Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up (6049 Views)

Nigeria Internet Users Increase To 97 Million – NCC / Fixing 30million Naira On Fixed Deposit In A Nigeria Bank In A Period Of 2years / How To Start Up A Cement Business - How Profitable Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 10:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
In respect to the
above topic i sincerely
need an investor that can
invest in Xmx Me. Xmx Me
is a mobile application
that enable people to send
sms/bulk sms at 2 naira
with their mobile phone. We currently have only a j2me application, we plan on expanding to other platforms. We have been running for 5 months.
The website is
www. . We currently have 8293 members. Xmx Me has
some unique features,
more will be added after
the investment because
they need money to
implement. Some of the
features are: 1)It has a
light and easy to use ui. 2)
It uses little bandwidth
thereby minimizing
bandwidth cost. 3)It has a
phone book utility option
which allows mass selection
of numbers from the phone
book/contacts. 4)It has a
service page which is
dynamic and can offer
things like jokes, fixtures,
etc. We need the money to
expand to other platforms,
create a web app, expand
to other countries and to
implement our new ideas. The total expense will be 250,000. If
you are interested Contact
me through my
email: elvis.chidera@
gmail.com or post here.
Thanks
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by Nobody: 12:10am On Mar 20, 2013
What platforms are you presently at?
I downloaded the App on my BB just to test it but it seems a lot of things isn't right with the Start-up and login process.
The download page itself isn't well designed.
Such App should be fully functional if you're serious about getting investment on it. However, it's a good idea and I'll encourage you to keep it up.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 5:16am On Mar 20, 2013
@ sir brand_new. We only have a j2me application. The application was fully optimized for j2me devices and will not work properly on other platform that support j2me which include symbian and blackberry. The website was intended to be a simple website with text and links and no css but we have decided to change this, by making the website simple but smart. We will change the website, modify the application and create a new application for other platforms after the investment.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 20, 2013
I'd be much interested if you have the BlackBerry version and your chances of success will be enhanced with the Android version also available.

1 Like

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 11:58am On Mar 20, 2013
elvis10ten: In respect to the
above topic i sincerely
need an investor that can
invest in Xmx Me. Xmx Me
is a mobile application
that enable people to send
sms/bulk sms at 2 naira
with their mobile phone. We currently have only a j2me application, we plan on expanding to other platforms. We have been running for 5 months.
The website is
www. . We currently have 8293 members. Xmx Me has
some unique features,
more will be added after
the investment because
they need money to
implement. Some of the
features are: 1)It has a
light and easy to use ui. 2)
It uses little bandwidth
thereby minimizing
bandwidth cost. 3)It has a
phone book utility option
which allows mass selection
of numbers from the phone
book/contacts. 4)It has a
service page which is
dynamic and can offer
things like jokes, fixtures,
etc. We need the money to
expand to other platforms,
create a web app, expand
to other countries and to
implement our new ideas. The total expense will be 250,000. If
you are interested Contact
me through my
email: elvis.chidera@
gmail.com or post here.
Thanks

Can you present your audited result for the past 3 years, who are the members of the your board, what are you mission statement and vision, what is your corporate culture like, what is the pedigree of the promoter, etc.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 2:06pm On Mar 20, 2013
Brand_new: I'd be much interested if you have the BlackBerry version and your chances of success will be enhanced with the Android version also available.
We will have an application specially made for the blackberry, android, ios, windows and an improved j2me application. This will all be done months after the investment. I know the j2me market is a dying one but we had to start there, we followed the principle of this sentence "DREAM BIG BUT START SMALL". With just a j2me application, a simple website and a restriction of region to only nigerians(that is only nigerian users are accepted currently due to the means of payment, but its all solved and we have gotten atleast 7 ways to accept international payment) we where able to get a 15-25 daily users sign-up and we were able to get x5 of our capital(our capital was really low). Then we can do more better when we expand and implement this new innovative idea i have. All i just need is the funds to continue. With all this addition we will be able to achieve our goal which is "TO MAKE SMS AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF YOUR POCKET(MONEY) SIZE", and at the end make profit.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 2:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

Can you present your audited result for the past 3 years, who are the members of the your board, what are you mission statement and vision, what is your corporate culture like, what is the pedigree of the promoter, etc.
. @ sir manie, i said we are just a 5 months old start-up.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 2:49pm On Mar 20, 2013
elvis10ten: . @ sir manie, i said we are just a 5 months old start-up.

