Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25716 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 3:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
gramci:

Its as if you don't know the meaning of dress code as it applies to uniform. If I should follow you logic, the school shouldn't act when female students starts wearing "bum shot"

hey, wat is d herm in allowin dem to wear their hijab. Its still all part of uniform. Last tym i check 9ja constitution, there is freedom of religion.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naijathings(m): 3:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus: d muslims girls hav d right to wear their hijabs anywhere dey are. So u ppl xpect dem to be openin their heads like u ppl abi.
Hypocrites.
so whoever covers her hair to school is not a hypocrite? you know how many of those babes i enter when i been dey secondary school?
na dem hide to take banana and clean mouth.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 3:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202: For those that are unaware, this is one of the reasons that led to the protest

12year-old given 43 strokes of cane over hijab

https://www.nairaland.com/1204244/12-year-old-caned-wearing-hijab-out

43 Strokes of the cane was definitely overkill, but then again it doesnt make what she did any less of an offence.

The Principal should be disciplined, but the girl also should be cautioned.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by ckkris: 3:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju: I thought Boko Haram said western Education was bad: They should go to Almajiri schools where Hijab is allowed jor!! angry

As a Native doctor we have a dresscode, but I never carried my staff of office or cowry beads to schools.

Religion is not grounds for disobidience. Their is a separation between Religion and state. If you want to wear your religous paraphenelia to school, then go to a religous school.

This kind of thing should not be encouraged in public schools. This is also why I have been against Christian Prayers during assemblies and office meetings.

We Nigerians are very badly behaved, both Christians & Muslims alike.

Okija World wide. Pagans should paint red and white as their human right.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by alaoeri: 3:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
Mr McJay: OK. Why did they not protest when some xtian profs were shot in UNIMAID?
If they want veils, there are now schools for almajiris, they should pick up the forms.

BTW, why is this on the frontpage?
For your mind u are making sense abi or those any person stop xtians from protesting the murder of their profs. Its only government that can ban hijab in its institutions not some silly principals & govt can't even try such.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by icansimi(m): 3:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
buJu-234:
why is islam always in the news either 4 fight; war or protest. whyyy

Food for thought

4 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 3:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
victorazy: Rubbish!!!
Schools have dress code, and if anybody go contrary to it must face the wrath.

By the way, what is the meaning of this rubbish "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam" ban me I don't care u only loose one esteemed donor!

I am so sure they must have been warned but kept flouting laws before they were beaten.

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 3:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
[quote author=Okija_juju][b]I thought Boko Haram said western Education was bad: They should go to Almajiri schools where Hijab is allowed jor!! angry

hey,mister man be careful wit ur post & respect ur self,okey
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by aryzgreat: 3:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam

May be sabath, cele, cherubim students should also be allowed to wear their white garment and go bare-footed to school, mtchewwwww muslims always causing confusion!

8 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dirk: 3:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
I'm not maniacally bewildered that the even the young adherents of islam have started exhibiting their natural animalistic platitude of violence. What is the definition of uniform? It won't be a fallacy to say that their protest has been encouraged by the giantomaias and the high priests of the religion. I however commend the girls sha...they are good followers of their fathers.

7 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by adexsimply(m): 3:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju: I thought Boko Haram said western Education was bad: They should go to Almajiri schools where Hijab is allowed jor!! angry

As a Native doctor we have a dresscode, but I never carried my staff of office or cowry beads to schools.

Religion is not grounds for disobidience. Their is a separation between Religion and state. If you want to wear your religous paraphenelia to school, then go to a religous school.

This kind of thing should not be encouraged in public schools. [size=15pt]This is also why I have been against Christian Prayers during assemblies[/size] and office meetings.

We Nigerians are very badly behaved, both Christians & Muslims alike.
dont forget..most of those schools were built by christian missionaries
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by gramci: 3:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

hey, wat is d herm in allowin dem to wear their hijab. Its still all part of uniform. Last tym i check 9ja constitution, there is freedom of religion.

The principal is in better position to know what is part of the uniform and not you.

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 3:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
adexsimply:

But have now been taken over by the state.

The State funds these schools and for this reason, they must remove all religious tags from them.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 3:57pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

can u c hw stu.pid u are.

And later today, you will do Abulution and kneel facing the East to pray to Allah, and expect him to answer you!!

I really pity you!

7 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 28, 2013
Western education is bad, yet they want to dictate how they should dress while acquiring the so-called western education. Pls is there eastern education? Just asking!

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by gramci: 3:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
aryzgreat: To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam

May be sabath, cele, cherubim students should also be allowed to wear their white garment and go bare-footed to school, mtchewwwww muslims always causing confusion!

Include nudists.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 3:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

43 Strokes of the cane was definitely overkill, but then again it doesnt make what she did any less of an offence.

The Principal should be disciplined, but the girl also should be cautioned.

I choose to ignore you
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 4:00pm On Feb 28, 2013
What does Nigerian and Lagos State law say about this?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
gramci:

The principal is in better position to know what is part of the uniform and not you.

ehen abi, so d principal nw hav right to trample on d right of some citizens cos of some religion different. I knw if its a muslim principal that say maybe d xtains student shld stop wearin cruxifixes to school, many of u here will be cryin fowl.
Hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 4:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202:
I choose to ignore you

Noted!

