approach, she claimed she was badly injured but here was she making some nasty advances towards him. Was this a real human? How could a little damsel send such a seductive signal? Maybe he should ask her a question in a rude manner.

"Hey, young lady," he was mean in his speech, "who are you, i mean who is your father?"

"I'm Apunanwu the daughter of ichie Ugoji"

"From which kingdom," he asked suspiciously

The damsel saw the suspicious look written all over his face, but she didn't know at that moment the answer to give to him, she thought of a better answer to give to him and she finally found a voice.

"You ask me too much question, and it's very dangerous to give a stranger the name of where I come from."

"If I must take you seriously then you have no option than to answer my question."

"I don't know you, and I can't tell you all about me," she spoke softly.

"If you don't, you wouldn't have told me in the first place, your father's name."

She saw her mistakes and succumb to his pressure.

"From Umudioga", that was the lie she could phantom, little did she know that she had made the biggest blunder.

"There's nobody bearing such name amongst the ichies."

"What do you know, are you an ichie?" she was gradually losing her temper.

"I can see you're sent but your mission just failed on arrival"

"Hahahahaha," she laughed hysterically. "You're the person who failed, i was been a little patient before I destroy you " she suddenly changed into a strange creature consisting of half human and half cat and attacked him.
Re: Prisoners Of War by FoxyUltimate(m): 4:59pm On Mar 13, 2013
I read this piece on my way back from Kano. I wonder why I no comment that day sef
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 2:54pm On Mar 14, 2013
Welcome, Mr. Foxy
Re: Prisoners Of War by FoxyUltimate(m): 2:57pm On Mar 14, 2013
Eze Promoe: Welcome, Mr. Foxy

Continue if you wish but one preek is stealing the tales men
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
^This idiom is indecipherable, can you kowaciate cool
Re: Prisoners Of War by FoxyUltimate(m): 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2013
Eze Promoe: ^This idiom is indecipherable, can you kowaciate cool

Go to the detection thread and find out. Some arse.hole is taking glory from numerous works posted here.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:31pm On Mar 14, 2013
Foxy_Ultimate:

Go to the detection thread and find out. Some arse.hole is taking glory from numerous works posted here.
You serious shocked
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:32pm On Mar 14, 2013
Agunna jostled with her until he bled profusely, his adversary has being so hard on him. He wasn't a wrestler albeit wrestle wasn't for the playground alone. A man was at least expected to be able to defend himself to start with, be he troublesome or not. It took him courage not to give up even when he recieved a mutilating punch from his adversary.
He brought out what he held in his hand and thrust it in her side and she fell on his feet.
'Just like that?' he thought.
Despite he had spent several hours in combat with the bellicose damsel, he felt it was a facile victory. He hadn't expected such small object which looked like a child's play toy to bring down a belligerent beast which he had spent hours in combat with.
Though Agunna had never fought with a lady, he felt as if he wrestled with seven men or even wolves. His back ached profusely and he still bore sores in his well built body.

He moved to a shady nook in the forest and squatted there to nurse his wounds, while he was almost seated he moved his neck to his left and to his right in order to massage his aching neck with his hand as much as he could. Looking left, he saw the other wild creatures advancing towards him in rage. He was suddenly overwhelmed by a supernatural force, where he soon found himself in an isolated area. A voice roared at him,

"What have you just done?"

"I'm sorry, great one", he said with great awe. "I thought it was my duty to help the young damsel."

"And what again?"
"I.......I", he was stammering.

"Speak up!", the voice roared in a very fearful manner.

"I lusted after the damsel", he forced the word outta his mouth.

After he had explained his encounter with the damsel, he had expected something a harsh reply but there was a moment of silence until the hoarse voice broke the silence.

"Look beside the maple tree by your right and drink the liquid."

"Now listen to me", the voice began narrating, "this is not the bush where you hunt meat or pluck fruit from. This is an evil forest where nothing is real at all, don't talk to anybody, don't collect anything from anybody. Keep on moving till you get to your destination. You still have a long way to go."

"Please, great one," Agunna cut in, "what use is all these I'm holding?"

"What you're holding is a the akupe onoja, it's responsible for you still being alive in the evil forest, the last person who used it was Igwe Okala the great of Aro, and during his time, the kingdom was very powerful and full of boom, but he misplaced it and died two years later after he couldn't find it. That was 200 years ago. The gods might have a plan for you."

