Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (41515 Views)

Poll: Which country would you rather live in, given the choice?

The United States?: 62% (110 votes)
The United Kingdom?: 37% (66 votes)
This poll has ended

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Go Down)

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by SeanT21(f): 8:41pm On Mar 26, 2008
Battle Of The Countries

Americans feel they are better than everyone!! Some boy at the club the other night said that America is better than The United Kingdom(mostly england). I am begging you if you have travelled to the United Kingdom and the US please tell me which is better. Which do you prefer living in?

Frankly, i am dying to travel to the UK especially London. America ain't all that to me!! I love the way they speak up there!!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by SeanT21(f): 7:48pm On Mar 27, 2008
someone please
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by tpia: 12:13am On Mar 28, 2008
it's not a battle, but personally I'd say one has to take into account the fact that the US is bigger.

More diverse too.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheSly: 12:19am On Mar 28, 2008
United state!!
The land of opportunities

God bless America!! cool

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by danity: 12:22am On Mar 28, 2008
I prefer London. I'm in love with the UK!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 3:43am On Mar 28, 2008
who cares about some fish and chip, tea and crumpet eating brits. everyone swagga jacks american culture, including brits. the only thing the UK is good for is alcoholics.

2 Likes

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 8:37am On Mar 28, 2008
I prefer the UK.

The only thing spoiling the UK (Especially London) is the amount of ghetto Nigerians who think that they can behave the same way in Lagos over here.

However there parts of the Capital where such types can be avoided.

Love America. I have been all over the US, in fact I just got back from NY a month ago and I am also scheduled to stop in LA for a few days in September as part of a world trip that I am really excited about. grin grin cool

To live in America? I am not sure I could handle it although I am steadily getting sick and tired of living in London and I am looking to relocate to the countryside or to maybe one of the villages inside London, like Dulwich or Chiswick etc.

The American arrogance does not bother me too much but what does irk me is the need for some of them to denigrate and abuse other countries in order to lift themselves up.

Most notably though, I only seem to get this stank attitude from Nigerian Americans and not others. The real Americans are quite pleasant to deal with. grin grin grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2008
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, yanky all day.
yanky smells different. yanky babes different. not as stuck up as the girls over here. personally, the girls dress better.
almost all the cities in yanky have something going on there unlike england. London, Birmingham, and maybe manchester then there's nowhere else to go to.

shopping nko? na yanky be the place to buy just about anything u want.

the UK does my head-in, a couple of years ago, i went to notting hill carnival for the first time, guess what happened, some good for nothing nigerians were fighting. i went the following year and same thing happened. needless to say, i stopped going to the carnival.

compare a yanky naija babe and a british naija babe, theres a big difference. the yanky babe is much more appealing. sorry ooo. but na my opinion.

