Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,794 members, 7,798,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) (80970 Views)

Hair Breakage Remedy For Relaxed Hair / How To Make Your Relaxed Hair Grow Longer And Fuller. / African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 23, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII: Silk Proteins Mega Cholesterol.....LmL grin

My Hair is Longer with more Body than All of you's, You know why?..because i don't put half this man made trash onto the crown of my skull.

Silk Proteins Mega Cholesterol.....Hilarious. Sounds Like Rocket Fuel

Why dont you share your regimen with us? What have you been using and is ur hair growing?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 23, 2013
Thanks ladies for all the inputs. lets focus on hair care and less product use.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ladies has any of you gotten a perm yet. My major issue is preventing the old hair from falling off. How do we know when to stop the stretch? Any ideas?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Ovems(f): 7:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
I'm back in cornrows again. I cowashed in it, moisturized and applied oil to seal the moisture in. I am so thinkin abt goin for a touch up. Not made up my mind yet. How is it goin for u guys?

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 1:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
Ladies, I retouched and trimmed my hair yesterday. Its breaking and I won't push it any longer. Everything turned out right because I instructed the stylist not to comb my hair out. She only combed the new growth and smoothened it out with a brush. I achieved new back length (right now I'm committed to weekly protein treatments to maintain length). Hope you guys find it easy.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 10, 2013
I'm happy for u gals. I decided to stetch for one more month to see how it goes. the secret i learnt is to oil your hair o the part that seperates the natural hair and the relaxed ones to stop breakage. This method has helped so far.

2 Likes

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:36pm On Apr 10, 2013
I hear black tea can be used to reduce hair loss from the roots. Black tea contains caffeine, which minimises the work of the hormone DHT, which cause hair loss.

So for those dealing hair loss, you can give black tea rinse a try. Check google for more details and please don't forget to moisture and oil seal.

The last time I touched up my hair was in Dec 2011. In the course of my hair journey, I've taken time to understand my hair better. The weak ends have gone off and I also took time to trim the ends so as to have healthy ends rather than focusing on length.

I intend touching up next month and I want to texlax; I don't want a bone straight look. I need body and bounce. Shea butter is my hair paddy and I wear my hair mostly in braids(using only my hair without extensions).

2 Likes

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Ovems(f): 3:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
My shedding has reduced drastically, i can even count the shed hair on my comb. I almost gave up on the stretch thinking it was'nt working for me, but decided to try black tea rinse, which i had done before, with little or no sucess. This time i boiled the black tea together with lemongrass leaves, nnchawu(basil) leaves and dried thyme together, left it to cool and poured it on my hair, then followed with a deep conditioner. With great results from dis, i mite go for 8months stretch. My hair is soo thick yet soft. And yes, oiling my newgrowth works too. Hope dis helps others too.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:51am On Apr 13, 2013
Ovems: My shedding has reduced drastically, i can even count the shed hair on my comb. I almost gave up on the stretch thinking it was'nt working for me, but decided to try black tea rinse, which i had done before, with little or no sucess. This time i boiled the black tea together with lemongrass leaves, nnchawu(basil) leaves and dried thyme together, left it to cool and poured it on my hair, then followed with a deep conditioner. With great results from dis, i mite go for 8months stretch. My hair is soo thick yet soft. And yes, oiling my newgrowth works too. Hope dis helps others too.

Ovems, please how manny times do you do the tea rinse in a month?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Ovems(f): 4:00pm On Apr 14, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

Ovems, please how manny times do you do the tea rinse in a month?

I do it every wash day. Dat's maybe two or three times a week.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:20am On Apr 15, 2013
Ovems:
I do it every wash day. Dat's maybe two or three times a week.

Ovems, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by azeeza(f): 1:10pm On Apr 15, 2013
i really want to try this out,pls recommend a good hair product i can use. i have been using shea butter mixed with damatol and its does wonder. i also used organic conditioner and shampoo..
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Ovems(f): 10:07am On Apr 16, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

Ovems, thanks.
U welcome. Pls let us know how it works and what has been working for u.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Ovems(f): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2013
I have noticed that cornrows does not work for me. My hair breaks wen i detangle. So i just put it in a bun always
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:42am On Apr 16, 2013
azeeza: i really want to try this out,pls recommend a good hair product i can use. i have been using shea butter mixed with Damatol and its does wonder. i also used organic conditioner and shampoo..

Wow! Shea+Damatol? We learn and experiment everyday. I'm really not keen on Damatol because it contains petroleum jelly & mineral oil that only grease and clog the hair pores but if it works for you then no problem.

I don't know but I think the thing about it that sharks people is the pepperish feeling it creates on the scalp, which is due to the peppermint oil it contains and I think that can be purchased at the supermarket/store.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:56am On Apr 16, 2013
Ovems:
U welcome. Pls let us know how it works and what has been working for u.

Okay, I will.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by sweetcheecks(f): 12:59am On Apr 17, 2013
Hi Ladies, wow such great insights on the thread. I would like join you as well. Really do not understand the type of hair codes and would love to learn if anyone would care enough to teach us on how to type code one's hair. I think it would be of great importance to understanding what works with the different types of hair.

