Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Should We Still Learn 'oral English' In Our Secondary Schools? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should We Still Learn 'oral English' In Our Secondary Schools? (1262 Views)

They Should Cancel The Art Class In Our Secondary Schools! / Bullying In Our Secondary Schools share Your Views! / Do People Still Learn SHORTHAND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should We Still Learn 'oral English' In Our Secondary Schools? by ow11(m): 11:53am On Mar 30, 2008
When I was in secondary school, I was made to pronounce English words in a certain way and even wrote exams based on pronunciation. I just wonder if it is necessary.

Americans,Brits, Australians and even South Africans pronounce english words differently.So i ask, which is more correct? Even in the UK, many accents adorn the landscape.so I wonder why are we forced to learn an accent different to what we grew up with?

Could this be the reason Nigerians feel insecure about their ability to pronounce english and words and try to imitate foreign accents when they leave the shores of this country?
Re: Should We Still Learn 'oral English' In Our Secondary Schools? by LearnBook: 11:25am On Mar 31, 2008
Yes. I was shocked to find that in some places oral English is not tested. In my opinion the quality of spoken English in Nigeria has deteriorated in the last decade.

(1) (Reply)

Unizik Releases First Batch / Recount Bad Experience U Had In The University Here / Spdc Niger Delta Post-graduate Scholarship Scheme Ucl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.