Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? (16811 Views)

What A Husband Needs From A Wife Is Never Sex / Eniola Kashaam: They Said I Was Too Fat To Find A Husband But I Got The Best / Angry Wife Exposes Chat Messages Between Her Husband And Other Women!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by whizkid(f): 4:36pm On Apr 28, 2005
Hey guys,

What are your opinions on this topic. Many of my male friends thinks that the need of a woman is too much, they need to buy cosmetics, change their wardrope, spa, salon etc etc, the list is endless grin. Guys are afraid that their account will run dry fast if they allow their wives easy access to their bank account. What does that mean that we females cannot not be prudent? I don't quite agree with them.

So what do you guys think, should a husband and wife operate a joint account? Remember one will definitely earn more then the other, what damage if any can this action cause?
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by diakim(m): 5:37pm On Apr 28, 2005
Personally, I think it is better if a couple operate different accounts for the following reasons:

1. It will check the excesses of one or both of the partners

2. At least one of the partners cannot run away with all their money grin

3. If one partner becomes bankrupt, the other partner's goldmine remain safe from the bank.

4. Nobody has to monitor too closely what the other partner is doing with every withdrawal

5. And finally, if the husband dies intestate and the family descends on his properties, the wife's money is safe from their reach.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Ra(f): 8:45pm On Apr 28, 2005
@diakim, I completely agree with reasons stated in points 1 and 5. Having said that, again, it depends solely on the couple. One man's meat is another man's posion and people certanly have different ways of managing their affairs.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by kodewrita(m): 2:27pm On May 03, 2005
i won't advise it unless they also maintain other accounts and decide what has to be done with the money. here are some scenarios.

1. the husband dies and the family members get hold of the passbook while the wife is still grieving and with the aid of forgers they withdraw all their life savings as their own spoils.

2. the wife makes more money than the husband and the husband decides to teach her a lesson ...... by making off with her hard-earned money

3. or worse the wife loses her life because of the greedy nature of her hubby.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by mamba(m): 2:46pm On May 03, 2005
Joint account [I]ke[/I]?

In this age where couples don't even trust each other rolleyes, they'll both be hustling to the bank every hour to check account balance. grin
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Seun(m): 3:03pm On May 03, 2005
All the objections mentioned so far don't apply to relationships and families that are properly fuctioning. A family in which the relatives of the husband can still his chequebook is a dysfunctional family. A family in which the husband and wife cannot trust each other with money is a dysfunctional family.

If these things are normal in our country then so help us, oh God! People need to have some basic things in their relationship before talking about marriage, but these days it's all about the craving for children. People marry just to prevent their children from being labelled illegitimate.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by dominobaby(f): 5:47pm On May 03, 2005
Hmm ... Operating a joint account? I don' see anything wrong with that. One thing though, the couples have to decide whether or not they want it so. If they both trust each other and deem it fit to run one, fine. After all, the money is for the running/upkeep of the family, of which they belong.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Ka: 9:39pm On May 03, 2005
My ideal arrangement would be for there to be a joint account for expenses that are incurred on behalf of both parties (like accommodation, food, etc.) contributed roughly in proportion to each parties earnings. But each party should still be allowed to maintain their own individual accounts for their own purposes.

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by jummy79(f): 4:18am On May 04, 2005
It's weird; I can't see the full responses of most of you so pardon me if I duplicate any responses.

I think each couple should have their own personal account as well as a joint account where each person puts the same percentage of their earnings in (the rest, I assume would go into their personal account).

I like the idea of pecentage because that way each partner is giving the same value or chunk of their earnings. So if I make $100 a month and put 50% of it into the joint account, I'm putting half of my earnings, just like my husband making $20 a month who puts 50% into it is putting half of his earnings. Only the very mercenary would care that one person is putting a larger dollar value in and if this is a concern then you are not ready for the sharing and cohesiveness that marriage is supposed to bring.

So the joint account would be used to pay for household expenses and pretty much used for running the family unit. The personal account would be for each person's personal use as they wish.

