Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,816 members, 7,806,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. (48931 Views)

Trekking From Accra To Lagos for IDPs / My Journey From Nigeria To Dubai With Pictures / Journey From Lagos To Anambra By Road In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by 360command: 11:48pm On Mar 11, 2013
I feel very bitter narrating my experience or peoples experience on the journey from Accra to Lagos by road. I feel very bitter on the type of govt we have back in Nigeria. Nigeria in my heart but for how long will this people in govt continue to make us suffer? I have traveled by road and by air across various countries in the west African region and I must say that travelling by road to Lagos along the ECOWAS route is very pathetic. Due to the experience my friends encountered on the road when travelling, I have decided to write about the journey not given much details but the areas which needs to be handled seriously.
They(my friends) arrived Ghana by road from Lagos so as they can come to collect their certificate, recommendation and reference letter in other for them to be able to use to apply for their masters program abroad which was successful. The journey was with ease when arriving Ghana but the journey from Accra, Ghana to Lagos, Nigeria is worrisome especially when you reach SEME border which is Benin republic and Nigeria.infact, from Seme border down to Mile 2 is where the journey begins and this is very hectic.
SEME border as it is, is in a total mess and I wonder how many years it will take for the govt to fix things in order at the border. The sight is nothing to write home about, a noisy atmosphere where everybody does things helter-skelter. The drive back home from Seme into lagos city is ghastly. The roads are very bad with lots of potholes waiting to finish your shocks and create accidents. A lot of checkpoint by men in paramilitary and govt agencies such as customs, immigration , NDLEA, Police, quarantine, FRSC area boys acting as they were kept by govt on the road etc.
I strongly believe that there are over 37 checkpoint (legal or illegal) along badagry expressway. A 1km distance on that road , we can see about 8-10 different paramilitary on the road. This slows down the travel times covered to reach Lagos city itself. If every country in westafrica were to have such high numerous checkpoints that we are having in Nigeria, I do not think travelling by road will be worth it. It is very pathetic to see those paramilitaries collecting bribes on road so as they can allow vehicles or goods to pass. Those officers mean business and permit me to use this word ‘their eyes dey chook’. I do not see them as officers who are doing their job but they are there to waste peoples time and money not caring about where they are going.
I am not happy with the Nigerian government, I am not happy with ECOWAS. I really do not know what ECOWAS are doing in Abuja, I do not know why our govt cannot remove those paramilitary off the ECOWAS road at once without them from coming back. At least, there should be about 5 checkpoint on the road. Our govt should understand that Nigeria is the only country we have and we have no other place to go other than Nigeria. They should just make the country a better place for us to live in. they should remove the stress out of us. Even though they have money to enter flight, there are many people who do not have. Is it too much to ask from the govt just to help us? Shey na like this we go de dey?

19 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Nobody: 3:07am On Mar 12, 2013
These are some of the things the Nigerian press should investigate and highlight. But unfortunately they'r too busy reporting politics.

21 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Duru1(m): 3:34am On Mar 12, 2013
@OP

All I can say there is a huge difference between a country and a jungle. From your write-up, it seems you have experienced the life in both. I say decide the verdict.

2 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Nobody: 3:41am On Mar 12, 2013
Thats really a good news . "Thank God im not a nigeryian" tongue
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by 360command: 6:03am On Mar 12, 2013
The situation is bad by the day. No improvement. This our govt weakens my heart when I see such nasty things happen in my eyes.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Nobody: 8:00am On Mar 12, 2013
Nigeria is a hrt brk kid.

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by yuzedo: 8:58am On Mar 12, 2013
Lol! Went thru this crap last month. The foolish immigrations people singled me out for random search/questioning.

What do you do? I am a Financial Analyst in a Private Equity firm. Ok, please come down from the bus.

They go through my phone. They go through my laptop! On my laptop they saw the movie "Police Academy" and raised alarm, what am I doing with sensitive documents eh? Is this not the Police Academy in Kano? This must be classified info! Who are you and why do you have this on your system?

Chai! See the ignorant, illiterates we entrust our security!

