Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,549 members, 7,809,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? (22527 Views)

Is This A Rolls Royce Or Mercedes Benz G550/G500? / Honda Hala Or Mercedes 190 - Which One Should I Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by dcorious: 10:08am On Apr 11, 2008
i am glad you guys enjoyed the read up as much as i did. I am still waiting to see what chanceman will say ( maybe he will say that i paid for the research) hahahaha  grin
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Ivvie: 8:12pm On Apr 11, 2008
|
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by CHANCEMAN: 9:54pm On Apr 11, 2008
dcorious,one year's report does not history make.Delorean came and where are they now?
My guy that is the problem i always have with you BMW lovers, you do not want to give respect to whom it is due.
MB is a pace setter and market leader as regards the automobile industry.That is why companies like BMW etc are always benchmarking MB trying to compete with them .Okay why don't you compare BMW to LEXUS or CADILLAC.MB is regarded asthe market leader so everybody sets out to beat them so when you see reviews where BMW beats a BENZ you all jump for joy.
The underlying bias of most of these reviews is that BENZAS are pricy.To compete others just bring out models with more specs at a cheaper price and then argue about value for money.
Anyhow I have nothing against BMW cars infact I love a few of them but BENZA IS BABA.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by dcorious: 8:08am On Apr 12, 2008
Truth be told, not all models of BMW are better than their Benz counterpart but ultimately when a combination of all the brand are put together the BMW comes out Tops. The lower end BMW are more luxurious then the lower end Mercedes, but when you go into higher classes, the Mercedes shows off its true name to quality. Mercedes is a luxury cruiser and a BMW is a sport sedan.

Like i said before,Both have luxury options, but BMW sacrifices some comfort for performance.

Honestly i just think BENZ is living off its old achievements and name.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by sultaan(m): 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2008
Simply look at it this way;

Lexus= luxury
Mercedes= luxury
Mercedes AMG= sport luxury
BMW= 1/2 sport luxury (5-7 luxury, 3 sport)
Audi= sport luxury
Acura=1/2 sport luxury

What I meant by 1/2 sport luxury is that the flagship cars are luxurious and other cars are more sporty e.g the Acura RL is luxurious, but the TL.TSX, and RSX is sporty.Lexus only has the F-series, and IS250/350 as sporty versions
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Ivvie: 4:42pm On Apr 12, 2008
|
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by dcorious: 6:09pm On Apr 12, 2008
Sultan,

Nice one. your post just gave us a pretty good picture on how luxury is distributed among the high end cars
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Echeozo(m): 4:29pm On Apr 15, 2008
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by nkc(m): 4:40pm On Apr 15, 2008
Echeozo:

@dcorious

I guess some of us here are Top gear (the most accepted car show on tv)fans.Why not take a trip to the archives:Check Top gear on BBC America,5th of April 2008.The comparison was between Mercedes E-class estate and the BMW M5 estate(station wagon). The merc,once again,led the way.
Peep into www.mbusa.com.
I don't think you've seen the SLR perform or you even know why G-class remains the top in its class.
Stop posting reviews that are of little acceptance.

MERCEDES BENZ REMAINS UNPARALLELED.

Very True
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 15, 2008
Echeozo:

@dcorious

I guess some of us here are Top gear (the most accepted car show on tv)fans.Why not take a trip to the archives:Check Top gear on BBC America,5th of April 2008.The comparison was between Mercedes E-class estate and the BMW M5 estate(station wagon). The merc,once again,led the way.
Peep into www.mbusa.com.
I don't think you've seen the SLR perform or you even know why G-class remains the top in its class.
Stop posting reviews that are of little acceptance.

MERCEDES BENZ REMAINS UNPARALLELED.

You can't make people see a car from your viewpoint. Anyone is free to post what's acceptable to them.

People want different things from a car, and as I've said before, their definition of luxury may differ from yours. There's no right or wrong, and it's certainly not a case of the majority wins.

I personally find Mercedes more luxurious than BMW, but if it was a choice of where I placed my money in terms of purchase, I'd pick the BMW. It's more my kind of car, regardless of the toys it has, (or may not have) compared to Mercedes.

