Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1490770 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:10pm On Apr 01, 2013
@op from yr reply sir,i acknowledge yr idea of goin to benin republic to learn,by grace i also was in ghana for more insight 7 Years back,from yr explainatn my bro,part of what made u to suffer loss then apart from what u didnt know then could also be because d fingerlings u bought initially was much for a starter,every fish farmer should join CAFAN.u can gain something from such network,such info help save others from going in anyhow,nice work bro.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:47pm On Apr 01, 2013
excelsiorfarm: @op from yr reply sir,i acknowledge yr idea of goin to benin republic to learn,by grace i also was in ghana for more insight 7 Years back,from yr explainatn my bro,part of what made u to suffer loss then apart from what u didnt know then could also be because d fingerlings u bought initially was much for a starter,every fish farmer should join CAFAN.u can gain something from such network,such info help save others from going in anyhow,nice work bro.

Yeah I guess for a starter I over stocked and nobody was giving me advice on the business.. Even my so called friend that's into it also duped me.. Buh now am far bigger than him.. By the grace of God..

Yeah i also belong to an association "Divine cooperative association".. Have heard about CAFAN and will like to join too..
Where is ur farm located and what do u do..

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
op am in ibadan,i hav my businesses in ibadan & ogbomoso,am into fingerlings & growout.(fisheries),pigs & goats & crops,d ibadan own we soon dv be Nigerian'S songhai & foremost farm dv(working on it),i still have poultry cages to sell & pond to rent in igando lagos. continue yr work

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:53pm On Apr 02, 2013
excelsiorfarm: op am in ibadan,i hav my businesses in ibadan & ogbomoso,am into fingerlings & growout.(fisheries),pigs & goats & crops,d ibadan own we soon dv be Nigerian'S songhai & foremost farm dv(working on it),i still have poultry cages to sell & pond to rent in igando lagos. continue yr work

Nice work man.. Keep it up..

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nell07(m): 4:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
Great work op!
I must say, for someone who has only been a member for just about a week, you have worked a miracle in many people's life.....
There are many people who're planning to go into fish farming with their little savings.. This is a big eyeopener for them
Yours truly happens to be one of tHem grin
Will be through with nysc soon and wondering if you can give me any pointers as a total stranger to fishery and one with limited capital at that.. What do you advise pls..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
nell07: Great work op!
I must say, for someone who has only been a member for just about a week, you have worked a miracle in many people's life.....
There are many people who're planning to go into fish farming with their little savings.. This is a big eyeopener for them
Yours truly happens to be one of tHem grin
Will be through with nysc soon and wondering if you can give me any pointers as a total stranger to fishery and one with limited capital at that.. What do you advise pls..

Thanks for your encouraging words.. One thing u must have before u venture into the business is PASSION.. Do u have a passion for it or even animals..

Don't worry when u are through with ur service then I will guide u with the capital u have on ground so as to utilize it judiciously.. Thanks

10 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nuruoniwo(m): 2:56am On Apr 03, 2013
Op kindly tell us how to go about the songhai training I am greatly interested,I once built concrete pond for my client cos I am a self employed construction engr but I am now serious about fish farming I will start my pond construction 2x5m next week wishing to stock 500 fingerlings then construct another pond a month later for sorting shooters though will not stock anything till I attend the songhai training pls help with the info u can email nadejimoh@yahoo.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:33am On Apr 03, 2013
nuruoniwo: Op kindly tell us how to go about the songhai training I am greatly interested,I once built concrete pond for my client cos I am a self employed construction engr but I am now serious about fish farming I will start my pond construction 2x5m next week wishing to stock 500 fingerlings then construct another pond a month later for sorting shooters though will not stock anything till I attend the songhai training pls help with the info u can email nadejimoh@yahoo.com

I have sent u a mail..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by williams20(m): 10:22am On Apr 03, 2013
Good morning great Farmers. Pls we have 2 concrete ponds about 3000litres each. And we have stocked a thousand fish into both. We feed twice daily with coppens and change water completely every 3-4days. Bt the fishes do hang up sometimes and they have big bellies. Recorded 3 casualties so far. Pls we need more insight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 10:48am On Apr 03, 2013
williams20: Good morning great Farmers. Pls we have 2 concrete ponds about 3000litres each. And we have stocked a thousand fish into both. We feed twice daily with coppens and change water completely every 3-4days. Bt the fishes do hang up sometimes and they have big bellies. Recorded 3 casualties so far. Pls we need more insight.

Obviously, the fish are sick.

You will need to try and get Potassium permanganate(PG) from any Pharmaceutical Stores around your area, after which you are to get salt from any Feed mill (the quantity of salt to get depends on how big your pond is)

Now on to the process, drain the water completely from the pond after which you pump little water on the fish in such a way that it will cover them all.

Get a bucket and mix both the salt and PG together.

Pour the mixture(SALT and PG) into the pond and leave them for about 30 to 40 minutes.

You can then pump fresh water on them. PLEASE, do not feed them for two days to allow them to excrete all the bacteria in their body away. On the third day, change the water and pump fresh water on them, and feed them.

The above is the treatment that I used for treating fish in my concrete pond

23 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:07am On Apr 03, 2013
williams20: Good morning great Farmers. Pls we have 2 concrete ponds about 3000litres each. And we have stocked a thousand fish into both. We feed twice daily with coppens and change water completely every 3-4days. Bt the fishes do hang up sometimes and they have big bellies. Recorded 3 casualties so far. Pls we need more insight.