the only thing i dislike about yankee na all those blankets wey the guys dey wear in the name of fashion. then they call us europeans gay for wearing slim fit shirt and fitting jeans.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Blatant: 4:34pm On Mar 28, 2008
America is good for shopping and holidays but I couldn't live there.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by naijadiva2(f): 6:31pm On Mar 28, 2008
i've never been to the UK but i think they(uk and us) are similar in almost everything. its just the accent that's different.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Arielle: 11:23pm On Mar 28, 2008
I love all things british. Their accent, their wit. Except their food and their abysmal weather!!!
I would like to live in a small, pretty english village, with rambling country lanes, roses growing over my front door and fairies living at the bottom of my lush garden!!! (Okay I read too much Enid Blyton as a child. I don't believe in fairies)
I think the shopping is better in the UK, though.
But America is still the land of opportunities where anyone can be anything if you work hard.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Bwestind: 12:01am On Mar 29, 2008
I pick my home as the best. Less taxes cool  Seriously though, Canada seems like a good country,the US doesn't have the healthcare of Canada and the UK. But the UK is expensive and you don't really get your moneys worth when it comes to buying homes,electronics etc. Also I've talk to friends and family who said they didn't feel at home in the uk,despite the fact that our country had things in common with the uk. In the US. you can become rich if you work hard unlike anywhere else. Plus there are so many stores and companies competing for your dollars that nearly everyone who has a job can afford the basics in America. Canada is similar to the U.S. but with better healthcare.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by chiogo(f): 12:23am On Mar 29, 2008
Although i 'hate' America, I've never been to the UK and from what i hear, they're pretty much the same because white Americans
all immigrated from Europe anywayz so their ancestors are from England, London, etc.
So, i'd rather stick to the devil i kn0w better. The american accent cld be irritatin' at times but the British
accent does crack me up for real. . . I think their food is the same t00.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by oziomatv(m): 3:37pm On Mar 29, 2008
I love US twice more than the UK. Dealing with that bad weather raining all the time, you have to be going on walking stick as an umbrella.
Then the naija ghetto? Nigerians selling in the street as if they're in Agege market. the ugliness of the ladies, over 40 there is no more attractive on like the Americans age is just a number a 60yrs can stand your privates. They crucifies Fashion as if they're paid to do so. Right hand drive is another confussion.
The US they're cool modernized planet of its own, has their own culture and 50yrs advance to other Europeans. They put passion and fantasy in all they do. they make things to look fun even when it means dying, while a British will make things more serious even when it's not call for.
If you stay with an American after some hours you start feeling like an American but stay with a British for decades you still has the feeling that you're an IGBOMAN showing that no one accepts you.

The only thing to learn in UK is their LANGUAGE while the Americans we teach you their way of life makes you look like them.
The British is more or less like an Italian who only get closer to you if you're capable of breathing on your own, if not you're a BROKE NIGGER.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by SeanT21(f): 7:18pm On Mar 29, 2008
Dang. If the UK is that bad then why do the most americans plan on leaving america and living in London or Paris.

The truth is that most white americans think that they are better than black, spanish or Indian americans. Racism still go on in America. Plus most americans are lazy as hell. That is why most americans are obese.

Do Racism still go on in the UK?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Grimez(f): 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2008
well basically, i live in england buh i had a quick trip to NY a few mnths ago nd it was awesome!! da weather, da shopping, da accents (which i adore) buh one thing i cant stand is da obesity!!! apart 4rm dat, england nd US r pretty much da same in da sense of culture (or lack of it), crime, dress sense nd all dat.

it's a gr8 holiday destination buh sumwer to mek a home? hmm undecided
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by naijadiva2(f): 7:32pm On Mar 29, 2008
SeanT21:

Dang. If the UK is that bad then why do the most americans plan on leaving america and living in London or Paris.

The truth is that most white americans think that they are better than black, spanish or Indian americans. Racism still go on in America. Plus most americans are lazy as hell. That is why most americans are obese.

Do Racism still go on in the UK?

i think a lot of americans are pressed to leave the country to go live in europe is because of the need for a change of environment. they don't want to go to africa because its too hot, they don't want to go to asia cuz is crowed, they don't want to go to south/central america because they don't speak spanish. they want something that's more close to their lifestyle and a lot of americans think that they europeans in general are more advance in technology, fashion and the likes.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Cougar: 9:26am On Mar 31, 2008
united kingdom rocks!!!

london is 500000 times better than america. there are so many other factors that places london higher on the rung than america. i have been to american and i wasn't really impressed by what i saw. the whole place is a joke .
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by iice(f): 10:24am On Mar 31, 2008
Arielle:

I love all things british. Their accent, their wit. Except their food and their abysmal weather!!!
I would like to live in a small, pretty english village, with rambling country lanes, roses growing over my front door and fairies living at the bottom of my lush garden!!! (Okay I read too much Enid Blyton as a child. I don't believe in fairies)
I think the shopping is better in the UK, though.
But America is still the land of opportunities where anyone can be anything if you work hard.

