Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 4 - Travel (341) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 4 (585837 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (444) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
1stcindy: @Chrigo, live-in-caregiver is a Canadian word for house help or maid. it got nothing to do with nurse or doctor
....@1stcindy i know it has nothing to do with doctor or nurse but just sayin if u use dat 4 d visa purpose am sure d vo's will reason wit u and grant visa....are u now trying to say a computer scientist like me can apply or sum1 who studied accounting can apply? It doesnt match mehn!!....it has to be sum1 who has connection course inline with d caregiver program....if we have sum1 who studied child care in uni or poly ,nursing,or has worked with WHO etc sumtin related sha will be considered by embassy....hope u get my point...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by papakm(m): 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
I tape from your anointing...God continue to bless you
kjbobo: Really wanted to gloss over this but I feel I should share this Faithfulness of God....with the sole aim of lifting someone spirit's back home!
I have a Nigerian prof in my Faculty who I called back home that I had gotten my TRV....and he congratulated me and asked me how I was going to move....I never knew God had prepared a miracle for me.....late into the night...He bought my bus ticket(a 3-hr trip) from Calgary to Lethbridge, paid for it and also sent the ticket to me...we spoke on Phone and he said I aint staying in the Hotel that he had spoken to his wife.....I was going to stay with him....till I get a place.....interestingly.....my supervisor(white woman)....heard about the arrangement and said it was going to keep me at the airport too long(5hrs)...booked a red arrow for me....infact they were technically fighting over who to come pick me(I had to do division of Labor....my supervisor paying for my ticket and d nigerian prof(my lecturer too) picking me at station so as not to offend anyone(remember I have never met these guys before.....purely God's favor).I spent 5 days in his house and he was dropping me in school and taking
back home with the wife feeding me all through . Not to forget to mention when I was leaving Nigeria.i needed cash to make up what I needed to travel with.....and I tried sourcing but to no avail....my company ought to pay me normally but cos I left abruptly....I was expecting HR backlash(cos I was the best in my team.....and my figures were doing a lot of help).Plus it takes about a month normally to get your pay out benefits(multinational paperwork)but I got to the office and I was suprised the HR was willing to help me(repeatedly saying....."you are good guy that needs to be helped"...I knew it was God....cos I wasnt really close to her(i was outside lag).
By and large, I got my cheque less than 24 hours....and the pay was like 3 times what I was expecting....God dazed me........!
I am yet to spend a dime in school...even bus pass na free!
Got to faculty and was told my from September is over a $1000 for the next two years.....!
I am sharing this for us to know that God is still very much at work for those who trust him(like Oga Chrigo will say :He aint sleeping)!
Just let God see that He will take all the glory when it happens.....
My principle....If there's no space for God to do Show off......he wont show up!
Prov 3v3......trust in the Lord with all of your heart. ....dont try to figure things out on your own.......
sorry for the typos.....
I just hope someone's faith in God has been lifted!
Much love!

me back home all through....with the wife feeding me all through....infact I had to quickly get a place and moved out cos the care was too much(I had to apologize to them I was leaving).

I am yet to spend a dime in school....even bus ticket na free....Got to school and found out my GTA is gonna be over a $1000.
Not to forget to mention when I was leaving...I needed extra cash....but couldn't get...I had entitlement with my company...but it normally takes two months to get paid...plus I was leaving abruptly(less than a month's notice) so I was expecting a backlash from HR( cos I was the best in my team before resigning)

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Onyeoma3: 10:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
papa km: I tape from your anointing...God continue to bless you

Edit your post pls and shorten the quote...

Thank you...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 10:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
....Has anyone perfected their barbing skills? ...it will come in handle when u get to Canada ooo... u can even make some nice dollar thru it...

