Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Frank Talk About Race And Racism - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frank Talk About Race And Racism (5972 Views)

Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk To Our Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 2:56am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

Not all preconceived opinions(prejudices) are wrong.Many preconceptions are based on evidence.

If I was a police officer doing random searches for concealed knives on the streets on London and I decide to select young men,mainly, for my searches-my decision making here can be seen by many as fitting the definition of prejudice-but it would be a "prejudice" based on tons of indisputable evidence showing that young men are more likely to carry knives than any other segment of society.

Wouldn't the above be "prejudice" which serves a good purpose?

but what if i was i young black guy, walking down the street of london, because of ur prejudice, i more likely to stopped, even though i have done nothing wrong, than if i was a young white guy, is this not bad?

i get wat ur saying tho, and as i mentioned before, not everything is so black and white, people should not be looking at it as 'bad' and 'good' but rather the situtation and reasoning behind the prejudice.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:58am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

Not all preconceived opinions(prejudices) are wrong.Many preconceptions are based on evidence.

If I was a police officer doing random searches for concealed knives on the streets on London and I decide to select young men,mainly, for my searches-my decision making here can be seen by many as fitting the definition of prejudice-but it would be a "prejudice" based on tons of indisputable evidence showing that young men are more likely to carry knives than any other segment of society.

Fitting the description and profile is indeed prejudice and wrong, but yes it does serve a good purpose. Targeting certain groups and individuals to solve a crime is necessary, the ends sometimes justify the means. Is it it bed YES.

Racial profiling is prevalent in North American cities and it usually just fuels more tension, but if it gets a criminal of the streets, hey am all for it, someone may have a different view though,
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 2:58am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

Well in that context U maybe right.
Maybe I should put my question this way : All prejudices might be built on pre concieved opinions but are all pre concieved opinions considered as "prejudice"
Cos in the example above, I dont see anybody being discriminated against.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:00am On Mar 19, 2008
Off course men are being discriminated against in his example. grin
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:00am On Mar 19, 2008
Uche2nna:

I am still having problems relating the word intuiton to another form of prejudice. Intuition is like having a 6th sense and should not be confused with prejudice.

in·tu·i·tion (nt-shn, -ty-)---a. The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition
2. A sense of something not evident or deducible; an impression.

Prejudice : A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A[b] leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice[/b].
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 3:01am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Do you realize you have continually put down the other side as being SMALL MINDED/ NARROWMINDED/IGNORANT. But if I called on a man who shared the other side of this view, he would probably use the same words when considering your position ? Are you sure it is BLACK AND WHITE as you think or more based on the idea you have of your world and how it ought to be??

In that example if you notice, it is completely legal to be have no prejudice against gays in America and it is completely legal to have it against gays in Saudi arabia. But you did not even based your own assumption on the legal status differing in both countries in this issue but on your own FOREJUDGEMENT, you own PRECONCEIVED OPINION, hence your own PREJUDICE, LMAO!!! Do you see what I see now

i sed not everything is black and white.
hmmm, im getting really confused now. need to think about what u wrote.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:03am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

but what if i was i young black guy, walking down the street of london, because of your prejudice, i more likely to stopped, even though i have done nothing wrong, than if i was a young white guy, is this not bad?

The reality is that the Police can't search everybody,this would be demanding the impossible. Here,a preconceived opinion about the likelihood of a particular person to be in possession of knives would enable the police efficiently execute its tasks.

Of course,there is always the possibility of a prejudice being effectively exaggerated but,in the circumstance I pointed out,prejudice does serve a useful purpose.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:06am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

The reality is that the Police can't search everybody,this would be demanding the impossible. Here,a preconceived opinion about the likelihood of a particular person to be in possession of knives would enable the police efficiently execute its tasks.

Of course,there is always the possibility of a prejudice being effectively exaggerated but,in the circumstance I pointed out,prejudice does serve a useful purpose.
Why don't you go on and effectively say that prejudice is good sometimes

Kobojunkie:

in·tu·i·tion (nt-shn, -ty-)---a. The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition

Prejudice : A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A[b] leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice[/b].

Give me the definition of sense and cognitive while your at
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 3:06am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

in·tu·i·tion (nt-shn, -ty-)---a. The act or[b] faculty of knowing or sensing [/b] without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition

So?
Faculty of[b] knowing [/b] or sensing  . Those are key words.

For prejudice, u dont know. U just have a pre concieved opinion based on other people's opinions, experiences or preferences. U dont need that in the case of intuition or it wont be intuition, innit?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:08am On Mar 19, 2008
Uche2nna:

Well in that context You maybe right.
Maybe I should put my question this way : All prejudices might be built on pre concieved opinions but are all pre concieved opinions considered as "prejudice"
Cos in the example above, I don't see anybody being discriminated against.

I think the young men will beg to differ.

