Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon (18518 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Update On Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s Death / 2015 Senate Campaign Poster For Alamieyeseigha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by 4Play(m): 3:41pm On Mar 17, 2013
The United States of America may cut aid to Nigeria following the presidential pardon granted a former governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha and seven others.

Nigeria is one of the biggest recipients of US aid in Africa. Last year the US gave Nigeria about $226m in development aid and is expected to spend $600m this year.

Alamieyeseigha was found guilty and convicted of corruption before he was pardoned on Tuesday by the National Council of State after a meeting in Abuja.

The US stated that it was disappointed that those convicted of corruption could be pardoned by the President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

It said the move was a setback for Nigeria’s anti corruption crusade.

A US newspaper, The Hill, quoted the State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland as saying, “The United States government is deeply disappointed over the recent pardons of corrupt officials by the Nigerian government.

“We see this as a setback for the fight against corruption and also for our ability to play the strong role we’ve played in supporting rule of law and legal institution building in Nigeria, which is very important for the future of the country, obviously.”

Asked if the US could cut off aid, Nuland said it was possible, adding that the pardon put a dent on the collaborative efforts between Nigeria and the US in fight against corruption.

http://www.punchng.com/news/alamieyeseigha-us-may-cut-off-aid-to-nigeria/

I know the above won't happen but it illustrates how the GEJ Govt and our political leaders continue to discredit themselves in the eyes of the world. I'm sure they ''don't give a damn'' though.

4 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by omaigala(m): 3:44pm On Mar 17, 2013
He wanted to bribe the north by including Yar'adua, the southwest by the inclusion of Diya, but Lo and behold, it back fired. I wonder how daft his advisers are, this goes to show how stack their level of illiteracy is. The level of intelligence in Nigeria is kinda sophisticated now it's still going up @ a supersonic pace. It will be very ok if he did away with the ill-fitted advisers & employ the services of real and better ones. However, this singular act of pardoning someone who shamelessly disguised as a lady & escaped to Nigeria without thinking about his dignity & that of the country, is a deceptive act & that has discredited him as someone who is not trust-worthy, a staggering nation, such as Nigeria can't be entrusted into his care. Well, I wouldn't blame the imperialist (USA) if they cut their aid.

17 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
The only aid we need from them is visa and nothing but visa

17 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
Lol its not even up to a billion dollars embarassed

3 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
Sometimes, I will be forced to doubt the authenticity of his so-called Phd, how can a Phd holder be so shallow minded?

23 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by mrofficial2(m): 5:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
Good! In a sane country, GEJ would likely be impeached.

7 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by ceejay80s(m): 5:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
Wetin concern me with usa aid? They claim they hv been giving aid to naija, HOW MANY I BENEFIT FROM? i no send if them withdraw their aid or AIDS

15 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by free2ryhme: 5:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
This brainless president never thought it wise to pardon Saro Wiwa, who murdered by the state for asking the goverment of Nigeria to stop the pollution of Niger Delta but a common thief like himself

17 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by IleIfe2(m): 5:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
How does a country with 16 Trillion dollar debt give aid to other countries? Technology and nuclear power good o.

BTW. Jonathan and his handlers have finally lost it. These are the kind of things that make you growl AHH AHH?! and people will think you are going insane.

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by BarryX(m): 5:53pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nigeria still receive aid ? Wow, they should stop them and if possible withdraw their vested interests in the Oil & Gas sector if they can, I know they are in one way or the other aiding the cankerworm. But am so convinced that will not really ruffle the feathers of the animals we do have as leaders. They should plot a better CIA covert operation , the way it happened in the Abacha days.

4 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Ngwakwe: 5:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
US Aid is a form of Neo-Colonization.

The earlier the aids are withdrawn, the better we are.

It's time to celebrate our final Independence.

Looking forward to a successful free Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Kslib(m): 5:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
emmysenior: Sometimes, I will be forced to doubt the authenticity of his so-called Phd, how can a Phd holder be so shallow minded?
So you think say PHD dey give person sense abi??

7 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Leopantro: 5:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
seriously, i'm surprised that they are disappointed. what did they expect?
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2013
sheyie2007: Lol its not even up to a billion dollars embarassed

The aids come in form of vaccines and drugs targeted at specific diseases plaguing Africa and Nigeria which Africa billionaires and governments have ignored.the money is a livesaver to Nigeria poor families who benefit from it. . .though I won't expect Jonathan to reverse the pardon since he and his families are not benefitting from the aid but a travel ban on key officials will do more damage.

4 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Pacesetter2: 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2013
Hmmn...so pathetic...if they are contemplating,i'm sure Abati will re-phrase his points & say he was just trying to say another thing
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by dridowu: 5:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
What is aid ?

