Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,634 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. (26341 Views)

Man Who Spent 20-Years Living In A Mountain Cave (photos) / Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone / ‘revealed: Jaji Bombs Manufactured In The Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 13, 2013
I have lived in both police and Army barracks for 20 years. I started up at the Otop-Abasi Police barracks, Calabar and later 34 Brigade, Eburutu barracks, Calabar.

Barrack live was fun as there was stiff competition both in football and in classroom amongst the blocks. When we get our results, you hear we have 6 first position in so so so block etc. Then the inter-block matches which were fun.

In police barracks, I got the privilege to stay at the women police block which is a 2-bedroom apartment with two wardrobes, a large kitchen, a balcony and a toilet/bathroom. Life in police barracks was much more interesting than the Army barracks. We stole wood from the nearby timber market and sleepers at other blocks' room footmats.

Going to the streams at Army barracks was aspect I relished but hated the generally wayward lifeestyle of the soldiers. One moment I hated the military was when my 52 years old uncle, a Corporal was sent to the guardroom by an NDA officer of about 25 yrs who was a captain. He ended up spending christmas in the guardroom and I hated the military thereafter.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Deiok(m): 7:45am On Mar 13, 2013
My guy i nor wan eve go there talkless of staying. Lol
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:45am On Mar 13, 2013
babyosisi: Never lived in one
Have no love or admiration for any Nigerian uniformed man
I actually dumped a prospective spouse because he was in the military
The non commissioned officers look like hungry,trigger happy low life highway beggars and rap.ists that procreate like roaches
The officers all looked like womanizing drunkards to me
Felt somewhat protected around the bobo sha but when it came to marriage,my spirit and soul said no and I bolted and ran into the loving arms of a fellow civilian.
Hahaha...But you almost married one. I have no time for this. Just quit projecting your anger on our heroes. You sound silly, btw.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by slimyem: 7:47am On Mar 13, 2013
Never stayed in a barracks but I used the Ikeja cantonment to and fro work for about two years and it was mostly orderly and peaceful except for the day I was almost beaten up because i use the gatemen's slab as a walkway.I cry tire that day before them free me.cool
I have also frequented Navy town and Ojo barracks and the houses i saw and visited plus the environment was neat and clean mostly.
I don't think the op's lying about his experience though..undecidedHe just probably experienced the sorry side of barracks life.cool
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 13, 2013
Rapmoney:

O boy, u too dey lie! Lie go kill u! So una fight with officers of the Nigerian Army, na im wetin happen for Odi, Bayelsa State no happen to una? Go find KG3 pupils tell...or you go boil granites.
Another Yaba left on the loose.Where did i state that we fought officers?If you don't know the difference between an Officer and Korofo(Recruit)Go consult your brighter Grammar it will greatly help you.This na morning am not game on exchanging words with a maniac and a small boy who managed to steal blackberry from the Nurse taking care of him in Yaba confinement.I have told my story if you like believe it i don't owe you an obligation for that.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Ninilowo(m): 8:01am On Mar 13, 2013
CBQ···········Ikeja military cantonment all the way.
The place wey pidgin be lingua franca. Children ceremonial dress na kpata or boxer. Big girls dey come from dilapidated buildings con dey form for oshodi. Boys na real hustlers for maryland. Women too dey gossip like say tmoro no dey. Women main occupation na to sell roasted fish n fry garry in some cases. Na there u go see children bearing the names of days of d week such as Friday, Monday,etc. Na there I first hear say pipu dey bear Tuesday as name. Life for nite na anoda thing at Mami market where burukutu and suya de rein. After some cups of burukutu u go dey hear tory of First word war from d old sojas dem with different song. Better rifle dey, better suya dey,ogogoro dey, burukutu dey.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by MEILYN(m): 8:06am On Mar 13, 2013
ojo navy barrack 4 life my dad was a naval officer chaiiii.......
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by mosquitoNet(m): 8:12am On Mar 13, 2013
Ninilowo: CBQ···········Ikeja military cantonment all the way.
The place wey pidgin be lingua franca. Children ceremonial dress na kpata or boxer. Big girls dey come from dilapidated buildings con dey form for oshodi. Boys na real hustlers for maryland. Women too dey gossip like say tmoro no dey. Women main occupation na to sell roasted fish n fry garry in some cases. Na there u go see children bearing the names of days of d week such as Friday, Monday,etc. Na there I first hear say pipu dey bear Tuesday as name. Life for nite na anoda thing at Mami market where burukutu and suya de rein. After some cups of burukutu u go dey hear tory of First word war from d old sojas dem with different song. Better rifle dey, better suya dey,ogogoro dey, burukutu dey.
lol......so you never hear talk say pesin dey bear saturday?
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by wasak(m): 8:13am On Mar 13, 2013
i be correct barrack boi o...i lived frm 0-15 years until popsman resigned...mehn it ws fun. even wen i went to a boarding ssec skul...i ws olways praying for sstrike or break so i go fit return hme go play wit my friend...'world scatter'....'police and thief'...@ ikeja military cantonment lagos.and aw kan i eva forget the bomblast of january 2002...mehn unforgettable xperiiience as me,my mama and sistas ran for our dia lives....it wasnt easy o...w@ of d women fighting?? leaking dia secrets...or d men wu go to mammy market to drink out their lives and start falling in d gutter...jus so many memories...i rly miss ol ma frnds tho...i also remember d wey we organise futbol competitions among oursleves and call it 'form'...blocks playing against themselves...no b small tin o...or dose barrack ashawo gals wey dey go do ashawo for outside??...w@ of dose times when a thief is caught and baptised wit general beating? naked them and parade them thru awt d barracks
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by mosquitoNet(m): 8:18am On Mar 13, 2013
wasak: i be correct barrack boi o...i lived frm 0-15 years until popsman resigned...mehn it ws fun. even wen i went to a boarding ssec skul...i ws olways praying for sstrike or break so i go fit return hme go play wit my friend...'world scatter'....'police and thief'...@ ikeja military cantonment lagos.and aw kan i eva forget the bomblast of january 2002...mehn unforgettable xperiiience as me,my mama and sistas ran for our dia lives....it wasnt easy o...w@ of d women fighting?? leaking dia secrets...or d men wu go to mammy market to drink out their lives and start falling in d gutter...jus so many memories...i rly miss ol ma frnds tho...i also remember d wey we organise futbol competitions among oursleves and call it 'form'...blocks playing against themselves...no b small tin o...or dose barrack ashawo gals wey dey go do ashawo for outside??...w@ of dose times when a thief is caught and baptised wit general beating? naked them and parade them thru awt d barracks
Are you from Aluu barracks?
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by charleymed(m): 8:27am On Mar 13, 2013
I thank God that i left there succesful, life in the barracks is nothing to write home about. A very horrible place where parents to child relationship is not valued.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by omodapson(m): 8:29am On Mar 13, 2013
I lived in barracks but all my times were in the officers quarters so decent life all through. The closest to the other side of barrack life was having to go to mammy market to buy stuffs and occasional visits to our back man's house. I wish I could turn back the hands of time to experience the other side fully. We only mingle with neighbours that are officers' children. life was a bit dull, all the funs were only experienced in schools.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by akinmusi(m): 8:35am On Mar 13, 2013
I nor live for barrack but my house was a stone's throw away from the barrack. That the Elere Police Station Barrack at Agege, Lagos.

The description the OP gave is very true of the Elere Police Barrack. I remember few times I passed by the blocks of the buildings. I was almost poured dirty water made of different irritating elements ranging from Pepper water, Dishes-wash water and so on. The barrack is unkempt.

