Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,432 members, 7,781,257 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:23 AM

Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam (16727 Views)

Why Are Some Christians So Obsessed With Islam. / Christianity Does Not Have Anything In Common With Islam / The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by maclatunji: 3:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
Pope urges dialogue with Islam, says world must do more for poor

Pope Francis urged the West on Friday to intensify dialogue with Islam and appealed to the world to do more to combat poverty.

The new pontiff made his appeal in an address to diplomats accredited to the Vatican, sending a message through them to the leaders of the more than 170 countries with which the Vatican has diplomatic relations.

Speaking in Italian, he also made another impassioned appeal for the defense of the poor and of the environment, saying richer countries should fight what he called "the spiritual poverty of our times" by re-forging links with God.

"How many poor people there still are in the world! And what great suffering they have to endure!" he told the diplomats in the Vatican's frescoed Sala Regia.

He urged them to help keep religion central in public life and promote inter-religious dialogue as a catalyst for efforts to build peace.

"In this work (peace building), the role of religion is fundamental. It is not possible to build bridges between people while forgetting God," he said.

"But the converse is also true: it is not possible to establish true links with God while ignoring other people. Hence it is important to intensify dialogue among the various religions, and I am thinking particularly of dialogue with Islam."

Francis, the former Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, said he was grateful that many Muslim religious and civilian leaders attended his inaugural Mass on Tuesday.

"Fighting poverty, both material and spiritual, building peace and constructing bridges: these, as it were, are the reference points for a journey that I want to invite each of the countries here represented to take up," he said.

He underlined the importance of protecting the environment when he explained why he had decided to take the name of St. Francis of Assisi, who is associated with austerity, help for the poor, and love of nature.

"Here too, it helps me to think of the name of (Saint)Francis, who teaches us profound respect for the whole of creation and the protection of our environment, which all too often, instead of using for the good, we exploit greedily, to one another's detriment," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-urges-dialogue-islam-says-world-must-more-103919637.html

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by maclatunji: 3:18pm On Mar 22, 2013
Point of correction Pope Francis, you can only have a dialogue with Muslims not Islam. Outside of that error, you have spoken well as is expected of a leader. However, I will add that people study Islam objectively and independently not through hearsay or what haters say.

13 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Alfamann: 3:22pm On Mar 22, 2013
unfortunately for you mr latunji, i am not a christian and much less a caholic so i am not obliged to have any dialogue with crazy people like you.

So go back to your cave and don't answer me so as not to disturb my guinness and bacon lunch.

11 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
maclatunji: Point of correction Pope Francis, you can only have a dialogue with Muslims not Islam. Outside of that error, you have spoken well as is expected of a leader. However, I will add that people study Islam objectively and independently not through hearsay or what haters say.
Lol. Going by the Muslim definition of 'dialogue' a la MacLaBANji 'islam for muslims section style', the pope would need a manual of 'do's and don't's when conversing with Muslims. He would probably warned to say nothing offensive to Islam e.g peace, gay rights, Jesus is God... etc..

Beyond that, the Pope's doing pretty well so far. I wish our so called 'true Christians aka Protestants and especially the Penterascals headed by CAN understand what roles they have to play to save our country from the BH menace...

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
of course he would , two sides of the same coin, Islam and Catholicism.

smiley

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by ooman(m): 3:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
He should tell bokoharam to stop bombing.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 22, 2013
Good afternoon Mr. Tunji,

This is a nice piece! The need for religious dialogue cannot be over emphasized; more-so at these times where people are either consciously or unconsciously prejudiced against one religion or the other.

It is my opinion that it is high time we destroyed and uprooted this 'growing' wall of prejudice we have implanted in our hearts and begin to see people for who they are and not the religion or irreligion they represent. Tolerance must be the watch-word!

Thank you!

9 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by maclatunji: 3:46pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi: Good afternoon Mr. Tunji,

This is a nice piece! The need for religious dialogue cannot be over emphasized; more-so at these times where people are either consciously or unconsciously prejudiced against one religion or the other.

It is my opinion that it is high time we destroyed and uprooted this 'growing' wall of prejudice we have implanted in our hearts and begin to see people for who they are and not the religion or irreligion they represent. Tolerance must be the watch-word!

Thank you!

You are welcome my good man.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi: Good afternoon Mr. Tunji,

Thank you!

"You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons." - 1 Corinthians 10:21

Jesus has nothing to do with false religion.

@ Brethren,

do not be deceived !!!

12 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 22, 2013
frosbel:

"You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons." - 1 Corinthians 10:21

Jesus has nothing to do with false religion.

@ Brethren,

do not be deceived !!!

