Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,926 members, 7,803,004 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46886 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 4:01am On Mar 02, 2013
LAGOS, Nigeria — The young man with the crowbar stood on a heap of rubble — planks, pallets, remains of pots, bits of cardboard, wisps of clothing, chunks of concrete — indistinguishable from every other pile in a field of debris stretching far into the distance.
“This is the home I am staying in before Fashola demolished it,” said John Momoh, 28, looking down at the pile, referring to the governor of Lagos, Babatunde Fashola. Mr. Momoh, a driver, searched doggedly for anything salvageable — a nail, a board — in the mess.

Government backhoes came in and plowed through Mr. Momoh’s simple wooden dwelling and some 500 like it last Saturday, instantly making homeless perhaps 10,000 of Lagos’s poorest residents and destroying a decades-old slum, Badia East.

For days, residents wandered the chaotic rubble-strewn field, near prime Lagos real estate. They were dazed and angry. Small children slept on the muddy ground. Men climbed the mounds of rubble, searching. In intense heat, women, men and children said they were hungry and sleeping outside. The government had destroyed their present, they said, without making any provision for their future.

“I lost everything,” Mr. Momoh said. “We are trying to bring out some sticks, to look for our daily bread,” he said, poking the rubble. “We don’t have money to eat.”

A 30-year-old cook, Kingsley Saviouru, said: “They demolished everything. They didn’t give us anything. We are here, suffering.”

Under Lagos’s energetic governor, much lauded in the international financial media, this crowded megalopolis of high rises, filthy lagoons, fierce traffic jams and sprawling slums, home to perhaps 21 million people, has proclaimed its ambition to become the region’s, if not Africa’s, premier business center.

Infrastructure and housing projects abound, including a light-rail network whose trestles already vault crowded neighborhoods, and a vast upmarket Dubai-style shopping and housing development built out into the Atlantic Ocean, inaugurated last week by former President Bill Clinton. A new Porsche dealership has opened in the financial district.

In this gleaming vision, the old Lagos of slums has an uncertain future. Two-thirds of the city’s residents live in “informal” neighborhoods, as activists call them, while more than one million of the city’s poor have been forcibly ejected from their homes in largely unannounced, government slum clearances over the last 15 years, a leading activist group says.Last summer, there was a brief outcry when government speedboats bearing machete-carrying men cleared out the floating neighborhood of Makoko, making some 30,000 people homeless. At the vast city dump at Ojota, where thousands eke out a living, shacks are cleared out frequently, residents complained.

The Nigerian government’s untender approach to its poor, who account for at least 70 percent of the population, was again on full display last Saturday at Badia East, where even more demolition — another 40,000 live there — is now threatened. The scene Saturday was classic: a black police vehicle pulled up early, armed, uniformed policemen sprang out to quell any restiveness, and the backhoes went to work under the eyes of dismayed residents, slashing through thin wood and concrete block.

Street toughs — called “Area Boys” in Lagos, and often employed by the state government’s demolition squad for around $10, activists said — got busy where the backhoes could not penetrate, smashing flimsy structures with sledgehammers and, Mr. Momoh and others said, stealing residents’ possessions.

Many said they were given 20 minutes, at most, to pack up their belongings.

“Everybody was running helter-skelter,” said a resident, Femi Aiyenuro, adding that those who went back in to retrieve possessions risked being beaten with rifle butts and batons. “They started beating people.”

What little that could be salvaged was piled along a railway line running along Badia’s edge.

Read full story here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/world/africa/homeless-pay-the-price-of-progress-in-lagos-nigeria.html?pagewanted=1&hp

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 4:03am On Mar 02, 2013
It's a good thing to have an ambitious governor that wants to develop lagos fast, but it shouldn't be done on the backs of the poor. Leadership should have a human face.

47 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by engrfcuksmtin(m): 4:24am On Mar 02, 2013
Ok
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by FXKing2012(m): 5:58am On Mar 02, 2013
Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped.

89 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Akshow: 6:04am On Mar 02, 2013
Lagos is not by force!

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by GARRIx7(m): 6:37am On Mar 02, 2013
They're paying the price of disregarding law and order under the guise of poverty, homelessness and helplessness.

