Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. (9474 Views)

2015 African Kids And Teens Fashion Week Holds In Ibadan / 6 Ways To Manage Oily Skin Crisis / Tips on how to Manage an Oily face- Result guaranteed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 11:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
So you've got a little bambino who has real natural african hair but its such a pain getting them to sit and have their hair done in the salon or where ever,because it hurts badly when combing through.

Follow this routine to a soft manageable hair.

(i often advice that one should never use any form of relaxers on a child's hair at least until she/he is older ,say 16- 18 years) even the so called texturizers , its just a sugar coated name , the damn thing still contains harsh chemicals that is bad for a tender scalp like that of a child.
If you are using relaxers for your kids hair , my advice is to STOP NOW!

1. to comb through hair braids/corn rows that has been loosened before washing , try spraying a DETANGLING CONDITIONER on the hair before combing through.
e.g Just for me detangling 2 in 1 conditioner. ( deep pink plastic bottle with purple cork)

2. wash the hair twice a week with children's conditioning shampoo e.g JUST for Me ,2 IN 1 CONDITIONING SHAMPOO ( lemon green plastic bottle with yellow cork)
in the case where you can not get a conditioning shampoo, find a shampoo for kids and a separate conditioner for kids.

3. apply leave in conditioners for kids by ORGANICS ,at least every other day on the childs hair and less on the scalp to avoid itching.

4 . when washing the hair make sure the temperature of the water is hot enough for the child to bear , ( not warm ,not cold , just slightly hot)

5. while washing the hair massage the scalp very gently ( this helps to stimulate the blood vessels in the scalp and promotes hair growth at the same time while relaxing the child. i can not recall how many times i've been to the salon and i watch all these saloon girls washing the child's hair like they are digging for gold, or trying to shake off stones from the hair. This causes pain and breakage.)

6. try as much as possible to dry the hair gently with a towel before using the blow dryer, excessive use of the blow dryer can damage the hair and tend to make the hair brittle.

7. repeat number one after washing and you are about to blow dry the hair.

8. when blow drying using a good wide tooth comb ( not the plastic coloured weave on brush), start from the top of the hair holding the roots with your hand and comb. Do this for the entire top of the hair before working your way down to the roots with the comb , this helps to release any tangled hair at the top and allows for easy combing/brushing from the roots all the way up.

9. if your child swims often , make sure you rinse the hair out with clean water to get rid of chlorine,dry with a towel or a T-shirt use the conditioner ( leave in ) as soon as the hair is dry.( the chlorine used in swimming pools affects the hair too)

10. always keep the child's hair moisturised by using hair conditioner for kids. try Organic root products for kids.

You can also mix water and glycerin in a spray bottle and spray on the child's hair 2 or 3 times daily

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by Caracta(f): 12:40am On Mar 06, 2013
Thank you
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 5:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Caracta: Thank you

You're welcome.
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 9:22pm On Jul 24, 2013
i was wondering if anyone has any more tips on how to manage kids hair.Feel free to post them here
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by kate85(f): 10:04am On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks for sharing. What do u think about using ore and coconut oil?
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 1:33pm On Jul 26, 2013
kate85: Thanks for sharing. What do u think about using ore and coconut oil?

By 'ore' ,i'm assuming you mean shea butter- its fine to use shea butter on the topends of the hair , this is because when applied directly to the scalp it can leave a residue on the scalp making it look like dandruff.

Coconut is perfect ,you can massage on scalp or on to damp hair or after applying moisturisers to the hair.

One more tip.
Spray the detangling moisturiser on to the corn-rows,braids or weaves on the child's hair before you lose the braids/corn-rows.
it helps to soften the hair and make it easier to comb afterwards.
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2013
There is no need for me to comment here.
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by kate85(f): 5:55pm On Jul 26, 2013
A million thanks dear.
uzoo:

By 'ore' ,i'm assuming you mean shea butter- its fine to use shea butter on the topends of the hair , this is because when applied directly to the scalp it can leave a residue on the scalp making it look like dandruff.

Coconut is perfect ,you can massage on scalp or on to damp hair or after applying moisturisers to the hair.

One more tip.
Spray the detangling moisturiser on to the corn-rows,braids or weaves on the child's hair before you lose the braids/corn-rows.
it helps to soften the hair and make it easier to comb afterwards.
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 7:11pm On Jul 26, 2013
kate85: A million thanks dear.

you're welcome
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 1:51pm On Sep 03, 2013
Also try to apply and massage the hair with oils on the scalp every other day to prevent dry itchy scalp.

For more tips please click here http://productsthatactuallydowork..com/2013/07/10-ways-to-manage-african-kids-hair.html

1 Like

Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by swtme(f): 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2013
@op ow can I make my daughter's retouched hair natural again?
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 9:02pm On Sep 03, 2013
$wtme:
@op ow can I make my daughter's retouched hair natural again?

What i am going to advice here may be quite hard for you to accept but trust me in a few months time you'll be glad you did this.

you need to chop it all out using a pair of scissors.Yes ,you might feel a bit emotional about doing this but if you can go through the hassle of maintaining two textures(relaxed and new growth) on the little ones hair then its fine.But if not then please cut it .

once you have cut it to the level where the natural hair ( new growth) is, then its much easier to start maintaining the hair from there.

once you start making her hair again , braids, corn rows, or even using wool thread then get a detangling spray. ( for a natural african kids hair you really have to use this spray 3 times daily.) This is what will help you manage the hair properly when ever you want to comb , or when ever you want to take out the braids or weave,(corn rows).
it softens the air ,also get a sulfate free shampoo and wash her hair once or twice a week,dont forget to use a conditioner after washing .leave it on the damp hair for say 20 to 30 m ins and rinse off.