What I'd do is something like 50-75% of my earnings in the joint account and then divide my remaining 25-50% into savings as well as "spending money".
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Allenpowered(m): 11:20am On May 23, 2005
nothing dey happen for that end...

can't try it...and i don't advise copules to. but for such special projects like building or buying a house, children's education...well it may actually be better to have a joint account
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 23, 2005
Well from my point of view, i do not think that a married couple should have one account. I don't believe it undermines the trust factor. It's just that you will always have one person who spends more than the other. It isn't always the female who spends more, sometimes its the guys. And its not healthy if he is aware of just how much finances he has at his disposal, or her( depending on the culprit).

I know that separate bank accounts can be expensive to maintain, depending on where you are, but its wise that way. keeping some for a raining day is the best defense against unforeseen circumstances.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Danasco(m): 6:32pm On May 23, 2005

Hi Trish,

Your topic above is very challenging and one of the best I have come across. That is why I am finding time to reply you. To discuss this topic evenly, one must put into consideration the following:

[list][li]Social status of the family.[/li]
[li]Financial status of the family.[/li]
[li]Time of marriage.[/li]
[li]Educational level.[/li][/list]

The social status of the family is an important issue to be considered. In a contemporary Nigeria where women are looked at as a tool to keeping the house and taking care of the children (rearing children), no man can consider his wife or wives worthy of sharing the same account. It is truism that our culture has place no much respect to the issue of woman contributing to the family.

In the 1st place, why do you own a joint account? This is to enable families to spend their monies rightly and prudently in order to train the children, eat well, cloth well, have a good shelter and above all save for future occurences. Who then takes the decision of how these money is to be spent? The Nigerian man would definately want to rule it out. This is because the wife is only a tool. One may begin to think that the writer is woman, no, I am a man and a strong one of that matter.

Before a family can think on owning a joint account, the financial status of the family is a strong factor to determine that. For instance, if the income of the family is not up to the required expenditure of the family, can they own a joint account? The issue of joint account will not come up in such a family. It is because some families are financially bouyant that they can even think of ownoing a joint acct.

Time of Marriage: Trish, you may agree with me that marriage thar took place within the the 60s and early 70s can not discuss the issues of joint account. Do not get me wrong. I agree some has but then the awareness was not as it is today. I am referring here to Nigerian families.

Education Level: With education comes civility and the passion to strive in the word finds its way into our heart. The level of one's education matters also in this case. People with little or no education at all give no importance to this kind of issues.

I am not saying or against but trying to caution to look critically into the above mentioned reasons before taking a point or stance. I am of the opinion that husband and wife should share same account nos, prudentlyand jointly take decision on how to spend the monies without resulting to dispute.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by legry(m): 6:43pm On May 23, 2005
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry lai lai, lai lai, I repeat lai lai, never men dont try it o. No joint account o, lai lai, lai lai , lai lai
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by dominobaby(f): 2:23pm On May 24, 2005
legry:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry   [I]lai lai, lai lai[/I], I repeat [I]lai lai[/I], never men dont try it o.  No joint account o, [I]lai lai, lai lai , lai lai[/I]

Why the continued rage legry?
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by hotpikin(f): 9:53pm On May 24, 2005
trish:

Hey guys,

What are your opinions on this topic. Many of my male friends thinks that the need of a woman is too much, they need to buy cosmetics, change their wardrope, spa, salon etc etc, the list is endless grin. Guys are afraid that their account will run dry fast if they allow their wives easy access to their bank account. What does that mean that we females cannot not be prudent? I don't quite agree with them.

So what do you guys think, should a husband and wife operate a joint account? Remember one will definitely earn more then the other, what damage if any can this action cause?
yep! they shld! wit ur single account in a corner sha....just in case wink
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by legry(m): 3:24pm On May 26, 2005
DOMINO anger, no anger o my point still remains guyzz do not and i repeat do not open a joint account keep your acount and let her keep hers but perform your duties as the man to the fullest but i REPEAT one more tim do not operate a joint account with your wife.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by loomboc(m): 2:22pm On May 27, 2005
WOW! Thats lovely or am i mistaken the quest? NEVER TRY IT.
Operating joint account sounds good but the fact that as a man you can't spend your money behind your wife make the whole thing disgusting.
Besides, your wife will eventually know your monthly earnings and in such ways will make her feel big provided she earns more than you do.
As for me i would have love to operate a joint account (children account) and then still have the personal ones for security reasons.
Note this: What if ones Mother needs some money fast and the wife is not around to attest the cheque, then the mother should go places? or what kind of explanation will you give?.
To cut it short i will submit that it is very good but it is not expedient according to the scriptures " All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient".
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Eresi(f): 11:14am On Jun 15, 2005
No, it's not very good for a husband and a wife to operate a joint account, even though it depends on the parties involved.