1 Like

Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Echeozo(m): 5:09am On Apr 16, 2008
?
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by proo212(m): 11:43am On Apr 16, 2008
Mercedes Benz are lovely cars, so are BMWs. I concur with Siena on this one. Luxury mean different things to different people. I still believe that BMW are better drivers than Mercedes (this is coming from someone who drives a CLK).

I was disappointed with Mercedes when the New S-Class came out and found out the dashboard was very similar to BMW to 7 Series. I thought Mercedes were innovators. Similar is happening on the new E-Class due out in 09. Picture of the new E Class below. I see the display screen in the middle (BMW), the gear stalk on the steering column (BMW 7-Series), the dial next to the arm rest (a la the much criticised iDrive) Imitation they say is the best form of flattery.

@Echeozo, I would assume you are comparing a Mercedes E63 AMG Estate to a BMW M5 Estate. (like for like). The E63 engine has more torque than the M5 V10 power (no questions) but power wise there is not much to choose between them, so in that guise you can conceed that the Merc won. Mercedes finally got their pound of flesh!

But going back to the original topic - Luxury. When it comes to the oberklasse. The S-Class, Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Volkswagen Phaeton, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS and in this regard I will even add the new Maserati Quattroporte, it's all about image now. All of these offer luxury in abundance, all conceivable extras can ordered. They are all fantastic drives. The only cars struggling for image and (not presence) is the Phaeton and Lexus to a large extent in Europe. Probably the best build quality and engineering (apart from the Lexus) in this class but at the end of the day it is still a Volkswagen. The Maserati has its own niche and ever since Ferrari took over has developed better cars.

At end of the day it's all relative, With my money, I will buy a used Phaeton just because I want to be different  cheesy

Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by nkc(m): 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2008
@proo

i love vw's, funny thing when i said it earlier no one asked, which, and u did, phaeton all d way bro, love u man grin

just for d class

all cars come with luxury, heck, even murcileaggo(did i get d spelling correct grin)
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by brauneyes: 2:14am On Apr 17, 2008
proo212:

Mercedes Benz are lovely cars, so are BMWs. I concur with Siena on this one. Luxury mean different things to different people. I still believe that BMW are better drivers than Mercedes (this is coming from someone who drives a CLK).

I was disappointed with Mercedes when the New S-Class came out and found out the dashboard was very similar to BMW to 7 Series. I thought Mercedes were innovators. Similar is happening on the new E-Class due out in 09. Picture of the new E Class below. I see the display screen in the middle (BMW), the gear stalk on the steering column (BMW 7-Series), the dial next to the arm rest (a la the much criticised iDrive) Imitation they say is the best form of flattery.

@Echeozo, I would assume you are comparing a Mercedes E63 AMG Estate to a BMW M5 Estate. (like for like). The E63 engine has more torque than the M5 V10 power (no questions) but power wise there is not much to choose between them, so in that guise you can conceed that the Merc won. Mercedes finally got their pound of flesh!

But going back to the original topic - Luxury. When it comes to the oberklasse. The S-Class, Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Volkswagen Phaeton, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS and in this regard I will even add the new Maserati Quattroporte, it's all about image now. All of these offer luxury in abundance, all conceivable extras can ordered. They are all fantastic drives. The only cars struggling for image and (not presence) is the Phaeton and Lexus to a large extent in Europe. Probably the best build quality and engineering (apart from the Lexus) in this class but at the end of the day it is still a Volkswagen. The Maserati has its own niche and ever since Ferrari took over has developed better cars.