Ditto cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 12:47pm On Mar 31, 2008
@poster

Sorry we do not feel better.  We feel smarter and braver.  Evidenced by the ability to whoop their arses at the famous "Boston Tea" party if you can recall.  The ability to chase your timber-legged queen in her insatiable quest for more colonies while you all keep drinking tea. Shey una like tea well well? grin  We had a Boston Tea Party in New England for inside America here.  Una no like am? grin

Lazy colonialists!  Always looking for which country to enslave for 99 years so "charlie" will be acting as "tampon" prince inside that ugly potted plant called "Camilla"!  I don't even want to imagine how that her "region" will look like. . . like prince Charlie's face of course! grin

Una no dey tire to sign treaty?  If you guys are not careful. . .we will have to send you to Iran next!  Lazy people!

UNA WOR WOR!  Always with one skin disease or the other. . . .say na freckles!

Tufiakwa! cheesy

We are big and beaurrrrrrrrrrrrrrriful! cool  Huge breasts to die for! tongue Never mind the steroids stories. . .all na lie! grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 12:57pm On Mar 31, 2008
@poster

I have lots of family leaving over there that I visit regularly. . . those people dey suffer too much.  In a nutshell, two people can never be in the kitchen at the same time.  It is called face me a face you. . .or come out make I enter kind of life style. . .extremely suffocating.  Tell these people make them show you where Nigerians deey live for Uk and where Nigerians deey live for US!  You will not even think twice!  You can't even breathe.  Anytime I come back. . .I always have one skin problem or the other or ma yansh go scratch me with some serious yeast the size of grapes falling out of ma arse for weeks for sharing toilets with the whole neighbourhood! cheesy  Serious intravenous anti and uncle biotics I have to be on!  Now I deey carry ma own toilet when I visit them for thia. cheesy

Infact. . . I can never live there.  Only to visit since ma people dey for thia. 

BOY!  THEY ARE UGLY!  WITH VERY BAD SETS OF SOME KIND OF RABBIT TEETH!  Always talking like they have swallowed half of their tongues. . . . half and half words with extremely gutteral sounds which are inaudible!  Even ebonics better pass!

Nothing dey for thia!  UK na for people when no fit get visa come US!  That na Nigeria backyard!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 31, 2008
America all the wayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!! cool A representative democracy is far much better for me than a monarchical system of governance.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Blatant: 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2008
almondjoy, you too talk.
the people you know are the ones who live in those kind of places. and such places are only common in London. It's mainly illegals who cant move out who live in such squalid conditions.

Nothing dey for thia! UK na for people when no fit get visa come US! That na Nigeria backyard!

absolutely wrong. most of us here can go to US anytime we want but we chose to live here. Many Africans in the US work have to work for about 18hrs: what kind of life is that?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by londoner: 1:39pm On Apr 01, 2008
I think it really depends on which type of person you are. I grew up wanting to live in America, but after spending months there and travelling around, it made me appreciate the UK. People from the Uk tend to have their own minds and opinions. I find the average American to be like a zombie, they are told what to think and are waaaay too emotional for me.

I do think that America is definately the place for more opportunity whatever the field. I cant stand US TV though, they tend to talk down to the viewers which I find patronising. They dont promote thought or personal development, they are more interested in grooming simple minded consumers, sorry I find Americans to be very dull where conversation is concerned and very insular, as they shun exposure to anything outside America and are proud of their ignorance. The quality conversations I had in America were not with Americans, but people from Europe/Asia etc.

Also, I think blind patriotism in the US stunts Americans, they never seriously question their leadership , in the UK we do this all the time, we see it as our right. I prefer the European way of life when it comes to family, I feel too many Americans are striving for the dream that they neglect family life, always trying to keep up with the Jones's whereas in the UK people tend to march to the beat of their own drum when it comes to home life, we prioritise family more.
I dislike the Uk weather and the fact that its too expensive and you have too work much harder to see what you are working for.

