Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,870 members, 7,806,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

What Are Your Opinions On This?? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are Your Opinions On This?? (1657 Views)

Opinions Needed / Programmers In The House,need Your Opinions Plz! / YOUR OPINIONS ARE NEEDED: What Is The Future Of Nigerian Software Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
zebudaya: [size=20pt]PHP, Python or Ruby[/size]

For front end you'll need some knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Jquery to start.

If you want to analyze data, Learn SAS or R, you will never go hungry.

You can host your web apps on Googleappengine for nothing

other resources,
check out codeacademy.com
coursera.com
youtube
github.com
stackoverflow.com

For CMS, check out Wordpress, Kirby, Stacey,
If you devote one year to learning how to code, you will make progress. Ignore the folks telling you to learn BASIC, C++ or JAVA, They are behind the times. Web apps, and Mobile apps are the future.

There is a lot of free stuff online, use google and be resourceful. If you have any questions send me an email, I can show you the right direction
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
zebudaya: PHP, Python or Ruby

For front end you'll need some knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Jquery to start.

If you want to analyze data, Learn SAS or R, you will never go hungry.

You can host your web apps on Googleappengine for nothing

other resources,
check out codeacademy.com
coursera.com
youtube
github.com
stackoverflow.com

For CMS, check out Wordpress, Kirby, Stacey,
If you devote one year to learning how to code, you will make progress. Ignore the folks telling you to learn BASIC, C++ or JAVA, They are behind the times. Web apps, and Mobile apps are the future.

There is a lot of free stuff online, use google and be resourceful. If you have any questions send me an email, I can show you the right direction
lordZOUGA:
fool. you have no right to be this s_tupid

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:17pm On Mar 09, 2013
ciphoenix: the nerve undecided undecided
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:18pm On Mar 09, 2013
zebudaya:
fool. you have no right to be this s_tupid
Rather than insult me, tell me what I said wrong? U no fit grin

the nerve
You too
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
ciphoenix: behind the times you say
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
zebudaya: I apologize if I came off as rude, but I de lie? You wake up, get to your computer or phone and launch a browser. How many *modern* PC apps do you launch a day? Not trying to be rude, but I don't think you should tell a beginner to learn stuff for the desktop when the money is in web and mobile apps!, they need to learn server language and how to manipulate databases.

The only modern program written in C++ that I use consistently is Spotify, check out this article http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/spotify-confirms-web-app-in-the-works-currently-in-closed-beta/ others are Adobe, and Microsoft, those are legacy companies.

I want the young hustlers to run to where the ball is going to be, not where it was.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
lordZOUGA: I think the industry is moving towards a point where desktop apps and mobile apps are going to be one. that is the future.

do you know the average paycheck of a C/C++ developer?
which awesome mobile app was written in python and php?
do you know that part of the dev language for blackberry 10 is C/C++? and that of android is java?

@zebudaya, you do not seem to be a developer because if you are, you would not have made this statement "they
need to learn server language"
what the heck is a "server language"?

people like you are threats to Nigerian IT space. go and get experience before making this kind of post on an online forum.

be advised.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:22pm On Mar 09, 2013
WhiZTiM: haha.... ..lol. @Zouga, zebudaya, javanian and ciphoenix...
I think Zebudaya is a quick-cash and a myopic *programmer or web guy. . .

@zouga, you seem to have a bit of Linus Torvald's attitude... ..ohh.

. . .anyway... Nobody should be disturbed... Wanting to make quick cash from programming is totally a bad idea. Also...

Whatever language you choose, you can use it to make solid impacts in its relevant domain... and in today's world...
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Javanian: 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
ZEBUDAYA
lordZOUGA: I think the industry is moving towards a point where desktop apps and mobile apps are going to be one. that is the future.

do you know the average paycheck of a C/C++ developer?
which awesome mobile app was written in python and php?
do you know that part of the dev language for blackberry 10 is C/C++? and that of android is java?