Then your business will run more on sweat equity, debt, personal savings and investment by close friends and relatives.

Investors will want to structures, systems, policies and pedigree to be in place before their commit their funds.

At the current state and phase of your business, I will advise you to be close to your bank manager because he may definitely be of help if you speak his language.

NB the language is not Ibo, Hausa, Yoruba , English etc.

If you really understand Business language.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 3:58pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

Then your business will run more on sweat equity, debt, personal savings and investment by close friends and relatives.

Investors will want to structures, systems, policies and pedigree to be in place before their commit their funds.

At the current state and phase of your business, I will advise you to be close to your bank manager because he may definitely be of help if you speak his language.

NB the language is not Ibo, Hausa, Yoruba , English etc.

If you really understand Business language.
Then what happened to people who invest in a business idea before it start ?
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 4:08pm On Mar 20, 2013
elvis10ten: Then what happened to people who invest in a business idea before it start ?

Yours friends, brothers, sisters, neighbours, church members and colleagues at work can do that. All investors are capitalists, although some may decide to gamble with about 5% or less of their net-worth or by investing in start ups.

4 Likes

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 4:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
The only people who invest without doing due diligence and scrutiny are the politicians, some sports men and celebrity. A typical investor will do strict due diligence, and they don't invest on sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 4:19pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

Yours friends, brothers, sisters, neighbours, church members and colleagues at work can do that. All investors are capitalists, although some may decide to gamble with about 5% or less of their net-worth or by investing in start ups.
FOR ME TO COME HERE TO ASK FOR INVESTMENT, YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT I HAVE TRIED ALL THIS.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
elvis10ten: FOR ME TO COME HERE TO ASK FOR INVESTMENT, YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT I HAVE TRIED ALL THIS.

I am not too sure if you understand the language of business and have the pedigree of success in business, if you do investors funds will be running after you.

I will recommend you attend the entrepreneurial programme of Fate Foundation, try and develop a relationship with you bank and have a successful mentor in that line of business.

2 Likes

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 4:30pm On Mar 20, 2013
elvis10ten: FOR ME TO COME HERE TO ASK FOR INVESTMENT, YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT I HAVE TRIED ALL THIS.

If those people do not trust your ability, by investing in your venture do you expect an investor who does not know you from Adam to invest in your business?

4 Likes

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2013
Your only asset is your ability and willingness to succeed and your God. get close to Him, he will definitely find a way for you.

But try and start incorporating some structures and organisation in your business .
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

I am not too sure if you understand the language of business and have the pedigree of success in business, if you do investors funds will be running after you.

I will recommend you attend the entrepreneurial programme of Fate Foundation, try and develop a relationship with you bank and have a successful mentor in that line of business.
i don't know what you are driving to. You said i should seek funds from close friends, relative, etc. I just told you i have done that. You didn't bother to even ask why it didn't work. Why it didn't work was because of my family state, i won't like to explain further.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 4:40pm On Mar 20, 2013
elvis10ten: i don't know what you are driving to. You said i should seek funds from close friends, relative, etc. I just told you i have done that. You didn't bother to even ask why it didn't work. Why it didn't work was because of my family state, i won't like to explain further.

There are family members who invested their pension on their son's business, some borrowed on behalf of their brothers etc, just telling you these are the primary source of getting money for start ups, when the business starts growing you can now ask for outside investors.

Who are the first people to invest in Bill Gate's, Dangote's, Buffet's even Seun Osewa's business? It is their family members and personal funds of the promoters.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 4:56pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

There are family members who invested their pension on their son's business, some borrowed on behalf of their brothers etc, just telling you these are the primary source of getting money for start ups, when the business starts growing you can now ask for outside investors.

Who are the first people to invest in Bill Gate's, Dangote's, Buffet's even Seun Osewa's business? It is their family members and personal funds of the promoters.
Am not sure of the story of bill gates family members funding microsoft. But anyway there is a saying which is "UNTILL A FISH ENTERS HOT WATER, IT WON'T KNOW THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF WATER.". Because you are there you will say that, but when you are here you will know whats up. You can't compare me with seun or bill gate, etc. Their beginning and ending is not the same.

1 Like

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 20, 2013
manie:

Why don't you just encourage him and keep a tab on his progress rather than kill his dreams.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 10:35am On Mar 21, 2013
Brand_new:
Why don't you just encourage him and keep a tab on his progress rather than kill his dreams.