"Of what use then will all these be afterwards?"

"Like I said before, the gods know better."

"Wait a minute, you mean you are not Amadioha most supreme?"

"No, I'm not. I'm just a messenger", as he said this he appeared in his real form. He was a middle aged man with unkempt hair and beard.

Agunna was disappointed with what was before his right, he stood up in anger, with suspicion written all over his face.

"And you had me worship your tricks", he said angrily. "And now how convinced should I be that you are not one of those deceptive spirits?"

"Young man, don't be mischievous, you've got every reason to believe my message and mind you, don't defy the works of the gods in order not to bring their wrath upon your soul."
Agunna held himself from arguing further. He now did whatever he was commanded. He went beside the maple tree and drank the concoction. He was now prepared to continue on the journey. He set out for the journey and never allowed himself to be distracted by anything.
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 3:10pm On Mar 15, 2013
*Sit down with a bottle of coke* and start from the begining.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 5:51pm On Mar 15, 2013

Ochibiaram had just been buried, Uju and her sisters were in their incessant mourning mood, Agunna's whereabout still unknown. They had searched for him everywhere, in the villages, forests, in order neighbouring but all to no avail.
Sympathizers came frequently to express their heartfelt condolence to the orphans, food items were donated for their upkeep.
Uju's eye had swollen from her tear duct up to the skin of her eye brow, all because of her constant weeping, her body was becoming thinner as if she was ill treated.

She still looked pretty even with her facial expression of gloom. Her sisters didn't cry as much as she had, which had made her credit scolding from some of the sympathizers.

"Uju, aren't you ashamed that you're crying while your younger ones are watching", they teased.

Meanwhile, Madueke had been making further plan to take over what belongs to his brother, not minding whoever it may hurt.
Madueke had eight children whom he had had from three different women, he lived an uncultured life. Feeling of his presence was revulsive to many, he had bad manners of approach, and that is one of the reasons he had never been awarded a title which he long yearned for.
His late brother unlike him, was a kind hearted, humble and courageous man, he made apologies on behalf of his brother when he offends anyone like he does on daily basis. Madueke will never in his life say sorry to anyone, you can go to hell if you wish, he could say in his mind.
The death of Ichie Ararume came as a great shocker to the hearing of the villagers, people believed that the death wasn't natural but hadn't back up their claims. The late Ararume was coming from a town hall meeting and on his way back home when he started vomiting strange objects, he managed to get home, putting hands in his chest, he threw up more and then he gave up. His death was indeed painful to the entire village, he was given a befitting burial where many weep in sorrow.
But since Ararume's death, Madueke had since been in strong contention with Ochibiaram over the ownership of Ararume's property but she had had the courage to defend her right over her husband's property.
Madueke has in different occasion used his wives as a weapon in an attempt to smear her.

Nwabiala, his first wife dissociated herself from such plot which she termed as 'inhuman practice' and that made her to win hate from her husband and her rivals. Her husband had in some occasion threatened to throw her out and send her to her father's house but Nwabiala was a very important woman to him as she was more cultured and mannered than Ahurone and Mbiaka, his second and third wives respectively, and was the mother to three of his eldest son. Little wonder why he could just end all his rantings with empty threats but not act against her.
She had warned her sons against malevolence to their fellow human, but only Okala her second son adhered strictly to this warnings. Madueke on the other hand had also threatened to disinherit him, but he didn't care.
He had hated his father's attitude towards people and that had brought bad names to him. He had wish on some occasions that he had a better father, and had prayed to be reincarnated into a godly family headed by a responsible father like the late Ichie Ararume.
On the other hand, Nwona and Ihuchi, his brothers, followed the footsteps of their father.
Their father had promised them all Ararume's property which had built the zeal in them to take after their father.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2013
Kom-kom-kom.

"Who's there", Uju said as she walked to the door.

"Open this door before I descend on you whimps", Madueke replied abruptly.

"I'm sorry, Nna anyi." Uju pleaded. "I just wanted to be sure who I opened the door for."

"I didn't come here for any sympathy talks, I've come here to give my last warning to you concerning that land you and your useless mother used for farming. Your mother is dead, and it will be advisable for you to choose whether to join her or stay away from that land."

