Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") (9293 Views)

Why Do Men Always Wake Up Like This In The Morning? / Why Are Nigerian Men Always Jealous Of Successful Nigerian Women? / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by uche777(f): 12:49pm On Aug 13, 2005
Why is it that men always like to be domineering?

Men in general always want to be the heard in all aspects, they'll want to dominate everybody especially the women

Though in African Cosmology, the man is the head of the family, but still the woman contributes, isn't it so? In most African settings, women are only seen but not heard.

I think is hightime you men started adjusting to the saying which goes "anything a man can do a woman can do better."
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by hotangel2(f): 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2005
Word!!! Men feel they should be the one to be heard in all cases and i feel that's extremely stupid. The woman is the one that should stay and watch them decide what happens while they talk. Rubbish i must say. But i also think, we women allow them to do these things to us, and that's why they keep doing it. Although this doesn't happen in most places in the world. The African setting/culture is always different.

Watch out men! Women can do better than you can. Mrs Ngozi-okonjo iwuela is an example .
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by drbigdaddyg(m): 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2005
Men are authorized as the Bible says.
If looked through biblical aspect, it was from a man's rib that a woman was made, so, woman can never be independent as they will keep depending on man to stand.
Trying to do otherwise, i.e. turning out becoming the head instead of man can lead to the consequences incurred by Lucifer on trying to overthrow God smiley

From another aspect, We men know what we pass through to approach a woman for marriage apart from some other rites we perform. If you gals can start doing those things; asking our (man's) hand in marriage, paying bride price, then, we can consider your reasonings.

Pls, I don't really understand what u mean by "domineering"'cos u are confusing me with "heading". This is 'cos I see differences b/w domineering and heading in that context. Domineering if really what u mean, in my own view, is not good if men do that. U women have freedom to speeches, rights, worship as LAW clears, so nobody has right to ride on your fundermental human right in the name of husband or whatever. But, in a truelove-relationship, "right" shouldn't be a even the least factor in it. >>>>>>>Bible says; be subject to your husband (Eph. 6).

Plssssssss, do not attempt becoming heads as such might bring chaos, conflict in your family.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Ka: 5:12pm On Aug 14, 2005
I think is hightime you men started adjusting to the saying which goes "anything a man can do a woman can do better."
Come off it. No matter what women achieve, they will never be able to do better than men at urinating accurately while standing up.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by c0dec(m): 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2005
it's a law of nature. man was created before woman. we have to show you girls around.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Pinky(f): 9:37pm On Aug 14, 2005
i don't like domineering men but i do love men who re    in control. do u girls want a man u can order around? he will simply annoy u by being a sissy! guys don't think am in full support of your ways grin
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by layi(m): 7:04pm On Aug 15, 2005
Go Pinky i like that..no taking sides.

Men should be on top of issues not neccessary domineering. The leader is there not because he's better but because there has to be order. Sum1 must lead. Reason why GOD instituted it that way. The men r stronger in all aspects, physically, emotionally etc. Women should be able to contribute and lead (but the husband's leadin anyway because she has 2 obey her husband when she gets home).
Ka:

Come off it. No matter what women achieve, they will never be able to do better than men at urinating accurately while standing up.
Can a man get preganant, not to talk of carrying it for nine months?
drbigdaddyg:

From another aspect, We men know what we pass through to approach a woman for marriage apart from some other rites we perform. If you gals can start doing those things; asking our (man's) hand in marriage, paying bride price, then, we can consider your reasonings.
U know the stress the women go through to look beautiful for u 2 care to woo them or the stress they go through taking care of your home (&kids). Why don't u reverse the headship then.
But sincerely if u allow ladies to toast. They'll do it better than most men. Believe me (talking from experience).

