Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! (997 Views)

"I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War / Will Russia And China Hold Their Fire Until War Is The Only Alternative? — P.C.R / Obama To Reveal Isis Strategy – But Pledges 'no Iraq War' - The guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by BigB11(m): 5:05am On Mar 24, 2008
It is apparent to all that the Iraq war is scary, sad, confusing, unnecessary and an everlasting nightmare. But if the opportunity belongs to you, as the United States president, how would you successfully end Iraq war?
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by TheSly: 5:11am On Mar 24, 2008
*waiting for replies*
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Nobody: 5:33am On Mar 24, 2008
@topic
There is no easy solution in sight, if there is any at all.
The only way out is to compromise with Al-quada and Osama been hiding.

Now my own question:

It is also apparent to all that the Darfur genocide is scary, sad, confusing, unnecessary and an everlasting nightmare. But if the opportunity belongs to you, as Big B1, how would you successfully end the war in Sudan?
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by oldie(m): 12:51pm On Mar 24, 2008
The solutions would be, what the Iraqis want:
1. All US troops withdrawn
2. No NATO/UN peace keepers
3. A strong home-grown government
4. Reduce the militias
5. Reconstruction of infra structure

Solutions have to come from within
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 24, 2008
oldie:

I do support the withdrawal of all troops, but it wont make sense if after they've gone, the situation remains the same.

Al-queda and other ethnic militias will make the place a hell on earth as they will all struggle to be the ruling party. As a result of that, a more vicious Sadam will emerge. Ahmedinejad will do anything to see this development come through.

oldie:

4. Reduce the militias

Solutions have to come within

How do you achieve all these without striking a deal with the Al-quada and other militant groups?
If the people in charge of Iraq are interested in bringing sanity to the area; they will have no
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Mar 24, 2008
oldie:

4. Reduce the militias

Solutions have to come from within

1) Considering the current situation in the country, the US troops are not really the problem but the insurgents whose intention is to take over the place and pushing the US troops out will only make it easier for them to do so. I am sure those troops and america as a whole would like to see their men come back home but what becomes of iraq in that vacuum if things are not resolved to a point where the iraqi forces are best able to manage on their own??
2) Nato/UN peace keepers are there to help the people with security, no matter how limited it is and rebuilding, remove them and you remove the safety net that currently exists and deters the insurgents and militias from running free.
3)Nothing stops the Iraqi leaders from building a strong home grown government. I mean they have had some good elections and are to have another later this year but so far, we know that they have not been able to build the needed strong hom-grown government that was expected. So it is not that this is not on the list but it is yet to be achieved is the problem.
4) How do you reduce militia if you remove the forces that currently hinder the militia from taking over?? The Iraqi police and forces have shown that they are not ready to handle the militia on their own and they are doing a great job but not yet there to handle it on their own according to them. If you remove the help they have now for cutting down militia attacks, how do you achieve goal number 4?
5)Reconstruction of Infrastructure-- That has been going on now for years. Problem is the millitia are not stupid and have also learned that attacking reconstruction projects is a good way of hampering progress. We have seen and heard stories of attacks on construction sites and what not. 

So based on this, are you sure your plans there are good enough
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:36pm On Mar 24, 2008
4000 US soldiers killed shocked shocked
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

In a war, 4000 Americans killed. A Number which is less than 5% of iraqi's that have been killed by insurgents in the same country over the same period. A number far smaller than the number of Sudanese that have been killed over the same period in sudan with no americans around. A number which pales in comparison to the number of american's who have died in the same period on the streets of America. I am not sure raising an eye brow when it comes to this number is best way to deal.
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by toshmann(m): 12:08am On Mar 25, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

about 4000 children less than five yrs old in nigeria will be dead by this time next week due to illnesses like malaria, tb, hiv, accidents, etc sad

by the way kobo, do you know a place in columbus(or near columbus/OH) called gahana(spelling undecided)? i spent the easter break there with some relatives. anyway i'll soon be heading to base.
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On Mar 25, 2008
Gahanna is up the road from me on morse. I am only about 5 minutes from the place.
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:44am On Mar 25, 2008
Kobojunkie:

In a war, 4000 Americans killed. A Number which is less than 5% of iraqi's that have been killed by insurgents in the same country over the same period. A number far smaller than the number of Sudanese that have been killed over the same period in sudan with no americans around. A number which pales in comparison to the number of american's who have died in the same period on the streets of America. I am not sure raising an eye brow when it comes to this number is best way to deal.

