Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,892 members, 7,798,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Web Presence Vs Web Identity. Is There Any Difference? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Presence Vs Web Identity. Is There Any Difference? (887 Views)

Do You Know That Your Homepage Of Your Web Presence Creates First Impression? / Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / Web Designer Vs Web Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Web Presence Vs Web Identity. Is There Any Difference? by Brains1313(m): 5:05am On Feb 26, 2013
For years I have listened and watched certain ICT experts on radio and television tell their listeners and viewers that once a website is designed and uploaded to the server (Internet), such website instantly gains web presence. That statement is based on either absolute ignorance or deliberate lies and sensationalism designed to mislead potential netprenuers (Internet Entrepreneurs) while those so-called experts smile to the banks. The truth of the matter is that having web presence goes beyond having a website.

The Recurring Decimal.

I and my team have had the privilege of being involved in several web projects in the past till date, and one major experience we have repeatedly have is that if a client does not call within the first six months to lay complain(s) about the website, it means such client does not make use of the site regularly. Such client will most likely never renew the domain and hosting. When asked why they are not interested in the renewal, the answer had always been, ‘I did not make money from the website. So, why should I waste more money for another renewal?’ Ignorance! Ignorance! Ignorance! And that unfortunately, ends the possibility of a potentially successful business on the Internet. Funny enough, some aspiring Netpreneurs ignorantly assume it is the responsibility of the website designer to generate sales for them. And so, they direct their disappointments and frustrations at their website designers. But in reality, they (the site owners) should be held responsible for their failures.

The irony of the situation is that if having a website is all you need to gain web presence, then every website should instantly become successful without sweat after upload. The bitter truth is that, more and more websites are dying daily due to ignorance, lack of drive and willingness to do what is right because of the quick fix mentality. Now this brings me to the ultimate question I am constantly asked in recent times. Which is, ‘is there any difference between web identity and web presence?’

The answer is a capital, YES! And in a lay man’s term I’ll define them as follow;

What Is Web Identity?

This is simply the state where a website is designed and uploaded to the Internet. Whether it is promoted or not, whether an activity takes place or not, each time the name of the website is typed in to the web browser or search engine, it will naturally load information from the site. But if nobody knows of its existence within the niche industry the website is supposed to serve, in plain and simple language that website is already dead from day one.

What Is Web Presence?

This stage goes beyond just designing and uploading the website. It is state where a website becomes well known to majority of the people it has been designed to service. What this implies is that the website has gotten so popular to its targeted audience (niche) that, it constantly attracts visitors day in, day out. That is, whenever they need information about any subject or niche, they know where to rush to online.

Some of the websites that could be said to have web presence are;
http://www.nairaland.com
http://www.vanguardngr.com
http://www.vconnect.com
http://www.wakanow.com etc

Now, lets play a simple game. If I mention;

Nairaland –You know it is a complete interactive community covering several subjects for Nigerians scattered all over the globe.
Vconnect –Nigeria’s leading search engine website owned by Indians
Wakanow. –Those who use it know it is for special deals on travels.

At this juncture, it is important to emphasis that no website can become successful online without first having web presence (quality traffic). Web presence therefore, is the foundation and key to the financial prosperity of any website.

Another important question that should be asked is, ‘how does a website achieve web presence?’ There are several factors which must be implemented religiously before a website can be said to have web presence. Some of such factors are;

Regular keyword research.
Search engine optimization (on-page and off-page) which must be ongoing.
Regular and aggressive content update
Continuous and aggressive marketing (off/online) efforts at increasing traffic.
Knowing when to outsource.
Setting up a functional structure.
Patience, in waiting for results. And much more

However, it is important for you to bear in mind that there is no short cut to having web presence. There are lots of works to be done. It is either you roll up your sleeves and be willing to pay the price, or get burnt being mesmerized by the hypes.

See you at the top.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Five Easy Way To Gain 30+follower On Twitter A Day Ni / Proffesional Web Site Designer Needed / What Is The Highest Real Time Active Visitors You Have Seen On Your Website?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.