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by slimfit1(m): 6:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
We don't know the aid that US of A are giving us oh I've not seen that money please stop as soon as possible Obama be we aerial are just hearing that you give us money that can not be accounted for. Don't waste your tax payers money on us thank you.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by tatosh: 6:05pm On Mar 17, 2013
sheyie2007: Lol its not even up to a billion dollars embarassed

Who is this one? Do you how much 600million dollars is? What is the total budget of your state of origin

Meanwhile can't wait for 2015 for Creek Joes tenure to end. I'm sick of this kinda president that can't even hide his love for evil and corruption.
My happiest day as a Nigerian will be the day PDP is disgraced out of power

7 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by igbsam(m): 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
Please ooo...we are tired of the HIV AID sef, let dem cut it or find a permanent cure for it

2 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Built2last: 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
I agree that Mr President goofed over that decision...but may I also tell America that the aid they give Nigeria never gets to the poor population.someone like me really don't care about the severance of the aid.

8 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by jpon411v(m): 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
WELL SAID
omaigala: He wanted to bribe the north by including Yar'adua, the southwest by the inclusion of Diya, but Lo and behold, it back fired. I wonder how daft his advisers are, this goes to show how stack their level of illiteracy is. The level of intelligence in Nigeria is kinda sophisticated now it's still going up @ a supersonic pace. It will be very ok if he did away with the ill-fitted advisers & employ the services of real and better ones. However, this singular act of pardoning someone who shamelessly disguised as a lady & escaped to Nigeria without thinking about his dignity & that of the country, is a deceptive act & that has discredited him as someone who is not trust-worthy, a staggering nation, such as Nigeria can't be entrusted into his care. Well, I wouldn't blame the imperialist (USA) if they cut their aid.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by vanstanzy(m): 6:08pm On Mar 17, 2013
Does that mean no more drone attack against these TERRORISTS in the North? DAMN!angry angry angry

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by vanstanzy(m): 6:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
A US newspaper, The Hill, quoted the State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland as saying, “The United States government is deeply disappointed over the recent pardons of corrupt officials by the Nigerian government.

“We see this as a setback for the fight against corruption..."

Blame GEJ, Oga@d Top. angry angry angry
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Rossikk(m): 6:10pm On Mar 17, 2013
US ''aid'' to Nigeria is limited to 'HIV treatment', which is where the bulk of the 300 million dollars goes. Part of the conditions of the 'aid' is that the 'HIV drugs' (Goodness knows what's contained in them) are purchased from (you guessed it) US pharmaceutical companies.

Nigeria is a nation with an annual GDP of $400 billion and so will not miss any ''aid'' by the USA which itself could not send any ''aid'' to anyone if China stopped lending money to her. The US of course is bankrupt, rap.ed by a corrupt system that LEGALLY deprives its people of TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS which it hands to a small group of bankers and their political associates, leaving hundreds of millions in debt, homeless, destitute, and locked in crime-ridden ghettoes.

A nation essentially living on credit and borrowed time.

How long before the loud implosion?

10 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by dedons: 6:11pm On Mar 17, 2013
I tire 4 dis country o
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by blackbeau1(f): 6:11pm On Mar 17, 2013
Abegi,make we hear. How many poor people actually get the aid? It just fattens the account of the rich

2 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by vizboy(m): 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2013
i laugh when i see things like this. To hell with there aid we never ask for it they gave it out of free will.and what does that have to do with the people our government pardoned[even when i dont support the fact that he pardoned them].

2 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nonybb: 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2013
GEJ pardoned his former oga at the top who thought him how to steal

2 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The aids come in form of vaccines and drugs targeted at specific diseases plaguing Africa and Nigeria which Africa billionaires and governments have ignored.the money is a livesaver to Nigeria poor families who benefit from it. . .though I won't expect Jonathan to reverse the pardon since he and his families are not benefitting from the aid but a travel ban on key officials will do more damage.
not only vaccines and drugs. Aids are also given to small businesses and skills acquisition programs. Sadly, cuts in aids either through USAID, DFID, UNICEF,development banks e.t.c only affects the poor among the society and we have a government that don't give a damn as long as their families are not affected.

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by jhydebaba(m): 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2013
Aid ko, hiv ni. Mtsheeew, we own our land, we can do what ever we like.

2 Likes

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by bigfat05: 6:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
[size=15pt]HE WAS PARDONED HE SAID HE WONT DO IT AGAIN...PLEASE OBAMA THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU BAN US ABEG? THAT MEANS ALL THIEVES AND LAW BREAKERS IN PRISON MUST BE PARDONED TOO ... shocked[/size]
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by vanstanzy(m): 6:17pm On Mar 17, 2013
jhydebaba: Aid ko, hiv ni. Mtsheeew, we own our land, we can do what ever we like.

I hear u. NEXT! angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

14 Safety Tips For South Easterners As They Are Under Military Watch. / FG Sends Delegation To Visit Leah Sharibu’s Mother, Assures Her Of Her Release / Abaribe, Nnia Nwodo, Jim Nwobodo, SE Governors, Others Have Close Door Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.