So I would choose the UK, for education and to grow up to form my own ideas, but would spend time in the US to progress my career and live a better standard of life for a while, then I would leave the US to enjoy my new found wealth elsewhere, lol

2 Likes

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 3:38pm On Apr 01, 2008
Blatant:

almondjoy, you too talk.
the people you know are the ones who live in those kind of places. and such places are only common in London. It's mainly illegals who can't move out who live in such squalid conditions.

Nothing dey for thia! UK na for people when no fit get visa come US! That na Nigeria backyard!

absolutely wrong. most of us here can go to US anytime we want but we chose to live here. Many Africans in the US work have to work for about 18hrs: what kind of life is that?

I hear you!  I too talk. . . I agree.  People I know live outside London and none of them is illegal! They are removed from civilization with only some kinds of farmlike settlements around.  No life, no entertainment.  Yes,we work 18-24 hours but check out where and how we live.  We can afford to take vacations while you sleep and enjoy your 5 hours of work. . 5 days a week!  Most of you never take vacations or go out for any kind of entertainment except rent movies to watch at home except Nigerian parties.

Next time look in a plane on your way to Nigeria and you can easily tell which sets are from UK and which sets are from the US!  One smells of austerity, the other-prosperity!  I don't need to tell you which is which.

Thank God we all have choices.  UK? Lai Lai!  Too much of a dreary environment for me.  Lots of fake people. . .smiling with cold hearts!  Too boring for my liking!  Too ugly I say. . .no sense of fashion, make up or grooming!

Hmmmmmmmmmm!  Very drab!

Can't you see the way Nairalanders from UK look and sound as compared to the way the ones who live in the US sound.

UK. . .timid and unmotivated.

US. . .confident and full of life!

Go figure! kiss

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by amsky(m): 5:43pm On Apr 01, 2008
@ almondjoy

i beg to disagree my dear. I live here, i am neither poor nor pauverty striken. I live in a big house too, got my own parking and all that.
I do not know how ''US Nairalanders look or sound better '' than their British counterparts. Loads of people go on vacation here too if you ask me. I do alot of that myself between july and september each year. I really do not know what you mean by all that you have ''said'' here.

@ topic
I think it's a matter of what one thinks is important to him/her. For me, the UK is okay. The only problem i have is the high rate of immorality,which i know abounds even in the United States. For me, If your place of abode does you justice, nice. I have been to the US(Los Angeles) once, and it honestly did not make much of a difference to me.

I think it's different strokes for different folks.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 8:21pm On Apr 01, 2008
amsky:

@ almondjoy

i beg to disagree my dear. I live here, i am neither poor nor pauverty striken. I live in a big house too, got my own parking and all that.
I do not know how ''US Nairalanders look or sound better '' than their British counterparts. Loads of people go on vacation here too if you ask me. I do alot of that myself between july and september each year. I really do not know what you mean by all that you have ''said'' here.

@ topic
I think it's a matter of what one thinks is important to him/her. For me, the UK is okay. The only problem i have is the high rate of immorality,which i know abounds even in the United States. For me, If your place of abode does you justice, nice. I have been to the US(Los Angeles) once, and it honestly did not make much of a difference to me.

I think it's different strokes for different folks.

You are only one of the few ones jare. The rest still live in Mungo Park love shacks! Ask them. I am sure you see them. Please not all are like you. Majority live in poverty. You are an exception. One thing I can't understand is how most can stay there for like 20 years and still cannot drive. . . especially the females. You still see them slugging Tesco bags in some mini buggy wheels all over the streets over there. Even in the cold! shocked

That environment does not forster independence and enterprise at all.