Lagos isn't for everyone!!

If you can't afford a decent place in Lagos why not stay in your village. They prefer to build illegal structures and then expect to be compensated for law-breaking.

Nonsense!!

angry

55 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Tigerhead: 7:39am On Mar 02, 2013
I have been reading your ill thought out childish bleats posts. I have always wondered why you think not having a sensible thought in your head is an achievement?

That land belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria. I can not see how invading land that belongs to other people can ever be the way a democratic government should be run.

GARRI (x7):
They're paying the price of disregarding law and order under the guise of poverty, homelessness and helplessness.

If you can't afford a decent place in Lagos why not stay in your village. They prefer to build illegal structures and then expect to be compensated for law-breaking.

Nonsense!!

angry

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by GARRIx7(m): 8:01am On Mar 02, 2013
Tigerhead: I have been reading your ill thought out childish bleats posts. I have always wondered why you think not having a sensible thought in your head is an achievement?

That land belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria. I can not see how invading land that belongs to other people can ever be the way a democratic government should be run.

cheesycheesy

Ok Lagos State belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria.. Are you happy now?? Now can you just get lost??

These people should go back to their village that's no way to live. It's not by force to stay in Lagos..

coolcool

25 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Ejine(m): 8:02am On Mar 02, 2013
FXKing2012: Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped.

In a way, this is true.

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by fkaz(m): 8:09am On Mar 02, 2013
Hope the writer will not forget to write a beautiful piece like this for those in Abuja

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by tiab: 8:24am On Mar 02, 2013
When you think of the mother with her kids, some innocents that didn't ask to be born into the ignorance of their parents, I think an alleviating measure should have been kept in place.A temporary camp should have been provided, considering the poor shall never cease to exist.With the intense rain expected this year, my heart cries out.Mr Governor good job but,provide temps at thesame time.Help please.

20 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by braine(m): 9:24am On Mar 02, 2013
I believe the government must have provided an immediate alternative for them, its just that they are too ignorant. And I'm sure that they can live better in their states of origin.

I wonder how/why people fail to see the bigger picture here. Do these people really feel confortable living in those slums? Do they wish for them ghettoes to be like that forever? Common, Change is needed!

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 9:45am On Mar 02, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Nonsense!!

angry
its easy to say that when its nt u dt is in their position. If you made any research about the area in question or its people, you wld have known that the people being displaced are traditional lagosians who wia initially relocated to this present area when the FG took over their initial settlement to build the national theatre. Now i ask u, which village do u want them to go to? Why are we overtly insensitive to the plight of others in this country? These people in question were NOT even given notice b4 there settlement were demolished.during d press conference whch SERAP or so did, a young man said his admission letter & his travel docs wia all lost there as he never knew b4 hand of the demolision.dont say its good because u were nt affected, tomorrow it might get to u.

95 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by OmoTier1(m): 10:16am On Mar 02, 2013
kross_01:
its easy to say that when its nt u dt is in their position. If you made any research about the area in question or its people, you wld have known that the people being displaced are traditional lagosians who wia initially relocated to this present area when the FG took over their initial settlement to build the national theatre. Now i ask u, which village do u want them to go to? Why are we overtly insensitive to the plight of others in this country? These people in question were NOT even given notice b4 there settlement were demolished.during d press conference whch SERAP or so did, a young man said his admission letter & his travel docs wia all lost there as he never knew b4 hand of the demolision.dont say its good because u were nt affected, tomorrow it might get to u.
I hope you watched the Olympics in London on your screen and you probably was shouting high heaven when Usain bolt bolted away in that final? Do you know how many people were evicted for that Olympic park to be built? Those that couldn't meet the compensation requirement were relocated soonest to much less desirable place because the government wanted to rejuvenate that part of East London using the Olympic as a trigger.

Can I ask you a simple question? Was alternative made for those evicted or not? When did the state government first serves them notice of eviction? If none, why did they not go to court to sue the government? At least Fashola has shown He. Obeys court orders. Please answer those questions....