I got home at 12am that day after leaving Accra at 7.30am. Meanwhile some days prior to that I arrived accra at 8pm. All because the Nigeria axis is a failed portion of the journey.

Police Academy, Kano! grin grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by JUO(m): 10:16am On Mar 12, 2013
the boarder in picture

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by 360command: 12:22pm On Mar 12, 2013
yuzedo: Lol! Went thru this crap last month. The foolish immigrations people singled me out for random search/questioning.

What do you do? I am a Financial Analyst in a Private Equity firm. Ok, please come down from the bus.

They go through my phone. They go through my laptop! On my laptop they saw the movie "Police Academy" and raised alarm, what am I doing with sensitive documents eh? Is this not the Police Academy in Kano? This must be classified info! Who are you and why do you have this on your system?

I got home at 12am that day after leaving Accra at 7.30am. Meanwhile some days prior to that I arrived accra at 8pm. All because the Nigeria axis is a failed portion of the journey.

A friend was also singled out by men of NDLEA, his bags and phones were searched. According to my friend, he says even if you have a brother that stays in the USA as long as they see +1 ... they do not care if he is your brother but they think probably you are into 419.. Our securities on the road are F000LISH.

I just do not know when this nightmare will come to an end.

4 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by yuzedo: 2:55pm On Mar 12, 2013
PRO TIP: Accra to Lagos, NEVER EVER go by road! Take a flight and arrive in 45mins rather than 16hrs! undecided

If you want to go by road because you are interested in West African geography, then go Lagos - Accra (google says it is less than 7hrs but you'll be lucky to do it in 12hrs). Never ply Accra - Lagos cos other countries don't really give us issues, but coming into Naija, e dey be like say na we wan smuggle world-wide contraband pass! undecided How many cocaine you wan carry wey all the naija security apparatus dey line up for road with red eye?! You will be frustrated beyond belief! Hiss...! angry

4 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Orikinla(m): 2:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: These are some of the things the Nigerian press should investigate and highlight. But unfortunately they'r too busy reporting politics.

They have reported it countless times for decades. But the corrupt people in power simply ignore these reports and continue with their business as usual.

2 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
I agree with you,any time you arrive at that Nigerian border,you get scared .You cannot be a gentle man on that road,you give them all your money on each check point.I normally change my outfit when i get to the Nigeria border area,to look like and area boy and use a thicken voice to communicate.They will allow you passage easily,if you are wearing a suit,lol!More money will be demanded

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by yuzedo: 3:00pm On Mar 12, 2013
There are no fine girls on the buses sef... Na so so ghana house-geh dey full bus, while fine, rich, sweet babes with ice-cream laps dey use plane.... You go siddon for 10hrs with person wey dey come sell ghana bread and banku for Oshodi... Longggggggggggg Hissssssssssssss!!!!! angry angry cry

11 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by ypzilanti: 3:01pm On Mar 12, 2013
Why not have only two official points on the border with professional officers? All that is needed to put the border agents in check is random undercover pasengers to arrest offenders. The rot in this country is too much. Na wah.

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by baby124: 3:02pm On Mar 12, 2013
yuzedo: Lol! Went thru this crap last month. The foolish immigrations people singled me out for random search/questioning.

ROTFLMAO WHAT!!! grin grin grin cheesy
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Drunk: 3:03pm On Mar 12, 2013
@ OP you should also know that the current security challenge within the country would have made the check points doubled up. In as much as i am not saying they are doing the right thing.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Amoshie(m): 3:04pm On Mar 12, 2013
God bless you my brother
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by TriggerHappy: 3:06pm On Mar 12, 2013
African leaders are savages, they don't give a phuck abt their people.

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Mobsync(m): 3:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: These are some of the things the Nigerian press should investigate and highlight. But unfortunately they'r too busy reporting politics.

Oga which levels na? Na politics money dey abi if na seme border Reuben Abati dey report, u think say oncu Jona go employ am?
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by globechamp: 3:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
I tried Accra - Lagos FIRST and LAST time in 2012, thinking I will feast my eyes and have fun. I have vowed never to try it again unless I am driving myself. It was an absolute, absolute waste of time. Can you explain arrival at Seme border around 7pm and landing at Yaba (cross country bus) around 12am?