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 10:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
GboyegaD:

Gala isn't an exception however, it depends on the discretion of the immigration officer at your point of entry.
.........i av said it b4 whether d immigration officers like am or not i must smuggle dat gala in...gosh!! Dis is ordinary gala we are talking abt......at least guys dey smuggle coco in so ordinary gala wont be dat hard grin.....Tanx 4 d info sir.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 10:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: ....Has anyone perfected their barbing skills? ...it will come in handle when u get to Canada ooo... u can even make some nice dollar thru it...
.....Yes about to be perfect....am just kinda lazy about it lately....but wit ur gingeric money$$ talk i go sharpally resume whether my lazy asss like am or not grin.....tanx.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by tkay11(f): 10:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hi, am new to nairaland add me to the winter applicants applied july 29th centennial college pg and I'll like to know more about the school and the area thnks!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 10:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
papa km: I tape from your anointing...God continue to bless you
....@Papa km....u don fry my eyes wit dis ya long quote jare!!....haba...see dis short words wey u write cum merge am wit my 1 and only oga kjbobo long Epistle....na wa oo....abeg oo no let d @ sign vex 4 u oo....i don talk my owngrin.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 10:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
ChriGo: .....Yes about to be perfect....am just kinda lazy about it lately....but wit ur gingeric money$$ talk i go sharpally resume whether my lazy asss like am or not grin.....tanx.....
.... Sharp guy.... believe me... when u get to Canada and begin dey make ur money... other people wey read this and dey laugh... go begin envy u....even if na just 2 hair u cut per day @ $15 per head.... u are fine...cos it will take u less than 2hrs...

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 10:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
[quote author=kjbobo] @My principle....If there's no space for God to do Show off......he wont show up!
Prov 3v3......trust in the Lord with all of your heart. ....dont try to figure things out on your own.......
This is awesome, I "100%ly'' agree with you bro.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 11:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
....@ my one and only oga Kjbobo....I respect sir.....to be candid wit u, ur information always comes in handy to my soul.....u just lifted my faith with ur soul healing words....now my faith has been fully charged.....God will keep on blessing u werever u are now....even if na inside toilet u dey grin.....I pray God that showed u dis same favour will not only show me same but also show same to all pending visa applicants.....U'r blessed sir and as my doing I tripple tap from ur blessings.....Tanx......

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by double08(m): 11:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
from what I have been reading seems the canadian school and visa application is more stressful than that of the united states. and i KIND OF FEEL DISCOURAGED.

if the school tuition you intend applying for is about 10K must your sponsors account still have up to 6Million?

i dont have work experience since I am unemployed but I have been doing alot of training in line with my course,will that help?

I will like to know the full process of admission and visa application process

help from anyone in the house will be very helpful
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 11:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: .... Sharp guy.... believe me... when u get to Canada and begin dey make ur money... other people wey read this and dey laugh... go begin envy u....even if na just 2 hair u cut per day @ $15 per head.... u are fine...cos it will take u less than 2hrs...
...Tanx so much Mentor... U av always been a blessing sir......All winter lambton applicant una hear!!....i no go do free barbing for una ooo cuz wen it cums to $$$$ i dont joke.......i don talk my own....lol.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by dommakavelli: 11:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
ceo mr ca$h:

Newfoundland st john

I'm heading to NL too. av u gotten accommodation?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by 1stcindy: 11:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
kk
ChriGo: ....@1stcindy i know it has nothing to do with doctor or nurse but just sayin if u use dat 4 d visa purpose am sure d vo's will reason wit u and grant visa....are u now trying to say a computer scientist like me can apply or sum1 who studied accounting can apply? It doesnt match mehn!!....it has to be sum1 who has connection course inline with d caregiver program....if we have sum1 who studied child care in uni or poly ,nursing,or has worked with WHO etc sumtin related sha will be considered by embassy....hope u get my point...