@zebudaya, you do not seem to be a developer because if you are, you would not have made this statement "they
need to learn server language"
what the heck is a "server language"?

people like you are threats to Nigerian IT space. go and get experience before making this kind of post on an online forum.

be advised.

When I say server language, I mean server-side scripting language.

PHP (Like Facebook.com)
Python (like Nairaland.com)
Ruby (like shopify.com) framework (basecamp)

You know what I mean, you just want to pick. You can insult me all you want, and state that I am not a programmer, that's cool. Steve Jobs was not, Jeff Bezos from Amazon is not.

You said Blackberry 10 is written in C++. That's true, does one need to know C++ to write an app for Blackberry,Android, or IOS?

Desktop software is dying. They are going to be one with the mobile and web apps, Learn fast or be a dinosaur.

lordZOUGA: people like you are threats to Nigerian IT space. go and get experience before making this kind of post on an online forum.

be advised.

I'm a threat to the establishment who refuse to go with the times and insist on doing the same thing over and over again. Nigeria's IT space is weak, yet we are highly educated.

WhiZTiM: haha.... ..lol. @Zouga, zebudaya, javanian and ciphoenix...
I think Zebudaya is a quick-cash and a myopic *programmer or web guy. . .

@zouga, ... Wanting to make quick cash from programming is totally a bad idea. Also...

Whatever language you choose, you can use it to make solid impacts in its relevant domain... and in today's world...

Why study C++ and be chained to a salary your whole life? Learn something else and make entrepreneur money. The time for being a starving artist/broke programmmer is over. C++ is powerful, but it has weaknesses. That you don't really use it in writing web and mobile apps is a major flaw.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/417816/how-popular-is-c-for-making-websites-web-applications

Regardless programmers please post a link to your work, The time for making noise on Nairaland is over.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
@zebudaya, for some reason you refuse to accept that C++ can also be used for web and mobile app development. this site was created with C++ http://webtoolkit.eu

that facebook was written in php only means that it was written in php. it could have been written in python or ruby or even C++.

it all boils down to how efficient you are in solving a given problem. programmers with money on their mind tend to be a very sloppy and impatient lot.

why not just tell programmers to quit programming and go into computer village and start selling hardwares.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by WhiZTiM(m): 10:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
. . .finally... A boxing ring to continue.... #damn. I am not even good at arguments...

WARNING: LONG post...

... Let me steal some concept from Intel's founder, Moore.
40 years ago, ... Computers were only available to a few rich people, research institutions, etc... If anyone or group needed some computing work, they lease it frm big people. Today, its different... But do you know, we still go to lease computers Ever heard of Computer Generated Imagery?? Some images requires quadrillion operations for just a frame!!!

For now, theres no way rendering across a thousand smartphones of 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM will beat a few Intel Xeon, i7, or Nvidia CUDA based processer farms or grids.

Agreed?? . .
Today, A startup can just assemble a few hardware for its processing farm...

Now... In the next 30 years... We should be able to do the designs on mobile... But by then, a single desktop will be okkay to render today's state of the art graphics. ....The problem is, don't you think today's state of the arts graphics is tomorrows state of the gutters graphics

My point is....

*Desktop Apps were yesterday's CONSUMER inclined revolution...

*Server Apps are today's ENTERPRISE and PRODUCTION inclined revolution

*Web Apps are today's CONSUMER inclined revolution. . . (I can infer that it will fetch money quickly for people into it in the next few years...)

*Desktop Apps will be tomorrows PRODUCTION AND ENTERPRISE revolution. . .