I would say that the point about discrimination is to a certain extent irrelevant for prejudice can be present in the absence of discrimination.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 3:09am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

yes, it is beneficial for the police to stop young people, ok thats good prejudice.

But theres always 2 sides to everything.

it is a common fact that the police do more stop and search on young black guys than young white guys. So, if the police are stopping and searching more young people, and their prejudice is influencing them to stop black guys, is this not a bad thing.

I know many of my friends have stopped and searched by the police, when they havent done nothing wrong, but because of thir skin colour their immediately thought of to be criminals.

soo, it is not beneficial for the young people to be stopped by the police. bad prejudice.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 3:10am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

How about the other party involved? I'm just curious
4 Play your black right? Okay let's say you're walking down the street and a Policeman stops you to search you and you just know its because you're black, are you saying its justified? or its for a good cause? surely you won't take offense because it is more efficient for them?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:11am On Mar 19, 2008
There is actually more discrimination than prejudice in your example David.
Since these men are being randomly selected, or is it from a criminal database? LOL
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:12am On Mar 19, 2008
Uche2nna:

So?
Faculty of[b] knowing [/b] or sensing  . Those are key words.

For prejudice, u don't know. You just have a pre concieved opinion based on other people's opinions, experiences or preferences. You don't need that in the case of intuition or it wont be intuition, innit?

No, In this case, the phrase WITHOUT  The USE OF RATIONAL PROCESSES should key here. For intuition, you do not know for sure but you sense what you know is correct. Same applies to the case of Prejudice. You do not know anything else but that what you know is correct.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:13am On Mar 19, 2008
Prejudice beliefs are BAD. Racism is BAD, any form of discrimination is BAD
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 3:15am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

I think the young men will beg to differ.

I would say that the point about discrimination is to a certain extent irrelevant for prejudice can be present in the absence of discrimination.

Well, the real question is "were all the young men proclaimed guilty cos of the fact that "most young men carry knives". That to me is where the prejudice comes in. The police man was just acting on facts available to him and everbody does that from time to time.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:16am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

No, In this case, the phrase WITHOUT The USE OF RATIONAL PROCESSES should key here. For intuition, you do not know for sure but you sense what you know is correct. Same applies to the case of Prejudice. You do not know anything else but that what you know is correct.
So because you have an intuition something bad is going to happen you must act on it.
This is not a prejudice, that in fact stays with you and your ignorance forever!!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:17am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

yes, it is beneficial for the police to stop young people, ok thats good prejudice.

But theres always 2 sides to everything.

it is a common fact that the police do more stop and search on young black guys than young white guys. So, if the police are stopping and searching more young people, and their prejudice is influencing them to stop black guys, is this not a bad thing.

I know many of my friends have stopped and searched by the police, when they havent done nothing wrong, but because of thir skin colour their immediately thought of to be criminals.

Why do you seem to acknowledge the rationale in 'profiling' young people but immediately recoil at the prospect of profiling young black men?

If the underlying rationale is sound-to find as efficiently as possible,those in possession of knives-then the Police would be justified in singling out young black men for. . . . . . surprise, surprise;guess which race is disproportionately more likely to be carrying knives in London.

Of course,like I noted before,these preconceptions may be grossly exaggerated,especially when being put into practice, but it still doesn't vitiate their underlying soundness and functionality.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

So because you have an intuition something bad is going to happen you must act on it.
This is not a prejudice, that in fact stays with you and your ignorance forever!!!!

Even as not all people act on their intuition, not all people act upon their prejudice beliefs either. I mean even racists proclaimed they would vote for obama in this election over hillary. Being prejudice against another does not necessary mean you will act in a way to impinge on the rights of the other, it just means you have that prejudgment, bias, against the other party.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:21am On Mar 19, 2008
If they are so functional why are they lacking practicality?
Prejudice beliefs do not act on facts for Goodness sake!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:22am On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

How about the other party involved? I'm just curious
4 Play your black right? Okay let's say you're walking down the street and a Policeman stops you to search you and you just know its because you're black, are you saying its justified? or its for a good cause? surely you won't take offense because it is more efficient for them?

Instinctively,I would be offended but I still understand why they do it.At the end of the day,the main victims of knife crimes in London(so-called black-on-black crime)are blacks,so this would be a small price to pay for a larger more useful cause.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:23am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I don't know if you see it yourself but you are starting to come off as some one with a lot of prejudices yourself. LMAO!!! Come on!!! Do you not see what you are doing right now?? You are starting to classify the other side as not being factual and what not. That itself shows something, some preconceieved opinion you have of the other side, even if it is not illegal for them to be that way.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 3:23am On Mar 19, 2008
Still dont want to confuse intuition with prejudice.  

Anyways, U guys have a gd nite.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 3:23am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

Why do you seem to acknowledge the rationale in 'profiling' young people but immediately recoil at the prospect of profiling young black men?

