Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! (2881 Views)

Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien / Nigeria Software Developers / Software Developers Association (sda) Registered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Nobody: 10:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
Seriously. It is. grin
If I owned a large enough business that depended on software I would have to be really silly (or extremely patriotic) to not outsource it to those smart bastids out yonder. cheesy
It's so freaking cheap too. I give it 10 years for companies to think on this.

So I would suggest y'all start thinking ahead. Start taking courses different from just "technical stuff".
Start training yourself to be someone with actual physical value.

The No-Bullshit " am I expendable ?" test. Ask yourself these questions:
- Can someone do my whole job overseas without having to be here?
- Is the salary I am being paid enough to hire 3 other people in India with more qualifications than me?
- Do I work with a private firm i.e NOT a government organization?
- [Bonus Question] Is the company I am right now having getting marginally lower profits than they are typically used to?

If your answer to at least 3 of those questions was "Yes"...nigga get smart angry...For the sake of your family.
Even the giants in the IT industry are already heavily utilizing off-shore talent for the nitty-gritty coding.
You would know them if you even did a lick of research. Hint: IBM is on the top of this list.

You will be doing yourself a favor to start getting more familiar with things also from a business perspective, not just coding!
...or already start your own thing on the side for those inclined to such.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by lordZOUGA(m): 10:48pm On Feb 27, 2013
this is a rehash of one your previous threads. what's new?
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by abbyode(m): 10:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
Tell them...all they show muscle on is arguing which programming language is superior. Moreso, they also feel cool battling wt java codes for days or even weeks.Most times I laugh when i read posts of people who called themselves programmers here.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 27, 2013
lordZOUGA: this is a rehash of one your previous threads. what's new?

This is a resound of the need for a more evolved mindset when considering this stuff.
Programming in it's essential detail, to you, might soon become more of a thing of hobby than a means to earn bread....save for entrepreneurship.

Young up and comers must see these and start to go about their career planning more smartly.
I personally will never stop programming as I love it, but I am not so naive that I will ignore the upcoming direction of the wind.

The software industry as a whole is very very new. We are fortunate enough to have witnessed it's birth and establishment in it's fruition....but all that has primarily just been it finding its footing.
And from this vantage point, it is easy to see what it's footing will be in a decade from now. As with the nature of any dynamic field, you either surf on it(adjusting your balance as needed), or be swallowed in the tsunami of change(e.g polaroid).
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Javanian: 12:03am On Feb 28, 2013
@2buff i suggest you explain exactly what you mean by 'business perspective'...
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 28, 2013
Javanian: @2buff i suggest you explain exactly what you mean by 'business perspective'...

Gaining skills that are core to the "business" or industry of the company you are working for.
Most software developers work for companies that use the software for "something".

You can still be an awesome software developer, but mix it with the acquiring of inexpendible, inoutsourcable skills.
What those skills will be is highly dependent on you and how smart you are in seeing into your company.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by PasNet: 4:18am On Feb 28, 2013
In addition,it is best to leverage on the need/short falls of some of the so-called outsoursed skills. Every solutions has it's short falls,a perfect solution would be a combined effort of so many "heads".... But if you look well enough,you'll find loop holes. My only consern is... You might think you have done it all,then another person comes up with a better idea... Question is, how do you outrightly prevent your skill from being outsourced in this light?

2buff:

Gaining skills that are core to the "business" or industry of the company you are working for.
Most software developers work for companies that use the software for "something".

You can still be an awesome software developer, but mix it with the acquiring of inexpendible, inoutsourcable skills.
What those skills will be is highly dependent on you and how smart you are in seeing into your company.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by naijaswag1: 5:08am On Feb 28, 2013
2buff: Seriously. It is. grin
If I owned a large enough business that depended on software I would have to be really silly (or extremely patriotic) to not outsource it to those smart bastids out yonder. cheesy
It's so freaking cheap too. I give it 10 years for companies to think on this.

So I would suggest y'all start thinking ahead. Start taking courses different from just "technical stuff".
Start training yourself to be someone with actual physical value.

