Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (154159 Views)

Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / Alaafin Of Oyo Awards Aregbesola Title Of Omoluabi Of Yorubaland (PHOTOS) / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by ebankole: 4:43pm On Jun 21, 2013
cool cheesy
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by TYTAN(m): 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2013
I get to understand that the ANAGO word actually means i no go. The word was developed during the slave trade and it was passived by the indigenes that people captured by the Frech slave traders are treated better than the English slave traders, so in protest, the slaves will be shouting I NO GO when being sold to English slave Traders, which was pronounced ANOGO. Thanks, a bit of Lagos history from late grandmother.

3 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 21, 2013
bcomputer101: [s]he Yorubas originated from people known as the Oyo who arose and became quite popular by their trading with the Portuguese, which gave them a large supply of guns.[/s]

[size=15pt]
Flat lie! Read your history books! Yoruba didn't originate from Oyo, Oyo came very much later.[/size]

[s]However, they were unable to push back the Fulani who invaded them and pushed much of the Yoruba to the south.
[/s]

[size=15pt]Another flat lie. Only Ilorin was lost to the Fulani and you cannot claim the invasion of Fulani was the sole reason Old Oyo collapsed, study your history again.[/size]

[s]In the late 1800′s the Yoruba formed a treaty with the Fulani and in 1901 they were colonized by the British[/s]. [size=15pt]Another rubbish![/size] [s]Because of their enmity with the Fulani who are the great Islam evangelists most of the Yoruba do not hold to Islam but instead worship many of the gods and spirits that the Yoruba hold to.[/s] [size=15pt][/size]

Economically the Yoruba primarily engage in agriculture, with about 15% of the people employed as merchants or artists and craftsman.

One of the features that make the Yoruba unique is their tendency to form into large city groups instead of small village groups. The Yorubas are today one of the three main ethnic groups that make up Nigeria. They can also be found in neighbouring countries.

Yoruba people are a large ethno-linguistic group or ethnic nation in Africa, and the majority of them speak the Yoruba language. The Yoruba constitute approximately 21 percent of Nigeria’s total population, and around 40 million individuals throughout the region of West Africa. While the majority of the Yoruba live in western Nigeria, there are also substantial indigenous Yoruba communities in Benin, Ghana, Togo and the Caribbean.

A significant percentage of Africans enslaved during the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade in the Americas managed to maintain the Yoruba spiritual religion known as Aborisha.

Indeed, the initiation and practice of Aborisha spiritual religion offers a route to all people of African descent, who were victims of slave trade in the Americas or the Caribbean, to make claim to Yoruba heritage.

The Yorubas are the main ethnic group in the states of Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, and Oyo, which are subdivisions of Nigeria; they also constitute a sizable proportion of Kwara and Kogi States as well as Edo State.

Major towns and cities

Traditionally, the Yorubas organized themselves into networks of related villages, towns and kingdoms; with most of them headed by an Oba (King) or Baale (a nobleman or mayor). The main Yoruba cities and towns are Ile-Ife, Ibadan, Lagos, Ijebu Ode, Abeokuta, Akure, Ilorin, Ijebu-Igbo, Ogbomosho, Ondo, Badagri, Ado-Ekiti, Osogbo, Ilesa, Oyo, Owo, Kabba, Offa, Ilesa, Ilobu, Ede etc. There are other Yoruba cities and towns such as Ketu, Sabe, Dassa and others in Republic of Benin.

There are other towns and cities with historical affiliation with the Yoruba people because they share one or more similarities together. Some of these cities and towns are Benin city, Warri, Auchi, Okene etc.

[size=15pt]Source please?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by spacebus: 4:47pm On Jun 21, 2013
why does that first drawing look like nice??"gongo aso"
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by bokohalal(m): 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2013
Codedrock: Wao! I love my land.. Yorubas we are too creative! Hope you igbos&hausas here are seeing those art works those buildings.. Up YORUBA.. we lead while others follow!
You want to spoil a nice thread.

4 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by funnyx(m): 4:49pm On Jun 21, 2013
cogitoErgo: my heart skipped a bit on reading d jihad part! Yorubaland was nearly overrun by those jihadists, had it been that Nupeland was strong like the Tiv people, the game would have been different.