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 11:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
double08: Chrisgo can you please forward me ur contact details would like to ask a couple of questions parates01@yahoo.com
......Bros if to say ur name na double07(james bond) i for fear u give u my email sharpally....but as u be double08(!!!!) why i go fear u?...anyway just joking grin.... i don c ur PM and i go reply u sharpally......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 11:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
tkay11: Hi, am new to nairaland add me to the winter applicants applied july 29th centennial college pg and I'll like to know more about the school and the area thnks!
.....welcum onboad bro....nice to have u join d team...my boss Huzzie don see am and will add am to d list...tank God he's also heading ur way so u can rapur with him.....God aint sleeping......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by papakm(m): 11:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
papa km: I tap from your anointing...God continue to bless you
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by papakm(m): 11:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
ChriGo: ....@Papa km....u don fry my eyes wit dis ya long quote jare!!....haba...see dis short words wey u write cum merge am wit my 1 and only oga kjbobo long Epistle....na wa oo....abeg oo no let d @ sign vex 4 u oo....i don talk my owngrin.....
on vex ooo embarassed
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 11:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
double08: from what I have been reading seems the canadian school and visa application is more stressful than that of the united states. and i KIND OF FEEL DISCOURAGED.

if the school tuition you intend applying for is about 10K must your sponsors account still have up to 6Million?

i dont have work experience since I am unemployed but I have been doing alot of training in line with my course,will that help?

I will like to know the full process of admission and visa application process

help from anyone in the house will be very helpful
.......bro na dis same question i got in my mail.....i even tink say u wan generously drop little deposit into my bank account grin....anyways go tru dis link www.nairaland.com/962116/travelling-canada-part-3/338 if it doesnt help u den i give u d license to legally shoot me with a gun....since u b james bond twin broda.....lol....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by papakm(m): 11:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
Onye oma:

Edit your post pls and shorten the quote...

Thank you...
noted... thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ifegy: 12:46am On Sep 09, 2013
Just a few points re Nuendo's last post- was a bit concerned about the reference to high medical costs. I just want to point out that as a foreign student you are still entitled to health insurance to cover medical and dental expenses, through your school. If you're not aware, please contact your school's international students' office, and make sure you get all the benefits you're entitled to.
And for the reference to religious practice, yeah, Canadians are nowhere near as 'expressive' as people back home about religion but there are tons of vibrant faith communities, including those specifically targetted at young adults (college/university), and Nigerian churches as well, if that's what you want. Look around, ask and you'll find something for sure. Oh, and if you do plan to do any kind of public speaking with a microphone in the city, you will need a permit, whether or not it's religious.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by kjbobo: 1:32am On Sep 09, 2013
ifegy: Just a few points re Nuendo's last post- was a bit concerned about the reference to high medical costs. I just want to point out that as a foreign student you are still entitled to health insurance to cover medical and dental expenses, through your school. If you're not aware, please contact your school's international students' office, and make sure you get all the benefits you're entitled to.
And for the reference to religious practice, yeah, Canadians are nowhere near as 'expressive' as people back home about religion but there are tons of vibrant faith communities, including those specifically targetted at young adults (college/university), and Nigerian churches as well, if that's what you want. Look around, ask and you'll find something for sure. Oh, and if you do plan to do any kind of public speaking with a microphone in the city, you will need a permit, whether or not it's religious.
@health insurance
I agree with you. .that's what obtains here too....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by laureek: 2:01am On Sep 09, 2013
Infact you have said it all.
I got lost uncountable times but canadians are nice people.some things I tried here,I can't in the uk.
Be ready to pay tax too.I got a laptop for 649dollars (the specification for my program) and a microsoft software making 679dolls or more.by the time tax was added,I paid 802dollars.
You pay tax for almost everything except for some kinds of food.well,that was what I was told.
I met a lady who's been here for 12years. She compares prices and keeps talking bout managing money.if someone who's been in this country for that long manages,who am I not to?
Every man for himself here too.
I also think they have good water here.I have been boiling water and putting in my bottle.if you have money sha,you can be buying water.save all you can

Nuendo: Hello all,
Good to see there is a lot of good news in the house. Congrats to all who have been issued their TRV's especially the veteran mr earthgreeners. May all those who are still hopeful have their dreams fulfilled.