. . . And by the way, most 'backends' of Web Apps are written in General Purpose Languages... Like the C/C++, Java, Erlang, Python... etc...
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by spikesC(m): 11:12pm On Mar 09, 2013
pls, don't tell me this is over undecided
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Creatrixity(m): 1:26am On Mar 10, 2013
My opinion..I disagree with zebudaya's concept of compiled languages usage dying out.For example,C++ is good for writing general purpose apps across a wide range of devices.
The problems with working with c++ for beginners is,you do not get many jobs on a regular basis and you are chained to a salary but when that paycheck comes,it's gonna be big..There is definitely no end in sight for desktop app development.
In summary,as a beginner,you may stick with your web app development but always try to diversify..
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by kambo(m): 1:28am On Mar 10, 2013
anoda daft post by somebody who wants to say c,c++ is dead.
all the software you mention run on other software ,
php runs on an interpreter,
ruby the same , python same.
what are the interpreters written in? - c,c++ ,assembly.
the web browser you talk of are continually upgrading - they're not written in
slower languages like python ruby etc.
the javascript engine in the web browsers cant be written in anything lesser than
c,c++ assembly!
- what would happen when mozilla, etc require engineers to update /rewrite their
internal engines!! (hire php kids !)
as more entrants begin at the top of the stack, no thanks to the kind of plentiful
advice from "experts" that the middle tier language is not the issue ,
they'll be less available experts in these "dead" languages!!
result. when the middle tier software needs "upgrading" top bucks will have to be paid
to attract those rare/obsolete /middle aged talents.
- its already happening.

go the way of the enterprenuer!?
anoda joke . are u a software enterprenuer!? -
or you just quipping.
being a worker is no foolishness,they're folks making good money being employees.
be realistic. 90% of the labour force in the working world are employees!!.
think on that.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by zebudaya(m): 3:11am On Mar 10, 2013
Creatrixity: My opinion..I disagree with zebudaya's concept of compiled languages usage dying out.For example,C++ is good for writing general purpose apps across a wide range of devices.
The problems with working with c++ for beginners is,you do not get many jobs on a regular basis and you are chained to a salary but when that paycheck comes,it's gonna be big..There is definitely no end in sight for desktop app development.
In summary,as a beginner,you may stick with your web app development but always try to diversify

God Bless you Bro, that's all I'm saying. This is an incomplete list of kids who graduated from Y combinator http://yclist.com/ Most of them created web apps. A Nigerian kid who spends time learning C++ is not going to find work with Mozilla, Apple or the government. They are better off learning script languages and some HTML, CSS, Jquery, Javascript, Photoshop and Illustrator, and how to write apps for Android, Blackberry, IOS & Windows Phone When they get done with these, they can learn C++ if they need to. That's the easier route.

These folks are encouraging new programmers to learn C++, so they can build desktop apps, where in Naija? Naija that dudes who make 19,000 Naira a month own Blackberries and are eager to download apps?

lordZOUGA: @zebudaya, for some reason you refuse to accept that C++ can also be used for web and mobile app development. this site was created with C++ http://webtoolkit.eu

that facebook was written in php only means that it was written in php. it could have been written in python or ruby or even C++.

it all boils down to how efficient you are in solving a given problem. programmers with money on their mind tend to be a very sloppy and impatient lot.

why not just tell programmers to quit programming and go into computer village and start selling hardwares.

http://webtoolkit.eu is nice, but not very elegant, I just had an idea and made this, this afternoon. http://mybeautifulnaija.tumblr.com/ Not from scratch of course, but If I invest a few hours, I can customize the front end to my liking especially with CSS and Jquery. It's going to be as functional as the webtoolkit.eu site, but look better. As long as its functional. Everything is Judged by how it looks. C++ does not have enough libraries & support for building websites, and you know that.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by lordZOUGA(m): 4:14am On Mar 10, 2013
zebudaya:
http://webtoolkit.eu is nice, but not very elegant, I just had an idea and made this, this afternoon. http://mybeautifulnaija.tumblr.com/ Not from scratch of course, but If I invest a few hours, I can customize the front end to my liking especially with CSS and Jquery. It's going to be as functional as the webtoolkit.eu site, but look better. As long as its functional. Everything is Judged by how it looks. C++ does not have enough libraries & support for building websites, and you know that.
you are in no position to be making these assumptions. of course they can be customized with CSS. the library was built around jquery and other javascript libraries so AJAX is enabled by default. the page components are instantiated as widgets which means I don't have to worry about writing html and it is event driven allowing servers to initiate changes. it handles fallbacks , the library knows when a client does not support javascript and renders the page accordingly.