The No-Bullshit " am I expendable ?" test. Ask yourself these questions:
- Can someone do my whole job overseas without having to be here?
- Is the salary I am being paid enough to hire 3 other people in India with more qualifications than me?
- Do I work with a private firm i.e NOT a government organization?
- [Bonus Question] Is the company I am right now having getting marginally lower profits than they are typically used to?

If your answer to at least 3 of those questions was "Yes"...nigga get smart angry...For the sake of your family.
Even the giants in the IT industry are already heavily utilizing off-shore talent for the nitty-gritty coding.
You would know them if you even did a lick of research. Hint: IBM is on the top of this list.

You will be doing yourself a favor to start getting more familiar with things also from a business perspective, not just coding!
...or already start your own thing on the side for those inclined to such.

crap.....as if they have been patronizing local software. Is there a robust software industry like they have in the Western world and India anywhere in Nigeria? They quit the West and shifted to India! Do we have local softwares that compete globally? Infact the Indian software market is costly when compared to how much you will pay in Naira, Nigerians will be and can be cheaper. I bet you, if we can have 100,000 skilled programmers, all the world's software job will be done in Nigeria at the cheapest rate. What we lack is the skilled workforce, outsourcing is not an issue for now, it could be in the future.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by lordZOUGA(m): 7:35am On Feb 28, 2013
naija_swag:

crap.....as if they have been patronizing local software. Is there a robust software industry like they have in the Western world and India anywhere in Nigeria? They quit the West and shifted to India! Do we have local softwares that compete globally? Infact the Indian software market is costly when compared to how much you will pay in Naira, Nigerians will be and can be cheaper. I bet you, if we can have 100,000 skilled programmers, all the world's software job will be done in Nigeria at the cheapest rate. What we lack is the skilled workforce, outsourcing is not an issue for now, it could be in the future.
*applause* Nigerians don't even have enough skillful developers. skills first before we start worrying about business.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by aycsharp(m): 7:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
lordZOUGA:
*applause* Nigerians don't even have enough skillful developers. skills first before we start worrying about business.
I have been fortunate to met and work with skillful and professional Developers in Nigeria and I have interacted with a lot of Indians developer, the true gist is that we have alot of skillful developers in Nigeria, that companies dont need to outsource softwares to Indians, but due to our thinking and lack of trust and the oyinbos can do it better mentality, companies still prefer to outsource, Some Indian developers are very good, those ones are either in the US or in India, the Indian developers that you find in Nigeria are those half baked and crappy ones that write data access codes directly under controls.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by broswilli: 11:15am On Mar 01, 2013
The truth of the matter is that the skillful Nigerian Programmers works alone in Nigeria we must learn to partner with others to thrive but we have difficulty doing that. When a project is outsourced to an Indian, about ten to twenty developers work together to get the job within a short time in this way they accumulate a lot of projects which are executed fast and at a cheaper rate. I have tried the international freelance software market as a developer but its a shame to know how much Indians charge for a project. If you charge that amount as a lone programmer in Nigeria you would be digging your early grave. My advice is that if developers can work together in Nigeria, learn to share knowledge respectfully and create very good workflow in a team environment with a firm emphasis on service delivery we would compete with the Indians

2 Likes

Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by lordZOUGA(m): 4:48pm On Mar 01, 2013
aycsharp: I have been fortunate to met and work with skillful and professional Developers in Nigeria and I have interacted with a lot of Indians developer, the true gist is that we have alot of skillful developers in Nigeria, that companies dont need to outsource softwares to Indians, but due to our thinking and lack of trust and the oyinbos can do it better mentality, companies still prefer to outsource, Some Indian developers are very good, those ones are either in the US or in India, the Indian developers that you find in Nigeria are those half baked and crappy ones that write data access codes directly under controls.
I said "have enough". there might be skillful developers but they are not enough.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by aycsharp(m): 8:40pm On Mar 01, 2013
lordZOUGA:
I said "have enough". there might be skillful developers but they are not enough.
Not that there might be, their are, may be you have not met them
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by solomon201(m): 7:36pm On Mar 19, 2013
aycsharp: Not that there might be, their are, may be you have not met them