At end of the day it's all relative, With my money, I will buy a used Phaeton just because I want to be different cheesy

Denkst Du, dass diese Leute hier verstehen was oberklasse ist?
Bitte, schreib mal auf Deutsch bevor ich die Sprache vergesse.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by nkc(m): 2:49am On Apr 17, 2008
brauneyes:

Denkst Du, dass diese Leute hier verstehen was oberklasse ist?
Bitte, schreib mal auf Deutsch bevor ich die Sprache vergesse.

translated

grin

Do you think that these people here understand what is super first-class?
Please, write sometimes in German before I the language forgets.

notin dey hapen, i am on top of yur game grin grin grin grin
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by proo212(m): 9:39am On Apr 17, 2008
hehehehe, Let's stick to the topic. Nkc hope you didn't use a translator grin

I'm sure we'll find ways to speak German.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by nkc(m): 10:11am On Apr 17, 2008
na men , i had to, grin

a man gotta to do, what a mans gotta do grin

we have to stick to d topic, b4 we start arguing unneccasrily, the best answer to this stuff, since day one

is and i quote

sultaan:

Simply look at it this way;

Lexus= luxury
Mercedes= luxury
Mercedes AMG= sport luxury
BMW= 1/2 sport luxury (5-7 luxury, 3 sport)
Audi= sport luxury
Acura=1/2 sport luxury

What I meant by 1/2 sport luxury is that the flagship cars are luxurious and other cars are more sporty e.g the Acura RL is luxurious, but the TL.TSX, and RSX is sporty.Lexus only has the F-series, and IS250/350 as sporty versions
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by sultaan(m): 8:02pm On Apr 18, 2008
As I was driving today, I saw a BMW pass me in my V8 and I thought what da blip!!

I looked closely and I saw the most scary 2007 BMW; the 760Li shocked :oI just pulled back to save my engine.The girl driving it was about 22( fine ebony goddess.)

I don't think a S600 will have such an effect on me.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by CHANCEMAN: 8:13pm On Apr 19, 2008
NO comparison is necessary between the 2 cars the supremacy of the BENZ in this category is not in doubt.Look BMW's tend to be sporty targeted at the upwardly mobile(new dough) so at first glance they are eye catching,I guess that is what you are trying to say,however that is just one of the qualities of a luxury car,your observations and conclusions being debatable.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2008
You're probably right, Chanceman.

However, I'd always choose BMW over Mercedes, regardless.

Mercedes just doesn't do it for me.
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by samo(m): 2:30am On Oct 17, 2014
dcorious:
Hi guys, I couldnt help but contribute to this dicussion.

I own a BMW 3 series, i have been driving the brand (BMW) since the late 90s. I ocasionally drive the old man's E class benz, but i promise you i dont get the same satisfaction like i do from my baby. I LOVE THE BM BRAND (always have and always will). No doubt, mercedes makes brilliant cars but nothing for me compares to a BMW. Sincerely once you taste it, it is hard to let go (just like cocaine). I dont think i will ever be able to own any other brand. its going to be BMW for me, my wife and my kids. BMW ROCKS!!!!!!!! grin

BM4LIFE

I agree with dcorious, there is a popular saying amongst BM drivers, once you drive a BM you would never want to drive another car.

I have driven both Benz and BM and currently own a BM 3 series 6 cylinders 320i

From my observation, BM cars are very responsive you would notice this when shifting gears, (down or up shifts) you immediately feel the surge of power. ( I think that's why BM boast about their manual shift over their auto shift).

However when it comes to the shocks, I think Benz absorbs more gallops and has better comfort. With a Benz you hardly feel the energy or speed of the car or when you enter gallops (trust 9ja roads angry ). You could be doing 160 - 200 kph and won't even know or feel it, but with a BM you feel the raw energy of the car, and may feel the bumps because BM is more rigid like.

I also like the sound of the BM when you rev up the engine over a Benz.

I prefer a BM , it suits my temperament ( I could be aggressive and take risks) which in a way is what a BM does. grin

1 Like

Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by chucky234(m): 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2014
Hmmm one of the toughest car comparisons resurrected from the dead.
Oya let the debate begin.....
Re: Most Luxury: BMW Or Mercedes? by Chineduogbojo95: 11:15pm On Jan 04, 2019

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trip: Abuja - Enugu & Anambra, With My 605 V6 (1500 Km) / See The Futuristic Mobile Food Truck Requires Less Human Intervention / Recovered Vehicle In A Police Station In Port-Harcourt. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.