like you said, it is the modern world now. C++ is modern too. heck C++ 11 supports lamba functions and Boost libraries are awesome too. you can even serialize data structures over a socket and get the same data structure on the other end with boost.Serialization libraries.

like I said before, you are in no position to argue about this. you have no right to call any language ancient
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by zebudaya(m): 5:22am On Mar 10, 2013
Of course I noticed they had some HTML, CSS, and Javascript in there. All I had to to was right click and view Source grin. You just reinforced my point. I can build a website that looks better and functions as well as what they have with the tools I currently have. So why would I want to use C++ to design websites?

There's no need to argue, Keeping working for the Desktop, I'll Keep working for the Web & Mobile apps.

kambo: anoda daft post by somebody who wants to say c,c++ is dead.
....'
what would happen when mozilla, etc require engineers to update /rewrite their
internal engines!! (hire php kids !)as more entrants begin at the top of the stack, no thanks to the kind of plentiful
advice from "experts" that the[b] middle tier language is not the issue , they'll be less available experts in these "dead" languages!!
result. when the middle tier software needs "upgrading" top bucks will have to be paid to attract those rare/obsolete /middle aged talents.
- its already happening.[/b]

I don't want to make money when I am rare/obsolete/middle aged. I want it now that my johnny is still working grin grin grin

kambo: go the way of the enterprenuer!? anoda joke . are u a software enterprenuer!? -or you just quipping.
being a worker is no foolishness,they're folks making good money being employees. be realistic. 90% of the labour force in the working world are employees!!.
think on that.

Why is being an entrepreneur a joke? Being realistic is going to chain you to a desk job for 30 years like the 90%, and then if you are lucky, you get a wristwatch and sincere thanks. All because you were realistic. shocked
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Creatrixity(m): 7:15am On Mar 10, 2013
zebudaya:

God Bless you Bro, that's all I'm saying. This is an incomplete list of kids who graduated from Y combinator http://yclist.com/ Most of them created web apps. A Nigerian kid who spends time learning C is not going to find work with Mozilla, Apple or the government. They are better off learning script languages and some HTML, CSS, Jquery, Javascript, Photoshop and Illustrator, and how to write apps for Android, Blackberry, IOS & Windows Phone When they get done with these, they can learn C if they need to. That's the easier route.

These folks are encouraging new programmers to learn C , so they can build desktop apps, where in Naija? Naija that dudes who make 19,000 Naira a month own Blackberries and are eager to download apps?

http://webtoolkit.eu is nice, but not very elegant, I just had an idea and made this, this afternoon. http://mybeautifulnaija.tumblr.com/ Not from scratch of course, but If I invest a few hours, I can customize the front end to my liking especially with CSS and Jquery. It's going to be as functional as the webtoolkit.eu site, but look better. As long as its functional. Everything is Judged by how it looks. C does not have enough libraries & support for building websites, and you know that.
Yeah..I realised that to make very relevant and multi-purpose desktop apps with c,c or even python takes time,energy and a very good team of programmers(you can't code it all duh..) if you intend on making a very unique and sought-after app that is not already in existence...
Web apps are in comparison easier to create,do not need to be über unique("e.g for desktop apps,why pay some one to write a calculating software that calculates your net profit,expenses,gross profit,uploads it to a database etc,when all you need to do is download an already existing open source app,but in web apps ,you've got to meet specifications already laid out.eg ui,layout,server behaviour.etc
I respect desktop apps though..very useful,but not beginner inclined...
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:54am On Mar 10, 2013
but just know that if you don't learn how to write desktop apps as a beginner and somehow convince yourself that you will learn later. believe me, later you will start looking for a php interpreter that will make your php codes work on desktop or you will start trying to convince people(like the op is doing) to believe that desktop apps are useless.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by zebudaya(m): 9:25am On Mar 10, 2013
lordZOUGA: but just know that if you don't learn how to write desktop apps as a beginner and somehow convince yourself that you will learn later. believe me, later you will start looking for a php interpreter that will make your php codes work on desktop or you will start trying to convince people(like the op is doing) to believe that desktop apps are useless.