I was trying to be sarcastic. The one on Iraq is a good thing, NOTTTTT, and by the way what has become of Afghanistan, America should continue their fight on terrorism in the middle east because it is doing such a GREAT job for the people of the middle east, NOTTTTT, America was able to find weapons of mass destruction, NOTTTTTT, America is in poor financial situation for funding a war that they created, TRUEEEE
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Mar 25, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I was trying to be sarcastic. The one on Iraq is a good thing, NOTTTTT, and by the way what has become of Afghanistan, America should continue their fight on terrorism in the middle east because it is doing such a GREAT job for the people of the middle east, NOTTTTT, America was able to find weapons of mass destruction, NOTTTTTT, America is in poor financial situation for funding a war that they created, TRUEEEE

Our elders say remove the stick in your eyes before you go removing that in the eyes of another person. As toshmann pointed out already, we have many more kids in your own land right there dying every week than we have american's who have died in this war so far. You may not agree with the war and that is ok but I am sure there are Afghanis and Iraqi's who will disagree with your view completely. Just last 2 months, Afghanistan announced that a contract is in place to build the largest copper mine in that country and that will provide jobs for the first time in decades to many afghani's. All over iraq, there have been improvements on many levels even though it is not visible yet. Your own country however has not been at war, the west is not involved, yet unemployment is at a rate comparable with that in Iraq and Afghanistan. People die like flies, even worse than in Afghanistan or iraq. Are you sure your own people are better off even with no war??

The War in Iraq is not major reason for america's financial situation. If you look up your economics, you would realize that. If you understood how much the bad lending practices in the country alone cost the country, you would understand how the claim that the war as reason for financial situation is rubbish. We are speaking of a situation where millions of americans each dug an average debt hole of about $120,000. Calculate that and then come back and compare it to the amount spent on the war and maybe you get a better picture of what really happened in this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17584725/

Subprime mortgages totaled $600 billion last year, accounting for about one-fifth of the US. home loan market. An estimated $1.3 trillion in subprime mortgages are currently outstanding. That’s nearly as large as entire California economy.

Q: Could the subprime mortgage market’s misery infect other parts of the economy?

A: In a worst case scenario, the wave of anticipated defaults on subprime mortgages and tighter lending standards could combine to drive down home values. That could make all homeowners feel a little less wealthy, contributing to a gradual decline in their spending. Less consumer spending eventually weakens the economy, prompting companies to start laying off workers in a vicious cycle that causes households to become even more frugal.

“There could be some negative psychological effects to all this,” said Standard & Poor’s subprime mortgage analyst Stuart Plesser.

Edward Leamer, an economist with the UCLA Anderson Forecast, doubts home prices will fall dramatically because most owners won’t have to sell. Still, he predicts home values will remain flat or slightly depressed for the next three or four years.

“There are going to be a number of borrowers feeling a lot of distress,” he said.

Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:01am On Mar 25, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Our elders say remove the stick in your eyes before you go removing that in the eyes of another person. As toshmann pointed out already, we have many more kids in your own land right there dying every week than we have american's who have died in this war so far. You may not agree with the war and that is ok but I am sure there are Afghanis and Iraqi's who will disagree with your view completely. Just last 2 months, Afghanistan announced that a contract is in place to build the largest copper mine in that country and that will provide jobs for the first time in decades to many afghani's. All over iraq, there have been improvements on many levels even though it is not visible yet. Your own country however has not been at war, the west is not involved, yet unemployment is at a rate comparable with that in Iraq and Afghanistan. People die like flies, even worse than in Afghanistan or iraq. Are you sure your own people are better off even with no war??

