Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. (1457 Views)

Hand Drive Converted Vehicles. Your opinions. / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? / The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by dandollar1: 11:50am On Feb 27, 2013
Hello,Gurus in the house,my temprature guage reads as shown in the pix at all times.(Ac on/off, in hold-ups..e.t.c) .Seems to me the reading might not be okay,judging from all I have been reading on this forum.I just want to get opinions and directions to know what steps to take to attain the optimum engine temprature.

Your opinions will be highly appreciated.

Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by youngchopper(m): 12:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
is ur fan spining constantly?
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by dandollar1: 12:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
youngchopper: is ur fan spining constantly?
No, its not.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by youngchopper(m): 1:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
dan_dollar: No, its not.
ur thermostary might be stock open! Buy a new one? What car make and model is that? Cuz dat might also be ur engine operating temperature.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by dandollar1: 1:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
youngchopper: ur thermostary might be stock open! Buy a new one? What car make and model is that? Cuz dat might also be ur engine operating temperature.
its a 2007 honda accord.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by Ikenna351(m): 2:27pm On Feb 27, 2013
dan_dollar: its a 2007 honda accord.

That cannot be your engine optimal temperature. Too low for any engine to operate properlly and give you the best fuel economy the engine is designed to offer.

Even if you are running only water in the engine cooling system, it will still get to that middle of the guage. The only difference between coolant and water is that needle gets to the middle of the guage faster with coolant, while water takes ages to do the same. As long as the needle refuses to rise to that middle, no matter how long the engine runs in whatever condition, then something is wrong with your cooling system.

I would start from the thermostat, if i were you. Probably, it has been removed (which is likely the case here) or its stuck open (rarely happens). You just have to open the thermostat housing to be sure the thermostat is still there. If its there, pull it out and test the thermostat to see how and when it opens and closses. Better to do it with a thermometer, if you have one. It will help you to know at what temperature the thermostat starts opening, incase someone wrongly changed and put a thermostat with wrong opening temperature degree celcius other than the factory thermostat opening degree celcius. But you can still check without thermometer, but it wont be accurate.

When does your radiator electric fan(s) starts spinning? When you switch on the ignition or when the engine starts? Or does it start spinning after a long time of engine idling (like 15-30 mins of engine idling). I know you have answered youngchopper that question, but we need to be sure you understood the first time he asked you the question. Because if your fan starts spinning as soon as the engine starts running and doesnt go off till the engine goes off, with an absence of thermostat as well, then you have your answer.

Ikenna.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by dandollar1: 2:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Ikenna351:

That cannot be your engine optimal temperature. Too low for any engine to operate properlly and give you the best fuel economy the engine is designed to offer.

Even if you are running only water in the engine cooling system, it will still get to that middle of the guage. The only difference between coolant and water is that needle gets to the middle of the guage faster, while water takes ages to do the same. As long as the needle refuses to rise to that middle no matter how long the engine runs in whatever condition, something is wrong with your cooling system.

I would start from the thermostat, if i were you. Probably, it has been removed (which is likely the case here) or its stuck open (rarely happens). You just have to open the thermostat housing to be sure its still there. If its there, test the thermostat to see how and when it opens and closses. Better to do it with a thermometer, if you have one. It will help you to know at what temperature the thermostat starts opening, incase someone wrongly changed and put a thermostat with wrong opening temperature degree celcius. But you can still check without thermometer, but it eont be accurate.

When does your radiator electric(s) starts spinning? When you switch on the ignition or when the engine starts? Or does it start spinning after a long time of engine idling (like 15-30 mins of engine idling). I know you have answered youngchopper that question, but we need to be sure you understood the first time he asked you the question. Because if your fan starts spinning as soon as engine starts running and doesnt go off till the emgine goes off, then you have your answer.

Ikenna.
Thanx for your response.I have idled for up to 20mins and didn't see the fan come on.it came on only after I switched on the AC.I wouldn't know if it comes on when the car is on motion.
It has a thermostat.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by Ikenna351(m): 2:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
dan_dollar: Thanx for your response.I have idled for up to 20mins and didn't see the fan come on.it came on only after I switched on the AC.I wouldn't know if it comes on when the car is on motion.
It has a thermostat.

There is a simple way of knowing if the cooling system still have the thermostat or not, without opening the thermostat housing. I have explained that severally in various posts. See if you can find it in similar posts like yours, treated in the past.

Since the car doesnt overheat, even in traffic jams, then the fan works well. You must not hear the sound of the fan when it starts spinning while in hold up.

But, if the fan doesnt start spinning after 20 mins of engine idling, then only God knows what you put inside the cooling system in the name of fluid. Are you running only water in the system or did you add a coolant you werent sure of? I have once used a terrible coolant which would take the temperature guage more than 30 mins to rise to 70% celcius. It would take it more than 1 hour to rise to the middle. But as soon as i flushed the nonsense out and refilled with a correct one, my nightmares stopped.

Ikenna.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by Ikenna351(m): 3:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
All that i have explained so far is how Peugeot cooling systems work. So, unless Honda cooling system works differently, you may have to google your car optimal engine temperature to be sure. Yours could be normal, but all Peugeot temperature guage needles rest at the middle of the guage as normal engine optimal temp, irrespective of the engine. The middle of all Peugeot car temp guages are stamped 90 C. So you need to be sure.

Ikenna.
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by dandollar1: 3:18pm On Feb 27, 2013
Ikenna351: All that i have explained so far is how Peugeot cooling systems work. So, unless Honda cooling system works differently, you may have to google your car optimal engine temperature to be sure. Yours could be normal, but all Peugeot temperature guage needles rest at the middle of the guage as normal engine optimal temp, irrespective of the engine. The middle of all Peugeot car temp guages are stamped 90 C. So you need to be sure.

Ikenna.
thanx again. well, I wouldn't know what coolant is inside the car.I just bought the car actually,a tokunbo.I've not seen it, will be taking delivery of it sometime next week.I got all the info I am giving from my brother.I asked the mech that serviced it,and he said the thermostat was still intact.
What would you advice? Do you think I should change d coolant and thermostat?
Re: My Temeratue Guage Reading...your Opinions Please. by Ikenna351(m): 3:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
dan_dollar: thanx again. well, I wouldn't know what coolant is inside the car.I just bought the car actually,a tokunbo.I've not seen it, will be taking delivery of it sometime next week.I got all the info I am giving from my brother.I asked the mech that serviced it,and he said the thermostat was still intact.
What would you advice? Do you think I should change d coolant and thermostat?

No, dont.

You are not your brother. Get the car first, drive and observe. Whatever your finding is, you can take it from there.

Ikenna.

(1) (Reply)

My 2004 Camry(big Fool) Needs Help / Why Changing Transmission Fluid & Filter Is Important / 10 Facts About Chevrolet Camaro That Would Wow You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.