When the time comes, we'll hire them. We'll hire them the way we hire Doctors, Mechanics, Lawyers, Nurses, Butchers etc. We'll hire them for their expertise. They'll make the codes work on the desktop.

Just to clarify, Even though, I said C++ is dying, I have changed my position, it's not dying cheesy. I never said C++ is useless, I acknowledged its' strengths in a previous post, at the same time I recognize its' limitations. That's what you refuse to do.

I honestly think C++ is not for a Naija beginner. Once we solve our last mile internet problem, then Web apps will gain more steam.
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Creatrixity(m): 10:41am On Mar 10, 2013
lordZOUGA: but just know that if you don't learn how to write desktop apps as a beginner and somehow convince yourself that you will learn later. believe me, later you will start looking for a php interpreter that will make your php codes work on desktop or you will start trying to convince people(like the op is doing) to believe that desktop apps are useless.
Php to program desktop apps!..you got me cracking up bro!lol...Well,as a beginner after learning html,css,js,
I went full time into python building desktop apps and stuff...now i build web apps with python too...
Dont get me wrong,i am not against learning how to build desktop apps..it introduces you to concepts like callbacks,slots,triggers,practical OOP,socks,xml threading/processing and lots of stuff,which in turn complements and aids web app development learning...
By the way,saw your app Relax! Good piece of work..

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by javadoctor(m): 12:55pm On Mar 10, 2013
If web apps are the future,wat server language are they written in? I feel u re smarter than that,I code web apps in java,sme other person could b a php programmer,so without prior knowledge of programming how can u write business methods in ejbs ?
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:08pm On Mar 10, 2013
Creatrixity:
Php to program desktop apps!..you got me cracking up bro!lol...Well,as a beginner after learning html,css,js,
I went full time into python building desktop apps and stuff...now i build web apps with python too...
Dont get me wrong,i am not against learning how to build desktop apps..it introduces you to concepts like callbacks,slots,triggers,practical OOP,socks,xml threading/processing and lots of stuff,which in turn complements and aids web app development learning...
By the way,saw your app Relax! Good piece of work..
well that's what most web developers do. I have seen them request for a software that will help them write php or their ruby codes to desktop apps and its mostly because the developer started with "soft" languages and therefore considers learning a lower level language mundane.
oh yeah, Relax! is cool. Thanks!
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by Creatrixity(m): 7:51pm On Mar 10, 2013
lordZOUGA:
well that's what most web developers do. I have seen them request for a software that will help them write php or their ruby codes to desktop apps and its mostly because the developer started with "soft" languages and therefore considers learning a lower level language mundane.
oh yeah, Relax! is cool. Thanks!
Hehe..Those programmers are plain-azz lazy..They are the type of programmers who are afraid of expanding and staying relevent..
I have a friend who is not even willing to think beyond vb.net even when i showed him its limitations...
I believe that programming is always on a trend shift and if you dont move with it..man,you go extinct like the dinos...
Some years ago ,ruby was the thing..along comes php and that was the new craze ..
I believe in being dynamic and knowing a little bit of stuff even in fields i do not yet work with and not shrinking away from challenges..

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by codeManiac(m): 7:32pm On Mar 23, 2013
Dnt really hav much 2 say...my ogas hav said it all...
Letz jst kip in mind dat these languages are hotcakes in der respective domains...and wen it comes 2 general purpose programming,c/c++,java,c# al d way...
Dnt 4get dat internet giants(google,facebook,youtube et al) stil employs dis "obsolete" programmers!
Re: What Are Your Opinions On This?? by hardebayho(m): 1:18pm On Jun 23, 2015
zebudaya:

Hello sir, please can I get you on whatsapp?

(1) (Reply)

Interswitch Payment Integration / Help A Brother On Solution / Programming Lecture Here On Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.