Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,833 members, 7,806,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? (4739 Views)

Mikel Shuns Captain Arm Band During Match / Wayne Rooney And The Captain Arm Band! Is The Pressure Getting On Him? / Mikel Captain Chelsea In Fa Cup and his first goal for 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by ceejay80: 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
I watched some matches of our Olympics '96 Dream Team recently and I observed Kanu Nwankwo was the Captain of that very successful team despite him being one of the youngest players.

This was despite the presence in that team of older, more experienced & full fledged internationals & Super Eagles regulars like Uche Okechukwu, Victor Ikpeba, Emmanuel Ammuneke, Daniel Amokachi etc.

But in this days, our coaches give the Captain's arm band to the oldest/most senior player in the team.

This raises the question; Should the Captain's Arm Band be Given to a player based on AGE, NO OF YEARS IN THE NATIONAL TEAM OR MERIT i.e A player with proven leadership qualities who rallies the team and inspires his team mates cos lets face it. . .the oldest or most senior players may not have these qualities.

It's interesting to note that although Yobo (& Enyeama) was our captain on the field @ the last AFCON, Mikel more or less acted the role.

NLDers, what do you think? Should the Captain arm band be given to the oldest player (by age in the team), the most senior & experienced player (by years in the National team) or strictly by merit (even if he's the youngest player in the team).

Let's discuss this. . . . .
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Nasri100(m): 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
Doesn't really matter, Fabregas was the captain of Arsenal at what age? Very soon Wilshere would be the captain too cheesy

Besides you childish fools always updating " First to comment " Learn from me jeez

1 Like

Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Dee60: 2:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
come up with a better question, please.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by jigawatts(m): 2:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
Nasri100: Doesn't really matter, Fabregas was the captain of Arsenal at what age? Very soon Wilshere would be the captain too cheesy

Besides you childish fools always updating " First to comment " Learn from me jeez

OKKKKKKK undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Olumikedos(m): 2:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
it is age and maturity.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by mcevans1(m): 2:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
I think it should be by merit. Age is nothing but a number and giving a captain band to a player should be determined by his performance as a key player in the team.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
Guess its based on the person's personality,as in maturity,and mannerism displayed by the person. Most tyme,its given to a team player.
#justmythought#.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by slimming: 2:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
It should be by experience.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Joemint(m): 2:31pm On Mar 25, 2013
I lv diz particular topic.
4me mikel deserves d captain arm band, he iz d man who sets d game 4 oda players 2folow, and he hz dat leadership spirit- alwz tryin 2plead wit d refs 4unfair decisions.
Morova he is d most composd player in d pitch.
My tak iz dat d arm band shuld go 2 a player wit such gud qualities as mentioned of mikel above n nt by age

1 Like

Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by AnodaIT(m): 2:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
Emotional maturity, leadership skills and closeness to the manager ( not for unmerited favour but that they can relate well)
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by ceejay80: 2:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
Why steven keshi allow yobo lift the cup while na our goalee wear the arm band through out the tournament and na him deserve the arm band?
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by yuzedo: 2:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
INFLUENCE.

Within the team, outside, and with match officials and stakeholders.

That is the greatest determinant of captaincy.

1 Like

Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by warrikid(m): 2:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
In this order.
1.Maturity(includes leadership qualities and charisma)
2.Merit
3.Age
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
1. The captain should be a good team player and one who is always positive about results.
2. He must be a good role model.
Therefore I think it shouldn't be based on age but merit.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by mosquitoNet(m): 2:34pm On Mar 25, 2013
Nasri100: Doesn't really matter, Fabregas was the captain of Arsenal at what age? Very soon Wilshere would be the captain too cheesy

You dey tale style proclaim your position ba

It's should give due to merits and experience not age IMO.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by ceejay80: 2:36pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dee60: come up with a better question, please.
answer dis better question below
ARE U CRAZY?

1 Like

Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:39pm On Mar 25, 2013
Seniority & merit.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by dadicvila(m): 2:41pm On Mar 25, 2013
I no care about all this una plenty talk all I know be say make Ambrosini and Abbiati retire at the end of this season make them give M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ captain band to Montolivo......age ko,maturity ni?U̶̲̥̅̊ no need watch your team match 6 times before you go know who sopos be captain
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Regiblinkz(m): 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2013
I don't know since I'm no coach
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by omodapson(m): 2:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
What about Charisma?
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
Op, those players you mention was members of the over aged players as approved by FIFA and that is to say they are not originally members of that team
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Kanimoe(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
Its by a players QUALITY and INFLUENCE.

1 Like

Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Tunjman(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
Kanu Nwankwo was given the captain badge in Atlanta 96 because, he's the leader of the dream team...all the senior players you mentioned were just there as motivation to the younger players. Having said that, captain badge should/is given out to player with charisma (one who can control fellow team mates on and off the pitch), a long serving player with good track records, one who can mediate between the team and management with unparalleled diplomacy.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Austinio: 3:02pm On Mar 25, 2013
96 Dream team is under 23 not senior national team. Y didn't he captain frace 98. D lik of Ikpeba nd Co, made d team bc sm No of over aged players a allowed by fifa rule. So is based on seniority nd merit.

1 Like

Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by ffo(m): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
i dont think my opinion will change anything, cus im sure Keshi is not reading this post and even if he does, it doesnt count.
let me save my energy and time.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by kingingkinging: 3:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
Austinio: 96 Dream team is under 23 not senior national team. Y didn't he captain frace 98. D lik of Ikpeba nd Co, made d team bc sm No of over aged players a allowed by fifa rule. So is based on seniority nd merit.

Exactly. The likes of Uche, Amunike, etc were over-aged but allowed by FIFA to be part of the Olympics team.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Dsage1: 3:39pm On Mar 25, 2013
It should be by seniority.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Theloveth(m): 3:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
yuzedo: INFLUENCE.

Within the team, outside, and with match officials and stakeholders.

That is the greatest determinant of captaincy.
Also leadership qualities and being vocal.Despite Wilsheres age,the man has the heart of a lion and cheers his other mates up when they are down that is what a captain should do.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 25, 2013
By the coach's decision!
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by Gentle024: 4:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
Captains arm band to me should be giving by merit. Any player who merited to hold it whether young or old should hold it. Age doesn't really count in football.
Re: Captain Arm Band: Should It Be By Age, Seniority Or Merit? by simongonner: 5:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
CHARISMA

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex Super Eagles Defender Spotted Loading Buses At Enugu Park. / Maximum Payout Now N1.5m On Bet9ja / Funny Meme scenario must football gamblers Passes Through

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.