Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,976 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (64960 Views)

Guidelines In Obtaining Driver’s Licence For First-timers / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by tashanja(m): 7:50pm On Mar 14, 2013
Pls I am filling out the online form (for renewal), does anyone know what the A,B,D & j options represent under the options for 'Licence Class'.
My former lience was classed as E, which is presently not available for selection, so knowing the meaning of these would enable me choose what is most appropriate (wanted to choose B, but not sure if its the right one), pls help.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 14, 2013
My current license is classed as B. I believe it's for vehicles that weigh less than 3 tons.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 14, 2013
I just got this off the internet. Hope it helps you.

A: Motor-cycle
B: A motor vehicle of less than 3 ton gross weight other than motor-cycle commercial, taxi, stage carriage or omnibus
C: A motor vehicle of less than three ton gross weight other than motor-cycles
D: A motor vehicle other than motor-cycle, taxi, stage carriage or omnibus but excluding an articulated vehicle or vehicle drawing a trailer
E: A motor vehicle other than motor-cycle or articulated vehicle
F: Agricultural machines and tractors
G: Articulated vehicles
H: Earth moving vehicles
J: Special for physically handicapped persons
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Bryancrox(m): 8:26pm On Mar 14, 2013
okpara ugo:

Do not fall for conmen this is 2013!

FRAUDALERT!!!
sorry am not,am not askinq anybody 2 call me...Its jst a coment
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by olate: 8:37pm On Mar 14, 2013
tashanja: Pls I am filling out the online form (for renewal), does anyone know what the A,B,D & j options represent under the options for 'Licence Class'.
My former lience was classed as E, which is presently not available for selection, so knowing the meaning of these would enable me choose what is most appropriate (wanted to choose B, but not sure if its the right one), pls help.
yes u r having the same problem as i am.but the driving schl i went to inquire,the instructor said that i there is no more class E and that it has been changed to D. I am not sure of this but lets here frm others as well.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ibro2much(m): 8:44pm On Mar 14, 2013
Thanks everyone for their comment on Drivers licence thread.
Simply put,to get an original drivers licence these are the procedures to follow
(1)Log onto www.nigeriandriverslicence.org to download the application form
(2)Fill the form and print out the filled form
(3)Proceed to the bank with the bank paymenr code downloaded from the net to pay for the licence fee(N6350)
(4)Take the payment receipt to the nearest BIR/VIO office for verification of payment
(5)Get Approved by a registered driving school(driving school certificate).
The driving school test you and stand for you that you are qualified to drive.
(6)Go to the VIO office for eye test(to ascertain if you need a glasses when driving or not),traffic sign test(to ascertain if really an applicant understand traffic sign and can easily decode them)and defensive driving techniques/test.
NB. An applicant refers to someone that must have passed through a driving school or other driving training techniques and have been passed by them
Understanding english(spoken/written) is NOT a prerequisite for obtaining a drivers licence,what's most important is knowing how to drive and understanding the traffic sign and what it mean(traffic signs are universally accepted,the same sign you see in an english speaking country is what you will see in a french speaking or arabic speaking country)therefore,nairalanders should not confuse someone that does not understand english with someone that doesn't know the traffic signs.
......Part 2 of the post will be available when I finish washing my uniform...

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ibro2much(m): 8:46pm On Mar 14, 2013
Simply put,to get an original drivers licence these are the procedures to follow
(3)Proceed to the bank with the bank paymenr code downloaded from the net to pay for the licence fee(N6350)
(4)Take the payment receipt to the nearest BIR/VIO office for verification of payment
(6)Go to the VIO office for eye test(to ascertain if you need a glasses when driving or not),traffic sign test(to ascertain if really an applicant understand traffic sign and can easily decode them)and defensive driving techniques/test.
NB. An applicant refers to someone that must have passed through a driving school or other driving training techniques and have been passed by them
Understanding english(spoken/written) is NOT a prerequisite for obtaining a drivers licence,what's most important is knowing how to drive and understanding the traffic sign and what it mean(traffic signs are universally accepted,the same sign you see in an english speaking country is what you will see in a french speaking or arabic speaking country)therefore,nairalanders should not confuse someone that does not understand english with someone that doesn't know the traffic signs.
......Part 2 of the post will be available when I finish washing my uniform...***AR***
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ibro2much(m): 8:46pm On Mar 14, 2013
......Part 2 of the post will be available when I finish washing my uniform...***AR***
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Tinyemeka(m): 10:12pm On Mar 14, 2013
VIO ke? Is it a type of lab test? undecided

The two times I paid for a driver's license (2008 first issue and Jan this year because I didn't know it had expired since June the previous year) I never got within 100m of a license office. A colleague collected my photos, some bio-data and 5k cash on both occasions. License came back abt 3 days later.

