Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,253 members, 7,780,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:05 PM

Need Advice On Finance Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Need Advice On Finance Career (2063 Views)

Banking And Finance Career Adviser Needed / Should I Take Phd Positions Or Job Offers? Need Advice / How Is Your Finance Department Structure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice On Finance Career by SeunO(m): 2:50pm On May 08, 2006
Need Advice On Financial Services Career

I am a final year science student in the University of Ibadan. I am quite versatile and I want to pursue a career in financial services (Investment Banking or [b]Asset Management [/b]precisely),

I am planning to seat for Chartered Financial Analyst(CFA) level 1 examination immediately I graduate as well as ICAN. Do you think this will help me in getting a good Job in Nigeria or Abroad, or what else can I do.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by somebody(f): 9:37pm On May 08, 2006
Hi SeunO, I am not sure about the investment banking sector in Nigeria or USA. I think I have heard it is only IBTC involved in this sector(I may be wrong) in naija. However, i'll tell you what I know about this sector in the UK. It is very competitive to get into and would be very difficult for you as they would be unfamiliar with your uni. They happen to be very picky and take students from specific unis here. If you can, go for a masters in corporate finance or related areas in respected unis in the UK(You can research the schools these investment banks like). Some obvious ones are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, Warwick, Cass, There is also a respected course at the University of Reading. It is an MSc in International Securities, Investment and Banking. I know for sure that your ICAN won't help you here-maybe in naija. If you are not ready to cough up the expensive fees I suggest you try to apply for a job at citibank lagos. There may be opportunities to get internal jobs in investment banking and asset management in other regions like the UK and America. I would also say that if you are interested in entering this sector in the UK then make sure your priority at uni now is to make a 2.1 or above.

I hope what I have written makes sense and would be of some help to you. Goodluck in whatever you decide to do.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by takethat: 12:43pm On May 09, 2006
Hi there ,

Somebody i disagree with you on that. The reason is bescause i am a business analyst in a major investment bank in UK and i also take people on borad to work and there is no discremination what so ever in selecting the right candidate.

The only thing we look for is to have experience which is one thing that may be of help but SeunO may not have. Its not difficult the only requirement is that you have a work permit and little experinence and it will be a great help if you can lay your hands on some financial courses. At the moment credit risk is a major market.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by takethat: 12:44pm On May 09, 2006
i am trying to write seun but it is returing nwoke na wa for this site o

it needs some testing
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by somebody(f): 1:42pm On May 09, 2006
@takethat. Good on you for taking people without discriminating. When did you start working there because i know that they used to take people with 2.2s and it wasn't as competitive as it is now. I am not saying you have a 2.2 or anything I am just trying to state how people who got in earlier say with a 2.2 might not believe that their employers only accept candidates with 2.1s now.

Things have changed and even though HR deny that they do not discriminate, I believe they do and when I read an article about it earlier this year, I was even more convinced. Plus, most IBs visit only certain universities to give these students the opportunity to network and find out more about the application process. This gives them an edge over other applicants and this is how IBs subtly discriminates. A typical example are two vacancies on my school website now for a position in an IB but guess what, I have searched everywhere- mikround, their website to find out more about the job and if its something I would like to do. It is nowhere to be found. My guess- if i told a friend of mine say maybe at lse to check the vancacies being advertised on her school website, she'll find it there. But others won't have access to it because they only want people from certain universities to apply. The general perception of IBs is that they are less picky when it comes to roles in IT and operations but for a position in front office, you have to have gone to a top university. It is also believed that the bulge bracket banks are more picky with regards to the university attended than the tier one and two banks.

So if SeunO is aiming for a top role in a bulge bracket bank, he has to have a certain pedigree. I hope you get my drift. Besides for entry level(graduate) positions, I am very sure a candidate does not need a work permit or even experience.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by somebody(f): 1:45pm On May 09, 2006
Please also note that I am talking about graduate entry levels as that is where I am at now and SeunO stated he is a final year student. I don't know about other levels.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by takethat: 1:54pm On May 09, 2006
somebody i get your point very well now and what you said is true but its not in all cases and for any level weather graduate or professional except you are residence or a citizen, you need a work permit. i see some job advertised as well that they say that they only want students form certain universities but its like one in a thousand job adverts