Internal strife was the major undoing of the Yoruba kingdom then, it wasn't as if Fulani could have overun Yorubaland so easily but because of the division it was easy to conquer village by village. The table turned when the great warriors of ibadan intervened and sent fulani back.

1 Like

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by bokohalal(m): 4:49pm On Jun 21, 2013
TYTAN: I get to understand that the ANAGO word actually means i no go. The word was developed during the slave trade and it was passived by the indigenes that people captured by the Frech slave traders are treated better than the English slave traders, so in protest, the slaves will be shouting I NO GO when being sold to English slave Traders, which was pronounced ANOGO. Thanks, a bit of Lagos history from late grandmother.

I NO FIT LAFF!
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by anonimi: 4:55pm On Jun 21, 2013
funnyx:

Internal strife was the major undoing of the Yoruba kingdom then, it wasn't as if Fulani could have overun Yorubaland so easily but because of the division it was easy to conquer village by village. The table turned when the great warriors of ibadan intervened and sent fulani back.

That may not be entirely true.
War is bad no doubt but it also allows for a lot of inventions that are converted to regular, daily peaceful use after the war.
I imagine the internal strife of yoruba city-states led to people being forced into alliances and building city walls, organising armies, greater metal works, organising markets and securing them etc.
Do you know how much "internal strife" there was among European nations up until as recent as 1945, the end of WW2
Would you say Europe is undone?

We should stop thinking in simplex mode and try to look at things from a very comprehensive perspective.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by johnie: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
[size=14pt]I have a strong feeling these people and clothes are of Nupe origin and not Yoruba.

What do you think?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by gerald09(m): 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2013
Dis is interesting, how/where do I go to get information bout the medieval times of the 3 big tribes in Nigeria, I'll love to start a project on an epic movie of Nigeria. Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ have the technology to met up with the effect necessary n great team of film makers. Visit www.fxmaximus.com(not yet on mobile internet) for more information. Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ need a great story check the web site for our email. Just send me a synopsis. If its a great story Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ will work together to make the movie.

1 Like

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by bright007(f): 5:08pm On Jun 21, 2013
the history of yoruba is incomplete without the story of oduduwa climbing down from d skies on a chain.storms outta thread angrily.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by funnyx(m): 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2013
anonimi:

That may not be entirely true.
War is bad no doubt but it also allows for a lot of inventions that are converted to regular, daily peaceful use after the war.
I imagine the internal strife of yoruba city-states led to people being forced into alliances and building city walls, organising armies, greater metal works, organising markets and securing them etc.
Do you know how much "internal strife" there was among European nations up until as recent as 1945, the end of WW2
Would you say Europe is undone?

We should stop thinking in simplex mode and try to look at things from a very comprehensive perspective.

That's why I stated that its the major undoing of course there were other contributory factors.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by pat4love: 5:18pm On Jun 21, 2013
We realy need to do more in other to bring out those culture back because we lack the issue of love

2 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by maclatunji: 5:25pm On Jun 21, 2013
cogitoErgo: my heart skipped a bit on reading d jihad part! Yorubaland was nearly overrun by those jihadists, had it been that Nupeland was strong like the Tiv people, the game would have been different.

The opening post has a load of falsehood. Islam remains an integral part of modern Yoruba history. That is how people like moi exist.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 21, 2013
pat4love: We realy need to do more in other to bring out those culture back because we lack the issue of love

[size=15pt]What are you saying and what is the relevance of that to the topic?[/size]
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

The opening post has a load of falsehood. Islam remains an integral part of modern Yoruba history. That is how people like moi exist.

Sir, what do you mean by the bolded'?

What is 'modern Yoruba history?

[size=15pt]Islam made its way into Yoruba land, thanks to the contact Mr. Afonja made with the Fulanis and the invasion of the Yoruba land/Jihad[/size]

3 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by DuduNegro: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2013
maxani: Very beautiful, Dudu_negro..I am a film maker. I am making a documentary film on Nigeria at the moment. I'll like to work with you on a separate one about the Yoruba kingdom. Let me know if you are interested.
@bcomputer101 are you a writer? I'll. need you.interested?

Ill be in touh with you this weekend sometime. Count me in.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by sportfeva(m): 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Lovely thread

I be proud omo Yoruba......swagga!!!

Odua a gbe a o

@this pant......so the idea/design originated in Yorubaland?
Yes, it is called Kembe.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by DuduNegro: 5:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Lovely thread

I be proud omo Yoruba......swagga!!!