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 10:43am On Mar 02, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I hope you watched the Olympics in London on your screen and you probably was shouting high heaven when Usain bolt bolted away in that final? Do you know how many people were evicted for that Olympic park to be built? Those that couldn't meet the compensation requirement were relocated soonest to much less desirable place because the government wanted to rejuvenate that part of East London using the Olympic as a trigger.

Can I ask you a simple question? Was alternative made for those evicted or not? When did the state government first serves them notice of eviction? If none, why did they not go to court to sue the government? At least Fashola has shown He. Obeys court orders. Please answer those questions....
From the much i've gathered, there were no alternatives given to them nor relocation, neither were they given prior notice b4 the demolition which is my point. That is why the group SERAP(not sure i got the name right) is suing d govt on their behalf.i actually saw the group's press briefing on channels y'day.

18 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by tunjiajayi: 12:11pm On Mar 02, 2013
Fashola is working, lagos is working!
If you have ever visited badia ijora you would apprecaite the need to clear the area.
50 percent of structures there are brothels,the rest supposed abodes made of zinc sheets and even tarpaulins.
Then there's crime and all sorts of attrocities going on in around there.
Worst thing 70 percent of people living there are not from other parts of the country.
The message is we need even more sanitization of lagos.

Keep up the good work fashola.
On to the next slum ASAP

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by ifyalways(f): 12:18pm On Mar 02, 2013
If only the govt. were this firm with the new tenate-landlord law that forbids collecting of more than 1 year advance by landlords.Some of this slum dwellers cannot afford 2 years rent and the ridiculous agent fees.

On the other hand,we are waiting to see what would be made of the slums. undecided

10 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Tigerhead: 12:27pm On Mar 02, 2013
What is wrong with you people? Why do you have so much problems with due process? That land was acquired by the federal government to house the people fashola is trying to evict. If some rampaging state government wants to shift them , they should go and meet the FG and tell them to move their tenants, YOU CANNOT INVADE A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RESERVATION. I can just imagine if GEJ was to order solders into a lagos state owned estate to evict everyone their. these same fools would not let anyone hear anything.

tunjiajayi: Fashola is working, lagos is working!
If you have ever visited badia ijora you would apprecaite the need to clear the area.
50 percent of structures there are brothels,the rest supposed abodes made of zinc sheets and even tarpaulins.
Then there's crime and all sorts of attrocities going on in around there.
Worst thing 70 percent of people living there are not from other parts of the country.
The message is we need even more sanitization of lagos.

Keep up the good work fashola.
On to the next slum ASAP

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Leboska(m): 12:38pm On Mar 02, 2013
FXKing2012: Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped.
Have you bother to read how responsible government do theirs? Fashola i lose every respect i have for u. U can never rule nigeria lagos will be your last.

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 3:07pm On Mar 02, 2013
kross_01:

Great post. That was the whole reason I wasn't comfortable with it. No prior notice, and apparently they moved there ON A LAND ACQUIRED BY THE FEDERAL GOVT solely to relocate them from the national theater area. So at the very least, the govt should have ascertained people that were originally affected, and moved them elsewhere, then give others 3 months notice to vacate.
At the end of the day it is the same impunity that all of so-called leaders operate with. They feel they are our lords instead of our representatives, so they do whatever they want without consideration of the lives being affected. There will always be poor people in Lagos, no matter how egalitarian they want to make it. Even NYC has beggars and the homeless. Enough with the inhumanity in the guise of developing Lagos!

22 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by FXKing2012(m): 6:38pm On Mar 02, 2013
Leboska:
Have you bother to read how responsible government do theirs? Fashola i lose every respect i have for u. U can never rule nigeria lagos will be your last.
Have you bothered to research how Malam El Rufai transformed Abuja thus making it a Nigerian city to be proud of?

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 6:50pm On Mar 02, 2013
FXKing2012:
Have you bothered to research how Malam El Rufai transformed Abuja thus making it a Nigerian city to be proud of?

The fact that El-rufai did it doesn't make it right. Whether Abuja makes you proud or not doesn't mean cities should be developed on the backs of the poor. These are people, families, we are talking about, not dogs.

