Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Frank Talk About Race And Racism - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frank Talk About Race And Racism (5976 Views)

Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk To Our Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by DisGuy: 4:39am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

And [size=14pt]why[/size] do we continue to feed these stereotypes?

so we can feel superior or at least feed our insecure self!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:40am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

The average white man thinks blacks are intellectually inferior, do we help dispell this "myth" when a large percentage of black teens in America will drop out of school, 30% of black males are in jail and Africa remains a hellhole?
Still wondering what feeds these stereotypes?
Their are more African Americans in jail than their are in colleges.
Future doctors, accountants, and other great minds are locked up and get botched up in the systematic racism of the north american society.

They did a study with a group of black children
showed them a black barbie and a white barbie asked the which one was more attractive
they chose the white barbie, barbie had the exact same futures but except for colour.

Society continually tells us to be black is rubbish and dirty
stigmatization of many black folks occurs, Africa is lacking unity therefore its woes will continue! (you remember the Hutu's and Tutsi's, masterminded by the Belgium gonernment?)
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:41am On Mar 19, 2008
Dis Guy:

so we can feel superior or at least feed our insecure self!

Not for all. That only applies to those who have insecurity issues though.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:42am On Mar 19, 2008
Africa for goodness sake is Eurocentric
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:44am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Future doctors, accountants, and other great minds are locked up and get botched up in the systematic racism of the north american society.

showed them a black barbie and a white barbie asked the which one was more attractive
they chose the white barbie, barbie had the exact same futures but except for colour.

stigmatization of many black folks occurs, Africa is lacking unity therefore its woes will continue! (you remember the Hutu's and Tutsi's, masterminded by the Belgium gonernment?)

Yet I have a niece that does not necessarily prefer a white doll to a black dora doll. Some are influenced by what they see and are told. I saw that story on tv myself. What I didn't like however was that we were not told how much exposure those kids have actually had to people of the other race. I mean take a kid who lives in the ghetto somewhere, among black people who take drugs and she has to watch while her mother raves at her father for drinking yet again, what doll do you think she would pick, even if she has has little exposure to white people in her life??
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Nobody: 4:44am On Mar 19, 2008
And why do we continue to feed these stereotypes?

Stereotypes do help. Yeah we might rule it to be prejudice or discriminatory to hold my purse or quicken my steps when a black guy dressed in a certain way with a hardened face is next to me, but we should also not rule out the fact that the guy could really be a thief.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:46am On Mar 19, 2008
stillwater:

Stereotypes do help. Yeah we might rule it to be prejudice or discriminatory to hold my purse or quicken my steps when a black guy dressed in a certain way with a hardened face is next to me, but we should also not rule out the fact that the guy could really be a thief.

Just as the Italian in the nice suite could be a cold-blooded killer coming for you! appearances are deceiving
BEWARE of The Wolf in Sheeps SKIN
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 4:47am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Josboy, is all this the fault of the white man? Is he locking up people based on skin color or on the basis of retribution as clearly spelled out under the law?
Yes black children pick white barbie dolls . . . is that the fault of the white man? If he makes a white barbie for his daughter are u forced to go buy it? why dont u make a black one for ur own daughter?

Society says black is rubbish - unfortunately we have also bought into this stereotype . . . what with the number of people using bleaching creams, our inherent predilection for blacks with fairer skin, the rage to use fake horse hair to the detriment of our local hairstyles . . . is this all the white man's fault?

Africa lacks unity - its not as if the whites are any more united than we are.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:53am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

Josboy, is all this the fault of the white man? Is he locking up people based on skin color or on the basis of retribution as clearly spelled out under the law?
Yes black children pick white barbie dolls . . . is that the fault of the white man? If he makes a white barbie for his daughter are u forced to go buy it? why don't u make a black one for your own daughter?

Society says black is rubbish - unfortunately we have also bought into this stereotype . . . what with the number of people using bleaching creams, our inherent predilection for blacks with fairer skin, the rage to use fake horse hair to the detriment of our local hairstyles . . . is this all the white man's fault?

Africa lacks unity - its not as if the whites are any more united than we are.

We have bought into this stereotype so much that we racist amongst ourselves, well done we have succeeded
The white man is the most unified race on the planet , this has attributed to their western world being so highly developed!!! WHAT ARE ON?

Black people are the exact opposite individually we are the most strongest, unfortunately their is no I IN TEAM.
Did you know that virtually the whole entire european family is related, go figure oooo. EUROPEAN UNION, NAFTA.
The white man is a gazillion times more united than us Aricans!!! come what the HE:LL MAN?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:53am On Mar 19, 2008

Tribalism has been in existence, way before the "white" man set foot on the shores of africa. The black man was more than willing to sell his enemy over to the white man for a piece of a mirror or gun powder. Back during the time of the greeks and the romans, many of those who traded slaves in the world back then where black merchants selling other blacks. Why is it suddenly the white man's fault
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 4:54am On Mar 19, 2008
Jos, the white man cant be anymore united than the Arabs . . . are the arabs any better than us minus their oil?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:58am On Mar 19, 2008
@ David

The white man is a trillion times more united than the Arab. In fact the Chinese and Indians are more united than the Arabs for peats sake! Your talking about countries that bail each other out in Economic crises as is the case right now, Why hasn't Saudi Arabia done anything for Dar Fur, Don't Bring that Bullocks here man.