Anyway, 1 last word 2 d ladies. Instead of rambling about men not givin u a chance. Why don't u create the chance (afterall u r better..right?). If u can't get that chance unless men give it 2 u. It says it all. Men r superior.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by fabian(f): 8:45am On Aug 16, 2005
Hey Layi, Cut us some slack! I would like to know in what sense men are superior to women? In strength? In looks? In intelligence?
Men have been given the mantle of leadership in the family life and indeed in the society at large, and women are told to be submissive to their husbands. That is not to say that women should be subjugated, or that we play a less significant role in the society today.
Think where you'd be if there were no women
Dudes, women are equal to men! It does not necessarily mean that because a man is the leader of the Home/Church/Political party/ State/Country, he is superior to women. Mind you, leaders are servants inadvertently.
Quoting Ka, "No matter what women achieve, they will never be able to do better than men at urinating accurately while standing up".
Haha. In the same vein, no matter what men achieve, they will never be able to do better than women at urinating accurately while sitting down!
This sounds downright funny doesn't it? Since when has standing up and pissing been the standard for gender (in)equality? Men can stand up and crap for all we care but they are not superior to women!
I don't belong to the school of thought which goes, anything a man can do.................
cos i know that there are somethings a woman can do better than men and vice versa.
Mind you, the operative word here is "a"
Some men can do some stuff better than some women, and vice versa, doesn't mean that every man is superior to every woman. Ya dig?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Ka: 2:26pm On Aug 16, 2005
Since when has standing up and pissing been the standard for gender (in)equality?

Which is exactly why I used that example to show you how trivial I think the argument is. There are biological differences between man and woman which mean that they are good at different things. So there's no point in trying to stir things up with trite unfounded statements like "what a man can do, a woman can do better".

In fact, whenever I hear a woman say that, it makes me think that there are serious inferiority complex issues at play here. Why should a woman feel the need to compare herself with a man? How many times do you hear a man saying "What a woman can do, a man can do better?"
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2005
In fact, whenever I hear a woman say that, it makes me think that there are serious inferiority complex issues at play here.
It is natural for a group of people who are treated as inferiors to develop inferiority complex.  Now that we have identified this inferiority complex in women in general, how do we fix it?

The answer is that only women can fix it. It is natural for members a group that is seen as being superior to do all they can to hold on to their "superior" status, so men as a group are not just going to wake up one day and start respecting women more.  If women feel they are not being respected enough, it is their responsibility to fight for their fair rights.  If our women are not ready to fight the fight, then they are not yet ready for equality; so for now they should go back to the kitchen where they belong!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by layi(m): 3:24pm On Aug 16, 2005
Seems Fabian didnt read my post thoroughly. I didnt take any side. I only said what seun buttressed above. Fight for your rights ladies. Stop complaining. If u can't then men r superior. Simple.
Its like a case of 2 men A&B fighting. A lifted B up and all B could say is "Put me down. i don't like up fight". U don't makes d rules as a player. U met the rules and agree to play. Life aint fair.
Ladies, fight for the position u so desperately crave for. We don't have to give u. Ur victory shows u r worth it. I support women taking up leaders positions but i hate all these women empowerment cry. It'll get u (ladies) nowhere.
Its survival of the fittest. Go ladies. Take the bull by the horn.

Lets I forget Fabian. Some men (hausas/al majris) are better than ladies at "pissing" in a sittin / squatin position. So take that back.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by legs(f): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2005
Just a little question?

I believe in some parts of Igboland women are not allowed to participate in decision making. Not just in the household but where family decisions on matters such as burial ceremony arrangements, bridal dowry discussion, etc are being taken; such that a little boy may have a greater say than an older man just cos he is a boy.

