Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? (1873 Views)

Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? / How Much To A Man Really Need To Settle Down. / Settle an Argument: "Should She Have to Do 'Man Chores'?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by JEMMYP(f): 9:16am On Mar 06, 2013
This really gets me wondering, my colleagues were arguing on the issue one day and the guys and amlost of them were on the opinion that when they are ready to settle down they will just select from their two or three girl friends, the one that they feels is well behaved that suits what they want in a woman and marry her. that love sets in afterwards. So i am asking, Do men really marry these day for love?
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Les: 9:43am On Mar 06, 2013
Am not sure i would ever marry for love, if at ol i would get married at ol........
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by JEMMYP(f): 9:53am On Mar 06, 2013
Les: Am not sure i would ever marry for love, if at ol i would get married at ol........
so are you of the opinion that men these days dont marry for love?
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Les: 10:23am On Mar 06, 2013
JEMMYP: so are you of the opinion that men these days dont marry for love?
i wont speak for everybody, but right from time, MANY men never marry for love. If so, a man wouldn't take a second wife for any reason even if d first wife is barren or didn't have a son after ol, some men who love their wife stay wit them despite no issue, A man will never beat d wife for any reason, a man will never divorce d wife if he truly loves her. Look at wat is happening to marriages this days and tell me if LOVE is anywhere close to it?? N.B. Some ppl dont even believe in love- be it man or woman but it's rampant in we guys

1 Like

Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by victorian(f): 10:36am On Mar 06, 2013
Les: i wont speak for everybody, but right from time, MANY men never marry for love. If so, a man wouldn't take a second wife for any reason even if d first wife is barren or didn't have a son after ol, some men who love their wife stay wit them despite no issue, A man will never beat d wife for any reason, a man will never divorce d wife if he truly loves her. Look at wat is happening to marriages this days and tell me if LOVE is anywhere close to it?? N.B. Some ppl dont even believe in love- be it man or woman but it's rampant in we guys

Why then, will divorce not become rampant... When most people marry for the WRONG reasons.. And most men, as times goes by, the wives realize there's no iota of love there .... ...just pretense and deceits... No wonder, trust no longer holds grounds in most marriages...the only binding issue between them is se3x and their kids...later when d se3x starts to wane, infidelity crops in, all man for himself sad.... What a horrible trend...
Keep it up!.... Smhhhh
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by JEMMYP(f): 10:59am On Mar 06, 2013
Les: i wont speak for everybody, but right from time, MANY men never marry for love. If so, a man wouldn't take a second wife for any reason even if d first wife is barren or didn't have a son after ol, some men who love their wife stay wit them despite no issue, A man will never beat d wife for any reason, a man will never divorce d wife if he truly loves her. Look at wat is happening to marriages this days and tell me if LOVE is anywhere close to it?? N.B. Some ppl dont even believe in love- be it man or woman but it's rampant in we guys
Love and fear of God are the only things that keep marriage intact whether good or bad. Having many wivies, money or even children does not make a happy home i believe they are secondary. if marry for love, u can be able endore or enjoy an any situation u find yyourself in a marriage wink
Love and fear of God are the only things that keep marriage intact whether good or bad. Having many wivies, money or even children does not make a happy home i believe they are secondary. if marry for love, u can be able to endure or enjoy any situation u find yourself in a marriage
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Les: 12:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
JEMMYP: wink Love and fear of God are the only things that keep marriage intact whether good or bad. Having many wivies, money or even children does not make a happy home i believe they are secondary. if marry for love, u can be able to endure or enjoy any situation u find yourself in a marriage
you still said the same thing i said.... If the love is there, d secondary stuff like kids and d rest shouldn't be a problem at ol but since love is not there, they make it to be a problem and hence.... In other words, they initially got married for dat secondary reason dat causes problem under d pretence of love... Too bad
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by LongOne1(m): 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
JEMMYP: This really gets me wondering, my colleagues were arguing on the issue one day and the guys and amlost of them were on the opinion that when they are ready to settle down they will just select from their two or three girl friends, the one that they feels is well behaved that suits what they want in a woman and marry her. that love sets in afterwards. So i am asking, Do men really marry these day for love?

