Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating (13263 Views)

Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / Onitsha Bridge Is Vibrating And May Collapse / Niger Bridge Is Falling! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by slimyem: 9:38am On Mar 13, 2013
toba: How? do you drive or u were in a commercial rickety bus? undecided lipsrsealed
I drive!!
So tan?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 13, 2013
ba7man: I once stood on a bridge in Apapa and noticed it was vibrating too...I guess its a normal thing.
jump from the bridge so that we will know the level of vibration.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Cornel88(m): 9:42am On Mar 13, 2013
abes: I think it is normal, joints are not made to be rigid.
You no serious o
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by MillionDollars: 9:44am On Mar 13, 2013
justokey:

An expansion joint or movement joint is an assembly designed to safely absorb the heat-induced expansion and contraction of various construction materials, to absorb vibration[b][/b]...you don't need to be an engineer to know this.
y d lecture?!%-)
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by thelastPope(m): 9:49am On Mar 13, 2013
@op, please take this rumour/misleading story off! This will only cause confusion and cause more harm than good. You should neither peddle rumours or misleading stories like these nor promote them.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Macastro: 9:54am On Mar 13, 2013
justokey: Driving to work this morning, I witnessed a very scary scene at the 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos. The traffic was moving at a snail's pace as usual, when suddenly I was jolted by a sharp and tremendous vibration. I looked out and noticed that I was atop an expansion joint. What scared me most was that one side of the joint was noticeably vibrating. What I mean is that you could see one part swinging up and down. This happened at exactly the joint where the Lagos bound traffic from Adekunle meet the traffic from Oworoshonki. I was too shocked to take photos/video, perhaps if i have the courage to pass through there tomorrow i will do so.
. Oga pls check the meaning of expansion joint
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by saved: 9:58am On Mar 13, 2013
olu4life: hmmmn... I once heard that the vibration doesnt mean much. Abeg person wey sabi wella should educate mem
:- Every object has its elasticity . The tensile strength, the yeilding point and breaking point are all considered in the strength of materials test before they are considered as useful for any structural engineering. If the joints refuse to expand, contract and vibrate with reference to heat, cold and weight/stress, then the bridge may collapse by common resonance. All form of expansions during hot season and contractions during cold times, vibrations are all normal engineering parameters. People should not be scared while driving across. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by ELgordo(m): 10:00am On Mar 13, 2013
Maybe A lot of people are doing HARLEM SHAKE on the bridge! Damn# am doing the harlem shake now! Lolz
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Bgino(m): 10:01am On Mar 13, 2013
i still recall that when the tensile stress is more than the tensile strenght then u could notice a structural failure..this could be happening real soon..the bridge is overburdened by static vertical stress
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by amiskurie(m): 10:06am On Mar 13, 2013
born2fuck: I thought fashola has done some repairs on the bridge
how you one knw when you be born to dig.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 13, 2013
[size=16pt]If this bridge does NOT vibrate then it would have scattered long ago. All the vehicles plying the bridge vibrate. This vibration is transfered to the bridge which in turn vibrates. This vibration is dissipated at the structural joints with the support structure and the expansion joints which also help in thermal expansion. The vibration is normal, I have witnessed it a lot of times and I believe the vibration frequency has not reach 1/50 of the treshold frequency where the bridge can break off.

I agree that there are some structural defects on the bridge especially close to Adeniji junction. The structure has buckled at this point which I believe started due to combination of thermal fatigue (Cyclic effect) and poor expansion joint at these sections.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 13, 2013
Well, that the bridge is vibrating is not news. Infact it is not even an issue. Its a freaking bridge for crying out loud. Its not like its fully resting on the ground. Majority of the bridge is suspended and as such has what you call elasticity. To make u see what i mean, try taking a short cylindrical steel and try wiggling it in the air. Its very rigid right? Now take a very long piece of that same steel and place it on two wedges spaced apart. Now rapidly tap it in the middle and see whether it bounces or not.

That the bridge is vibrating is a perfectly normal thing. The expansion joints are also designed to behave in that way. That bridge has been in existence for over 20 years. I've not heard that it has collapsed before. So Nigerians get on with your life and stop flinching at every tiny spec of what might appear to you to be odd.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by anitank(f): 10:09am On Mar 13, 2013
Can the engineers please post a pic of what these expansion joints look like??

I like being practical when I learn new things so I'll be able to identify them in real life cheesy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by frankobaba(m): 10:10am On Mar 13, 2013
*Final Destination Part 6*
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 13, 2013
anitank: Can the engineers please post a pic of how these extentions look like??