The War in Iraq is not major reason for america's financial situation. If you look up your economics, you would realize that. If you understood how much the bad lending practices in the country alone cost the country, you would understand how the claim that the war as reason for financial situation is rubbish. We are speaking of a situation where millions of americans each dug an average debt hole of about $120,000. Calculate that and then come back and compare it to the amount spent on the war and maybe you get a better picture of what really happened in this.

Yes Im aware of the subprime mortgage crunch that has rattled the american economy, but the fact that america is spending billions of dollars annually on a war which should not have happened on all accounts is beneath me. Nigeria has her problems and if you want to talk about them open another thread and we can do that, but please stay objective in the argument.

The US is borrowing money from other nations to fund their war in the middle east.
But again this is not a problem. Let them continue superimposing their beliefs and ideologies on the rest of the world. I remmeber the UN mandate that disapproved of their invasion into Iraq, the Iraqi people wont the troops out, but now it is too late and they actually need peace keeping troops to stay there

War brings change, but it is still a gruesome ordeal, even if Iraq ends up being better nation in five years than it is today, has the end justified the means?
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 4:07am On Mar 25, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Yes I'm aware of the subprime mortgage crunch that has rattled the american economy, but the fact that america is spending billions of dollars annually on a war which should not have happened on all accounts is beneath me. Nigeria has her problems and if you want to talk about them open another thread and we can do that, but please stay objective in the argument.

The US is borrowing money from other nations to fund their war in the middle east.
But again this is not a problem. Let them continue superimposing their beliefs and ideologies on the rest of the world. I remmeber the UN mandate that disapproved of their invasion into Iraq, the Iraqi people wont the troops out, but now it is too late and they actually need peace keeping troops to stay there

War brings change, but it is still a gruesome ordeal, even if Iraq ends up being better nation in five years than it is today, has the end justified the means?

Whether you are anti-war or pro-war, that is for another thread entirely and I really do not care what your view of it or anyone elses is. But you can not come in to make claims that are not right and think that bolsters your stand pertaining to this war.

We are already at war, we have been for the past five years now and so whatever issues you have before it does not matter at this point. It is done, it is done. No need to continue to whine about what you think when what you think did not count then and does not seem to count now cause the deed has already been done. Iraqis are at war and time will tell what will come out of this.

The economy was doing ok, actually it was doing great even with the debt before the bubble burst on the housing sector and then we started feeling the ripple effect of it. Simple!! if you have issues with the USA, you can air that view but fact remains, this is not about the war but just you trying to use it as reason. High Oil prices have not helped the economy either.

A recession is always to be expected after a period of great economic growth. This is not the first of it and it certainly will not be the last, no matter who is in charge or what our policies are. Every economy goes through it.
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:14am On Mar 25, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Whether you are anti-war or pro-war, that is for another thread entirely and I really do not care what your view of it or anyone elses is. But you can not come in to make claims that are not right and think that bolsters your stand pertaining to this war.

We are already at war, we have been for the past five years now and so whatever issues you have before it does not matter at this point. It is done, it is done. No need to continue to whine about what you think when what you think did not count then and does not seem to count now cause the deed has already been done. Iraqis are at war and time will tell what will come out of this.

The economy was doing ok, actually it was doing great even with the debt before the bubble burst on the housing sector and then we started feeling the ripple effect of it. Simple!! if you have issues with the USA, you can air that view but fact remains, this is not about the war but just you trying to use it as reason. High Oil prices have not helped the economy either.

A recession is always to be expected after a period of great economic growth. This is not the first of it and it certainly will not be the last, no matter who is in charge or what our policies are. Every economy goes through it.