Lol, love is a strong word. I think Men marry for different reasons i.e. procreation, societal concerns and to do ‘it’ legally as told in the good book.

I know I cannot get married to someone I do not have feelings for. If you call those 'feelings' love and it suits you, then fine by me, but personally, that word has long lost meaning to me.
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Les: 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
victorian:

Why then, will divorce not become rampant... When most people marry for the WRONG reasons.. And most men, as times goes by, the wives realize there's no iota of love there .... ...just pretense and deceits... No wonder, trust no longer holds grounds in most marriages...the only binding issue between them is se3x and their kids...later when d se3x starts to wane, infidelity crops in, all man for himself sad.... What a horrible trend...
Keep it up!.... Smhhhh
how many heads you get? Ha ha.... Well, you're right but i will say that not ol men are guilty sha... There are good men and women out there, i know somebody i attended d wedding since yr 2000, up till now, no issue, yet they both behave like kids in-love. So i'll say not ol are guilty sha but they are not easy to come by and alot others i know. As for me, i dont wanna try marriage at ol but i might cos of some reasons that are far from love...
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by tpia5: 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
I doubt it.
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Les: 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
Long One:

but personally, that word has long lost meaning to me.
it never made sense to me at first and i dont know why but I wish it could, make i follow feel dat tin we make Romeo and Julieth kill themselves na d same tin de make ppl de pour themselves acid nowadays... Who sabi wethn i go pour?? grin grin
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
I did some investigation some time ago.i picked 2o married men and asked them why they are married.some said because all my friends are married,others said because i have a job and i am relatively comfortable,another group said because i want kids preferably sons,others said because of companionship,some others too said i am not yet getting younger and my mother was disturbing and quarrelling with me that she wants to see her grand kids and if she dies before not being able to see her grand kids,she will not forgive me,majority said for sex,it was only a very tiny percentage that claimed they married for love.i did the same to women,8o percent said love,money,kids and age factor was the major reason,5 percent said for sex,15 percent said for companionship,the remaing 5 percent was for security
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 13, 2016
I did some investigation some time ago.i picked 2o married men and asked them why they are married.some said because all my friends are married,others said because i have a job and i am relatively comfortable,another group said because i want kids preferably sons,others said because of companionship,some others too said i am not yet getting younger and my mother was disturbing and quarrelling with me that she wants to see her grand kids and if she dies before not being able to see her grand kids,she will not forgive me,majority said for sex,it was only a very tiny percentage that claimed they married for love.i did the same to women,8o percent said love,money,kids and age factor was the major reason,5 percent said for sex,15 percent said for companionship,the remaing 5 percent was for security
where was this done?
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by HaneefahRN(f): 4:32pm On Feb 13, 2016
JEMMYP:
This really gets me wondering, my colleagues were arguing on the issue one day and the guys and amlost of them were on the opinion that when they are ready to settle down they will just select from their two or three girl friends, the one that they feels is well behaved that suits what they want in a woman and marry her. that love sets in afterwards. So i am asking, Do men really marry these day for love?

Lots of pple marry for d wrong reasons these days, that's why there are so many divorce cases and pathetic stories tht'll make one even scared of marrying
Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Flexherbal(m): 6:03pm On Feb 13, 2016
Some still do.

1 Like

Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 13, 2016
Old thread but interesting. It is just that the ladies took over although the question would have been best answered by men.

1 Like

Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:05am On Feb 14, 2016
JEMMYP:

i think you should address the question to women not men

why ? traditionally in all races women married men to two reason security for food, shelter status etc then so called love hence the 1st question most african women ask from a guy is can you look after me (aka food security, shelter &status in society)

2 Likes

Re: Do Man Really Marry For Love These Days? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Feb 14, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

i think you should address the question to women not men

why ? traditionally in all races women married men to two reason security for food, shelter status etc then so called love hence the 1st question most african women ask from a guy is can you look after me (aka food security, shelter &status in society)
Hmmmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims / Male Infertility, This Is What I Am Dealing With / Mbok! Tonto Dikeh-Obasanjo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.