If the underlying rationale is sound-to find as efficiently as possible,those in possession of knives-then the Police would be justified in singling out young black men for. . . . . . surprise, surprise;guess which race is disproportionately more likely to be carrying knives in London.

Of course,like I noted before,these preconceptions may be grossly exaggerated,especially when being put into practice, but it still doesn't vitiate their underlying soundness and functionality.

im not acknowleding the profiling young people, was it not u who gave this example, i was trying to explain how prejudice is bad from your example. the topic which of this thread is about race and racism, what a better example than to choose that of which is happening in the UK and America with the police force.

JosBoy4Lif:

u talk a lot of sense. What all you said is true.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:26am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Even as not all people act on their intuition, not all people act upon their prejudice beliefs either. I mean even racists proclaimed they would vote for obama in this election over hillary. Being prejudice against another does not necessary mean you will act in a way to impinge on the rights of the other, it just means you have that prejudgment, bias, against the other party.

Those racists are still harboring hate for Obama, more hate for Billary, I mean Hillary though.
Not all people act on their prejudice beliefs I am aware of that. But then technically their is no bias without any action, hmmmm undecided
And being passively prejudice is still BAD same with passive Racism, as most of us are,
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:27am On Mar 19, 2008
This is my take on this. To be prejudice is human. We all exercise that right on a daily basis, whether we like it or not. Some claim it is intuition, others accept that it is simple pure right to be selective and that is fine too. It is legal to ascribe to whatever belief we want, it remains however illegal in the country I live in for anyone to try to weild power over me in anyway and for that I am grateful to God.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:28am On Mar 19, 2008
Can someone still give me an example of prejudice that is good? I still have not been satisfied, Seems like its easy to find BAD ones eh?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 3:29am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I don't think you can just classify all prejudice as baseless though, you have to look at it from the other person's point of view too.
Okay for example lets look at a white dude who has been robbed and bullied solely by people of African descent. Let's say he has been robbed at least thrice by black people, would you say his prejudice is baseless or bad? Okay now child predators and paedophiles, you just know that if they have done it once they are prone to committing the same offense again, would you consider it prejudiced to keep close watch on them and not leaving your kids around them, even though they may not attempt anything bad? IMO I think my perception of Prejudice is bad only when its being directed at me. I think prejudice is just part of being human, just like negative emotions such as jealousy are part of being human.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:29am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Who says they lack practicality?The example I used exemplifies prejudice serving a useful purpose.

Many,if not most,prejudiced beliefs are based on facts.Many "I'slamophobes" base their prejudice on actual examples of i'slamist violence,a homophobe in W.Europe may base his prejudice on the fact that homosexuals are the biggest vectors of HIV/AIDS,e.t.c.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 3:30am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Those racists are still harboring hate for Obama, more hate for Billary, I mean Hillary though.
Not all people act on their prejudice beliefs I am aware of that. But then technically their is no bias without any action, hmmmm undecided
And being passively prejudice is still BAD same with passive Racism, as most of us are,

discrimination is based on their action, while prejudice their attitude. So just because their racist it doesnt mean their going to discriminate against obama by not voting for him.

Just realised that 4-plays example is discrimination based on prejudice.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:32am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Can someone still give me an example of prejudice that is good? I still have not been satisfied, Seems like its easy to find BAD ones eh?

Do you watch SCIFI?? Try to remove yourself from your preconcieved notion of how things ought to be and maybe you will see that you have been given good ideas but because you have your mind made up, it elludes you. Get a good SCIFI move please. ALTERNATE universe be the topic and watch it.

With you, let me use the bible's example. In the Bible, over and over God tells his people not to marry the people of other tribes, other religions and so on. Do you think that is not God calling his own to be exercise prejudice beliefs? (Now I pray you are not one of those who tries to rationalize things away). God has his reasons and he points them out. I mean over and over, they are deemed unclean, unholy, inferior on some level. If a woman back turned a man down for being of a different people or different religion etc. Was she being prejudice?? If a woman today based her selection of a man on the same commands, is that prejudice?? or ok??
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 3:34am On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

I don't think you can just classify all prejudice as baseless though, you have to look at it from the other person's point of view too.
Okay for example lets look at a white dude who has been robbed and bullied solely by people of African descent. Let's say he has been robbed at least thrice by black people, would you say his prejudice is baseless or bad? Okay now child predators and paedophiles, you just know that if they have done it once they are prone to committing the same offense again, would you consider it prejudiced to keep close watch on them and not leaving your kids around them, even though they may not attempt anything bad? IMO I think my perception of Prejudice is bad only when its being directed at me. I think prejudice is just part of being human, just like negative emotions such as jealousy are part of being human.

your giving reasons for people being prejudice not examples of them.

these are prejudice

1) all black people are theifs
2) all men who are in parks are pedophiles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Akpabio's World Class Water Works. Pics.. / Delta To Introduce Automated Fare Collection In State-owned Buses / Baraje, Oyinlola, Others Sue PDP, INEC Over Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.