Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? (16357 Views)

6 Things That Choke/kill Ones Spiritual Life / Popular Fuji Legend, Adewale Ayuba Dumps Islam For Christianity? / 5 Myths About Spiritual Spouse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 19, 2013
Heard about this a lot in Nigeria. I remain a skeptic until mine gets missing.. grin
Can't believe the Europeans used to believe this some time back too..

Link: Here

Elaborate greetings are the norm, I’ve found, when one enters a Central African village. So it was a surprise when I noticed that many people weren’t shaking hands the morning I arrived in Tiringoulou, a town of about 2,000 people in one of the remotest corners of the Central African Republic, in March 2010. I soon found out the reason: the day before, a traveler passing through town on a Sudanese merchant truck had, with a simple handshake, removed two men’s joysticks.

As best I could reconstruct from witness accounts, the stranger had stopped to purchase a cup of tea at the market. After handing over his money, he clasped the vendor’s hand. The tea seller felt an electric tingling course through his body and immediately sensed that his penis had shrunk to a size smaller than that of a baby’s. His yells quickly drew a crowd. Somehow in the fray a second man fell victim as well.

Hearing all this, I was less shocked than intrigued. As an anthropologist who studies the region, I was familiar with the problem of penis snatching. What surprised me was that the phenomenon—or, depending on your perspective, the rumor—had made it as far as Tiringoulou.

Reports of genital theft have spread like an epidemic across West and Central Africa over the past two decades, in tandem with what appears to be a general resurgence of witchcraft on the continent. Anthropologists have explained this rise as a response to an increasingly mystifying and capricious global economy.Which is to say that when the workings of capital are as genuinely obscure as they are in today’s Africa, proceeding behind a veil of complexity and corruption, rumors of “occult economies”—often involving a trade in human organs—offer a less mystifying explanation for the radical disparities in wealth on display.

That said, genital theft is neither new nor confined to Africa. Similar panics afflicted Central Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries. (Malleus Maleficarum, a book-length jeremiad against the dangers of witchcraft from 1486, includes a discussion of sorceresses who “take away male members” and keep them in birds’ nests.) And in 1967, an outbreak of koro—the belief that the penis is retracting into the body—overwhelmed hospitals in Singapore.

In Africa today, scholars who study penis snatching understand it mainly as an urban phenomenon—an extreme expression of the anxieties that pervade a city when villagers become urbanites en masse, living among throngs of unfamiliar people. That’s because most cases have been reported in crowded spots like Lagos, in Nigeria, and Douala, in Cameroon. But here I was in Tiringoulou—a dusty, peanut-growing hamlet so small and poor it barely has a market. If penis snatching had previously been a city dweller’s fear, now it seemed that not even the remotest places would be spared.
But spared from what, exactly?...

Continued in link..

So has anyone experienced this or ever met a victim? What happens to his 'location' when his joystick gets missing? Is there a hole there? blood? miracle skin?

1 Like

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 19, 2013
Muskeeto, you should have been around suleja niger state, Feb 2012. A trial would have convinced you.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by MacDaddy01: 9:32am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Muskeeto, you should have been around suleja niger state, Feb 2012. A trial would have convinced you.

So you believe this nonsense fairytale of missing joystick?

lmao....then tommorow you will go and argue against atheists as if you're some intellectual! grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by mazaje(m): 9:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Muskeeto, you should have been around suleja niger state, Feb 2012. A trial would have convinced you.

Nothing like that exist, its all all an urban legend. . .I witnessed one some years ago in Bauchi state, and it turned out to be a set up. . .A rich guy displaced a poor guy and took his woman. . .The poor guy then set the rich guy up and accused him of stealing the genitals of his friend. . .the rich guy was descended upon and almost beaten to death by the mob. . .The guys that set him up relied on the fact that is it a sin for muslims to see the private parts of each other. . .The mob that gathered around ,just believed his genitals were stolen and went on rampage. . .But it was all a lie. . .Genital theft remains an urban legend. . .

9 Likes

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by mazaje(m): 9:50am On Mar 19, 2013
Seun what the the hell is cores . . .G e n i t a l s not cores. . .

3 Likes

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

So you believe this nonsense fairytale of missing joystick?

lmao....then tommorow you will go and argue against atheists as if you're some intellectual! grin grin grin
This one is more than belief for me. Witnessed it, happened to a pseudo-friend of mine. Except you have an explanation for it.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 19, 2013
mazaje:

Nothing like that exist, its all all an urban legend. . .I witnessed one some year ago in Bauchi state, and it turned out to be a set up. . .A rich guy displaced a poor guy and took his woman. . .The poor guy then set the rich guy up and accused him of stealing the genitals of his friend. . .the guy rich guy was descended up on and almost beaten to death by the mob. . .The guys that set him up relied on the fact that is it a sin for muslims to see the private parts of each other. . .The mob that gathered around ,just believed his genitals were stolen and went on rampage. . .But it was all a lie. . .Genital theft remains an urban legend. . .
Whatever it is. I'm sure of what happened. Except you have an explanation for that.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by MacDaddy01: 10:37am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: This one is more than belief for me. Witnessed it, happened to a pseudo-friend of mine. Except you have an explanation for it.