Odua a gbe a o

@this pant......so the idea/design originated in Yorubaland?

I winder where MC Hammer got his from? cheesy
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by anonimi: 5:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
9jacrip:

Sir, what do you mean by the bolded'?

What is 'modern Yoruba history?

[size=15pt]Islam made its way into Yoruba land, thanks to the contact Mr. Afonja made with the Fulanis and the invasion of the Yoruba land/Jihad[/size]

Not quite correct.
Islam made its way into yoruba land through commerce. It was the same way christianity came into Nigeria. First by commerce. Later war, annexation and colonisation.
The commerce with the fulanis included slave trade that ended up in Arab land.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by DuduNegro: 5:40pm On Jun 21, 2013
johnie: [size=14pt]I have a strong feeling these people and clothes are of Nupe origin and not Yoruba.

These dressings are worn by Yoruba, Nupe and Borgu (Yauri).

2 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 21, 2013
anonimi:

Not quite correct.
Islam made its way into yoruba land through commerce. It was the same way christianity came into Nigeria. First by commerce. Later war, annexation and colonisation.
The commerce with the fulanis included slave trade that ended up in Arab land.

I'm talking about islam becoming prevalent as a widely accepted religion. Yoruba had contact with muslims but they did not become converts, there was even a mosque at old oyo but used by itinerant muslims (visitors or traders) and yorubas didnt islamize till the jihad.

In a nutshell, your point only states exposure of yorubas to muslims/islam not their being proselytized.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by sweetcheecks(f): 5:54pm On Jun 21, 2013
Absolutely beautiful. I love the Yorubas and expect to have Yoruba kids. The information will help understand their history.
Thank you.
Proudly Xhosa/ Yoruba! kiss kiss kiss

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by OlumegbonMutair: 5:59pm On Jun 21, 2013
I totally support you my brother,those people and clothes are not yorubas.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by nijanigga: 6:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
Youruba people originated from Saudi-Arabia and migrated to Nigeria through Egypt. In the past they broadcast news in yoruba from Egypt. We also have yorubas in Brazil. Alots of them found thier way back to Lagos after slave trade.That's why You hear names like; aganga pinhnero from Lagos.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by nijanigga: 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2013
johnie: [size=14pt]I have a strong feeling these people and clothes are of Nupe origin and not Yoruba
How can this be yoruba clothes?
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Bsmartt(m): 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2013
astonished by his great work.it really showcase the African heritage unlike what we the youths of nowadays copying the full western culture. Great job

1 Like

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Orikinla(m): 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
This is a poor knowledge of Yoruba history.
You cannot know the truth about Yorubas without consulting Ifa.
Because there was Ifa even before Oduduwa.

3 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 21, 2013
nijanigga: Youruba people originated from Saudi-Arabia and migrated to Nigeria through Egypt. In the past they broadcast news in yoruba from Egypt. We also have yorubas in Brazil. Alots of them found thier way back to Lagos after slave trade.That's why You hear names like; aganga pinhnero from Lagos.

You dey madt?
This is not another Ibo-Jews story teller?
Arab ko Chinese ni

6 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2013
nijanigga:
How can this be yoruba clothes?

Same way Yorubas/Hausa/some Muslims dress alike

2 Likes

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by ebankole: 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2013
Talking about copying western culture i don't think so especially on this dispensation we are shaking off it unlike 10yrs back.Nigerians are now defining there own outfit now.Even musically etc-the problem now is these western characteristic attitudes-no more respect for yha elders.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2013
anonimi:

You miss my point entirely.
There is no doubt about our INDIVIDUAL intelligence and creativity as black people but how do we translate it into societal advancement?
Is it due to our primitive selfishness

BTW, the poundo-yam machine was designed and developed by a Nigerian for sure but could not be mass produced and marketed from Nigeria hence it being hijacked by those who understand and have the means devoted to creating value for sale.
Samsung and LG are arguably the leading TV brands today. They are both South Korean companies. South Korea had nothing to do with the development of TV technology.

Egun to ko jo, afaimo ko ma je pe iran ni o ma wo gbehin - the masquerade that danced first may end up being a spectator.

its because of your petty slave mentality following islam/christianity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife / Post Pics Of Fulani Girls! / 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.