@lordZOUGA can u pls shed more light on what u mean by "skilled developers" giving examples please. And what can be done locally so developers here can measure up. Thanks
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by javadoctor(m): 6:28am On Mar 20, 2013
Please can u end this thread Javanian?y,and can I hv 2minutes of my life back?. @2buff.I hope u don't endup broke,if u hv smetyn seriously doing u won't be creating such topic,apparently u r tinkin bout ur life.I encourage other software developers to keep developing themselves. Sky is the limit
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 20, 2013
javadoctor: Please can u end this thread Javanian?y,and can I hv 2minutes of my life back?. @2buff.I hope u don't endup broke,if u hv smetyn seriously doing u won't be creating such topic, apparently u r tinkin bout ur life .I encourage other software developers to keep developing themselves. Sky is the limit

And I hope you don't end up broke for NOT thinking about your life.

1 Like

Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by RandomAfricanAm: 11:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
While you guys are talking about india I'm shaking my head. The ironic thing to me is that I'm over here in the U.S thinking "WOW there is a HUGE number of hungry programers in nigeria! How do I tap into this talent pool I never knew of".

You guys are in a position to be just as price competitive as people in india. This is assuming the cost of living is compariable in both places. All it really falls down to is talent pool and infrastructure(internet speeds, reliable power grid, access to hardware, and the cost of it all)

Stop beating yourselves up so much
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by wolexy07(m): 1:02pm On Mar 26, 2013
@2buff, please stop trying to be a party pooper. People here love what they do i.e. programming. No need for you to come kill the mood. This also goes to yhu, yes yhu, abbyode. I undastand hw envious u must b of d programmers ere buh, rather than trash talking, try to encourage them.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 27, 2013
Somehow am with 2buff on this but there are still companies here who believe in having local dvelopers handle their projects

Its easier to call on a local developer than to reach a remote developer who may dump you when you are closer to launching ur project.

The best thing you can do is stay ahead of the game
In programming you can never cover all and the more you know the better for you.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by kedukc(m): 5:50pm On Apr 02, 2013
broswilli: The truth of the matter is that the skillful Nigerian Programmers works alone in Nigeria we must learn to partner with others to thrive but we have difficulty doing that. When a project is outsourced to an Indian, about ten to twenty developers work together to get the job within a short time in this way they accumulate a lot of projects which are executed fast and at a cheaper rate. I have tried the international freelance software market as a developer but its a shame to know how much Indians charge for a project. If you charge that amount as a lone programmer in Nigeria you would be digging your early grave. My advice is that if developers can work together in Nigeria, learn to share knowledge respectfully and create very good workflow in a team environment with a firm emphasis on service delivery we would compete with the Indians

the only thought that made sense here. Cooperation again proves it's evolutionary advantage.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Bossman(m): 6:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
I concur. Yes, there are definitely skillful developers in Nigeria, and skilful Nigerian developers working overseas. But when we are talking about numbers, there just is not enough. Of course, most companies in Nigeria tend to outsource, and there are reasons for that. The level of computer science/programming education in Nigeria is just not on par. it has to start with he schools, access to resources, etc.

Actually, here in the US, the companies will not rather have the development done on ground, rather than offshore. so, there is high demand for top tech talent. I have been consulting in this field for a long time, and I can tell you, this is the field to be in right now, especially if you have top skills. For those of you that are aspiring to be a developer/programmer, do not let anyone discourage you.

lordZOUGA:
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 03, 2013
Meh. You know what? I renounce this thread tongue
I was just going through an early-life crisis when I created it. Nothing further to see here. grin

Follow your passion people! smiley
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by madelinekim(m): 5:04am On Jun 03, 2013
Software development is one of the best and interesting field in IT field in which you can develop software using multiple frameworks like .NET, PHP, JAVA, PERL etc. Software development is widely popular in all over the world not only in India. The demand of software developers is very much higher in the world.
Re: Software Developers, Most of Your Jobs are Going To India! by kambo(m): 8:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
*Post deleted*

(1) (Reply)

How To Automate My MTN Data Share Business Online? / Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. / How To Become An ASP.NET Developer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.