This recession could have been avoided. You know and I know,, subprime mortgage market is ridiculous. The take mortgages and give it to people that the banks have already rejected. you think their accepting process would be a little better, Their are guidelines that they actually supposed to follow.

But back to the topic, I can voice any opinion in which I appeasing to me. No one is saying you have to accept it or even listen to it self.
The fact remains that the use has not done anything positive for their image in the middle east. They invaded Afghanistan, now it is being tasked by essentially Nato. Lets see the state they will leave Iraq in when the eventually pull out.
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 4:16am On Mar 25, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

This recession could have been avoided. You know and I know,, subprime mortgage market is ridiculous. The take mortgages and give it to people that the banks have already rejected. you think their accepting process would be a little better, Their are guidelines that they actually supposed to follow.

But back to the topic, I can voice any opinion in which I appeasing to me. No one is saying you have to accept it or even listen to it self.
The fact remains that the use has not done anything positive for their image in the middle east. They invaded Afghanistan, now it is being tasked by essentially Nato. Lets see the state they will leave Iraq in when the eventually pull out.

That again remains your take and your opinion. Not everyone accepts that and so it is not a fact but your own take and your own view.Simple!!
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Afam(m): 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2008
The US is 100% responsible for the carnage in Iraq today simply because its president lied his war into waging war with Iraq just because "Saddam tried to kill my dad".

And as usual spin doctors would try to divert attention from the cause of the mayhem to internal problems in Iraq, what a shame.
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2008
@Josboy4lif, I have a reference for you to check out. Here is a book I suggest you get your hands on and read in it's entireity to understand why your view of the war is just mostly that, yours and so is the next man's. The man that wrote the book was actually in iraq and lived the situation from beginning , http://paulrieckhoff.com/home/index.asp
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by chidichris(m): 4:53pm On Mar 25, 2008
most bookmakers and wise men of our have the opportunity to explain the causes of the iraq war and even have solutions to the war yet non have any information on the careless deaths in nigeria on daily bases talkless of solutions.
the situations in nigeria where there is no war, the situation in sudan and zimbabwe are all okay with us and deserve no attention.
the lives of 4,000 us soldiers in since 2004 remains disturbing than the uncoutable souls we loose every year via pipeline fire outbreaks. it has more implications than souls we loose on daily bases via accidents as a result of bad roads.
to me nigeria and africa deserve more attention than the iraqi situation.
Bush lied in iraq so who lied in nigerian situation? who lied in sudan and who is lying in zimbabwe?
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Mar 25, 2008
chidichris:

most bookmakers and wise men of our have the opportunity to explain the causes of the iraq war and even have solutions to the war yet non have any information on the careless deaths in nigeria on daily bases talkless of solutions.
the situations in nigeria where there is no war, the situation in sudan and zimbabwe are all okay with us and deserve no attention.
the lives of 4,000 us soldiers in since 2004 remains disturbing than the uncoutable souls we loose every year via pipeline fire outbreaks. it has more implications than souls we loose on daily bases via accidents as a result of bad roads.
to me nigeria and africa deserve more attention than the iraqi situation.
Bush lied in iraq so who lied in nigerian situation? who lied in sudan and who is lying in zimbabwe?

grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO!!!!!
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Blatant: 5:02pm On Mar 25, 2008
5 years into the genocide orchestrated by George Bush and 4000 Americans dead.

The 4000 Americans have executed, raped and tortured countless Iraqis.

Uncountable number of iraqi women and children have been killed and many more are being killed on a daily basis as a result of the situation which george Bush created in Iraq.

May God give George Bush the horror that he deserves at some point
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by MP007(m): 8:34am On Mar 28, 2008
clap for bush
Re: The Iraq War Is Now 5 Years Old! by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 28, 2008
a trip down memory lane -

this will not be another vietnam cry

(1) (Reply)

The Bush Doctrine Is Provoking New Arms Race As Russian Launch New Missiles / Israeli Test On Worm Called Crucial In Iran Nuclear Delay / Gaddafi Invented Rocket Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.