Like you wrote different strokes for different folks. We are all happy with our choices and that is the most important thing! kiss
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by otele(m): 9:13pm On Apr 01, 2008
i've been in the UK all my life. i have been to thew states time and again. i can tell you this, , , i'll rather be a british citizen any day than be a US citizen. it may be easier to get money in the states. but money is not everything. and by the way, Britain is not a poor country. those you see in the UK without cars is really their choice. most of them are happy with the transport system especially in london. most londoners will rather not own cars. even those who do, dont use them everyday.

and talking about poverty, the US has more poor people than the UK. there is greater gap btw the rich and the poor in the US than the UK. london is a leveler as the saying goes. people get by. crime is not as high as in the US. UK is simple. better roads, better health care (hillary clinton and obama are trying to adopt a health care method close to the british method) watch the documentary movie sicko by michael moore to understand the horror of american health care system.

the british schools are also better regulated than the american schools. yes, the US may have a few ivy league great schools, but pick an average american school against an average british schools, the average american(not nigerian turned americans) will want to come to UK for education.

sports . . UK is better (at least football which is the world's #1 sport)
politics . . . british system is better . . look at the american system, see the destructive primaries
only an intelligent person can emerge as prime minister in the UK b/c it takes a lot of intelligence to face the parliament in a weekly gruelling prime minister's question time.

race relations. . . the UK is better b/c most british cities do not have the 'black neighbourhoods' and even 'black churches' that segregated america has (except may be london and birmingham)

organisation. . .the UK is better organised. everyone knows that

violence/security . . . we all know this. . . guns are sold in the US as pure water is sold in nigeria. any deranged student can wake up one day and fire guns into the air,killing people and then himself. lol.

with these and more, i do strongly opine that the UK on the average, other things being equal, is by far a better place to live than the US

thank you
_______________________________________________otele cool

4 Likes

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by amsky(m): 10:20pm On Apr 01, 2008
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almondjoy!!!!! When last did you visit those relatives of yours?

I would rather hop on a bus that drive sometimes you know. Most of the guys here have got cars, but the transport system is organised in such a way that you can get by really well without a car. Even my husband gets on the train to work sometimes.
There are lots of people who you see with ''Tesco'' and ''Costco'' bags here that have got nice cars. I know a lady(Nigerian) who has a 4wheel drive but would rather take the tram.

Like Otele said, London is a leveler. You really do not know who is who till you really get to know them. You may see me hop on the bus with my baby in her buggy and think i'm just any kind o'person. But just stalk me to my house, and you'll be ''amazed'' at what you'd find out about me. cool wink

It's all about what one wants.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by otele(m): 11:16pm On Apr 01, 2008
tell them cool

also tell them that tony blair took a train from a train station to his 'village' after he handed over to Gordon brown
escort was just a few men who followed him to the train station where he got out with his wife and entered the train just like other passengers. it was live on tv and you could see some passers-by where shocked to see blair in the train station just likt them too.

if bush is to pass thru new york, i'm sure they'll close down manhattan for the whole day grin grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by SeanT21(f): 11:42pm On Apr 01, 2008
at Odele

I do agree with you on the bush part. Ex In London prince harry goes off to war and fight for his country.
In the US Brenda and Babara Bush sit in the white house and eat. They do nothing.

The average American is lazy than the average English men. All American wants to do is get up and watch football(not soccer).

about the guns and crime in America. I just read a story on CNN Crime where a man killed his 4 kids and his wife--another story a man in Maryland drown his children in the bathtub. Sometime i think that American are crazy as hell. They don't know wrong from right.
I love America and I love the UK, but when i get older and get rich i am moving to the UK. While i am there i will visit Sexy Prince Harry and Handsome William.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:16am On Apr 02, 2008
Almond I support you well well for this one
UK people na so so miserly miserly
nickle and diming everything.
Some even use coins for heating their flats.
Your host runs out of queen eliza coins,you freeze to death.
I no fit live there again

Tufiakwa!!

Many of them with their homes turn their homes into dormitories
renting out rooms in their homes to total strangers responding to their ads on Paki stores.
You could be sleeping next door to Jeffrey Dahmer and using the same loo.

How about the size of the rooms ?
If you're bigger than Paris Hilton,your left leg may be in the toilet while the right is on your bed grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25)

Mr B, Oyinbo Man From Turkey: "I'm A Full-Blooded Nigerian Now" / Lagos Government Begins Removal Of Roundabouts Responsible For Traffic Problems / United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.