Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,374 members, 7,781,050 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:02 AM

How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. (623 Views)

What Really Caused The Nigerian Civil War Of 1967 - 1969? / Photo: Tinubu And Atiku Hug And Laugh: What Could Have Caused The Excitement? / Amaechi And Jonathan: What Caused The Rift ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by TheKingsQueen: 2:24pm On Mar 12, 2013
Just few days ago, a militant islamic sect, Jama’atu Ansarul Musilimina Fi Biladis Sudan (JAMBS) released a video to prove that seven SETRACO workers abducted by the group in Bauchi on 16th February 2013 had been assassinated by the group. Recall that the group accompanied the video with a statement claiming that the reason why they killed the 7 hostages was as a result of local media news reports reporting the arrival of five (5) British warplanes in Nigeria. UK Foreign Minister William Hague had however denied that the planes were in Nigeria on a rescue mission for the hostages but were only transporting Nigerian troops and military equipment to Mali.

It would also be recalled that since the abduction of these foreigners, Ansaru had never made clear demands for the release of the hostages, saying only that the attack on the compound was in retaliation for the “transgression and atrocities done to the religion of Allah by the European countries in many places such as Afghanistan and Mali.”

Now, my worry is on the way local journalists and bloggers reveal classified information with security implications without giving a hoot about the dangers involved.
In as much as we are in the era of the freedom of expression, I still think our journalists and bloggers really need to be discretional in their reportage, they have to weigh the pros and cons of the content of their reports and their implications before releasing them to the public. In as much as they are doing so to inform the general public on things happening in the society, they also have to bear in mind that the enemy might be lurking in the corner, looking for how to launch his evil, just as we saw it happen in this current case at hand.

I'm aware that journalists from some media houses from time to time undergo security trainings and trainings on ethics and guidelines of security reportage. So why are they not putting their training into practice? Blogging and reporting on military movements, security operations and other sensitive security matters is out of place and condemnable. It exposes people to danger and should be discouraged.

We really have to be using our "Number-6" in everything we do. We should be thinking before we act and not the other way round. This is my heartfelt opinion, and I would like to ask the general public to use this medium to drop a word of advice for our journalists, reporters, bloggers and newscasters. A word is enough for the wise I think.

1 Like

Re: How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by JimmyOkon: 5:47pm On Mar 12, 2013
I DONT THINK SO,THIS GROUP IS AN ALQUEDA AFFILIATE JUST ACTING THEIR LEADER OSAMA SCRIPT THEY ONLY KILL AND,BOMB.BUT ARE AGENCIES RE NOT WORKING ON THAT
Re: How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by TheKingsQueen: 7:55am On Mar 13, 2013
Jimmy Okon: I DONT THINK SO,THIS GROUP IS AN ALQUEDA AFFILIATE JUST ACTING THEIR LEADER OSAMA SCRIPT THEY ONLY KILL AND,BOMB.BUT ARE AGENCIES RE NOT WORKING ON THAT
The focus of the thread is on the role of journalists, bloggers and our local media in the killing of these people, and the need for them to be using their number-6 while reporting classified security matters.
Re: How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by jeron1(m): 8:04am On Mar 13, 2013
Fresh air Nigeria...reterdeen GEJ will set up a committee to look in to it soon... The govt is ontop of the situation...keep calm
Re: How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by texazzpete(m): 8:19am On Mar 13, 2013
The_King'sQueen:

The focus of the thread is on the role of journalists, bloggers and our local media in the killing of these people, and the need for them to be using their number-6 while reporting classified security matters.

Please stop with this foolishness! The cause of death of the 7 hostages was high velocity bullets from the guns of the Ansaru terrorists. Whatever your conjecture on the impact of the blog reports on the arrival of the british planes, stating categorically that the journalists 'caused the death' of the hostages is just plain m0r0nic.

I have no idea why your headline has the word 'death' in double quotes.
Re: How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by kgbd(m): 8:23am On Mar 13, 2013
Sounds very ridiculous! One thing you failed to establish was if they reported that the war plane are on mission to rescue the hostages because from all indications the killers assumed they were coming after them. You cant just put the blame on the media.
Re: How Journalists And Bloggers Caused The "Death" Of The 7 Foreign Hostages. by BeraBera(f): 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2013
Had it been the media did not report the arrival of the British planes, nor probably linked it to the possibility of them coming to rescue the foreign hostages, this incident might not have happened. Because the Ansarul sect members had earlier warned that any attempt to rescue them would be fatal.

(1) (Reply)

‘Oga At The Top’ Reportedly Places NSCDC Commandant On Suspension / Staff Promotion Scandal Rocks INEC Ahead Of 2015 General Election / The President May Be Behind The Terror In Our Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.