Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,813 members, 7,802,617 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews (9558 Views)

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. / : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by chemicstein: 3:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
Hi pals...I am a recent graduate with a nice class of degree in engineering but I stammer slightly but when tensed it can b pretty bad...am workin towards it shaa...

I want to know how bad it may affect a job seeker during job interview...do interviewers discriminate against stammerers??...

plz I need ur comment from experience or wat u ve learnt concernin d issue!
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by abiki(f): 3:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
Well, anxiety will only heighten it. Just be calm on the day of the interview. Don't be in a hurry to answer the questions. Be patient with yourself and say what you want to say, pause for a moment before you start to speak. Do not force the words, it just makes them harder to say. I wish you the best

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by abiki(f): 3:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
Be confident too

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by chemicstein: 4:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
abiki: Well, anxiety will only heighten it. Just be calm on the day of the interview. Don't be in a hurry to answer the questions. Be patient with yourself and say what you want to say, pause for a moment before you start to speak. Do not force the words, it just makes them harder to say. I wish you the best
Tnkx so much..Abiki
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by chemicstein: 6:59pm On Feb 27, 2013
Pals plz..d thread is still open..tell us ur experiences
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 04, 2013
i also stammer. what i usually do is that, i envision that every other person in that roomis below me, since im d one standing in the front grin. it works wink.i would suggest that you take on more public speaking responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by chemicstein: 9:43am On Mar 19, 2013
cheesy
honey86: i also stammer. what i usually do is that, i envision that every other person in that roomis below me, since im d one standing in the front grin. it works wink.i would suggest that you take on more public speaking responsibilities.
. It sure sounds like something that will work...tnks honey86
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by yuzedo: 11:55am On Mar 19, 2013
As long as you don't attempt to mention for any reason the female interviewer's TOE, you are good bro... Hope this helps, cheers. wink

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by tunapawizzy: 11:57am On Mar 19, 2013
it depends on what his/her role/responsibilities would be on d job.....a stammerer as a marketer/broadcaster/publicist? ur guess is as good as mine. Shldnt be much of a big deal if its a technical job

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by nikkypearl(f): 11:59am On Mar 19, 2013
Anxiety is the interest u pay on d loan u never obtain! Wait 4dat tym 2cum,bliv in yo self!self. Confident matters!
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by ypzilanti: 12:00pm On Mar 19, 2013
I'm not an expert, but does anyone think that apologizing politely and cheerfully for a slight stammer just before you begin speaking might help? Of course not if it is a role that needs communication...eg. customer care.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by dedons: 12:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
Psycolgically,if he he he he he is is is is is co-co-confide-de-de-de-de-dent in himself,he'lld stammer less............................

Note-:no matterr how long it takes a stammerer,he'll stil pronounce his father's name

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by dammytosh: 12:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
Just calm down. Know that the interview is not a Do or Die affair. Keep your cool at all times, even in the face of provocation by the interviewer. Just smile and maintain the eye contact

Even when you feel you over know or you don't have any idea of the answer , just calm down before you answer.

I love stammerers and it melts my heart cos i tend to look into their heart to get what they try to say out before they eventually complete it..

Best Of Luck Dear.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by nijaspace(m): 12:05pm On Mar 19, 2013
undecided The favour of God if he is a child of God.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by dridowu: 12:05pm On Mar 19, 2013
Speehless bro, anyway all da best
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by wealthlift(m): 12:05pm On Mar 19, 2013
That doesn't affect you. Since you have something upstairs, that doesn't disturb you from getting ur job.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by patholaw: 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2013
It all depends on d type of job ur looking for...but it shldnt count against u in engineering.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by chucksbadt(m): 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2013
only the oga at the top can determine his/her fate!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Braimoh100(m): 12:09pm On Mar 19, 2013
dat won't stop you.U jst have to put in ur best.Some of the boss re also stamerers
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by kulboy(m): 12:09pm On Mar 19, 2013
yuzedo: TOE
grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by licensed2k(m): 12:09pm On Mar 19, 2013
Weed up bruh..... Double effect, calmness+inspiration
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by licensed2k(m): 12:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
Weed up bruh..... Double effect, calmness+inspiration
I sh1t u not.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by victorazy(m): 12:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
Get a Gong, pour some water into it and drink it days before going for the interview, yes it does work! Gudluk

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by shagaman: 12:12pm On Mar 19, 2013
First and foremost you have a good class of degree, your stammering did not affect your class of degree therefore all you need is confidence.
In an interview be attentive,introduce yourself well and dress well,first appearance matters a lot,be composed AND MOST OF ALL BE PRAYERFUL.
Be confident on your achievements and hammer on it,your goals and what you plan to achieve when employed...Believe in yourself.

The person interviewing you na human being and was once in your position,dem no carry fire for head....all the best

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Ehichrisco(m): 12:13pm On Mar 19, 2013
[color=#000000][/color] hold on to an office pin tru out d interview, it wil do d magic.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Denn(m): 12:13pm On Mar 19, 2013
yuzedo: As long as you don't attempt to mention for any reason the female interviewer's TOE, you are good bro... Hope this helps, cheers. wink

so he should not say "i...i....lai..lai...like...your...yourr...toh...toh....toe"?

smiley
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by obowunmi(m): 12:13pm On Mar 19, 2013
ahaha..... I can't imagine a stammerer in an interview room. Life hard.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by madridsta007(m): 12:14pm On Mar 19, 2013
Do your best.

Be outspoken, offer intelligent answers and scenarios. Tell them how you have overcome your stammer, how you have used it to bring the best out of you.

You will be given equal opportunity, at most jobs except for instance, call centres (for obvious reasons)

Aside from that you don't have any reason to fear. One of my best line managers in the oil industry is a heavy stammer, but many non-stammerers can only wish to be where he was. My current place of work, multinational oil and gas too, we have stammerers around. Once you can add value to a company, they will want you.

Believe in yourself bro.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:14pm On Mar 19, 2013
If it's a job like marketing, customer/public relations, broadcasting, radio or TV presenter or any related job, your chances are low.
However, be confident. Remember the weakness of a stammerer is in how often he/she talks.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by tellwisdom: 12:19pm On Mar 19, 2013
Bro, drink one full bowl of hot oil and you would be fine during interview angry angry
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by patholaw: 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
Nigerians and be prayerful undecided wat have prayer got 2 do with being a stammerer....just work on ur speech. And its sure gonna count on u in a marketing firm, broadcasting firm...anywhere u do more of talking.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Career Options For A Mechanical Engineer? / 1.7 Million Nigerians Became Jobless In Nine Months / Workers' Day:share Your Hustling Experiences And Your Present Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.