Uju was dazed by such statement, but could do nothing but to let out a drop of tears. It looked so easy for her to start shedding tears, but the villain cared not.

"You can fill your dry wells with your tears, I don't care" Madueke continued, "your tears is never my problem, just leave what belongs to me and I'll leave you alone. I've done so much for you by not rendering you homeless, because that's what you deserve."

"Why are you so heartless, nnayi", Uju found her voice. "Why do you want to strip us of all our father left for us, haven't you had enough?"

"That word 'my father' ended right from the day the witch that made you together with my brother died. And now they've parted even right from when death took my dear brother."

"You called my mother a witch?" Uju wept aloud to the awakening of her sisters.

"I can repeat it if you wish, i said your mother is a witch"

"Wait, you just insulted my mother, Ulumma rose up in anger, but Uju held her back.

"Oooooh, Uju leave me alone, she pulled from her hold aggressively.

"Will you beat me up? Madueke grimaced, "I've told you to stay away from that land if you love your life."

"Are you threatening us?" Uju said

"It's not a threat, it's a promise."

"Madueke, you're evil, you're a devil," the anger in Uju's voice made her to call him for the first time by his name.
He gave her a resounding slap that woke Oby from her bed.

"I hope that will be a reminder to you," he spat angrily, "your father didn't have the guts to talk to me like that when he was alive not to talk of a spoilt brat like you."

"The truth is that you've done nothing to deserve respect from me," Uju said bitterly, "if you were right thinking, you won't be like the proverbial hunter who has elephant on his shoulders, a big deer and many other species of animal he caught from hunting but still yearns to collect a little cricket which a poor farmer caught in his farm, stop being greedy because after all your possessions on this earth you'll still go to the creator, and even all the land you've been dragging, you'll get only 6 feet of it."

This word triggered his rage into action, and he stretched out his palms and reached out for her throat, Uju wriggled in discomfort, Ulumma couldn't keep watching her sister being strangled to death, so reached out for the giant pestle in defence of her helpless sister.

"My eyes!" Madueke screamed while Ulumma's hands were held up in the air still yet to hit but bewildered by what happened.
Has Uju done anything to him to defend herself, she thought, but Uju on her own was short of breath, she was still trying to get herself from the breathless moments she had just experienced.

"Cobra! Cobra!!", Oby screamed pointing towards the window frame.

"Cobra?", Ulumma asked perplexed.

"Hei, I saw the cobra pass here!", Oby said still pointing towards the same direction.

"My eyes!" shouted Madueke angrily, "can't you brats do something about this, I know you all want me dead but I swear by my father's grave that you'll never get away with this."
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:13pm On Mar 15, 2013
luvmijeje: *Sit down with a bottle of coke* and start from the begining.
Do you need some Alomo bitters.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:14pm On Mar 15, 2013
luvmijeje: *Sit down with a bottle of coke* and start from the begining.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
"If you don't want me to smack your old hag brains, you better keep shut," Ulumma said mischievously knowing fully well that Madueke could do nothing to her, she also was that arrogant type of person but in many occasions was calmed by her elder sister and now deceased mother, now she could let her arrogance out of the bin since the old man was helpless.

"Ulumma, are you mad?" Uju couldn't help saying such word, "how could you be so rude to someone who's older than your father?"

"Don't tell me you still have pity for this old wizard?"

"Shut up and get some water!"
Ulumma went to get the water and Uju reached to Madueke's side to wash his eyes but he refused to be helped by any of them.

"Don't touch me, you witches," he said bitterly.

He walked in short steps in other not to stumble.

"Somebody help o," he said as he looked for his way out of the compound.
Okoro the wag was the first to see him.

"Madueke, okpotokpo ajo anu! ", Okoro hailed him in his fond name.

"Ekwobirinaya o" , he replied in bitterness.

"What has happened, you seem not to be okay"

"Yes o, I'm not okay at all, please take me to my house o. Ararume's witches have finally done it."

"Who are these Ararume's witches? Do witches really reside in such a holy land as Umudioga?"

"Your second question is what I'm still asking myself."

"This is really serious o," Okoro examined his eyes, "you're close to blindness o, something fast has to be done about this, we need to see Anyike, the medicine man quickly."