Matthew 11:16-17
16 “Now, to what can I compare the people of this day? They are like children sitting in the marketplace. One group shouts to the other, 17 ‘We played wedding music for you, but you wouldn't dance! We sang funeral songs, but you wouldn't cry!’

#People will never be satisfied no matter what you do but continue doing good!

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Matthew 11:16-17
16 “Now, to what can I compare the people of this day? They are like children sitting in the marketplace. One group shouts to the other, 17 ‘We played wedding music for you, but you wouldn't dance! We sang funeral songs, but you wouldn't cry!’

#People will never be satisfied no matter what you do but continue doing good!

I am addressing the title of the post btw and not his entire speech which has a lot of good parts.

The crux of the matter is dialogue for what purpose ? Are Muslims going to believe that Jesus Christ is the WAY , the TRUTH and the LIFE ? If no , then there is no room for dialogue but prayer and preaching of the word of God to the lost , day and night.

St.Paul and co did not compromise with false religions or negotiate with them, they preached Christ and him crucified , they did not receive the applause and adoration from government or the false religion of the day, instead they were jailed, whipped, cursed, abused, rejected and killed.

There is no other way Pal but Jesus.

Any person who suggests otherwise is a wolf and hireling and careth not for the sheep.

Yes we should love all people, help all people with our resources, care for the poor and speak out against oppression, but at the end of the day, the most important thing is eternal life and freedom from sin , to deny people of this , is wickedness personified.

17 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
frosbel:

I am addressing the title of the post btw and not his entire speech which has a lot of good parts.

The crux of the matter is dialogue for what purpose ? Are Muslims going to believe that Jesus Christ is the WAY , the TRUTH and the LIFE ? If no , then there is no room for dialogue but prayer and preaching of the word of God to the lost , day and night.

St.Paul and co did not compromise with false religions or negotiate with them, they preached Christ and him crucified , they did not receivd the applause and adoration from government or the false religion of the day, instead they were jailed, whipped, cursed, abused, rejected and killed.

There is no other way Pal but Jesus.

Any person who suggests otherwise is a wolf and hireling and careth not for the sheep.

Yes we should love all people, help all people with our resources, care for the poor and speak out against oppression, but at the end of the day, the most important thing is eternal life and freedom from sin , to deny people of this is wickedness personified.

Mark 2:13-17
New International Version (NIV)

15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

#Dialogue was practiced by the master too

16 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Mark 2:13-17

15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

#Dialogue was practiced by the master too

Dialogue for the purpose of what ?

Is the purpose to show them the way , the truth and the life which is JESUS ? or is it to make peace with them and leave them with a false sense of security , that we will all make it into God' eternal kingdom irrespective of what we do with Jesus , and his great work of salvation , especially how we conduct ourselves to this regard.

Knowing what Pope John Paul II did to embrace all false religion, it seems to be the way with this so called mother church , accepting all and sundry , without any regard to the way this affects the integrity of the gospel.

I will keep saying it forever, the catholic church does not represent Jesus the Christ.

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." - Acts 4;12

6 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
frosbel:

Dialogue for the purpose of what ?

Is the purpose to show them the way , the truth and the life which is JESUS ? or is it to make peace with them and leave them with a false sense of security , that we will all make it into God' eternal kingdom irrespective of what we do with Jesus , and his great work of salvation , especially how we conduct ourselves to this regard.

Knowing what Pope John Paul II did to embrace all false religion, it seems to be the way with this so called mother church , accepting all and sundry , without any regard to the way this affects the integrity of the gospel.

I will keep saying it forever, the catholic church does not represent Jesus the Christ.

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." - Acts 4;12

Well Bro Frosbel, I guess you really do not know how dialogue works. Since you won't accept what I say because I am Catholic, let St. Paul educate you a bit on it:

Acts 17:16-22

16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection.

19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Well Bro Frosbel, I guess you really do not know how dialogue works. Since you won't accept what I say because I am Catholic, let St. Paul educate you a bit on it:

Acts 17:16-22

16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection.

19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

Good.

So do you accept that Pope John Paul II erred when he implied that all religions led to God ?

Or are the images below your idea of dialogue ?

Kissing Quran

[img]http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/popeandbuddhist.jpg[/img]
In Buddhist temple

[img]http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/popeandshivamark.jpg[/img]
Pope takes in his forehead the pagan idol mark
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 22, 2013
frosbel:

Good.

So do you accept that Pope John Paul II erred when he implied that all religions led to God ?

Is this about the actions of Pope Johnpaul or about the title of the thread??

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Is this about the actions of Pope Johnpaul or about the title of the thread??

Trying to educate the gullible on what the catholic church means when they say dialogue, it has nothing to do with telling them out of love, that they need to believe in Jesus to receive eternal life or they will be forever lost.