In these times why should such decisions be restricted to men alone? Shouldn't women be allowed to indulge in the same decision making process; even in the presence of these men?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by uche777(f): 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2005
LEGS!!!!

thank you very much!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by fabian(f): 9:22am On Aug 17, 2005
Back to the topic
layi:

Seems Fabian didnt read my post thoroughly. I didnt take any side. I only said what seun buttressed above. Fight for your rights ladies. Stop complaining. If u can't then men r superior. Simple...........................................................
Its survival of the fittest. Go ladies. Take the bull by the horn.
layi link=topic=1219.msg27243#msg27243 date=1124129064:

Anyway, 1 last word 2 d ladies. Instead of rambling about men not givin u a chance. Why don't u create the chance (afterall u r better..right?). If u can't get that chance unless men give it 2 u. It says it all. Men r superior.
Lets I forget Fabian. Some men (hausas/al majris) are better than ladies at "pissing" in a sittin / squatin position. So take that back.
Tell me, did you carry out a survey of the hausa men/majiris who piss in a squatting position and find out they are better at it than women who have been doing it from time immemorial?
I read your post thoroughly and you only butressed the point as shown above!

Why do ladies have to fight for rights we already have? I don't, have never, and will never belong to the category of people who believe in the daft school of thought which say's that Men are superior to women. I am a woman, who knows that women are complimentary to men and vice versa. We are each other's equals and the fact that one is named the head over the other doesn't hake him/her superior to the other.
As for the resy of Layi's post, really you'll have to clarify what you stated, I really didn't understand what you meant by ladies crying for empowerment and victory, and the story about A & B.
For the input bu Legs viz a vis the Igbo women and their inability to speak/ participate in any decision making in her home, guys what do you have to say for your selves? It only goes to show your major insecurities to the point where you are afraid of what women would do if they were given some leverage to speak in their homes.
Enough already!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by layi(m): 11:31am On Aug 17, 2005
@Fabian,
This is exactly what i mean. I'm not scared of a debate but i wont allow u box me up in a conner because i never said men are better than women. God never said 1 is better. He only made 1 to lead the other.

Why do ladies have to fight for rights we already have? .  Then why the arguments? Act your rights and let ther be peace. methinks ther's a diff between enacting and enforcing rights. U've got to fight for your right in this world. It wont come on a platter of gold.

I'm the wrongest person to pick on anyway because i don't discriminate sexually. Seems u just need to pick on a guy. Its ok girl. Just read my posts again..or maybe, in btw the lines this time around.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by IAH(f): 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2005
The caption on the homepage attracted me to this topic. Who told you that ladies can't urinate accurately while standing?? Me, I can urinate accurately while standing o. As for the main topic, God has not created that man that can domineer over me. He simply doesn't exist. If he is as strong as a lion or as fierce as a tiger, I will tame him. tongue
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Adetola(m): 12:41pm On Aug 25, 2005
(1)Why do ladies have to fight for rights we already have? I don't, have never, and will never belong to the category of people who believe in the daft school of thought which say's that Men are superior to women. I am a woman, who knows that women are complimentary to men and vice versa. We are each other's equals and the fact that one is named the head over the other doesn't hake him/her superior to the other.

(2) For the input bu Legs viz a vis the Igbo women and their inability to speak/ participate in any decision making in her home, guys what do you have to say for your selves? It only goes to show your major insecurities to the point where you are afraid of what women would do if they were given some leverage to speak in their homes.
Enough already!

Fabian, starting 4rm ur last question/remark, (2)do women have rights or priviledges? Yes they do have rights, their privildges are more emphatic than rights. Women r not allowed in some cases 'cos its their belief (igbos) that there's nothing they can suggest that'll solve the problem at hand, any attempt by the women to counteract to this universal tradition had always resulted in chaos.

The fight for superiority, as i c it is useless, just as u said, women are complimentary to men but not vice versa. In English, some words are strong when they stand alone, but the moment u add a prefix or suffix to it then it becomes weaker. Man, prefixed with WO, the result... (Wo)Man, has chaned the meaning, significance and strength in d the abstract and physical sense. Women cannot be compared to men, they can't be equal, God didn't make them eqaul. Questioning the crystal clear inequality of women to men is as good as questioning God 'why'? The answer is women are assistants to men, it is conventional and there is nothing anybody can do to that. You acn't change God's will.