I am still settling in slowly here at Calgary. The university is massive and has a massive reputation too. I find myself indeed fortunate to get admission into such a reputable institution. Things are super efficient here. In fact the efficiency would shock you. My greatest shock is that with my school ID and Upass (a sticker on my ID-card) i am able to move around Calgary either by bus or train totally FREE. I also came in contact with my oga, GBoyegaD. Was so happy to meet him and the other Nigerians and forumites here. Please take this forum very serious. You never can tell where this may lead you in life.

My advice to those who have gotten heir TRVs and those wo are yet to get based on my one week here.
1. Please sort out your accommodation before you come / My flight came into Calgary at 9.57pm and I immediately had to take a taxi round town that night for a hotel, this cost me a total of 70 dollars because most hotels were already booked and we moved from one place to the other. I eventually went to one I checked up back home in Nigeria. Funny enough when I arrived there, I was told all the rooms had been taken except for one which was reserved. When I heard this I was suspicious I could be the "one" person they were talking about and to my greatest surprise when I mentioned my name to the receptionist, he said it was me. It happened that I tested the booking feature whether it works back home in Nigeria when searching for a place.

The moral of this story is , sort your accommodation out. It took me 70 dollars to run through the city looking for a cheap place and what saved me from sleeping in a very expensive place was the random reservation I made. Please if you don't get on_campus residency, please make a hotel booking for minimum of 3 nights . If not you may fall into serious wahala.

2. Please carry less clothes when you are coming. Especially short sleeves. This is a cold climate area. The chances that your clothes you bought in niaja would be like wearing nylon here. In other words, tehy would be ineffective against the cold. This is still the end of summer and its already worse than any haramattan i have ever experienced. #this goes to the JJC's like me who are just travelling to colder climates for the first time.

3. Carry beta money for warm clothing. (see 2. Above).

4. Before you pay for rent outside school,come first and see the place physically. It would also be good to see your house mates and places like the kitchen and bathroom (if your sharing) to know whether you can live in such a place.

5. Please prepared to be shocked at the prices you would pay for a room and bath. Before you come, check kjiji.com and other rental websites and see what the range is. So as to avoid stories that touch.

6. PLEASE IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO COOK , YOU BETTER SORT THAT OUT NOW. If not you might spend as much as 30 dollars a day on eating outside (the lower limit ). You'll get almost all major foodstuffs in the malls and superstores. There are also some Nigerian shops where you would buy things like egusi, our won Indomie, cray fish etc. Please once you get here, that should be your first question for Nigerians who have resided here for some time. ALSO CARRY INDOMIE AND PLENTY GALA if you can. They are more important than that fancy short sleeve you are packing. grin . The gala especially woud be you best friend for the first few days

7. Be prepared for some serious culture shock of which the greatest would be the realization that you may be the only religious person per 400 people you meet. You would be immersed within a generation of atheists, So keep your religious views and opinions /habits to yourself. na OYO things for here oh. Someone got sued here for using a microphone to preach on the streets (true story).

8. Carry some drugs along with you especially flagyl, paracetamol and enuf malaria medicine. medical care here is about 100 times more expensive than back home in niaja. SO its not that I am encouraging self medication but getting malaria here is close to getting typhoid back home. The system here isnt used to the treatment of malaria so it would cost you a fortune. Besides, if you fall ill within the first few days, you may not even know how to get a bus or taxi to the hospital. so USE YA HEAD

9. Once you land. Study the transport system like a book. Its different from Niaja. You may not even see taxi's on the road at all. The bus and the trains are the most efficient means of getting around once understood. You actually do not need a car here. Please this is 2013. Got online and Google the city transit for the city you are in. Also make use of your eyes to read signs . They are extremely helpful.

7. BE PREPARED TO GET MISSING ABOUT 6-7 times before you find your footing around the city/town. When this happens, dont panic. Just ask people around you. People here are very nice.