Does this make the license fake? undecided
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 11:13pm On Mar 14, 2013
As the time this post was created, I had just walked out the FRSC office in Ibadan, logged on then saw this thread. :/ network no let me comment.

This is what the lady in the Ibadan office told me. Buy a form of N100, then fill a form manually or online, then fill a form manually(with their assistance) or online, then go pay N6350 in Sterling Bank Dugbe, come back submit the form, go for verification at the VIO office. Then wait to get called for capture. Then wait 8weeks to be given a temporary Driver's llicence. Then wait 2-3 to get the original one. (Well she also said that for 2 months no capture has been done, because there are no materials, because they are brought from Abuja #myoga@thetopcheesycheesywink
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Venchy: 1:16am On Mar 15, 2013
Tinyemeka: VIO ke? Is it a type of lab test? undecided

The two times I paid for a driver's license (2008 first issue and Jan this year because I didn't know it had expired since June the previous year) I never got within 100m of a license office. A colleague collected my photos, some bio-data and 5k cash on both occasions. License came back abt 3 days later.

You didn''t know it had expired. ...lol. ...sorry about that, is there no reminder from the government or OGA AT THE TOP WON'T SEND IT OUT?

Wrong leaders, they turn simple things to complications and make the life of citizens to living hell.

INCOMPETENT OGA AT THE TOP ARE RUNNING
THINGS that's why ORDINARY drivers licence have become a serious problem.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:17am On Mar 15, 2013
IS ONLY THIS LAG N AOMETIMES IN OGUN DAT NIG CITIZENS ARE BE UESD LIKE SLAVES IN D HANDS OF VIO, hw will some one not b carrying a fake lic? wen d processes are too combersome? wen bus drivers are required to go online for application? or is the tine workers spend on d process - u will ve to go the 3times b4 its complete, dats wen evrytin work well? is it d 3months u mayb needed b4 it will b u turn ti capture? hmmmm i am tired for lagos state n Frsc, if they do dis they should jx stop cus its still fresh. mind u spend more than 10k to get one against 5k, y mine i nigerian to b enslaved?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by presegsADESIDA(m): 6:45am On Mar 15, 2013
trix!:
Some people seem to have filled the form and paid the fee, but Nobody here has said they have the new licence.
please is there ANYONE who has the new licence?

I have the new licence.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by presegsADESIDA(m): 6:50am On Mar 15, 2013
ItsModella: I just got this off the internet. Hope it helps you.

A: Motor-cycle
B: A motor vehicle of less than 3 ton gross weight other than motor-cycle commercial, taxi, stage carriage or omnibus
C: A motor vehicle of less than three ton gross weight other than motor-cycles
D: A motor vehicle other than motor-cycle, taxi, stage carriage or omnibus but excluding an articulated vehicle or vehicle drawing a trailer
E: A motor vehicle other than motor-cycle or articulated vehicle
F: Agricultural machines and tractors
G: Articulated vehicles
H: Earth moving vehicles
J: Special for physically handicapped persons

I have a class D of the new driver license.

Which one do you think is still the best?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Tinyemeka(m): 7:10am On Mar 15, 2013
Venchy:

You didn''t know it had expired. ...lol. ...sorry about that, is there no reminder from the government or OGA AT THE TOP WON'T SEND IT OUT?

Wrong leaders, they turn simple things to complications and make the life of citizens to living hell.

INCOMPETENT OGA AT THE TOP ARE RUNNING
THINGS that's why ORDINARY drivers licence have become a serious problem.

Sorry. Not that I wasn't aware, I forgot. I received some alerts but those were reminders for my vehicle license renewals. Kept postponing them to when I had the chance to go for the renewal.

You know I don't want to go and do something and my Oga at the top would say another thing later. So I was waiting for my Oga at the top to give me the go-ahead. Das all!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Tinyemeka(m): 7:15am On Mar 15, 2013
presegsADESIDA:

I have a class D of the new driver license.

Which one do you think is still the best?

How would you be asking this kind of question? Is you a learner?! undecided My friend go and get a class H license.

I only suggested sha O. My Oga at the top may say something different.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 7:38am On Mar 15, 2013
Tinyemeka:

How would you be asking this kind of question? Is you a learner?! undecided My friend go and get a class H license.

I only suggested sha O. My Oga at the top may say something different.
Or a Class J cheesy. Oga @ the top just confirmed it!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 8:21am On Mar 15, 2013
blank: I have done mine. It took less than 30 days at Sura. Now, i have my temporary one that will expire this month.

I was there yesterday. They don't intend rolling over the temporary permit so once it expires,you hold on until your permanent license is ready for collection.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 8:23am On Mar 15, 2013
Tinyemeka: VIO ke? Is it a type of lab test? undecided

Very fake,bro. You could even have it done for 3k.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by bravolad(m): 9:08am On Mar 15, 2013
For owners of private vehicles, they are issued with the Class B license type.
olate: yes u r having the same problem as i am.but the driving schl i went to inquire,the instructor said that i there is no more class E and that it has been changed to D. I am not sure of this but lets here frm others as well.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by DeeAe: 11:55am On Mar 15, 2013
-Haven't read anything about birth certificate, or age verification, so age doesn't matter in Nigeria again?