Of course men do not have to show that they are superrior to women, it is wrong to make a woman feel inferior. What's the point? It won't change God's will. Needless to argue that everybody, male or female has a purpose of creation, but do not forget that the overarching objective for creating women is for them to ASSIST men, and not to compete with them. They are not better halfs, they are helpers, assistants to women.

I personally do not support gender discrimination, I believe women are good in their reasn for creatn.But once any woman starts to question superiority or equality, she wan hear tori.

The caption on the homepage attracted me to this topic. Who told you that ladies can't urinate accurately while standing?? Me, I can urinate accurately while standing o. As for the main topic, God has not created that man that can domineer over me. He simply doesn't exist. If he is as strong as a lion or as fierce as a tiger, I will tame him

As far as i am concerned, wo-men came after men, as helpers. Women just want to feel they are equal which is not realistic or true!
any attempt by a women to accurately piss while standing will result in wetting her panties!
Yes, its your duty to help him cool his nerves, not 'tame' him.
delete 'domineering' and 'tame' from your dictionary.

There's one movie i'd like y'all to watch, THE BROTHERS. May be you might understand what i've been saying. I can email this movie to you upon request. send your request to [glow=red,2,300]rubylilywaters@yahoo.com[/glow][color=#006600][/color]

Sorry, no fallacy of personal attack in my post, i do not mean to attack anybody. I respect y'all ladies in the house.
I rest my case.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Adetola(m): 12:47pm On Aug 25, 2005
They are not better halfs, they are helpers, assistants to women.

ooooops, they are assistants to MEN not women
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by IAH(f): 5:24pm On Aug 25, 2005
Adetola, if he is domineering then he needs taming. No be so? If he is not tamed, it might lead to wife beating in the home.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by fabian(f): 10:22am On Aug 29, 2005
Adetola:

The fight for superiority, as i c it is useless, just as u said, women are complimentary to men but not vice versa. In English, some words are strong when they stand alone, but the moment u add a prefix or suffix to it then it becomes weaker. Man, prefixed with WO, the result... (Wo)Man, has chaned the meaning, significance and strength in d the abstract and physical sense. Women cannot be compared to men, they can't be equal, God didn't make them eqaul. Questioning the crystal clear inequality of women to men is as good as questioning God 'why'? The answer is women are assistants to men, it is conventional and there is nothing anybody can do to that. You acn't change God's will.

Heaven help us! *makes sign of the cross* Adetola,
I never said
Adetola:

just as u said, women are complimentary to men but not vice versa.
Rather, I said
fabian:

I don't, have never, and will never belong to the category of people who believe in the daft school of thought which say's that Men are superior to women. I am a woman, who knows that women are complimentary to men and vice versa. We are each other's equals and the fact that one is named the head over the other doesn't hake him/her superior to the other.
It's wah for you men oh!
Anyway, as per
Adetola:

In English, some words are strong when they stand alone, but the moment u add a prefix or suffix to it then it becomes weaker. Man, prefixed with WO, the result... (Wo)Man, has chaned the meaning, significance and strength in d the abstract and physical sense.
Permit me to say that is just plain gibberish and i might add a big joke. Who ever heard anything so downright funny? I'm rolling in laughter just reading that but heck, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
For me sha, I compliment my husband in my home. He is no doubt, the HEAD of our home, but I'm in no way his subject.
@Layi
layi:

@Fabian,
This is exactly what i mean. I'm not scared of a debate but i wont allow u box me up in a conner because i never said men are better than women.

U've got to fight for your right in this world. It wont come on a platter of gold.