8. As soon as you land , getting a working line with data/internet connection is more important than eating.the data aspect is particularly important because everything here bis basically on the internet. If you are lost, you can find your way back through your google maps. Please once again, if you are the type that thinks technology isn't so important, be ready to be lost in every single aspect of life. from missing lecture notifications to actually getting lost around your won neighborhood. Your gps/google map would be your best friend here.

9.After you get a phone,the next thing is to open an account at the nearest bank and get a working debit card (naija MasterCard would work too if you have money in it). Everything here is paid preferably through POS terminals using your debit cards.

10. Also get used to coins. you'll be needing them more often than you think.

That's all for now, would try to update as much as possible as i make more observations. I hope i have save some of you some serious money by these tips.

Cheers.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by sparta300(m): 2:09am On Sep 09, 2013
Siga: ....Has anyone perfected their barbing skills? ...it will come in handle when u get to Canada ooo... u can even make some nice dollar thru it...
Guy u dey Hustle!!! Now u've mentioned it, I go beg my barber make him give me clipper and chair.
Ps: how much is "some nice dollar"
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by laureek: 2:10am On Sep 09, 2013
Yes o.braiding your hair here is like 16,000 naira o.I did my tiny braids in lagos for just 3,500naira.my cousin makes his wife's hair and wife cuts his hair too.so if you have the time to learn before coming,na serious money o.

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 2:21am On Sep 09, 2013
laureek: Infact you have said it all.
I got lost uncountable times but canadians are nice people.some things I tried here,I can't in the uk.
Be ready to pay tax too.I got a laptop for 649dollars (the specification for my program) and a microsoft software making 679dolls or more.by the time tax was added,I paid 802dollars.
You pay tax for almost everything except for some kinds of food.well,that was what I was told.
I met a lady who's been here for 12years. She compares prices and keeps talking bout managing money.if someone who's been in this country for that long manages,who am I not to?
Every man for himself here too.
I also think they have good water here.I have been boiling water and putting in my bottle.if you have money sha,you can be buying water.save all you can

....@Laureek na wa oo...u sef don join the eyes frying committee of nairaland.....its like b4 u left for canny u 4got d @ sign botton here in naija so its no more on ur fone....shey make i courier am to u? grin.....haba!! Dat tin wey u quote long ooo....lol

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 2:43am On Sep 09, 2013
.....@laureek...back to u...i tot d tax rate in canny is much lower dan dat of d UK's....u said there are sumtins u do dat u cant even try in d UK....pls wat are dos tinz......since i just spotted u online on nairaland dis midnight, then u have to pay tax too for frying peeps eyes......payable to my account....PM me 4 my bank details.....lol.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by sampitts(m): 6:30am On Sep 09, 2013
shey na braiding i go learn abi na barbing... Man needs to be fully armed ooo. E be lyk say na me alone dey go kingston from this our forum ooo... God dey sha
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 7:33am On Sep 09, 2013
laureek: Yes o.braiding your hair here is like 16,000 naira o.I did my tiny braids in lagos for just 3,500naira.my cousin makes his wife's hair and wife cuts his hair too.so if you have the time to learn before coming,na serious money o.

.....Wow so dis barbing tin na serious money true! True! Sha.... Cant wait to start billing my Lambton peeps mehn!!....my own bill go high sha cuz am in luv wit d $$$$ grin.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Onyeoma3: 8:30am On Sep 09, 2013
ChriGo: ....@Laureek na wa oo...u sef don join the eyes frying committee of nairaland.....its like b4 u left for canny u 4got d @ sign botton here in naija so its no more on ur fone....shey make i courier am to u? grin.....haba!! Dat tin wey u quote long ooo....lol

ChriGo...na me "like" ur post ooo...I was surprised as well...but you read for her write-up say na new system she dey use...so reserve some of the blame till full adjustment to her new system.

@Laureek...good to know you've got an accommodation and sttled down...how is Ottawa?

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (444)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.