Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG (6099 Views)

Masked Witnesses Cannot Testify Against Kanu - Court To FG / Fayose To FG: Tell Nigerians Owners Of REMITA / Repulsive Odour Forces Reps To Adjourn Till Nov 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by MAYOWAAK: 8:09am On Mar 27, 2013
The Senate has scheduled a session on Wednesday in honour of the late Chinua Achebe, who died on March 21 in the United States.

During the senate's sitting on Tuesday, a senator from Anambra, Chris Ngige raised a motion on matters of urgent national importance.

Ngige, acknowledged and said he was pleased with the deluge of tributes flowing in for the late Achebe who he described as his "constituent."

Over at the House of Representatives, the legislators urged the Federal Government to name the National Library under construction or any other monument in the country in the honour of late Achebe.

According to reports:

The motion was moved by Rep.Charles Odedo (ACN -Anambra). The motion entitled: “Tribute to Professor Chinua Achebe’’ was adopted in Abuja when put to vote by Speaker Aminu Tambuwal.

Odedo said the late Achebe brought honour to Nigeria with his literary works that included his novel, “Things Fall apart’’.

He said the novel, which was written in 1958, had been translated into more than 50 languages, and had sold more than 12 million copies.

Odedo said the late Achebe in 1992 was represented in Everyman’s Library Collection.

Contributing to the debate, Hassan Saleh (PDP-Benue) said the late Achebe was one of the greatest human beings to have emerged from Nigeria.

He said the late Achebe had done so much in his literary works for “past generation and other generations to come’’.

The legislator urged members to support the motion so that future generations would draw lessons from the late literary icon.

In his tribute to the late Achebe, Toby Ikechukwu (PDP-Enugu) said the writer was a poet and novelist, adding that his works represented various stages of Nigeria’s democracy.

Ali Madaki (PDP-Kano) said Nigerians do not celebrate their heroes until their death.

He said: “We should learn to identify our heroes when they are alive and not wait until they are dead.”

The motion was not opposed and the Speaker, thereafter, referred it to the Committee on Governmental Affairs for further legislative inputs.

http://www.thescoopng.com/today-is-achebe-day-at-the-nigerian-senate-house-wants-monument-named-after-him/
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by gbadexy(m): 8:32am On Mar 27, 2013
Would he have wanted this if he were to be alive?
I think he would rather prefer the ndigbo to name a monument after him in igbo heartland.
He made it clear the love and passion for his tribe and his support for independent ibo nation.

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Pataki: 8:40am On Mar 27, 2013
The easiest way to spit on Achebe and on his grave is by according him a national recognition in his death.

Achebe clearly did not like the existence of a one Nigeria. He was biafra by heart and soul. He severally rejected whatever national award the nation and the government wanted to give to him.

If the senate wants to honor, please march to his Ogidiland and build whatever you want there in his name.

Achebe would be hissing wherever he is right now, to hear that he is being considered for national recognition.

7 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 27, 2013
Why should you name a national monument after someone that doesn't believe in Nigeria ? Ashebe has shown the world he hates Nigeria and nothing should be named after him at the national level.

His ibo people should name Anambra state after him and let Nigerians be.

5 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by nduchucks: 9:04am On Mar 27, 2013
I don't believe that Achebe himself would have appreciated this honour given that he rejected all national honours which were accorded to him when he was alive. They can go and immortalize Achebe in Anambra state if they wish, The senators should allow the man to rest in peace.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by OurYansh: 9:12am On Mar 27, 2013
Bad Idea... Achebe is‎​ a Biafran and not a Nigerian!!

angry

4 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by fkaz(m): 9:15am On Mar 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: I don't believe that Achebe himself would have appreciated this honour given that he rejected all national honours which were accorded to him when he was alive. They can go and immortalize Achebe in Anambra state if they wish, The senators should allow the man to rest in peace.

[size=18pt]Gbam

You are onpoint [/size]
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Gwekzy: 9:17am On Mar 27, 2013
Our Yansh: Bad Idea... Achebe is‎​ a Biafran and not a Nigerian!!

angry
. Wow!!! I can see dat foolishness is your GoD Keep worshiping.