Nobody can kill a good dream, the only person who can kill a good dream is the dreamer.

If asking questions and doing due diligence is what you call dream killing, then good luck to him in his search for investors.

The best advice in business is to start small and grow along the line, it won't be a bad idea for him to even take a loan that is as small as 100k and pay back before the due date, this is just to build his credit worthiness and in a couple of months he can start taking credit facilities that run into millions. But the guy should try to build some structures, systems, policies and strategies into his business organisation.

6 Likes

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 11:21am On Mar 21, 2013
elvis10ten: Am not sure of the story of bill gates family members funding microsoft. But anyway there is a saying which is "UNTILL A FISH ENTERS HOT WATER, IT WON'T KNOW THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF WATER.". Because you are there you will say that, but when you are here you will know whats up. You can't compare me with seun or bill gate, etc. Their beginning and ending is not the same.

Bill Gate enjoyed free rent when he started sojourn in the world of entrpreneurship, Microsoft started in Bill Gate's dad garage. Bill also had the support of his parents when he dropped out of University.

2 Likes

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 11:41am On Mar 21, 2013
manie:

Bill Gate enjoyed free rent when he started sojourn in the world of entrpreneurship, Microsoft started in Bill Gate's dad garage. Bill also had the support of his parents when he dropped out of University.

Gates was born in Seattle, Washington, to William H. Gates, Sr. and Mary Maxwell Gates. His ancestry includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.[15][16] His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way. Gates's maternal grandfather was JW Maxwell, a national bank president. Gates has one elder sister, Kristi (Kristianne), and one younger sister, Libby. He was the fourth of his name in his family, but was known as William Gates III or "Trey" because his father had the "II" suffix.[17] Early on in his life, Gates's parents had a law career in mind for him.[18] When Gates was young, his family regularly attended a Congregational church.[19][20][21]

At 13 he enrolled in the Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school.[22] When he was in the eighth grade, the Mothers Club at the school used proceeds from Lakeside School's rummage sale to buy a Teletype Model 33 ASR terminal and a block of computer time on a General Electric (GE) computer for the school's students.[23] Gates took an interest in programming the GE system in BASIC, and was excused from math classes to pursue his interest. He wrote his first computer program on this machine: an implementation of tic-tac-toe that allowed users to play games against the computer. Gates was fascinated by the machine and how it would always execute software code perfectly. When he reflected back on that moment, he said, "There was just something neat about the machine."[24] After the Mothers Club donation was exhausted, he and other students sought time on systems including DEC PDP minicomputers. One of these systems was a PDP-10 belonging to Computer Center Corporation (CCC), which banned four Lakeside students—Gates, Paul Allen, Ric Weiland, and Kent Evans—for the summer after it caught them exploiting bugs in the operating system to obtain free computer time.[25][26]

Got this from Wikipedia

1 Like

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2013
manie:

Gates was born in Seattle, Washington, to William H. Gates, Sr. and Mary Maxwell Gates. His ancestry includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.[15][16] His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way. Gates's maternal grandfather was JW Maxwell, a national bank president. Gates has one elder sister, Kristi (Kristianne), and one younger sister, Libby. He was the fourth of his name in his family, but was known as William Gates III or "Trey" because his father had the "II" suffix.[17] Early on in his life, Gates's parents had a law career in mind for him.[18] When Gates was young, his family regularly attended a Congregational church.[19][20][21]

At 13 he enrolled in the Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school.[22] When he was in the eighth grade, the Mothers Club at the school used proceeds from Lakeside School's rummage sale to buy a Teletype Model 33 ASR terminal and a block of computer time on a General Electric (GE) computer for the school's students.[23] Gates took an interest in programming the GE system in BASIC, and was excused from math classes to pursue his interest. He wrote his first computer program on this machine: an implementation of tic-tac-toe that allowed users to play games against the computer. Gates was fascinated by the machine and how it would always execute software code perfectly. When he reflected back on that moment, he said, "There was just something neat about the machine."[24] After the Mothers Club donation was exhausted, he and other students sought time on systems including DEC PDP minicomputers. One of these systems was a PDP-10 belonging to Computer Center Corporation (CCC), which banned four Lakeside students—Gates, Paul Allen, Ric Weiland, and Kent Evans—for the summer after it caught them exploiting bugs in the operating system to obtain free computer time.[25][26]

Got this from Wikipedia
Lolz. What does this extract from wikipedia mean ?. Next you say the computers was bought for bill gate ?.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 2:58pm On Mar 21, 2013
manie:

Xmx Me started in my father's rented room. I enjoy free space and room from him.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 3:55pm On Mar 21, 2013
elvis10ten: Xmx Me started in my father's rented room. I enjoy free space and room from him.