"Please take me to my house and invite the medicine man"

Okoro helped the old man get to his house. Madueke's house was already on fire upon their arrival, it was a real fight going on between his wives with his children helping to fuel the fire.
Mbiaka had stirred the controversy by calling Ahurone an 'outdated woman', she in turn called her, a fruitless ugiri tree and a child eater.
Mbiaka had bore four children for Madueke but three had died as a result of iferenza that befell them, which was described by most as one of the effects of the Ogbunuguru pestilence. The children who died were two male children and a female child.
Madueke had warned the two other wives never to use that against her in words or in deeds else they would be sent packing to their father's house.

"What's happening here," asked Madueke angrily.

"Chei, nnayi!" exclaimed Nwabiala, "what happened to your sight?"

"Get me Anyike," he shouted at them, "I have no time for your irrelevant questions"

"What do we tell Anyike if he asks us to explain our purpose for coming?"

"Tell him that your husband was attacked by witches."

"Eh? Please nnayi, where? When? How?"

"Go and fetch Anyika and stop asking me questions"

"Okala, go and call Anyike!" she called Okala who was busy building yam barn for his father.

"Yes mama," he replied from back.

"Please run as fast as you can and get Anyike for your father"

"Hey mama, what happened to papa?"

"Forget about questions and call Anyike."
Okala ran as fast as he could and invited Anyike over.
It was when Madueke began to narrate.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2013
GLOSSARY

okpotokpo ajo anu - Dangerous Giant Beast (a name given to Madueke because of his dreaded traits)

Ekwobirinaya (aka/okpa) - It (the beast) has been amputated.

Ugiri - An edible fruit whose seed 'ogbono' (which is used for cooking) is gotten from

Iferenza - an infectious disease like a very bad cold that causes fever, pains, weakness, and in most cases cause death.

Ogbunuguru - Literary translated as 'Killer in harmattan'. A very deadly disease occuring mostly in harmattan periods.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:05pm On Mar 16, 2013
"I went to my late brother's compound to see how well his daughters were faring, then the next thing I saw the three of them turn into giant snakes, and they came attacking me, not too far, one of them came and spat on my eyes."

The whole house were shocked with mouths all agape at the whole narration.

"Strange!" said Anyike as he shrugged.

"I don't understand," said the perplexed Nwabiala.

Even his wives and children that took side with him against Uju were shocked at the whole story.

"But she looks harmless, are you sure of what you're saying?" asked Nwabiala.

"People may seem harmless but their soul is as restless as the whirlwind," Anyike cut in.

"But the people we're talking about are still alive."

"Do one need to be dead before having a soul?"

"Those people may have connections with witches and water spirits either through their mother or through their father......"

"Its definitely from their mother, " Madueke cut him short. "I know my brother, and non of our lineage have connection with water spirits."

"Its okay," said Anyika, "I'll have to examine your eyes."

Anyike used his fingers to force his eyes open and looked into it, he squeezed some native medicinal leaves into his eyes and then looked at it again and shook his head.

"This problem is more spiritual than physical," he shook is head in dismay.

"I said it o," Mbiaka stood up to go to Uju's place but Ahurone held her back.

"You want to be the next?" she said.

"So you love her like this?" Okoro who has been silent for long put in. "Or are some people trying to tell us that two people have being acting a play here," he said jokingly.

"Okoro we're not here for jokes, this is a serious issue."

"I'm sorry," he apologised "but there are many ways we can handle this issue, we can take this issue right to Igwe."

"Was it Okoro that just spake," said Madueke as he turned looking towards his direction.

"Why ask such a silly question, or did the cobras also spit into your brains."

"The last time you ever said something sensible like this was in your last world before you reincarnated into this."

"Hahaha, even in your condition you are still this bad-mouthed."

The whole house was laughing and smiling at their jokes except Anyike who was busy with some divination and Nwabiala who saw their exchange of words as 'ill jokes'.
She tried to stop them but did it indirectly.

"Is it not high time we went and make our complaints to the Igwe before it gets too late?"

"Yes we're going to do that," said Anyike, "let's take things step by step."

"I hope we don't get there when everything has worsened."

"That's why I'm Anyike", he said with fainted smile on his face.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Famous Books, Countries That Banned Them And Why It Was Banned.- Tapread.net / Chimamamanda Adichie Fights Arthur Eze Over Land Grabbing / Literature/Writing Guidelines, Rules & Regulations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.