2 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by anonimi: 9:20am On Mar 27, 2013
Good move to honour the legendary author of Things Fall Apart.
I hope GEJ will act sharp, sharp on this.
No dulling.

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 9:22am On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki: The easiest way to spit on Achebe and on his grave is by according him a national recognition in his death.

Achebe clearly did not like the existence of a one Nigeria. He was biafra by heart and soul. He severally rejected whatever national award the nation and the government wanted to give to him.

If the senate wants to honor, please march to his Ogidiland and build whatever you want there in his name.

Achebe would be hissing wherever he is right now, to hear that he is being considered for national recognition.

Hope you know his family can reject it? And they would.

Carry your detestable Nigerian National Award and give the likes of Tinubu, Alams and Shekaru.

Achebe's in the league of Mandela, and the likes. Not those shenanigans

23 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 27, 2013
National library and the national Theater will be ok, This man is the best writer Africa has produced and one of the few in the whole world. Nigeria as a country should quickly tap to his pedigree, Respect and glory before some other countries do.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by PointB: 9:27am On Mar 27, 2013
What some of you folks say or think about this is clearly immaterial. Achebe became Biafran as a matter of circumstance. 'Things Fall Apart' was written in 1958 long before the first bullet of the Biafran was fired. His last work, the memoir, 'There was a country' remains his personal accounts of the Nigeria civil war - a war sane nation should have sat down to discuss and appreciate with the intention of forestalling a re-occurance. But in typical Nigeria fashion, the opportunity was missed. Even in death his works reminds Nigeria of their glorious and rich past, her mistakes, and ultimately opportunity to make amends. Alas again like Nigeria we rather pander to sentiments.

Naming the National Library in his honour is too little a token to show apprecitaion to this great man. How about Abuja Univeristy in addition, and of course only for starters?

21 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by anonimi: 9:28am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

I thought the NASS representaTHIEF who moved the motion is from his area i.e. representing the family at the national level.
Nor be so again

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Akshow: 9:30am On Mar 27, 2013
CHESSBOARD: National library and the national Theater will be ok, This man is the best writer Africa has produced and one of the few in the whole world. Nigeria as a country should quickly tap to his pedigree, Respect and glory before some other countries do.
What will other countries do wit his respect and glory? They dont have there own literary icons or what? The world does not revolve around achebe abeg. @topic, i think it is a wrong step considering the fact that e never wanted any of naija's mediocre award when he was alive. Let them let the old man rest abeg.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by nawtyme: 9:31am On Mar 27, 2013
Prof Chinua will torment all those who will read in that Library. It should be named after criminals like Tinubu or Buhari Bin Laden. Pls Nigeria, leave Prof Chinua alone.

4 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ochukoccna: 9:33am On Mar 27, 2013
The first 4 replies to this post have nailed it IMHO cool cool
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Fantacy1(m): 9:34am On Mar 27, 2013
[quote author=ndu_chucks]I don't believe that Achebe himself would have appreciated this honour given that he rejected all national honours which were accorded to him when he was alive. They can go and immortalize Achebe in Anambra state if they wish, The senators should allow the man to rest in peace.
Exactly, Achebe is a man of his word "d 2ru test of intelligence is itz blunt refusal 2 be compromised".
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Akshow: 9:36am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

Carry your detestable Nigerian National Award and give the likes of Tinubu, Alams and Shekaru.

Achebe's in the league of Mandela, and the likes. Not those shenanigans
in the league of mandela? HahaHaha i laugh in Spanish. Comparin death and sleep. Comparin life and death. Fyi Mandela fought for all not for his clan. He never believed his people are superior than others as achebe erroneously believed. He love and fought for the common goal of all black and coloured people not jus for his clan So What is the basis of your comparison. Pls dont rubbish Mandiba and drag his name into your Nairaland tribalism.

6 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 9:37am On Mar 27, 2013
anonimi:

I thought the NASS representaTHIEF who moved the motion is from his area i.e. representing the family at the national level.
Nor be so again

The representaTHIEF is not a member of Achebe's familiy.

I think your line of argument is fundamentally flawed. Your president GEJ, the decisions he has taken are they representative of what you wanted? I am sure, no is the answer.