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
iv4fb: Western education is bad, yet they want to dictate how they should dress while acquiring the so-called western education. Pls is there eastern education? Just asking!

u c hw brainwashed and slowpoke u hav been. So, cos d idiotic BH said western education is bad, u too follow d bandwagon. Ur education is a waste.

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olapluto(m): 4:03pm On Feb 28, 2013
The principals involved acted beyond their jurisdiction. This issue of ijab in schools is a crisis waiting to happen if our authorities do not nip it in the bud. Even in UK, primary school children wear ijabs to schools in public schools. I was at Stratford early this month and opportuned to see a primary school playing ground at lunchtime. I was very impressed with how everyone got along well, with the young gals in ijab playing and doing well.
The pupils do not have any issues with their mate wearing ijab. It is only the overzealous principals and teachers who try to enforce their religion.
Having said that, I think however, that our MSSN could have approached this in a more effective and legal way. They do not need 200 pupils shouting 'Allah Akbar'.. All they need is 2 brothers and 2 sisters who know their worth. There's a tactic to approach every problem

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 4:03pm On Feb 28, 2013
adexsimply:
I think the main reason is because Christian students are in the majority.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

And later today, you will do Abulution and kneel facing the East to pray to Allah, and expect him to answer you!!

I really pity you!

u need to pit urself first, cos u hav no direction.
SMH for u
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by 1shortblackboy: 4:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija juju for president grin

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by 9ineralandcom: 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
dis issue wit religion all d time.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
The law of the state supercedes every other thing. If you can't obey the law then look for a school where your lawlessness is law. I'm even surprised that law breakers have the temerity to protest lawlessness. I'll like to know what Fashola said to them.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by buJu234: 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
@ abdulkayus

which right are u the only religion in Nigeria sef... u go to every govt. parastatal u will find a mosque there; eh ....

Islam is jst giving everybody headache from christians to Jews to hindus to babalawo even to them selves (sunnis Vs shites).

Moderator; i tot NL is a free social network; Seun u tot that we all came here jst to make u b n Forbes abi? there are other nigerian online forum ok..
so Moderator stop intimidating people ok. u re not feeding any one

Lets the truth b said; this religion own is becoming too much; they act as if they owe the whole world.... wenti sef.... Yesterday Islam this; today islam dis; tomorrow islam dat. from Africa to Europe to asia; wenti sef...

14 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by gramci: 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
iv4fb: Western education is bad, yet they want to dictate how they should dress while acquiring the so-called western education. Pls is there eastern education? Just asking!

Yes, there you are thought how to manufacture IED's
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
ola_pluto: The principals involved acted beyond their jurisdiction. This issue of ijab in schools is a crisis waiting to happen if our authorities do not nip it in the bud. Even in UK, primary school children wear ijabs to schools in public schools. I was at Stratford early this month and opportuned to see a primary school playing ground at lunchtime. I was very impressed with how everyone got along well, with the young gals in ijab playing and doing well.
The pupils do not have any issues with their mate wearing ijab. It is only the overzealous principals and teachers who try to enforce their religion.
Having said that, I think however, that our MSSN could have approached this in a more effective and legal way. They do not need 200 pupils shouting 'Allah Akbar'.. All they need is 2 brothers and 2 sisters who know their worth. There's a tactic to approach every problem

May God bless u. Ori e wambe. U get sense pass many hypocrites here.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dadicvila(m): 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
Why do we love controversy so much in this part of the world??its called UNIFORM because its worn for UNIFORMITY,you can't just wear whatever your religion agrees with to school....na wa ooo!beside dint this administration build some schools for almajiri's??everybody must not attend a secular school

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dederocs(m): 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202: Hijab: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination

Muslim students in Lagos State public secondary schools today protested at the State House, Ikeja, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, over alleged victimisation of female muslim students who wear hijab to school.

The students, numbering over 200 carried placards and sang “Allah is the greatest,” and demanded from the government to stop victimisation of female Muslim students who wear hijab to school.

The protesters said a JSS 1 students of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute Meta, Aisha Alabi was subjected to inhuman treatment by the Principal, Mrs E.C. Ukpaka for using hijab in school.

They also alleged that an SS3 student, Barira Tajudeen of Mafoluku Senior Grammar School was suspended from school for using hijab by the Principal, Elizabeth Omidele, an act, they said might affect her West African School Certificate Examination.

In a statement issued to the press, the Muslim students demanded that Ukpaka and Omidele should be sacked with immediate effect for promoting actions capable of instigating religious crisis in Lagos and that the suspended student should be recalled immediately.

The students also demanded that hijab should be endorsed as part of the school uniform for Muslim students in all schools in Lagos State just as beret is endorsed.

They also want the commissioner for education to be called to order for failing to prevent maltreatment of Muslim female student.

“It seems there is a consensus among school principals to deliberately disrupt the relative peace in the state by launching assault on innocent Muslim students upholding the moral conduct of their faith through the use of hijab.

“Ironically, these principals have no problems with other female students wearing mini-skirt and mini-gowns as school uniform. They see no crime in that as long as it is not hijab,” the statement said.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/02/28/hijab-muslim-students-protest-discrimination/
they can air their views,but any act of babarism and savagery must be severely dealt with.
Eko'oni baje.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.