as for seun i wish you luck whatever you want so far you work and pray hard at it you will get it
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by somebody(f): 2:04pm On May 09, 2006
Most IBs get work permits for fresh graduates if they like them. A couple of my friends have had IBs and other companies do that for them.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by somebody(f): 2:21pm On May 09, 2006
@ takethat, I think the name changes to nwoke because the moderator's nickname was suen(misspelt) and now he has changed it to nwoke. So it might be that he has written some form of code to automatically change suen to nwoke. But other variations like seuno i think remain unchanged. Thats just a very wild guess but i think thats why.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by SeunO(m): 5:07pm On May 09, 2006
Have read everybody's contributions so far, will it help to sit for and pass the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 examination. I mean is it a substantial plus
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by somebody(f): 8:55pm On May 09, 2006
Personally I don't think it would be a plus for entry level but it might help for a more senior role(compared to grad) which you can only get if you have experience and maybe some qualifications. So i think what makes sense is to try and get some work experience in that field. But firstly I think you need to make decisions as to where(as in country) you want to pursue this career path, go to company websites and check their candidate requirements. Then you'll be able to see the qualifications that would be valuable to them if any.

You can also check out this site, its for young people trying to get into this field. It might also help answer some of your questions. http://www.ibtalk.com/forum/forum-3.html
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by uchie(f): 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2006
somebody r u in the IB industry? cause u really made a lot of sense. I wouldnt say IBs are discriminatory, just very selective. Any more tips?
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by nweike(m): 8:11pm On Jun 14, 2006
I am a fresh graduate from the University of Calabar, I graduated with 2.2

Although i have not served but i have the vision of starting a finance/ investment career and i believe it is possible all i need to do is to qualify through CIS (chartered institute of stockbrokers) then the rest would be history.

Note that Nigeria's capital market is rated as one of the fastest growing capital market in the world.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by sam4lape: 2:52pm On Jun 17, 2006
pls can any one give me informtion on the Nigeria Stock market. I just finished serving and want to pursue a career in stock brokerage in nigeria. what my career prospects and the requirements in entering the stock market. I need urgent answers
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by sam4lape: 2:54pm On Jun 17, 2006
pls can any one give me informtion on the Nigeria Stock market. I just finished serving and want to pursue a career in stock brokerage in nigeria. what my career prospects and the requirements in entering the stock market. I need urgent answers
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by nweike(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2006
To start a career in stock brokerage in Nigeria you must either be registered by sec or you work for a stock broking firm.

To be registered you will have to write the CIS exam that is the chartered Institute of stockbrokers exam to be a chartered stock broker, in the least you can write the stock market agent exam to become an agent
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by elolove(m): 11:45am On Jun 23, 2006
pls am interested in the stock market. can any one advice me.
please send all infomation to my box ezeani2001@yahoo.com

i promise to call back.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by erniecool: 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2006
Hi Guys,
I'm really fascinated with what u are talking about. I'm actually searhing through the google page looking for the website of Nigeria Institutes of Stock Brokers when i was linked to this site and very fortunates for is a site that i know about.
I'm an undergraduate, i read Engineering but presently i'm on my internship. I got my self in a a asset management firm, one of the leading light in Nigeria to be precise. My experience here have been so great , is really loving learning new things fellow. I have intension of furthering my carrier in this sector, then i arrived at CIS. i want to know their minimum entry qualification and the various levels they have. Will be adviceable to finished up my university education first or if there are no exception for engineering students, should i start now. I need someone who can mentored along this line.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by durtman: 6:16pm On Oct 09, 2006
please im agraduate and ive finished my nysc since august 2005,im interested in finance as a career and i wish i could get a job in any stockbroking firm ive been finding it hard to get one ,can someone please help me in getting a job in this sector.
somebody said he is doing his intern in an asset management firm can u please link me to this firm may be i can able to secure a job there so i can start my career once.thanks
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by dremoney(m): 11:54am On May 25, 2007
hmmn,
solid contributions in here.
i salute una vision, very tite.
kip it up ya'll.
Re: Need Advice On Finance Career by manp1: 8:07pm On May 25, 2007
why don't you earn the prestigous ACIMFA(Associate certified investment manager and financial analyst) from IIMR (institute of investment management and research) to start with in your finance career. this designation will add more cream to your elbow in the UK because this will add to your experience base. so even if you find yourself lower than 2:1,you are still safe with this.

please pray to God to direct u in life. and please take up this offer very fast,it'll will help you more than you expect even in nigeria. remember, once you've it you've it.

for more information, contact me at:

samuel (08023054799).

pmconsults@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Uba Banking School Reopened! / Are Male Bankers Allowed To Keep Neat Facial Hair? / Systems Engineering Or Architecture- What Should I Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.