14 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by EkoIle1: 7:03pm On Mar 02, 2013
Neo-XVI:

The fact that El-rufai did it doesn't make it right. Whether Abuja makes you proud or not doesn't mean cities should be developed on the backs of the poor. These are people, families, we are talking about, not dogs.

So what would you have done as a leader? Sit around and watch the same poor people live in slums, squalor, dangerous and unhealthy environment and on top of that turn your society into lawless and illegal settlements like some hopeless jungle?

I know we all want to make it in life, but if your dreams of making it in Lagos is not panning out, why not head back to your village or home town where you for sure have family house and decent roof over your head? It's not by force to live city life that you can not support or sustain in anyway. People have to start taking responsibility for their actions and quit hiding under this poor people nonsense. We all have responsibilities and you can not form an illegal settlement and think keep thing nothing is going to happen to you or the place you occupied illegally. The law will come knocking one day one day.

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 02, 2013

Rubbish.

Maybe you've failed to check, but the overwhelming majority of Africans today actually worship your white imported gods, courtesy of foreign invasion and colonialism, as opposed to 'sacrificing to deities', so maybe you should check with Jesus, Mohammed and co for the source of their troubles. Leave the African deities out of it.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 02, 2013
There is no easy answer to the slums in lagos. They are like malignant cancer, best checked when they are manifesting.

They cannot be allowed to continue, but there is not enough resources to address the issue.

But leaving the slums in place is inviting the cancer to grow even bigger and more unmanageable

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 7:19pm On Mar 02, 2013
Eko Ile:
So what would you have done as a leader? Sit around and watch the same poor people live in slums, squalor, dangerous and unhealthy environment and on top of that turn your society into lawless and illegal settlements like some hopeless jungle?

I know we all want to make it in life, but if your dreams of making it in Lagos is not panning out, why not head back to your village r home town where you for sure have family house and decent roof over your head? It's not by force to live city life that you can not support or sustain in anyway. People have to start taking responsibility for their actions and quit hiding under this poor people nonsense. We all have responsibilities and you can not form an illegal settlement and think keep thing nothing is going to happen to you or the place you occupied illegally. The law will come knocking one day one day.

What he would have done?
1. Stop the expansion of these communities so no new settlements spring up. Let's face it, the reason people do whatever they feel like in Nigeria is because of the bigger endemic problem of lawlessness from both leadership and the citizenry. You dare not behave lawlessly by building "illegal structures" anywhere you like in other civilized places.
2. If it is true that they moved there after federal govt got them out of national theatre area, then identify those that moved there originally and settle them. If they were all settled originally, then give them at least 3 months notice to vacate. There is even the contention that it is federal govt that acquired the place for those guys. These guys have no village somewhere to relocate to. They are yorubas for goodness sake.
3. Give all other people same 3 months notice to vacate, and on the day you get there, kindly give them adequate warning and time to pack there belongings and leave, if they haven't done so already. Someone should not have to lose his admission letter and travel documents cos you want to develop lagos. You're ruining his life.

At any rate, a civil society group has picked up the case and I hope they get a settlement for them so they can rebuild their lives. Poor people also deserve a chance bro.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by EkoIle1: 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2013
Neo-XVI:

What he would have done

1. Stop the expansion of these communities so no new settlements spring up. Let's face it, the reason people do whatever they feel like in Nigeria is because of the bigger endemic problem of lawlessness from both leadership and the citizenry. You dare not behave lawlessly by building "illegal structures" anywhere you like in other civilized places.

The fact that it wasn't check before doesn't mean it has to continue or be tolerated. You can not show distaste for lawlessness, blame the government for lawlessness and at the same time blame the government again when they tackle lawlessness. You can not be on both sides of the fence.

2. If it is true that they moved there after federal govt got them out of national theatre area, then identify those that moved there originally and settle them. If they were all settled originally, then give them at least 3 months notice to vacate. There is even the contention that it is federal govt that acquired the place for those guys. These guys have no village somewhere to relocate to. They are yorubas for goodness sake.