I'm the wrongest person to pick on anyway because i don't discriminate sexually. Seems u just need to pick on a guy. Its ok girl. Just read my posts again..or maybe, in between the lines this time around.
I am not trying to box you into a corner, neither am I trying to pick on you. i was only responding to your comment. I will not fight for any rights, because I already have em. I only air my views here. I nor fit shout oh!
Peace y'all.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by drbigdaddyg(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2005
@ IAH, who doesn't exist?
Let me know pls.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 4:49pm On Nov 19, 2005
SO Fabian is also anti-feminist!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 20, 2005
Adetola spare me the crap Man & WoMan....

in italian woman is donna from latin domina; the Madam; the one who rules. Your english thing has no head. it might work in this langauge but not certainly in other 150 000 languages.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 20, 2005
what i can say people is: look at the world today. which sex needs the other most? MALE. science is even making it that women can artificially get pregnant. honestly i don't see the use of man in this world if not just for "that".

and i can also add that men are using the Bible as a point of referriment to hold down women who believe in it and follow it's rules without objections but let me tell you that in this world there are women like me who don't believe in it so be prepared. i base here in italy and i have the law by my side so if any man should dare mess uo with me (violence or other stuf) i will show him wein.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 6:57pm On Nov 30, 2005
Check out this report:
Study Finds Sexism Rampant In Nature
SAN DIEGO—According to a University of California–San Diego study released Monday, sexism is rampant throughout the natural world, particularly among the highest classes of vertebrates.
Full Story: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27908

So even in nature, sexism is rampant.  Doesn't this mean that it is natural for men to be placed on top of women? cheesy
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 30, 2005
Women can be compared to Africa! Africa (women) has been used by the western countries (men) to arrive to success. but these people (men) know that one day Africa (women) will finally wake up from it's sleep and then no one will be able to stop it (woman).
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 8:35pm On Nov 30, 2005
What a source, Seun, the Onion. The foremost [b]saterical [/b]website in the US. How much more serious can you get grin

Anyway, natural does not equal good, acceptable or desirable.
Infanticide is natural (lions), suidice is natural (lemmings), female dominated primate groups are natural (bonobo's), sex for favors is natural (bonobo's), malaria is natural, the plague is natural, Aids is natural and so is cholera, ....
What a bunch of self serving h*rs*sh*t
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 9:12pm On Nov 30, 2005
you can't rely on news from "theonion.com". as nferyn said, it's a satirical site.
usually they make fun of stuff and exaggerate a lot. . .

i don't think it's natural for men to be placed over women. It's a norm that have being in existence for centuries.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 12:20am On Dec 01, 2005
"The sexist attitude that child-rearing is 'women's work' is prevalent throughout nature and has been for generations, probably since reptiles first developed mammalian characteristics in the Triassic period," Tannen said. "Sadly, most creatures never pause to challenge these woefully outdated gender roles.""We need to provide tigresses, hens, and all other females in nature with outreach programs and support networks," Secunda said.”We also need to impose standards through intervention. The males of all species need to hear loud and clear the message that this kind of animal behavior is not acceptable."
i got those quote directly from da site word 4 word. i don know how reliable d site is but they do recognise that da way da femal animals r been treated iz not fair and has to stop!!!
@we r animals in a sense but we r higher animals. we got brains to think so u can't compare our behaviour to that of common animals. if any guy behaves like that then he's no better dan da lil animals like cats and dogs walking around!!

To answer your question about men been on top i'm not really sure what u mean but i'm gon assume u mean during sex!! dats so far from da truth yea men do stay on top but it's more fun with da girl on top and where have u been if u don't know diz stuff?!!! wink ther r lots of position nowadayz and some require da girl to be on topn while otherz require da guy to be on top too so it depends on which one you're trying out!!!!Missionary style is so old skool!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by snazzydawn(f): 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2005
(passes by)
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by obum(f): 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2005
I REALLY JUST WONDER FOR DEM OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 8:12pm On Dec 09, 2005
Why don't the ladies have any opinion whatsoever about this topic? It's frustrating! I've done everything I know to try to provoke them into joining the discussion and they are just not interested. Women, fight for your inalienable rights, come on!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Love Ramsey Noah Junior,for The Past 5 Years Now What Can I Do To Let Him Know / Tell Us About Your Scariest Experience / From This List, What's The One Chore You Absolutely Hate To Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.