That is very good for a start, just keep on reinvesting your profit, make good use of credits and maintain high integrity in your business dealings the Sky will be your limit in the next 10 years.

1 Like

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2013
manie:

That is very good for a start, just keep on reinvesting your profit, make good use of credits and maintain high integrity in your business dealings the Sky will be your limit in the next 10 years.
Thanks sir manie. Its really nice meeting you. And ehe, what i meant by "rented room" was not an entirely free and new room for me, its where we stay, in that room where we sleep.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by cj1080(m): 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2013
see the thing with young people today is that when advise is given, if they dont like it,rather than consider it and think on it, they get angry when it doesnt dance to their tune.

Seriously, how would some who doesnt know you invest in a business with no structures that at least will speak for you if people dont know you at face value.

What your asking is just like saying, i have a fish at home please Mr A from abuja send me water so i can add to its tank so it may grow.

what you should be asking is Mr A i have a fish at home, its in a tank, the tank takes 3Days of water before it needs refilling, the fish can grow 100 eggs in 2hours and in two days it will have 45 young fishes. i am looking for a means to get water for it every 3days. for your water i will give 2fish per 6 days.(negiotiations commerces).

What that you have any investors attention.

4 Likes

Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 10:28pm On Mar 21, 2013
cj1080: see the thing with young people today is that when advise is given, if they dont like it,rather than consider it and think on it, they get angry when it doesnt dance to their tune.

Seriously, how would some who doesnt know you invest in a business with no structures that at least will speak for you if people dont know you at face value.

What your asking is just like saying, i have a fish at home please Mr A from abuja send me water so i can add to its tank so it may grow.

what you should be asking is Mr A i have a fish at home, its in a tank, the tank takes 3Days of water before it needs refilling, the fish can grow 100 eggs in 2hours and in two days it will have 45 young fishes. i am looking for a means to get water for it every 3days. for your water i will give 2fish per 6 days.(negiotiations commerces).

lolz. @sir cj1080, your post is totally flawed because:
1)I WASN'T ANGRY AT ALL, ME AND SIR MANIE WERE HAVE A GOOD TIME.
2)When i successfully get an investor for Xmx Me, it won't be the first neither will it be the last for investor to invest in a start-up without structures. I hope you know that some average tech company were funded by an investor before the race began ?. Do ur research wella.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 10:29pm On Mar 21, 2013
cj1080: see the thing with young people today is that when advise is given, if they dont like it,rather than consider it and think on it, they get angry when it doesnt dance to their tune.

lolz. @sir cj1080, your post is totally flawed because:
1)I WASN'T ANGRY AT ALL, ME AND SIR MANIE WERE HAVE A GOOD TIME.
2)When i successfully get an investor for Xmx Me, it won't be the first neither will it be the last for investor to invest in a start-up without structures. I hope you know that some average tech company were funded by an investor before the race began ?. Do ur research wella.
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by elvis10ten(m): 5:10pm On Mar 22, 2013
Please read this. paulgraham
Re: Investors Needed In A Nigeria Internet Start-up by manie(m): 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
elvis10ten: Please read this. paulgraham

This was copied from the link

Like most startups, ours began with a group of friends, and it was through personal contacts that we got most of the people we hired. This is a crucial difference between startups and big companies. Being friends with someone for even a couple days will tell you more than companies could ever learn in interviews. [2]

It's no coincidence that startups start around universities, because that's where smart people meet. It's not what people learn in classes at MIT and Stanford that has made technology companies spring up around them. They could sing campfire songs in the classes so long as admissions worked the same.

If you start a startup, there's a good chance it will be with people you know from college or grad school. So in theory you ought to try to make friends with as many smart people as you can in school, right? Well, no. Don't make a conscious effort to schmooze; that doesn't work well with hackers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JOIN whatsapp-To Start Edmark Network Marketing Business-with N39,600 OR N16,500 / Vacancy For A Data Entry Officer(urgent) / Earn FREE Usdt From A Genuine App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.