I like being practical when I learn new things so I'll be able to identify them in real life cheesy
If you travel along 3MB or any long bridge, you will notice that your car is running into a "bump-like" or "gallop"at interval. Those gallops are the expansion joints for thermal expansion.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 13, 2013
If the bridge one collapse make in do, make we for get holidays for as long as they go build new one. Unless company go dey hire Helicopter services transport system HSTS cool choi dats a new acronym for Human Resourses. O boi I too much grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by mayanchi700(m): 10:20am On Mar 13, 2013
grin ;
wesley80: Long yawnnnnnnnnn! Perhaps your title should've read "is the third mainland bridge vibrating?" you need a handful of corroborators to come up with a declarative title like yours, for all I know you could've been high on early morning shekpe when you passed the bridge this morning! Did you also see a shark dancing etighi?
wot!!..did u knw frm sumwhere b4 ni
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by sirjec(m): 10:27am On Mar 13, 2013
Hey guys< a bridge is designed to vibrate. You should be scare of any bridge that does not vibrate instead
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by thelegend1(m): 10:37am On Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for the update. i guess the vibration was quite unusual for such a post. pls dont castigate him
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by nkemKalu: 10:43am On Mar 13, 2013
WE ARE ON TOP OF THE SITUATION
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by itsmayiela(m): 10:53am On Mar 13, 2013
Lets vote IBB in 2015 to help rebuild 3rd Mainland bridge (and possibly build 4th and 5th Mainland bridges)
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 13, 2013
the legend: Thanks for the update. i guess the vibration was quite unusual for such a post. pls dont castigate him

Yeah! Except he forgot to tell you that 3 BRTs and an 18 wheeler sped past him at that point in time. That would be enough explanation for a rumpus vibration.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by ba7man(m): 10:55am On Mar 13, 2013
ufotuko: jump from the bridge so that we will know the level of vibration.
After you. You're supposed to lead by example.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Lusola15: 10:56am On Mar 13, 2013
Na today
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by biafransoul: 10:58am On Mar 13, 2013
Coming in from Asaba this morning, I noticed that the River Niger bridge that connects the West and Old Eastern region is seriously vibrating and may collapse soon. The traffic on the already weakened old bridge is also a great concern even as the expansion ridges are already weakened by wear and tear. With the way things are now, the bridge may give way soon if nothing drastic is done about it.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 10:59am On Mar 13, 2013
Just looking at the thread title "Third Mainland Bridge is Vibrating" and i'm like "Duuh! The Third mainland bridge is ALWAYS vibrating". The only reason its not vibrating is that its already collapsed. Or for some reason, Lagos decides to Boycot the bridge.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by rafaha(m): 10:59am On Mar 13, 2013
In addition, the reason why the vibration is highly noticeable is because the expansion joint is at the support instead of mid-span of the bridge, the bridge has reach serviceability limit state but it does not mean it will collase soon.
BayoAA: [size=16pt]If this bridge does NOT vibrate then it would have scattered long ago. All the vehicles plying the bridge vibrate. This vibration is transfered to the bridge which in turn vibrates. This vibration is dissipated at the structural joints with the support structure and the expansion joints which also help in thermal expansion. The vibration is normal, I have witnessed it a lot of times and I believe the vibration frequency has not reach 1/50 of the treshold frequency where the bridge can break off.

I agree that there are some structural defects on the bridge especially close to Adeniji junction. The structure has buckled at this point which I believe started due to combination of thermal fatigue (Cyclic effect) and poor expansion joint at these sections.[/size]
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 13, 2013
biafran soul: Coming in from Asaba this morning, I noticed that the River Niger bridge that connects the West and Old Eastern region is seriously vibrating and may collapse soon. The traffic on the already weakened old bridge is also a great concern even as the expansion ridges are already weakened by wear and tear. With the way things are now, the bridge may give way soon if nothing drastic is done about it.

Mr Biafra, go find one place sit down. Just how do you know what seriously vibrating means. How many times have you crossed that bridge to know what serious vibration is. Of course its vibrating. Its a bridge Mr. It should vibrate.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by biafransoul: 11:07am On Mar 13, 2013
princefunmi:

Mr Biafra, go find one place sit down. Just how do you know what seriously vibrating means. How many times have you crossed that bridge to know what serious vibration is. Of course its vibrating. Its a bridge Mr. It should vibrate.
uchucha mi a gi onu ebe ahu. you are asking me how many times I ply a bridge that connects me to my father's house. let me ask you; do you know where onitsha is?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by nduchucks: 11:08am On Mar 13, 2013
Hmmmm. I wouldn't expect the noticeable vibration of a major bridge as a natural state of engineering affairs. I lived abroad for many years and never felt the vibration of any bridge or ever heard of any commuter with such an experience.

From the engineering stand point, periodic stimulus of a mechanical system, such as wind buffeting a bridge could cause vibrations. These vibrations, however, are more or less in harmony with the bridge's natural vibrations (which are really not supposed to be felt by motorists). If unchecked, the vibration can increase drastically, sending destructive, resonant vibrations traveling through a bridge in the form of torsional waves.

God forbid, but when de bridge fall down, make una no blame GEJ and the responsible minister. I believe say dat bridge na federal structure.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 13, 2013
slimyem: I drive!!
So tan?
u mean Keke Napep right?

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 13, 2013
Holly shit! I suggest i start going naval or aerial while passing, am afraid a vibrating bridge cant be de-vibrated. Lo! Ferry boat shld be ok 4 the journey!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Arrest Suspected Associates Of Tompolo / Primary School In Borno Named After Aisha Buhari / The Nigeria Defence Headquarters Launches Operation Whirls Stroke In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.