My hair is mushy soft, colour 4 ( hope am right) I am light skinned and my hear is distinguishly not black, my hair tends to have the mush growth that curls quite a lot at underneath. Just reminds me of an aunt who use tojoke about our hair ( my sister & I ) and say it looks or feels like sheep wool. Lol.

Any way I had just stopped a three year brazilian hair marathon singles with amazingly disasterous results. I had just above my shoulders hair length when i started and ended up with a very short back uneven everywhere else and long front. I know people might think i tried a mohawk cut or punk cut. I was so confused i wanted to cut it all butdecided to do some braids streching for 4 monts and today just relaxed and I am very happy with the results especially the texture and mu back length coming up somehow. The strech was not a very good one i really do not like moisture in my hair so i rarely moisterised but only when a washed and did treatment. But after landing on this thread i will try and follow this plan and see how it goes.

Today I used ORS kiddies relaxer ( I have an extremely sensitive scalp even the kiddies really was hell) but instead of going to a hair Salon asked a friend to do it for me becouse the salons like combing and i think it was the best dicision I have ever made and i will stick to it. I am planning to do braids again sometime this week or nextweek and I am currently using coconut oil, ors moisturiser will look for other products this week. Unfortunately not sure i can get most like organic shea oil in South Africa. Will scout though and keep you informed.
Soooo, excited thank you ladies for the thread just what i needed. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Rify(f): 1:51am On Apr 17, 2013
BagLova: My hair was breaking and my front hair is thinning so ive started doing protein treatments, washing ny hair and keeping it moist. My hair has grown so much since then. There are many hair challenges online so lets do one for relaxed ladies. If you're interested would you prefer 3 , 4 or 6 months relaxer stretch so i can design the rules for healthy hair.

NO RELAXER/PERM during the hair stretch period. The standard time for perms is 6-8 weeks but lets stretch it to thicken our hair.

i will be using the following products - ORS Shampoo, ORS moisturing conditioner, ORS Protein pak, coconut oil, castor oil and olive oil. pls recommend any oilsthat you use and describe your hair regimen to help others.
State your hair type - I'm a 3c
Hair length: Above neck

Ladies you're welcome if you have any questions concerning hair or haircare products.

I used to have a long hair. Bra length mayb or slightly shorter but the front wasnt al good, was almost all chopped. Constant strectchn, chemicals and manipulating. Pple thought I had good hair because it was long, I knew I didnt. I took the decision to go natural and thats the best decision i have taken for the hair. I cut more than half my hair before I started transitioning.

Regimen:
I sleep in a satin scarf to protect my hair from breaking, I use a lot of protective now; wigs, kinky braids they take my hands off my hair for a while
I wash, Co wash, condition, deep condition etc.
I am nt really a fan of the hair type ish, I just love my curls growing out. From what I read, , mayb a 4b
Check out this:
www.naturalrify@

I hope nairaland wont bar me from posting because of the link. Sorry ooo ejoooo. smiley
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Rify(f): 2:03am On Apr 17, 2013
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 25, 2013
sweetcheecks: Hi Ladies, wow such great insights on the thread. I would like join you as well. Really do not understand the type of hair codes and would love to learn if anyone would care enough to teach us on how to type code one's hair. I think it would be of great importance to understanding what works with the different types of hair.

My hair is mushy soft, colour 4 ( hope am right) I am light skinned and my hear is distinguishly not black, my hair tends to have the mush growth that curls quite a lot at underneath. Just reminds me of an aunt who use tojoke about our hair ( my sister & I ) and say it looks or feels like sheep wool. Lol.

Any way I had just stopped a three year brazilian hair marathon singles with amazingly disasterous results. I had just above my shoulders hair length when i started and ended up with a very short back uneven everywhere else and long front. I know people might think i tried a mohawk cut or punk cut. I was so confused i wanted to cut it all butdecided to do some braids streching for 4 monts and today just relaxed and I am very happy with the results especially the texture and mu back length coming up somehow. The strech was not a very good one i really do not like moisture in my hair so i rarely moisterised but only when a washed and did treatment. But after landing on this thread i will try and follow this plan and see how it goes.

Today I used ORS kiddies relaxer ( I have an extremely sensitive scalp even the kiddies really was hell) but instead of going to a hair Salon asked a friend to do it for me becouse the salons like combing and i think it was the best dicision I have ever made and i will stick to it. I am planning to do braids again sometime this week or nextweek and I am currently using coconut oil, ors moisturiser will look for other products this week. Unfortunately not sure i can get most like organic shea oil in South Africa. Will scout though and keep you informed.
Soooo, excited thank you ladies for the thread just what i needed. kiss kiss kiss

welcome. Your products are good and make sure you get a good moisturizer that fits your hair type. Theyre different products for different hair type. Also some pple make the mistake of over moisturizing their hair. protein or miosture overload will cause hair breakage.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 25, 2013
Rify: Sorry its www.wordpeess.com/naturalrify

congrats on your progress. my hair is too hard to be natural if not maybe i would have given it a try. I also use the net ones popular in naija.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Rify(f): 6:20pm On May 18, 2013
BagLova:

congrats on your progress. my hair is too hard to be natural if not maybe i would have given it a try. I also use satin scarf to sleep compared to the net ones thats popular in naija.