But talk of discipline, I get tory to knack una. I was there during a night between 9 to 9.30 pm in one of the barrack blocks with my girlfriend who also was not living in the barrack. Hmmmm, I go yearn you wetin happen to me when I was caught. But first let me finish the work my boss gave before I hear am for this office. Later.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by aiyeboy(m): 8:38am On Mar 13, 2013
bizlinks: Oh boy!!, that one na enjoyment for you. Life goes on
may u enjoy too my brother
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by justsayemma(m): 8:38am On Mar 13, 2013
I'm glad I grew up in d barack, it made me a well rounded man(a gentle-rugged man)
@ op, I suppose knw u o,cos I grew up in Army barrack opposite Mobil,and I get friends 4 Kayode police barack( Ehime,Peter,Elue,Oto,etc)
Props 2 all barack boiz!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Lizzypop: 8:40am On Mar 13, 2013
Police barrack shellcamp owerri hmmm nothing to write home about.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by gbokukueba(m): 8:42am On Mar 13, 2013
Yes we are here grin We barrack children cheesy. Lived in the barracks from age 3 to 28 when i moved out but my parent still there... Started from Jos in the mid eighties and ended up in Airforce Base Ikeja. Its an experience i can never forget but never wish for my children... Is it the era of witchcraft when women were 'confessing' that they use blood to fry akara grin or the periods of 'ogbanje'? Then the quarrels among families (the funniest part is that the children will always be pals while parent fight to kill each other). Another part is when those stupid airforce guys raid after curfew if you are caught you will sleep guardroom and the next morning you will sweep the walkway by the gate and everyone will see you (very Shameful). Another one is parading burglars and rapist through out the barracks and evicting the parents immediately... Shame i tell yah! But there was a transformation of the barracks and it can be ascribed to two gentlemen, one was the last military administrator of Akwa-Ibom state Ebiye a staunch catholic who battled the 'spirit' of the barracks and laid the foundation then the second was Group Captain Sam Ethnam aka the moving train, aka commander pack-out of blessed memory... he was a darling who was responsible for the physical transformation and discipline of the barracks and unfortunately we all believed he was killed cos he never respected all those barrack tradition. The barracks is named after him now and now no one has the clout to step into his shoes they are all scared for their lives.
But seriously i enjoyed every bit of my life there i enjoyed the soccer competitions, the Christmas jams, the constant water and power supplies... the barrack life.

I amwas proud to be a barrack boi cool because we no get respect... grin
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by stpat1(m): 8:45am On Mar 13, 2013
rawsh247: Guy, shutup ur mouth and pack ur clueless stories go sit down fr one corner...5people in a bathroom, throwin pple from up to down stairs..guy u don fail..ur lies is as fake as chinco phones

Hahahhah that one no happen for your own barracks abi? Oya tell us ur own experience na
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by knockturnal(m): 8:52am On Mar 13, 2013
[quote author=Soulja-boi] Nice to meet you. I rep New Building, Ojo Military Barracks. Lagos. Largest Barracks in W.Africa.[/quote
]
See my brother eeeee! Which school u go? I went to Army Cantonment Primary School(school 7)
@ Op, you are right in some instances. There is severe competition in almost everything inside the barracks. Barracks life was very hectic back then especially in the junior living quaters. Most of the buildings were built for bachelors; small room and exterior toilets and kitchens. Things only get freaky when some soilders move in with their wifes and numerous children. (especially those from the Idoma tribe, they seemed to vomit kids at will). There is always quarells and fighting, gossiping and womanizing and even drug abuse by young kids but just at a level that can be found in any other community with large number of people living in close proximity. All in all it was a great experince while it lasted (19 years.)
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Blackgold09(f): 8:58am On Mar 13, 2013
Odunharry: I didn't stay in face-me-I-face-you but in the barracks for 17yrs, cheii..it almost as worse as slap-me-i-slap-u....
too many children in one room...

Child A and child B from different family go fight, e den turn to JTF vs BOKO Haram. Come see as dem dey trowey person from step go down. Na dia husband dey settle am, the next morning e go continue.

Trust some women,them get phd for gossiping.

How about time to bath? chai,you will see like 5 people at the bathroom at same time. Na barracks naa, nobody send anybody.

Paying nepa bill wasn't a big deal there.,kitchen too cos each room has a kitchen.

The most annoying one na when dem pour you either pepper water, fish and meat water or even zobo water wen you dey play ball for down..na water make dem use wash plate or cloth worse pass.

The children there are stubborn and wicked too o. when 4yr old pikin piss for your head you go know say though water na water, piss different from rain.

How about washing and drying of clothes, chai dat na something else..you just need to stand at the entrance of the barrack, you go ask weda here na laundry or barrack.

If you are a wicked and stingy person, barracks boys go show you something, if you send any pikin rice 100,beans 50 and 2meat, na dia your own finish o..na rice 60, beans 30 and 2 meat e go buy come or make him come lie say money loss. trust na, you no go fit do anything.