-I guess I have a fake one undecided, how will these vio people know its fake, and what will they do when they find out?

Adding to topic, waiting a month for just a temporary license is silly!!!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Tokotaya: 4:11pm On Mar 15, 2013
I paid and went through the tests since one year ago, I have not been called for image capture. I have been there like umpteenth time, wasting time and money. They keep giving me time extensions, and promising to call me when they are ready to capture my image. It's hellish.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 17, 2013
Tokotaya: I paid and went through the tests since one year ago, I have not been called for image capture. I have been there like umpteenth time, wasting time and money. They keep giving me time extensions, and promising to call me when they are ready to capture my image. It's hellish.
y u no pass tru sonebody, i did mine witin a month, but i still went for d test o, i went there jx twice, d persi will alart u wen to come for d vio testing then u make photocopy n he will still alart wen to come for capturing n d time to dat they attend to u on time, but na moni o.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by blank(f): 1:31am On Mar 18, 2013
aieromon:

I was there yesterday. They don't intend rolling over the temporary permit so once it expires,you hold on until your permanent license is ready for collection.

Thanks. You just saved me an unnecessary trip.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ivoryhouse(m): 8:28pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dee_Ae: -Haven't read anything about birth certificate, or age verification, so age doesn't matter in Nigeria again?

-I guess I have a fake one undecided, how will these vio people know its fake, and what will they do when they find out?

Adding to topic, waiting a month for just a temporary license is silly!!!

They will charge you N20,000 for using a fake driver's license.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ivoryhouse(m): 8:32pm On Mar 29, 2013
I went there last week and after spending the whole day (10am - 3pm) they gave me a filming date ;sometime in November! Incredible joke!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 9:30am On Mar 30, 2013
ivoryhouse: I went there last week and after spending the whole day (10am - 3pm) they gave me a filming date ;sometime in November! Incredible joke!

Which of the centres is this?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Odunnu: 2:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
How would you know the fake one?
Just this week, a colleague's wife got a DL. Thing is she doesnt drive, didnt even do any of the things I see here as prelims. but she got one for N6k under 8days. No clear difference with mine
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ivoryhouse(m): 8:32pm On Mar 31, 2013
aieromon:

Which of the centres is this?

FRCN ojodu berger
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by kingk(m): 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
Mannnnn my license expired since Feb and I'm a transporter, it made me to stop work cos i hate the police and don't want anything to put me in their hand...... all this license stuffs is crazy yet i don't know how to renew it..
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by DrBlack(m): 4:33am On Apr 04, 2013
Anayordike: Thank God this post is coming on at this time. It’s no doubt that since the announcement by th e FRSC of the new DL and the vehicle plate number, Nigerians have not hidden their fear, displeasure and doubts especially the manner the FRSC has been going about it. Many thought the intervention of the House or Rep. would at least reduce the cost and sufferings which fellow Nigeria will have to face before they are able to meet the criteria being laid down by the FRSC.
As for me I tried to get a fresh DL for myself since I misplaced mine through a friend who could not explain what happened. First I went to FRSC website only to discover there is no online form for fresh DL applicants. I also discovered, fresh DL applicants must go through a driving school who will later present them to FRSC etc. I was able to locate one nearer to my area in the list of list of driving schools approved by FRSC. I obtained application with N1000, Learner’s permit, N600, and Medical certificate from a government Hospital with N2000. We went to the FRSC office only to realize the driving school sponsoring me (so to say) his signature has not been uploaded by the people at Abuja. I went home disappointed.
The man, later connect me with some FRSC officers, he told me I will have to pay N10, 000 instead of the official N6, 350 and I agreed. Only for one of them to tell me later when I called him that it’s now N15, 000. I told him I can’t pay such for a thing that costs N6, 350. Just few days ago, a friend introduced someone to me who promised to get me the old DL for N6000 which will expire in 2015. According to him it will be easier to renew it then. I told him I don’t want fake DL and he assured me it’s not a fake. I have given him the money, expecting him to deliver it to me any moment from now. I will have to verify its authenticity when I see it.
In my own opinion, the FRSC is not helping matters at all. They seem to forget that it’s easier to make new policies in Naija ; but not easy to implement. They should go back to their drawing board. They seem to be taking more than they can chew. Does DL actually prevent road accident? The answer is capital NO!
how did u confirm that the 6k DL is not fake pls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Nigerian Made This Tv Stand From A 2017 Mercedes Benz Gle Bumper (photos) / Most Popular Luxury Car Brands And Where They Are Produced(photos) / Help, I Bashed My Friend's Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.