My hair is hard as well. Normal nigerian hair naa, but with all the deep conditioning, moisturizing I do, ma hair is great and growing out amazingly. Tnx
Www.naturalrify.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 19, 2013
Great Thread!! subscribing, I am two months post relaxer, I'm planning on 3 months. I have very thick hair. My regimen is moisturising with water and olive oil twice a week, then once a week I use castor oil. Currently I am on braids, when i am off braids, I co-wash once a week and shampoo once a month
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 20, 2013
steph7: Great Thread!! subscribing, I am two months post relaxer, I'm planning on 3 months. I have very thick hair. My regimen is moisturising with water and olive oil twice a week, then once a week I use castor oil. Currently I am on braids, when i am off braids, I co-wash once a week and shampoo once a month

You have the right regimen. You may add protein treatment at least once a month to your regimen if you are stretching for 3 months to avoid breakage. Listen to your hair and pay attention to the line of demarcation because what may work for A may not work for B. Some hair texture require less moisture or protein than others. Keep us updated with your progress.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Playgal(f): 6:21am On May 21, 2013
House, pls I av a few Questions;

1. What's d meaning of CORNROWS?
2. What's d meaning of STRETCHING?
3. What's d meaning of PROTEIN TREATMENT?
4. Where can I get ORS Shampoo, Protein and Moisturiser?

I await ur response on dis.

Thanks
Regards

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 4:00am On May 22, 2013
Playgal: House, pls I av a few Questions;

1. What's d meaning of CORNROWS?
2. What's d meaning of STRETCHING?
3. What's d meaning of PROTEIN TREATMENT?
4. Where can I get ORS Shampoo, Protein and Moisturiser?

I await ur response on dis.

Thanks
Regards

Welcome to our house of good hair!
1. Cornrows - means weaving your hair like all back, patewo, and so on.
2. Stretching - means staying off relaxers or perms for a given period. If you normally get perms every 6 weeks, you can stretch for 12 weeks to gain thickness, volume, strength and maybe length. Keep perming your hair to a minimum, if possible.
3. Protein treatment is a hair aid to repair breakage and give life to dull/damaged hair. If your hair is breaking or shedding even after trimming, you def need protein treatments. It makes your hair strong and easier to adapt to the challenges of stretching.
4. ORS can be found at most beauty supplies, hair shops or market. Use whatever product that works for your hair. I don't believe in buying a whole line of the same brand. I like ORS relaxer & ORS protein pak but i don't use their conditioner.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by achukwunet(f): 5:29am On May 22, 2013
Interesting thread! I recently relaxed mine but I know my sister's at 5 months. Her longest was 7 months and a week. My longest was around the same. Tough stuff!
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by girlsupersonic(f): 7:57am On May 22, 2013
My longest stretch was for two years and my hair grew like weed! It was stressful bt worth it. But nw I relax twice a year, wash my hair with dudu osun cos my hair is supa full, coconut milk also makes it soft. It grew from neck length to down my back
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 22, 2013
Welcome ladies. Thanks for the encouragement. WE CAN DO THIS!
Girlsupersonic are you talking about the dudu-osun bar soap? You use that as a shampoo?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by girlsupersonic(f): 9:04pm On May 22, 2013
@Baglover, yes o. I used it experimentally at first and found my thick hair so soft, I was really surprised. I later found out it wasn't a new thing cos dudu osun contains lots of herbs good for the hair
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Playgal(f): 1:07pm On May 23, 2013
Please where can i get protein treatments for my hair and ORS (ORS relaxer & ORS protein)

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by dominique(f): 10:10pm On May 24, 2013
Hi all. I've decided to join in the stretch after retouching my hair yesterday (23/05). I don't intend to apply any relaxer till around December thereabouts (God help me). My hair texture has to be the coarsest ever seen (even stylists attest to this embarassed. Also, its very full. So if I don't comb it in 24 hours, it becomes a tangled mess cry. The main reason why I want to leave it without perm is because I want it to grow very long (beneath my shoulders), the way it was before I cut it off back in '10.
I'm already armed with my sheabutter, olive oil, organics products and placenta treatment. The hair is very stubborn, so I'll have to be on cornrows and braids (no weaves for me cool). Wash days will be in between braids (about 3 weeks apart) as I hardly leave the hair undone for more than a couple of days.
Hope to use this thread as a motivation to steer clear or the evil relaxer for at least 6 months. I'll also be needing tips on how to increase the length.
Lemme go back and read previous posts.
Cheers all smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Only Illiterate Can Wear This To An Event / Senegambian Couture In Pictures! / Reasons Why Ugandan Ladies Do Not Wear Panties - By UgandaExposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.