What about pipu make dey smell film and food..oh my God! some children na expert...e get one make dem dey call Wale, dat one dey smell film o from 2nd floor as you dey put the film the bobo don enta your house like rat.. the oda one Hassan chaii, as you dey put food for table him don enter.

it was fun and i can tell you i still miss my old pals..we have pipu from different religious and ethnic backgrounds. We mix and relate easily. we played all kind of play when we were young, we go to school together, house to house to eat during xmas and new year and dem must roger us b4 we leave(tax collector).lol.
guy na wic barracks u live? Cos i be barrack pikin o so tell me dat ur barracks name.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by born2boink(m): 8:58am On Mar 13, 2013
Their ladies can Bleep two guys at a time, they don't even Bleep for cash, once you told me you have transport fare back home for them, the next 10 minutes, they will be banging your door ...they are the cheapest girls I have ever seen since I was born and their boys mostly are breweries, if man turn to beers, dem go drink you...barrack life is different entirely
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Rapmoney(m): 9:01am On Mar 13, 2013
chingyjant:
Another Yaba left on the loose.Where did i state that we fought officers?If you don't know the difference between an Officer and Korofo(Recruit)Go consult your brighter Grammar it will greatly help you.This na morning am not game on exchanging words with a maniac and a small boy who managed to steal blackberry from the Nurse taking care of him in Yaba confinement.I have told my story if you like believe it i don't owe you an obligation for that.

You are such a huge bunch of disappointment! People like u come to NL to create unnecessary attention by telling chunks of lies...u are shi.t! Condemned idio.t! Go boil granites!
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 13, 2013
Rapmoney:

You are such a huge bunch of disappointment! People like u come to NL to create unnecessary attention by telling chunks of lies...u are shi.t! Condemned idio.t! Go boil granites!
Like i said earlier on i can't join issues with a small boy and a Lunatic for my time is too precious for that if you must know.Your unnecessary paranoiyance and choice of words speaks volume.Go make good use of the therapy time they give to you in Yaba Left.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by judeff: 9:14am On Mar 13, 2013
Iam serving in the barracks in Birnin kebbi and I most tell uu d most stupid place to stay is d barracks..sleepness nights,every folk wants to shout,gossips and envy...barrack women are very adultrous just like dere husbands...d Commanding officer wants everyone to worship and see him as a semi god...corpers r dere main problem,prostitution yesss, but I don't know y every soldier man dislike an educated elite..can't wait to leave dis den by June
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by osundu(m): 9:18am On Mar 13, 2013
Genlemen living in a barracks is like a school,u learn de good and de bad.A brillant barrack boy can stand anywhere in de world and talk.confidence is his baby.there are a lot of them dat have made serious impact in our society,abeg where is mercy johnson,ask her!being a spoilt child is a individual tin.even if u grow up in victoria garden city or VI,"if u wan spoil,u go spoil"so pls allow us live in our barrack.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Donlouise(m): 9:21am On Mar 13, 2013
Odunharry:
yap..barrack is different 4m barrack..many police barracks i av seen are the same
hw my police barracks hav u being 2?
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by kenenath(m): 9:26am On Mar 13, 2013
shocked :oThis barrack life, like u said is very bad but come to think of it if u can make it with that kind of experience then u will be unbeatable in life cause u have seen the worst that life can offer.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by kemoolala: 9:31am On Mar 13, 2013
@odunharry, na police barracks u stayed b4 and dat is why u had these terrible experience, army barracks are not this bad at least i know of some barracks though av never lived there b4 but i know not as this bad. like 82 div in Enugu, ojoo in ibadan and ojo in lag.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 13, 2013
Did you know D'banj and K-switch stayed in the barracks? Yes! They stayed close to my house then and K-switch was also a close friend. Responsible and good people live in the barracks, you just have to decide which way to follow.
Re: Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. by patholaw: 9:34am On Mar 13, 2013
I don't know of others but all the Air Force base have been to are neat and don't look like anything the OP mentioned...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

If You Find This Boy,please Call This Number=0805-2675-667 / 12 Ways Will People React When They Hear You Have Hammered - Meme Collection / Cute! This Boy And His Dog Are Inseparable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.