Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature (19738 Views)

Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 4:45pm On Mar 06, 2013
please i will like to know normal oil temperature in a car engine, i also will like to know the side effect on the engine. i noticed that when my oil temperature is above 100°C's and water temperature above 100°C's, white smoke will be coming out from my exhaust. especially in holdup or can somebody explain to me the meaning of that white smoke. if the engine is cold you will not see any smoke. gurus in the house please explain
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
JUO: please i will like to know normal oil temperature in a car engine, i also will like to know the side effect on the engine. i noticed that when my oil temperature is above 100°C's and water temperature above 100°C's, white smoke will be coming out from my exhaust. especially in holdup or can somebody explain to me the meaning of that white smoke. if the engine is cold you will not see any smoke. gurus in the house please explain

at 100 your thermostat should be open letting in cold water from the radiator to cool down the engine and also your fan should kick in to cool down the water that has come from the engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlQ4ny51TW4

white smoke might be s sign of head gasket being gone
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 6:39pm On Mar 06, 2013
bros if i pack my car and the key dey my pocket the fan go still dey on for about 3 to 5 minutes
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Ikenna351(m): 9:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
JUO: bros if i pack my car and the key dey my pocket the fan go still dey on for about 3 to 5 minutes

It doesnt help us to help you if we dont know what car is it, the engine size or type. You may also need to give us a small history of the car: work done on the cooling system before now or before you noticed the white smoke issue. A little details from you could tell us what went wrong and the culprit.

By the way, I wouldnt drive that car again if i were you. You are simply killing the cylinder head gasket, more and more. If care is not taken, the damage would be severe, other than just the gasket, when it eventually fail in traffic jam and leave you stranded.

Ikenna.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 8:32am On Mar 07, 2013
the car is vw passat wagon gt 1992, not sure of the horse power, 160000 mileage, 1.8 the said car is 2months old. this car swallowed 10 liters in less than 60 miles in the city with the ac on, but in an open road without the ac i get close to 90 miles with the same 10 liters. why does this car swallow so much fuel when the ac is on?
WORK DONE- I ONLY CHANGED OIL AND SET ALIGNMENT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_%28B3%29
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Ikenna351(m): 3:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
Nigerian used or tokunbo?

Ikenna.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 4:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
NA COTONOU I FOR BUY AM O AND I PAID CUSTOMS DUTY FOR IT
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Ikenna351(m): 4:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
JUO: NA COTONOU I FOR BUY AM O AND I PAID CUSTOMS DUTY FOR IT

I asked to know the possibility of the thermostat been removed or not, because removing of thermostat is what i dont see a whiteman do.

Now, you need to check if the thermostat is still in the car and if its still working. In several threads, i have explained how to test if thermostat is still in the system and if it still works, without pulling it out of the engine. Its very simple and doesnt require any tool or being an expert to do it. Am too tired to go into that explanation now (work). Check some of the car overheating threads on 1st page of this section or check the Car Talk Library, you will find it.

Or will come back later in the evening to explain everything again.

You need to eliminate all the cooling system components, one by one, before looking towards the head gasket. Btw, you can also test the head gasket for failure while testing the thermostat and water pump.

Ikenna.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 5:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
@Ikenna my car no dey do overheat o. the temperature will only increase to 104 in holdup but go down after the holdup
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Ikenna351(m): 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
JUO: @Ikenna my car no dey do overheat o. the temperature will only increase to 104 in holdup but go down after the holdup

Hmm! What a joke!

Your car doesnt overheat, yet it emits white smoke at holdup, as temp increases? What do you think the white smoke means?

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 12:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
white smoke coming out from my exhaust solved after changing valve seal
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 1:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
JUST DID 180KM/P WITH IT THIS MORNING

Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 1:08pm On Jul 30, 2013
power and fuel efficiency has improved.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
previously i was getting

Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2013
now i get

Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 1:22pm On Jul 30, 2013
ikenna please change this topic to: white smoke coming out from exhaust resolved after changing valve seal
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by 9icetoo(m): 1:33pm On Jul 30, 2013
JUO: the car is vw passat wagon gt 1992, not sure of the horse power, 160000 mileage, 1.8 the said car is 2months old. this car swallowed 10 liters in less than 60 miles in the city with the ac on, but in an open road without the ac i get close to 90 miles with the same 10 liters. why does this car swallow so much fuel when the ac is on?
WORK DONE- I ONLY CHANGED OIL AND SET ALIGNMENT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_%28B3%29

60 miles on ten liters is even too good to be true. Are u sure its 60 kilos and not 60 miles. If it is 60 miles, then ur fuel economy in the city is the dream of many people here. 90 miles on ten liters is 144 kilometers on ten liters. I would be doing thanksgiving for that. smiley
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 1:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
60 miles on ten liters is even too good to be true. Are u sure its 60 kilos and not 60 miles. If it is 60 miles, then ur fuel economy in the city is the dream of many people here. 90 miles on ten liters is 144 kilometers on ten liters. I would be doing thanksgiving for that.
is not even upto 60 km
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Ikenna351(m): 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
JUO: ikenna please change this topic to: white smoke coming out from exhaust resolved after changing valve seal

You sounded so funny here.

What does white smoke got to do with excessive fueling? What does white smoke got to do with overheating? How could you replace valve seals without replacing the head gasket which was suggested earlier that could be faulty or causing the overheating or white smoke? Or you saying your cylinder head was removed and the old head gasket was re-used?

Are you sure you are not confusing blue colour with white colour? Unless you want to tell me faulty valve seals in VW will give white smoke symptom, which makes it an Alien technology?

Failed valve seals will cause rich running, but white smoke is not one of its symptoms. If the valve seals would either give blue smoke, as sign of oil burning. Or do you mean valve seats? Because thats the only thing i know that would cause rich running in fuel carburreted car, not valve seals.