The catholic dialogue from experience and practice is an all embracing ecumenical attempt to conglomerate all religions under one umbrella in the name of peace and humanity, while caring less for the integrity and honor of the gospel.

9 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by ooman(m): 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2013
Dont forget that Pope JP2 also said evolution was right. That God made all things and "allow" them to evolve.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
frosbel:

Trying to educate the gullible on what the catholic church means when they say dialogue, it has nothing to do with telling them ,out of love, that they need to believe in Jesus to receive eternal life or they will be forever lost.

The catholic dialogue from experience and practice is an all embracing ecumenical attempt to conglomerate all religions under one umbrella in the name of peace and humanity, while caring less for the integrity and honor of the gospel.

Absolutely no need for name-calling! I thought you read the dialogue of Paul with unbelievers...the first rule that ought to jump right at you is that you do not use words that are capable of making your dialogue fruitless...learn from Christ and Paul and do not let your 'hate' overwhelm you.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 22, 2013
ooman: Dont forget that Pope JP2 also said evolution was right. That God made all things and "allow" them to evolve.

Guy oya vamoose! I will oblige your line of thought on another thread!

#Evolution in part is correct.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by ooman(m): 4:52pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

hmmm I pity you ooo!

when science finally find the secret of life, then you will swallowed your tongue. But for now, you still get mouth.

Anyway sha, the pope said that and you can't change it.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
ooman:

hmmm I pity you ooo!

when science finally find the secret of life, then you will swallowed your tongue. But for now, you still get mouth.

Anyway sha, the pope said that and you can't change it.

The pope only affirmed my position...creation and evolution goes together.

The secret of life is right under our very nose...science will discover it only when God believes we are ready to know how he did it. Like always, God always leads us gently to the truth.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by iamswizz(m): 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2013
ok
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Godjone(m): 5:13pm On Mar 22, 2013
the muslim umah by way of fortitude, recognition, mature human isight and tolerance, have not since the inuaguration of this new pope, issue any statement in form of congratulatory massage. But here is my noble and peaceful pope calling for dialogue with them. What an examplary life! Papal Francis, may God guide you.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by YorubaOmoge: 5:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
[size=18pt]They should.

The most dangerous and wicked religions should have a parley on how to kuku end the world. [/size]
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by ooman(m): 5:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

The pope only affirmed my position...creation and evolution goes together.

The secret of life is right under our very nose...science will discover it only when God believes we are ready to know how he did it. Like always, God always leads us gently to the truth.

If that is the case, if it is God that directs discovery of science, one would expect science to quickly find answer to diseases like AIDS and other genetic disorder.

Is God busy now? why hasn't he led us to curing cancer?
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2013
##xpository. Am nt following wat any church believes bt what d bible teaches. And thats enof 4 me##
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by sureteeboy(m): 5:18pm On Mar 22, 2013
And that's the NEW WORLD ORDER . I doubt if this pope doesn't belong to satan as I read at jesus-is-savior fb fan page. Who told him peace will reign on earth b4 Jesus comes? Is that in the bible or quran?? .
GUYS, beware, Anybody talking about international peace belongs to the new world order which is from the devil (ILLUMIMATI). UNITED NATIONS AND USA ITSELF NOW BELONG TO THE DEVIL. If not, what is a satanic logo doing on their money?. It's truely the end time

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
frosbel:

Good.

Kissing Quran

[img]http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/popeandbuddhist.jpg[/img]
In Buddhist temple

[img]http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/popeandshivamark.jpg[/img]
OMG!!! Neva knew dat! Sory 4 dz poor folks who wit abundant evidence stil preferred a lie.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 22, 2013
ooman:

If that is the case, if it is God that directs discovery of science, one would expect science to quickly find answer to diseases like AIDS and other genetic disorder.

Is God busy now? why hasn't he led us to curing cancer?

What we keep getting wrong is expecting God to work with our time-table. God is a sovereign and he dose things when he wants to...I am human and I can choose to keep an answer to a puzzle to myself without fear or favour...God can do the same!

#Thread has hit the homepage, might be going off soon.
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Smh, evolution is a huge deception of d devil. Its one of d suprisin n popular lie 4rm d pit of hell.
Or, u agree dt u descended 4rm d lineage of baboons who changed 2 human afta period of yrz?
Re: Pope Francis Urges For Dialogue With Islam by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 22, 2013
idnoble135:
Smh, evolution is a huge deception of d devil. Its one of d suprisin n popular lie 4rm d pit of hell.
Or, u agree dt u descended 4rm d lineage of baboons who changed 2 human afta period of yrz?

It's best you read and comprehend before you post. If you do not understand, there is always the option of asking questions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? / See How This Equation And Analogy Prove The Idea Of The Trinity Wrong / 10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.