It is like you don't get what Achebe stood for and found serious fault in. The whole system that governs this country, is faulty. And that representaTHIEF is part of the system.

4 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 9:39am On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: in the league of mandela? HahaHaha i laugh in Spanish. Comparin death and sleep. Comparin life and death. Fyi Mandela fought for all not for his clan. He never believed his people are superior than others as achebe erroneously believed. He love and fought for the common goal of all black and coloured people not jus for his clan So What is the basis of your comparison. Pls dont rubbish Mandiba and drag his name into your Nairaland tribalism.

'Achebe is the man in whose company the prison walls came down'- Nelson Mandela.

I shall wait to read the tribute Nelson Mandela will write about you.

21 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by MrGlobe(m): 9:41am On Mar 27, 2013
we are indifferent. Peter Obi should immortalize him with a prestigious state property. Nigeria immortalization is without any value anyway. A Certain abiola was immortalized by the FG with Unilag and it was rescinded. shame

7 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by TableLeg(m): 9:44am On Mar 27, 2013
Deserves to be .... RIP Chinua Achebe
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by simmydebadest(m): 9:52am On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki: The easiest way to spit on Achebe and on his grave is by according him a national recognition in his death.

shut up!

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ITbomb(m): 9:57am On Mar 27, 2013
Achebe rejected all National honours when he was alive, I'm sure he will be rolling in his grave if any is name after him.
the best you can do, as he always said, is to enthrone true federalism in the country

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Akshow: 9:59am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

'Achebe is the man in whose company the prison walls came down'- Nelson Mandela.

I shall wait to read the tribute Nelson Mandela will write about you.
So Because mandela said that about him that is your basis for Comparin him wit Mandiba? He is a writer and mandela was merely appreciating his book and contribution to African literature! Dont ever compare mandela wit achebe pls. Don't even dream of it.

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by networkrecharg: 10:00am On Mar 27, 2013
simmy de badest: shut up!
let this honor be the first.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by jimharry21(m): 10:00am On Mar 27, 2013
About the first four replies to this post demonstrated a typical Nigerian mediocre level of thinking. the very vice the late professor was combating when he rejected national awards pointing to the grave sufferings of many Nigerians and the depth corrupting has eating this Nation. He said in "There was a Country" that rejecting the award was the only tool in his disposal to protest the way of governance in Nigeria. so dear people try as much as you can to broaden your imagination and knowledge of any topic before passing a sweeping judgment. Thumbs-up Senators and Reps.

5 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by seguno2: 10:01am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

The representaTHIEF is not a member of Achebe's familiy.

I think your line of argument is fundamentally flawed. Your president GEJ, the decisions he has taken are they representative of what you wanted? I am sure, no is the answer.

It is like you don't get what Achebe stood for and found serious fault in. The whole system that governs this country, is faulty. And that representaTHIEF is part of the system.

Wgat was Achebe's contibution to ensure that the representaTHIEVES to Abuja from his area are credible people who can adequately reflect his views at the national level including negotiatin GREATER autonomy in the last two constitutional amendments passed in the NASS?
Abeg I hope seu you nor mind to educate an uninformed persin laiki me, sir.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by vykte(m): 10:03am On Mar 27, 2013
The Aboki said it all...we only celebrate our heroes after their demise

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by cantell(m): 10:05am On Mar 27, 2013

On point.
~Bluetooth:

Why should you name a national monument after someone that doesn't believe in Nigeria ? Ashebe has shown the world he hates Nigeria and nothing should be named after him at the national level.

His ibo people should name Anambra state after him and let Nigerians be.
Alas! He never fails to disappoint. It must have been such a burden to your parents, raising a half-brain like you. Like them, i think i'm getting used to it.
Carry on, Adamu!

7 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by baynix(m): 10:05am On Mar 27, 2013
Must We Name Everythin After Some Heroes?? BTW.. Achebe Was A Tribalist!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari In Trouble: Is This The End of the road? / Meet Nigeria’s Poorest Ex-governor - He Has 3 Mud Houses / I Hereby Renounce My Support On Buhari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.