The white man is the most united organized race on the PLANET
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 5:00am On Mar 19, 2008
The whites were so united they virtually decimated Germany in 1945.
The whites are so united that USSR and the USA were in a cold war for decades that is still smouldering . . .

It has nothing to do with "unity" but a willingness to succeed.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:02am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Tribalism has been in existence, way before the "white" man set foot on the shores of africa. The black man was more than willing to sell his enemy over to the white man for a piece of a mirror or gun powder. Back during the time of the greeks and the romans, many of those who traded slaves in the world back then where black merchants selling other blacks. Why is it suddenly the white man's fault

Systematic slavery still happens today my friend right there in the land of the FREE. But let me tell you something it is not the fault of the white man. At the end of the day it is the fault of me and you and our lack of synergistic unity.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:04am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Systematic slavery still happens today my friend right there in the land of the FREE. But let me tell you something it is not the fault of the white man. At the end of the day it is the fault of me and you and our lack of synergistic unity.

Systematic Slavery? Pray tell what you would consider "systematic slavery".

Slavery exists all over the world today, dude. I hate to inform you but I am not anti-Slavery grin . I believe it plays a role. Becareful to know who you are speaking to, LMAO!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:05am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

The whites were so united they virtually decimated Germany in 1945.
The whites are so united that USSR and the USA were in a cold war for decades that is still smouldering . . .

It has nothing to do with "unity" but a willingness to succeed.

Germany's economy was in Ruins, USSR union was in ruins, they both join the G8 voila, like a magical switch is instantly turned on.
Look at Serbia and Turkey not united with the western world, bye bye to Kosovo, bye bye to Cypress Turks, true indigines,

Hey lets hate each other but have a willingness to succeed, not in the real world. relationships are what form cohesiveness and willingness to succeed.
I hate you but lets build a nation together, lol!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:06am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Systematic Slavery? Pray tell what you would consider "systematic slavery".

Slavery exists all over the world today, dude. I hate to inform you but I am not anti-Slavery grin . I believe it plays a role. Becareful to know who you are speaking to, LMAO!!!

o boy na wa oo. You worked at Folgers abi Maxwell house?
maybe Nike?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:09am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

o boy na wa oo. You worked at Folgers abi Maxwell house?
maybe Nike?

Na by force to work at folgers or Maxwell house or even Nike?? I mean you still meet those who have worked at the same that will tell you that it was the best experience of their life. I understand what you mean now when you say systematic slavery but I believe it has it's place and it's role in the world we live in today but best to see both sides to understand why it is needed. Like I said I believe slavery has it's place in society.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:14am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Na by force to work at folgers or Maxwell house or even Nike?? I mean you still meet those who have worked at the same that will tell you that it was the best experience of their life. I understand what you mean now when you say systematic slavery but I believe it has it's place and it's role in the world we live in today but best to see both sides to understand why it is needed. Like I said I believe slavery has it's place in society.

could you please expand on this last statement, I want to understand your Eben Flow ?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

could you please expand on this last statement, I want to understand your Eben Flow ?

Let me just say that after considering all the many forms of slavery that have existed in the past and that which even exists to this day, I have come to the conclusion that not all slavery is wrong. Just as there are good men and bad men, there are good masters and bad masters. And not all slaves are treated as we know our ancestors where treated at the hands of their foreign masters. Infact, not all foreign slave masters where evil as we know of stories of slaves who instead got education and even freedom from their masters after so long. To help you understand me better, please go back to stories of slaves and the way they were to be treated by their masters as outlined in the bible ( As I mentioned earlier, I happen to be a very religous person) grin
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 5:21am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Let me just say that after considering all the many forms of slavery that have existed in the past and that which even exists to this day, I have come to the conclusion that not all slavery is wrong. Just as there are good men and bad men, there are good masters and bad masters. And not all slaves are treated as we know our ancestors where treated at the hands of their foreign masters. Infact, not all foreign slave masters where evil as we know of stories of slaves who instead got education and even freedom from their masters after so long. To help you understand me better, please go back to stories of slaves and the way they were to be treated by their masters as outlined in the bible ( As I mentioned earlier, I happen to be a very religous person) grin

wow
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 5:24am On Mar 19, 2008
LMAO! Pray tell, what kinds of slavery is right?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:25am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

You must be joking man grin, I know this cannot be it?
So would you mind being a slave if your master treated you good? 1 Simple Question? maybe instead of 40 acres and a mule you get 20 acres and two mules. Na Wa OOO
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:28am On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

LMAO! Pray tell, what kinds of slavery is right?

