Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,647 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Why Must You Use "Being" Instead Of Been In Sentences? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Must You Use "Being" Instead Of Been In Sentences? (3634 Views)

Why Do We Begin Sentences With 'am' Instead Of 'I Am'? / Writing Game:- Continue The Story; 5 Sentences / Rearrange These Jumbled Words To Make Meaningful Sentences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Must You Use "Being" Instead Of Been In Sentences? by beeboy09(m): 1:31pm On Mar 27, 2013
Oh my! It aches me so much because I see ignorance all around her comment. I saw confidence yet a strong show of ignorance in her use of words. "I have being noticing how bad our Politicians are" the use of that word wrongly could give a heartache. Its not like I never read anyone use it wrongly but this one caught me off guard.
Its a common trend amongst Nigerian youths in the South-West. Just incase anyone is curious I would like to be an English teacher for a moment. The word "be" should not be used as a past continuos tense. What I mean to say is that u cannot say "I have being at home", Instead u shld say "I have been at home". This problem is as a result of the poor education standards in Nigeria. We need help
Re: Why Must You Use "Being" Instead Of Been In Sentences? by Emusan(m): 2:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
Even your explanation is not concrete enough. "Being" suppose to be used with auxillary verbs am, was, were, is, are i.e He is being attended to, they are being deceived e.t.c. And "Been" in the other hand is used with auxillary verbs has, have, had (they take the past participles of verbs) i.e they have been told, we had been talking about it when he came e.t.c

"Being" can start a sentence but "Been" can not. E.g Being a lecturer is good.

2 Likes

Re: Why Must You Use "Being" Instead Of Been In Sentences? by luvmijeje(f): 6:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Emusan: Even your explanation is not concrete enough. "Being" suppose to be used with auxillary verbs am, was, were, is, are i.e He is being attended to, they are being deceived e.t.c. And "Been" in the other hand is used with auxillary verbs has, have, had (they take the past participles of verbs) i.e they have been told, we had been talking about it when he came e.t.c

"Being" can start a sentence but "Been" can not. E.g Being a lecturer is good.
Thanks.Op can u see yourself,teacher don't teach me nonsense.Emusan thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Why Must You Use "Being" Instead Of Been In Sentences? by Emusan(m): 6:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
luvmijeje:
Thanks.Op can u see yourself,teacher don't teach me nonsense.Emusan thanks again.

You're welcome your excellency.

(1) (Reply)

Portrait Painting Art In Nigeria That Will Blow Your Mind. / Like Mother, Like Daughters (18+) / The Hills Of Emure: My Nysc Camp Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.