I would have this to say: "The husband is the head of the family and should truly be head to everything, including finanancial spending" so why must he be interested in the wife's money.

The woman should be allowed to use her money as it pleases her and the husband's own must be for the family's upkeep.

Death is inevitable and so what might happen after one partner dies should be considered, so that accounts should be operated separately.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Seun(m): 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2005
The woman should be allowed to use her money as it pleases her and the husband's own must be for the family's upkeep.

shocked shocked shocked what?

If this is true, I think I want to be a woman!
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Motee(f): 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2005
Yes, they can both have a joint account and each of them still maintains a different account
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by kazey(m): 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2005
yes, if i am a millionaire, why not. doesnt really matter, the main reasons why people wouldnt want to operate a joint account, is because of the limited funds each of them have. And therefore they have to maintain each others limited funds. So i would say why not wink. If i have a wife, everything that is mine is hers, and all that is hers is mine, is that not what marriage is all about?
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Greatpeter(m): 7:50pm On Jul 05, 2005
Affluent or not you should have thesame banking account.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by kazey(m): 8:08pm On Jul 05, 2005
WHy not? Reasons please smiley
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by twinkledew(f): 8:58pm On Jul 05, 2005
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. i do not see any reason not to have a joint account but the only problem that cld occur is when the two partners get divorced (it wld be crazy to split up). if u guys out there do not want to have a joint account just becos u think that females have a lot of needs then u must be a wanka. why wld u even have a wife and not provide for all her needs. smiley
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by kazey(m): 8:13am On Jul 06, 2005
Hum before i marry a lady, she has to pass the test, of "forever together", that means no matter what occur, that would be the last option. And i pray it becomes so. Besides there are other options to divorce, if you guys have misunderstanding. But why do you marry her, if you cant understand each other.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by sage(m): 10:08pm On Jul 06, 2005
Kazey u sound so simplistic. The real world is not that ideal
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by hotangel2(f): 9:44am On Aug 24, 2005
They can have one.... but they should make sure they have individual ones.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by vexxy(f): 3:02pm On Aug 24, 2005
Yes, they should share an account. Being married means you need to learn to work together as a team. Keeping it separate may cause rifts. My money, Your money. . .It's really OUR money. It will go to pay the same bills that need to be paid, it goes to buy the same food that needs to be eaten and it goes to pay the same rent that they may have a roof over their heads.

I would suggest one account and one accountant. Both names are on the account. Write out an expense (budget) sheet. Know how much money comes in, where it needs to go and what's left for "entertainment." It will teach discipline and team work.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by WesleyanA(f): 4:58am On Aug 26, 2005
well it depends on the relationship. for some it works out fine and for others it doesn't. but that doesn't mean i group loves each other than the other. it's just choice and preferences.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by layi(m): 5:04pm On Aug 26, 2005
Depends on the type of account.

***An account where any of them is a signatory
***An account when both of them are signatories.

The second is ok but would say hell NO to the first.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by mide2(f): 6:32pm On Jan 01, 2006
Joint account is okay when you have separate ones aside too. But having all your earnings go to just one account which happens to be joint is not the best. (me tink o). Money they say spoils friends faces o.

Again, i personally love giving surprises, and i think solely joint account will spoil that especially when it's a bit or even really expensive surprises for him.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by monister(f): 2:04am On Jan 02, 2006
layi:

Depends on the type of account.

***An account where any of them is a signatory
***An account when both of them are signatories.

The second is ok but would say hell NO to the first.

what's wrong with the first?

monister

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Not To Train Your Child / A Belgian Discovers His Wife Used To Be A Man After 19 Years! / Marriage: Specs Or Peace Of Mind?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.