WACK example for you to consider :  A man takes a $10,000 loan from a rich man to do business in Nigeria with that money. Unfortunately for him, his business idea did not pan out and he spends the next 2 years trying to find a job to pay off his debt to the rich man but no deal. The man then goes to the rich man to explain why he has been avoiding him for years now. Then the rich man says, " I am in need of a gateman since I have been concerned about the situation in the neighbourhood with all the stories of armed robbers and the sort". He then suggests to the poor man the he serve him as his gateman for two years to pay off his debt and they both agree to this.

1) Do you realize this is considered slavery
2) Is any of these men wrong to strike such a deal

These sort of deals happen every day across africa daily. Has it worked for many?? Definitely. From mothers who send their daughters/sons off to be servants in the city in exchange for education during the same time. Is it then wrong even with the good many have gained from such arrangements?? I say NO, you decide your view on this instead.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 5:33am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

WACK example for you to consider : A man takes a $10,000 loan from a rich man to do business in Nigeria with that money. Unfortunately for him, his business idea did not pan out and he spends the next 2 years trying to find a job to pay off his debt to the rich man but no deal. The man then goes to the rich man to explain why he has been avoiding him for years now. Then the rich man says, " I am in need of a gateman since I have been concerned about the situation in the neighbourhood with all the stories of armed robbers and the sort". He then suggests to the poor man the he serve him as his gateman for two years to pay off his debt and they both agree to this.

These sort of deals happen every day across africa daily. Has it worked for many?? Definitely. Is it then wrong even with the good many have gained from such arrangements?? I say NO, you decide your view on this instead.

I consider it slavery only if the time taken to the repay the debt is indefinite. Its a contract undertaken between two people for a fixed amount of time, surely you dont consider that slavery?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:36am On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

I consider it slavery only if the time taken to the repay the debt is indefinite. Its a contract undertaken between two people for a fixed amount of time, surely you don't consider that slavery?

But dude, slavery in itself is a contract. Indefinite or not. He called working at Maxwell Systemic slavery. Under any name you choose, Slavery is slavery. When it then comes down to conditions then you can try to separate. There are slaves right now, even in Africa who would die for their masters and they accept that they are slaves. But then there are those who would themselves kill their own masters for being evil to them.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:37am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

WACK example for you to consider : A man takes a $10,000 loan from a rich man to do business in Nigeria with that money. Unfortunately for him, his business idea did not pan out and he spends the next 2 years trying to find a job to pay off his debt to the rich man but no deal. The man then goes to the rich man to explain why he has been avoiding him for years now. Then the rich man says, " I am in need of a gateman since I have been concerned about the situation in the neighbourhood with all the stories of armed robbers and the sort". He then suggests to the poor man the he serve him as his gateman for two years to pay off his debt and they both agree to this.

These sort of deals happen every day across africa daily. Has it worked for many?? Definitely. From mothers who send their daughters/sons off to be servants in the city in exchange for education during the same time. Is it then wrong even with the good many have gained from such arrangements?? I say NO, you decide your view on this instead.

$10,0000 = 1,200,000 =N=/ 2 = 600,000
600,000/12 = 50,000 =N= per month

Wow 50,000 =N= month, lets not even factor in NPV
Thats more than some lecturers in Nigeria, Not a bad way to pay off a debt, seems fair and reasonable

Seems like this seems pretty fair and equitable, will he be getting food and shelter, o boy he is living better than the majority.
/this absolute sense is acceptable, but not encouraged my 2 kobo
Does this foster growth in a nation, hell no, is he being forced to do it? being a slave is optional?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:39am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

$10,0000 = 1,200,000 =N=/ 2 = 600,000
600,000/12 = 50,000 =N= per month

Wow 50,000 =N= month, lets not even factor in NPV
Thats more than some lecturers in Nigeria, Not a bad way to pay off a debt, seems fair and reasonable

Seems like this seems pretty fair and equitable, will he be getting food and shelter, o boy he is living better than the majority.
Slavery in this absolute sense is acceptable, but not encouraged my 2 kobo

Would you pay off his bill for him instead?? If not, you do not even have a right to a position since you are not involved. LMAO!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:41am On Mar 19, 2008
Do they accept VISA grin
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 5:46am On Mar 19, 2008
So I hope you see now how not ALL Slavery is wrong. I am not quick to condemning most everything without considering all possible sides is my point here. In some cases, I accept an absolute answer but in other cases, I am open to considering sides and weighing evidence, just like everyone else is , LMAO!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:56am On Mar 19, 2008
I get case wey I go analyze for 2morrow class, we go hammer heads some more on this issue later but untill than let me leave with a quote:

"Unity without verity [truth] is no better than conspiracy" - Puritan John Trapp
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 5:59am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I get case wey I go analyze for 2morrow class, we go hammer heads some more on this issue later but untill than let me leave with a quote:

"Unity without verity [truth] is no better than conspiracy" - Puritan John Trapp
U of T?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obasanjo’s Wife, Major Moji Adekunle Obasanjo, Dies / Fake Miracle : "He Has Transformed From Black Prophet To Yellow Prophet" (photos / CVR: Nigerians Sue INEC Over Incomplete Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.