Did you see it?
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Did you see it?

Not really that it dissappeared. The thing will become like that of a newborn.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by MacDaddy01: 10:40am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Not really that it dissappeared. The thing will become like that of a newborn.

how do you know that his penis wasnt like that in the first placE?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

how do you know that his penis wasnt like that in the first placE?

Lol. Are you kidding me! That's the significant thing in all of them.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by MacDaddy01: 10:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. Are you kidding me! That's the significant thing in all of them.

So you have been seeing the joystick of numerous victims?

So it has changed from disappearance to reduction?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by mazaje(m): 10:55am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Not really that it dissappeared. The thing will become like that of a newborn.

How did you know that the person's p e n i s was not like that before?. . .Did you go about looking and the privates of other men and seeing it change in size?. . .

2 Likes

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

So you have been seeing the joystick of numerous victims?

So it has changed from disappearance to reduction?
Lolololol. Actually, in the sense of the original, it disappears.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:59am On Mar 19, 2013
mazaje:

How did you know that the person's p e n i s was not like that before?. . .Did you go about looking and the privates of other men and seeing it change in size?. . .
Lolololol. Like I told logicboy, it actually. As a pseudo-friend, there are certain scenarios that call for close examination of our penis. Like when we urinate on shrubs in a file.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by mazaje(m): 11:13am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Lolololol. Actually, in the sense of the original, it disappears.

Did you see it before it disappeared . . .
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by mazaje(m): 11:15am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Lolololol. Like I told logicboy, it actually. As a pseudo-friend, there are certain scenarios that call for close examination of our penis. Like when we urinate on shrubs in a file.

And you saw that of all the people whose privates were stolen?. . .
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by ijawkid(m): 11:41am On Mar 19, 2013
Ona don craze finish o......grin
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by AtheistD(m): 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2013
I heard a lot about this too. Never really bought into it. It is just too silly tongue
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Zooposki(f): 1:30pm On Mar 19, 2013
I was a man before my manliness was stolen. I am now a woman.

7 Likes

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by MacDaddy01: 1:38pm On Mar 19, 2013
Zooposki: I was a man before my manliness was stolen. I am now a woman.

lmao
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by AtheistD(m): 2:36pm On Mar 19, 2013
Zooposki: I was a man before my manliness was stolen. I am now a woman.

lol grin

Why dont they give women manliness too.... that would be hilarious. Like a forced gender swap.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by neversaynever(m): 3:12pm On Mar 19, 2013
Sounds strange. Just wondering if the díck'll disappear, reduce or be like...paralysed. Reduction makes a bit of sense, the victim must've inhaled/ate something, but disappearance? Nah nah, i don't buy that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by wiegraf: 4:23pm On Mar 19, 2013
I have a friend who slept 'behind counter' at a police station for allegedly stealing a pipi. Remarkably (or not), despite falling prey to the effects of this sort of inanity this very same (university trained) guy would later argue with me about the thief that turned to a goat claim that was on nta.

4 Likes

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by mazaje(m): 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2013
wiegraf: I have a friend who slept 'behind counter' at a police station for allegedly stealing a pipi. Remarkably (or not), despite falling prey to the effects of this sort of inanity this very same (university trained) guy would later argue with me about the thief that turned to a goat claim that was on nta.

NTA used to report about people turning into tubers of yam when we were kids. . .Vanguard news paper reported that a guy turned into a motor bike as of 2011. . .The Nigerian news outlets are all filled with myth believing reporters that keep on bandying nonsense and outright stupidity. . .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by neversaynever(m): 10:31pm On Mar 19, 2013
wiegraf: I have a friend who slept 'behind counter' at a police station for allegedly stealing a pipi. Remarkably (or not), despite falling prey to the effects of this sort of inanity this very same (university trained) guy would later argue with me about the thief that turned to a goat claim that was on nta.

it's strange though. Isn't literacy & maturity supposed to overshadow myths?
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 19, 2013
mazaje:

Did you see it before it disappeared . . .
In that sense, so he told me. I had no reason to doubt him.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2013
mazaje:

And you saw that of all the people whose privates were stolen?. . .
His alone. The victims complaint has been in that direction.
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by 190: 10:58pm On Mar 19, 2013
DAMN I wish i could take some nairalander's d!ck grin grin
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Mar 19, 2013
wiegraf: I have a friend who slept 'behind counter' at a police station for allegedly stealing a pipi . Remarkably (or not), despite falling prey to the effects of this sort of inanity this very same (university trained) guy would later argue with me about the thief that turned to a goat claim that was on nta.

PIPI!?
DUDE R U IN KINEGARTEN? undecided
Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by pomporiking: 11:04pm On Mar 19, 2013
Most of you that haven't experienced nothing saying myth allowing all dose western folks deceive you..e dey happen big time

2 Likes

Re: Missing Joystick...Real Spiritual Phenomenon? or Urban Legend? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 19, 2013
Urban Legend, such thing is incapable of happening.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Life Changing Books On Generals In God's Kingdom / Why Christianity Is Wrong / Leke Adeboye: Politicians Become Strong Church Members When Election Is Near

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.