What you see in lagos today is a reflection of a failed federal government and system that care less about the average Nigerian or or any desire to grant the state any special status or recognition for absorbing the failed system and burdened hence the ever present temptation to head to lagos for survival and unfortunately, heading to lagos only complicates their problems because Lagos is a very expensive place to exist in talk less for any man without money or roof to love under. It also overburdens and already overburdened and meager infrastructure that has little means and resources to take care of them.

3. Give all other people same 3 months notice to vacate, and on the day you get there, kindly give them adequate warning and time to pack there belongings and leave, if they haven't done so already. Someone should not have to lose his admission letter and travel documents cos you want to develop lagos. You're ruining his life.

I don't think it makes any difference..

At any rate, a civil society group has picked up the case and I hope they get a settlement for them so they can rebuild their lives. Poor people also deserve a chance bro.

They resettled the folks from makoko so I'm sure they'll offer them something. I deserve a chance too, but not illegally and without common sense.

As usual our incompetent federal government displaced a lot of people without any plan of provision of meaningful housing and infrastructure, they just dump them everywhere for other people to deal with the problem decades later...

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by TheBookWorm: 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2013
I understand that some people consider this progress, but remember we are still talking about our fellow human beings. Many of the people who have been pushed out of their homes are now homeless. What recourse do they get? Are they even compensated? Nigerians need to learn to show compassion to their fellow human beings. If you can't show compassion to your own people, how do you expect other countries to show compassion to Nigerians?

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 8:49pm On Mar 02, 2013
my only regrets so far frm d comments i've seen so far on this thread are frm those screaming 'go to your village'.these people u r asking to go to their villages are actually being chased out from their village but because we all already have that mentality that only aliens stay in slums in lagos, it dsnt matter hw they get treated. a responsible government does not jst go demolishing settlements without notification or even b4 relocating or compensating them.i for one dnt condone slums but for all it mataz those guys are humans & nt animals.

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 9:13pm On Mar 02, 2013
Eko Ile:

The fact that it wasn't check before doesn't mean it has to continue or be tolerated. You can not show distaste for lawlessness, blame the government for lawlessness and at the same time blame the government again when they tackle lawlessness. You can not be on both sides of the fence.

What you see in lagos today is a reflection of a failed federal government and system that care less about the average Nigerian or or any desire to grant the state any special status or recognition for absorbing the failed system and burdened hence the ever present temptation to head to lagos for survival and unfortunately, heading to lagos only complicates their problems because Lagos is a very expensive place to exist in talk less for any man without money or roof to love under. It also overburdens and already overburdened and meager infrastructure that has little means and resources to take care of them.

I don't think it makes any difference..

They resettled the folks from makoko so I'm sure they'll offer them something. I deserve a chance too, but not illegally and without common sense.
As usual our incompetent federal government displaced a lot of people without any plan of provision of meaningful housing and infrastructure, they just dump them everywhere for other people to deal with the problem decades later...

They should have "offered them something" BEFORE making them homeless, not after. What are they supposed to do in the meantime? All these is because they are missing the central point: these people are humans, not dogs.
And Fashola should work with the legislature to make it illegal for landlords to demand more than 1 month rent in advance, as is done all over the world. That will help reduce the homelessness. The whole paying for 2, 3 years ish is totally absurd and makes housing more difficult to afford. They don't pay workers 2, 3 years salaries in advance, why should landlords demand that? It makes no sense. It's just greed.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by mithel(m): 9:40pm On Mar 02, 2013
knowing nigerians, am sure they were served notices earlier,but they banked on the well known naija government's ways of not been quick in action,am sure one local government official or chair man must have been deceiving them,collecting bribe and promising that they would ensure paperwork to demolish such sites wont reach daylight,but unfortunately for them this was not the case!!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by mithel(m): 9:42pm On Mar 02, 2013
and lagos or nigeria sef is not a communist state,why them go dey compensate na,it would give ppl excuses to be starting slums everywhere knowing they would get compensations when the government wants to demolish them,we know the way we nigerians behave.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Nigerians React As Mace Is Stolen From Senate (Photos) / How Chibokgirl, Serah Luka, Was Rescued — Nigerian Army / Julius Berger Installs Live Camera On The 2nd Niger Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.