The hair should never be left dry , so oil her scalp with natural oils in the mornings(coconut oil ,or olive oil, or castor oil), then use moisturising lotions for the rest of the hair , try to make her hair once a week.Dont use salon products , they are not kind to children's hair.

when making her hair in the salon(weaving,braids etc) ensure that they dont pull the edges around her face or neck or ears,its tender and breaks away when the hair is due for washing and it hurts too.

Tip.

If you really want her hair to grow quicker try making it using threads, the ones our grannies use in the villages .. (lol) i know its outdated and doesnt look as pretty as braids and the rest , but it stretches the hair , and makes it easy to take out and ready for washing without tangles. All you do is just pull the thread gently and it releases the hair like a rotating fan . You get the picture.That was my hair style up until i got into secondary school.(lol)

Good luck.
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by swtme(f): 9:29pm On Sep 03, 2013
uzoo:

What i am going to advice here may be quite hard for you to accept but trust me in a few months time you'll be glad you did this.

you need to chop it all out using a pair of scissors.Yes ,you might feel a bit emotional about doing this but if you can go through the hassle of maintaining two textures(relaxed and new growth) on the little ones hair then its fine.But if not then please cut it .

once you have cut it to the level where the natural hair ( new growth) is, then its much easier to start maintaining the hair from there.

once you start making her hair again , braids, corn rows, or even using wool thread then get a detangling spray. ( for a natural african kids hair you really have to use this spray 3 times daily.) This is what will help you manage the hair properly when ever you want to comb , or when ever you want to take out the braids or weave,(corn rows).
it softens the air ,also get a sulfate free shampoo and wash her hair once or twice a week,dont forget to use a conditioner after washing .leave it on the damp hair for say 20 to 30 m ins and rinse off.

The hair should never be left dry , so oil her scalp with natural oils in the mornings(coconut oil ,or olive oil, or castor oil), then use moisturising lotions for the rest of the hair , try to make her hair once a week.Dont use salon products , they are not kind to children's hair.

when making her hair in the salon(weaving,braids etc) ensure that they dont pull the edges around her face or neck or ears,its tender and breaks away when the hair is due for washing and it hurts too.

Tip.

If you really want her hair to grow quicker try making it using threads, the ones our grannies use in the villages .. (lol) i know its outdated and doesnt look as pretty as braids and the rest , but it stretches the hair , and makes it easy to take out and ready for washing without tangles. All you do is just pull the thread gently and it releases the hair like a rotating fan . You get the picture.That was my hair style up until i got into secondary school.(lol)

Good luck.

Tnx so much dearie 4 ur advice but I'll pass grin
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 9:56pm On Sep 03, 2013
ok dear, you're welcome smiley
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by maxiflexi(f): 6:10pm On Sep 04, 2013
Uzoo, my 8 month old has long hair on the top of her head but very little round the back & most of the front too. I've been told to chop it all off after her 1yr bday but I don't wanna!!! cry
What can I do to encourage her hair to grow? (I use a mixture of sheabutter & coconut oil on our hair)
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by uzoo: 9:43pm On Sep 04, 2013
maxiflexi: Uzoo, my 8 month old has long hair on the top of her head but very little round the back & most of the front too. I've been told to chop it all off after her 1yr bday but I don't wanna!!! cry
What can I do to encourage her hair to grow? (I use a mixture of sheabutter & coconut oil on our hair)

This happens a lot to growing babies, and three reasons for this could be because of the position they are frequently placed on the bed,buggy,car-seat,or the way the tender hair is being pulled when making the baby's hair and lastly when there is lack of sufficient nutrients.

Unfortunately ,that advice is the same i would give , because it will continue to grow that way (unequally)if it is left that way. There is no amount of treatment or hair care that will quicken the pace at which the shorter areas you mentioned grows to catch up with the rest of the longer hair.

What you could do is probably cut it a month or two after her first birthday to the same level as the rest so they are at the same length
Once you've done that ,then follow this tips to a healthy hair.

1. wash her hair with baby shampoo (Johnson's ,Aveeno, e.t.c which ever suits you)

2. moisturise the hair morning and night with baby oils,and massage the scalp every day with it.

3. DONT MAKE HER HAIR WITH EXTENSIONS(ATTACHMENTS) i say this because children at that age still have tender scalp/hair

and hair dressers are always pulling it to make it look smooth by the time they are done.
just be gentle to the hair when you start making it.

4. GIVE HER LOADS OF MILK ! ( S.M.A,COW & GATE e.t.c. whatever baby formula you are nursing her with) this will supply her with all the nutrients and proteins for hair growth.

Number 4 is really essential,and you will start to see an improvement in everything else, nails, skin ,stronger bones.

This is something I really wish that Nigerians will embrace - Having a culture of giving milk to their kids every day (especially fresh uht milk for ages 2 to 10).

you can take a look at this write up on importance of milk in growing kids. http://productsthatactuallydowork..com/p/health.html

I hope this helps . do let me know if you have any more questions.
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by meetmal03(f): 9:46pm On Oct 14, 2015
Re: Ways To Manage African Kids Hair. by meetmal03(f): 12:43pm On Jul 30, 2016

(1) (Reply)

African Styles You Cant Afford To Miss!!!(pic) / Worst And Best Dressed Celebs At The AMA 2012 / Red Carpet: 2012 Elite Model Look Nigeria Finale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.