Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal (14756 Views)

The Obamas' Trip To Former Slaving Port In Senegal (Pictures & Video) / Senegal Elections: Macky Sall Leads Over Incombent Abdoulaye WADE / Thousands In Senegal Protest As Court Grant Wade Right To Seek 3rd Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by kgbd(m): 11:19pm On Mar 15, 2013
DAKAR: A student leader said that three university students set fire to themselves on the campus of Senegal’s largest university to protest changes in the way credits are being counted in the college’s geography department.

Seydou Niang, who organised a weeklong hunger strike, said that three of his classmates doused themselves in gasoline and set themselves alight on Friday. Niang spoke on the telephone from the hospital, where he had accompanied the three. He said all three had survived, but one had suffered severe burns and was in intensive care.

The University of Cheikh Anta Diop was once one of the most prestigious universities in West Africa. It has fallen into disrepair and the campus is frequently immobilised both by student protests and strikes by the low-paid professors.

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/d52ea1a1-ee72-4720-9855-a1af8514e51e.aspx

1 Like

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by kgbd(m): 11:22pm On Mar 15, 2013
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by kgbd(m): 11:23pm On Mar 15, 2013
How is harming one's self a form of protest?

3 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by enyieuna: 12:37pm On Mar 16, 2013
immolation is not the answer how sad
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Jadela(m): 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
kgbd: How is harming one's self a form of protest?

I wonder o.
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Jerrygotswagg(m): 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
I never knew that the University Teach student are to be foolish......how human being go just set he or herself ablaze.....Chai this kind sweet life na people dey reason to die
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by boron10(m): 12:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
Goes to show that education does not guarantee wisdom and civil behavior

6 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by olabamiji09(m): 12:43pm On Mar 16, 2013
Those student don chop craze......if not, why den go just set fire on themselves as if they no even get future at all.
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by ezedolar: 12:43pm On Mar 16, 2013
That is what their religion tout them, na the same people

11 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by dilim247: 12:44pm On Mar 16, 2013
coolSuch things don't happen in 9ja

1 Like

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by sureteeboy(m): 12:45pm On Mar 16, 2013
even if its later adjusted, are they going to enjoy it.
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
ezedolar: That is what their religion tout them, na the same people

I smell the RELIGION OF PISS.

9 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Rick9(m): 12:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
[size=48pt] I dont want to say one thing Now ... [/size] [size=48pt] Then my ... OGA... will say another thing[/size]

3 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by LoveAmaka88(f): 12:54pm On Mar 16, 2013
While I find it sad for the families who have to suffer through it, self immolation is a courageous way to protest rather than being violence towards others or destroying property. It is using your body as a sacrifice to the message you want to deliver. As you can see, we now all realize the severity of the students' plight in Dakar as a result of these acts. Instead of calling them foolish, one would hope the conversation soon turns to the deficiencies in our universities. I pray for them and the cause they espouse.

11 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Temismith(f): 12:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
Wat is happening? Why all dis suicide here and dere? Abi is there something about death dat we dont know? Anyway sha, they have gone to meet d oga @ d top. Rip.
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by stolenstone: 12:56pm On Mar 16, 2013
Na wa oooo!!! na setting yourself on fire things dey reign now ooo. When will one of this our thieving politians and legis-looters set themselves ablaze in protest against corruption and embezzlements of public funds

3 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by gunuvi(m): 12:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
Good for them that they didn't die.
They have survived so they can be a good example to other lunatics that going to the extreme no dey pay. I am imagining how they will be reeling in pain now and the shame that they will go through cos of their disfigured faces now. #Hehehehe.

1 Like

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by princemolak(m): 12:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
Life don tire dem ni jawe, and perhaps it might me due to Pressure as Raju in 3 idiots will always say

Need A Job? Here Are some Business Opportunities for You http://onlinemoneydon.com/need-a-job/
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Jerrygotswagg(m): 12:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
One word ........."Foolishness"
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by iamswizz(m): 1:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by naijathings(m): 1:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
grin dem try
so this is the outcome of their long meeting and agreement.

what shall it profit a student to read all the books in the library
and still suffer from lack of common sense?

2 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by Ogaatthetop3: 1:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
Rubbish! They did not want to die! They should have poured more petrol on themselves. They think that after doing that, their CPGA will skyrocket while in their hospital beds?
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by chucky234(m): 1:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
Daftness in full play mode
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by gunuvi(m): 1:05pm On Mar 16, 2013
LoveAmaka88: While I find it sad for the families who have to suffer through it, self immolation is a courageous way to protest rather than being violence towards others or destroying property. It is using your body as a sacrifice to the message you want to deliver. As you can see, we now all realize the severity of the students' plight in Dakar as a result of these acts. Instead of calling them foolish, one would hope the conversation soon turns to the deficiencies in our universities. I pray for them and the cause they espouse.
Oh! U are very correct. Pls can you help volunteer yourself by setting yourself ablaze to send a serious message to GEJ to reverse the state pardon granted Mr(s) Alamesigha.
Pls help us na..

10 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by vizboy(m): 1:11pm On Mar 16, 2013
This kind thing no fit happen for naija. Na so them like death
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by rezzy: 1:15pm On Mar 16, 2013
Straight ticket to hell, Thank God they survived. Why on earth will i kill myself to protest? They would have left them to burn to ashes. Rubbish
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by skotch(m): 1:16pm On Mar 16, 2013
It is only one particular religion would have its members engage in such extreme stupid act....We all knw shaaa..i wouldn't wanna say smtin nw nd my oga at d top will say anoda tin.
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by safarigirl(f): 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2013
kgbd: How is harming one's self a form of protest?
you dey mind? Dem think sey dem be Tibetan monks.

People should stop learning from these Arabs and Asians, in black Africa, NOBODY supports immolation and nobody cares if you die (save family and friends) so get real

4 Likes

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by okechukwu2013: 1:36pm On Mar 16, 2013
shocked Come oh dey wan carry this Arab and Asian repulsive culture enter Africa? Well little wonder Senegal is a muslim country (predominantly) It is the same way their brother in the north brought in suicide mission enter here. Like brother like brother I dare say

1 Like

Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by ninja4life(m): 1:37pm On Mar 16, 2013
Nobody should try dat in Nigeria cos d oga at d top dos not give a damn dats all.
Back 2 d topic i am happy dat dey are alive let us dey luk if dere own oga at d top dos not giv a damn abt dem lik deir counterpart in nigeria
Re: 3 Students Set Themselves On Fire In Senegal by chucksbadt(m): 1:39pm On Mar 16, 2013
its obvious dey wer in a hurry to go meet their *oga at the top* grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South Africa's Eskom Is Now World’s Biggest Sulfur Dioxide Emitter - Bloomberg / Gaddafi's youngest son and 3 grandchildren killed in NATO air strike / French President's Camel Killed And Eaten In Mali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.