JUO, the problem was not only valve seals or you didnt described the car problem well earlier. To the best of the little knowledge i have about cars, white smoke has nothing to do with valve seals.

Ikenna
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by kingschild123(m): 2:22pm On Jul 30, 2013
The acceptable range for an engine to run
at sits between 195 degrees and 220
degrees Fahrenheit. This assumes a
person is running a 50/50 mix of
antifreeze and water. At 225 degrees, the
mixture will boil but still function up to
265 degrees Fahrenheit if the system is
kept closed (that is, you don't remove the
radiator cap).
Consequences of Exceeding Ranges
When the car engine gets too hot, the
gasoline flowing inside will start to
detonate prematurely. This can cause
pinging and disturbances in the engine
combustion cycle. It can also cause
damage to the engine pistons by
excessive heat. And it can result in a
blown engine head gasket. If
temperatures are too cold, the car won't
start.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by kingschild123(m): 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2013
When white smoke is spewing from your
exhaust, it is usually an indication that
something is burning. The typical culprit is a
burning fluid from the vehicle, but other causes
are possible. A backyard mechanic can
diagnose the problem by observing and
smelling the smoke. Locating where it is
coming from and accessing how much is
billowing out can pin down the problem.

Prevention/Solution
Keep your fluids at the appropriate level
and change them at the recommended
intervals to reduce leaks and maintenance
issues. Use the proper types of fluids as
well. The wrong transmission fluid can
cause your gears to stick and wear down,
while the wrong oil can reduce
lubrication on the engine and cause
internal damage. Improper mixture or
wrong type of antifreeze can cause
overheating.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 3:06pm On Jul 30, 2013
your cylinder head was removed and the old head gasket was re-used?
YES, THAT WAS WHY I TOOK THE PICTURE BECAUSE I KNEW YOU WILL COME UP WITH THIS LOGIC. TAKE A LOOK AT THE HEAD GASKET AGAIN
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 3:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
IKENNA THE CAR NEVER OVERHEATED, I HAD NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT CARS, THIS IS MY FIRST CAR, WHEN I SAW THE TEMPERATURE GAGE AT 100c I WAS THINKING IT WAS OVERHEATING UNTIL I READ MY MANUAL AND I SAW IT IS NORMAL. ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL THE FAN WILL START TO COOL THE RADIATOR
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 3:32pm On Jul 30, 2013
if you be mechanic you go know blown head gasket and oil even the exhaust. take a good look at this pic

Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Ikenna351(m): 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
JUO: YES, THAT WAS WHY I TOOK THE PICTURE BECAUSE I KNEW YOU WILL COME UP WITH THIS LOGIC. TAKE A LOOK AT THE HEAD GASKET AGAIN

Honestly, this is not something you should be proud of. Re-using a head gasket? Seriously?

Which brings the next question. What kind of mechanic would agree to re-use a head gasket? Or are you saying you couldn't find a new one in the market and chose to use the old one?

Besides, I don't really know what you are getting at. "Ikenna no sabi anything; My mechanic sabi pass Ikenna or Ikenna was giving me wrong information?". If that is your point, let me know so that next time I see your post asking for help on your car issue, I would pass, since my opinion is not sought for.

Well, I still don't understand the image you posted with this valve seal thing. I didn't see any valve seal in the image, except you meant the oil on the head gasket. If the oil on the gasket is what you have been trying to prove, then what concerns oil with excessive fueling? What concerns oil with white smoke?

See, I don't have the strength to argue this anymore. Its your car, not mine.

Ikenna.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 31, 2013
JUO, I'd like to believe you're pulling Ikenna's leg. Please tell me you are, and you didn't re-use the old head gasket. The engine in the VW Passat GT, both 8 and 16V versions, the head bolts are stretch items, and can NOT be re-used either.

A cylinder head gasket is single use only - once it's been torqued down, it can't be re-used. Even if it was brand new, torqued down, then for some reason, the cylinder head had to come off 30 minutes later, it can't be re-used. There are special copper head gaskets for race applications that can be used up to 4 times, but the paper laminate one in the PB or KR engine isn't one of those.
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 8:53am On Jul 31, 2013
JUO, I'd like to believe you're pulling Ikenna's leg. Please tell me you are, and you didn't re-use the old head gasket. The engine in the VW Passat GT, both 8 and 16V versions, the head bolts are stretch items, and can NOT be re-used either.
Bros you be area father for this forum. i tried all i could for him to use new one but he refused. same thing is happening to my master/slave clutch cylinder. i tie for naija mechanic, them too like shortcut. Big bro try open one shop for naija all of us go patronise you
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 8:58am On Jul 31, 2013
A cylinder head gasket is single use only
i no know now
Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 31, 2013
JUO: Bros you be area father for this forum. i tried all i could for him to use new one but he refused. same thing is happening to my master/slave clutch cylinder. i tie for naija mechanic, them too like shortcut. Big bro try open one shop for naija all of us go patronise you

Bro, your mechanic may well refuse to use a new head gasket, but at the end of the day, it's your car, and your money. What you say goes, he may not be happy with your decision, but if you leave him with very little choice, he'll have no option but to concede.

Don't let your mechanic dictate to you, remember, you're the one paying him, so you're always in charge.

1 Like

Re: Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature by JUO(m): 11:19am On Jul 31, 2013
Bro, your mechanic may well refuse to use a new head gasket, but at the end of the day, it's your car, and your money. What you say goes, he may not be happy with your decision, but if you leave him with very little choice, he'll have no option but to concede.

Don't let your mechanic dictate to you, remember, you're the one paying him, so you're always in charge.
ok sir

(1) (Reply)

Photographs Of Cars Belonging To Celebrities / Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms / My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.