On a positive note though, when you travel through Benin Republic, Togo and towards the exit of Aflao, you will sincerely thank God that you are a Nigerian. When we drove through those countries, I was like, is there a sitting government in this part of the world? Civilization is FAR AWAY. Power is so obvious. Roads through Togo are very bad (I went during rainy season), in fact, I was glad I am Nigerian because I saw first hand that some nations nearby are worse off.

I guess those ECOWAS people dont even have a clue what the situation of that road is. I hope Nigerian government will wake up to their responsibility someday...

5 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by metti(m): 3:08pm On Mar 12, 2013
I totally agree with your post! I have experienced this ugly situation to and from Ghana. It is worst from Nigeria to Seme and from Seme to Nigeria. All sorts or embarrassments by law enforcing officers, these people are public disgrace, they have no shame at all. You are left to wonder the type of country we live in.
Despite this there are lots of contra ban that still flood Nigerian market. It is high time our house of assembly do something about this ugly situation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Mobsync(m): 3:11pm On Mar 12, 2013

Ur own sef too much @bolded. What were u driving at? Even I myself got scared the moment I read it cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
Reserved
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by yuzedo: 3:17pm On Mar 12, 2013
Mobsync:

Ur own sef too much @bolded. What were u driving at? Even I myself got scared the moment I read it cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
You go first ask if him know wetin be Private Equity! grin I had to show the semi-illiterate that regardless of the combat shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops and afro i was sporting, i wasn't a playing nigga o! cheesy If he sees me in my power-suit the next day monday, he go dey greet me sir, sir, so make him no think say everybody wey dey bus na rascal o.. Lol. Abeg i wasn't smiling in case he thought he could ride roughshod over fellow illiterates. An educated man will put him in his place if he slips up. I had to adopt a calm yet steely almost condescending/indifferent demeanor in case he wan use me shine. undecided

Abeg bro no fear, me sef na hustler like u. I no dey drive Range Rover.... grin
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by akinvictorak: 3:19pm On Mar 12, 2013
Even all this Security apparatus or Devices so called, when someone passes through them too much within some few hours interval may even cause some ill-health to man's body............ I suggest flight to travelers plying 9ja-Accra smiley[color=#550000][/color]
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by nijanigga: 3:20pm On Mar 12, 2013
Is Nigeria a real country? Of course not, to me Nigeria is an illusion.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by dridowu: 3:21pm On Mar 12, 2013
So sad
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by bory09(m): 3:22pm On Mar 12, 2013
Then.....what? Is it only in nigeria. Is it today you are seeing such thing, kini big deal. Why come to nairaland you suppose go to one market to the other and start shouting. Rubbish, secret they no fy keep na to shout na him dem no. Abeg jare
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by chreldb(m): 3:24pm On Mar 12, 2013

Lol @ bolded. They should have charged you for piracy instead. @ least that would have made more sense grin.

2 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by UnknownMember: 3:25pm On Mar 12, 2013

Since when did the Nigerian security agencies get the right to search your Laptops, phones and other devices?! angry

See wetin Okoko like you don cause. angry Now because some retar`ds allowed them search and molest and harass hem like this, they will now think it is legal to do so.

No bloody officer of any law enforcement will dare search my Laptop. I will rather they arrest me than allow my right to be abused. Thats a personal property and a violation of my space.

That type of search is very illegal. What exactly is immigrations looking for on your laptop?!

Na people like una dey make Police people think say dem be Commando.. angry

If I see you, I swear to God, na slap you go chop.. angry

Now because of you, I no go pass Seme Border ever again.. angry

9 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by babadey(m): 3:25pm On Mar 12, 2013
Toaskarity: Thats really a good news . "Thank God im not a nigeryian" tongue

You are a compound fool

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Flood Takes Over Okota Area In Lagos (photos) / Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt / Young Lady Killed By A Trailer Just After Partaking In The JAMB Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.