Please kindly follow the medications as written by abix.. And let's know if there is improvement..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by juliebrown: 11:19am On Apr 03, 2013
@robonski15 U hav really enlighten and educate many of us dat has vission of going into the bussiness,God bless u. Pls I will like to know proceedure for D songhai traning, cost n the duration It took you, or can some1 enroll as a trainee in ur farm cos I really wnt to undergo practical training before going into thE businessa. Tnx my email is heavenroll@yahoo.com

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
juliebrown: @robonski15 U hav really enlighten and educate many of us dat has vission of going into the bussiness,God bless u. Pls I will like to know proceedure for D songhai traning, cost n the duration It took you, or can some1 enroll as a trainee in ur farm cos I really wnt to undergo practical training before going into thE businessa. Tnx my email is heavenroll@yahoo.com

Thank u sir, I have sent u a mail..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:20pm On Apr 03, 2013
@williams20,first u did not mention how old are yr fishes,from it i easily say if d three death should be ignored,concerning d hanging,it is due to pollutn & stress(they need oxygen),feeding they twice isnt d issue,u might be overfeeding them,i wont give u medicatn,but work on yr feeding & h2o mgt,soln change water & dont feed for 1or2 days,if changes,then they are overeating(waste).since is coppens & not most useless feed formular(then there is balance diet),also try to reduce stress.if they hav already c
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
@williams20,if they have cease to eat,treat wit antibiotic(tetracyline).@op i need d details of services of songhai farm & costing,instead of people going there,i intend to service d nation's aspiring farmers,pensioners etc,dont worry,with God i can meet any service they offer.u can paste it here or check my signature
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by williams20(m): 3:34pm On Apr 03, 2013
I do appreciate all ur kind responses. The fishes were stocked abt 3weeks ago. Post fingerlings. Pls what about ths fishbiotics that is being sold.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2013
williams20: I do appreciate all ur kind responses. The fishes were stocked abt 3weeks ago. Post fingerlings. Pls what about ths fishbiotics that is being sold.
d fishbiotics should work,i said tetracycline if they have cease to eat(u know that is an extreme case),did u hatch yrself?if not visit yr source to verify & discuss d challenge,that will help to understand if it is genetic,but work on feeding & water mgt,i blieve thats d challenge,note never mix drugs,potassium permanganate fig

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:27pm On Apr 03, 2013
@williams20,potassium permanganate fights bacteria on gills & body surfaces,reduces stress.next time u buy fingerlings or juveniles disinfect yr tanks with iodine soln,for d present ones do u hav read,swollen or bloated stomach is just gas that can be as a result of constipatn or fungus activities,if is goat,i will tell u it because u fed them wet forages or grasses.ALL THE BEST

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:31pm On Apr 03, 2013
williams20: I do appreciate all ur kind responses. The fishes were stocked abt 3weeks ago. Post fingerlings. Pls what about ths fishbiotics that is being sold.

Yeah I think u should work on your water management and try reducing their feed drastically for two days.. If things don't improve then (tertracyclin,chloraphenical and salt should be administered).. But we need to know the size of ur pond so as to know the quantity to administer..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:51pm On Apr 03, 2013
excelsiorfarm: @williams20,if they have cease to eat,treat wit antibiotic(tetracyline).@op i need d details of services of songhai farm & costing,instead of people going there,i instead to service d nation's aspiring farmers,pensioners etc,dont worry,with God i can meet any service they offer.u can paste it here or check my signature

I think its a good idea.. I hope u are willing to teach from A-Z.. I will soon be to coming to Ibadan then I can come to ur farm so I can see what's on ground... I trust u are an experienced farmer.. I have glanced through some of ur comments concerning fish farming and I think u are reasonable.. I will get back to u as soon possible.. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by temi4fash(m): 5:23pm On Apr 03, 2013
robonski15:

Thanks for your encouraging words.. One thing u must have before u venture into the business is PASSION.. Do u have a passion for it or even animals..

Don't worry when u are through with ur service then I will guide u with the capital u have on ground so as to utilize it judiciously.. Thanks

Sir me too would love to learn m in final year in skool ,but how much would one need to start it... thanks in advance..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nell07(m): 5:32pm On Apr 03, 2013
robonski15:

Here's my email : macdestiny@yahoo.com
Please email me your farm address and phone number... I don't even mind working for you for a while, so as to gather needed experience.
I'm greatly motivated by your dedication to your business.
Yes I like animals... But I know almost nothing about fish
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by temi4fash(m): 6:53pm On Apr 03, 2013
nell07:

Here's my email : macdestiny@yahoo.com
Please email me your farm address and phone number... I don't even mind working for you for a while, so as to gather needed experience.
I'm greatly motivated by your dedication to your business.
Yes I like animals... But I know almost nothing about fish

how come u always faster dan me....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:59pm On Apr 03, 2013
temi4fash:

Sir me too would love to learn m in final year in skool ,but how much would one need to start it... thanks in advance..

I like youe willingness to learn.. U can give me your email adress..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nell07(m): 7:05pm On Apr 03, 2013
temi4fash:

how come u always faster dan me....
Lmao!
Maybe that's Cos I'm in a tighter spot than you.
WWill be through with nysc in June, and i need to get my hands busy asap. Do not believe in walking around for a job. We could still work together tho
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:12pm On Apr 03, 2013
nell07:
Lmao!
WWill be through with nysc in June, and i need to get my hands busy asap. Do not believe in walking around for a job. We could still work together tho

That's a good move, it pays to be self employed.. Our youth are looking for white collar job and thereby roaming the streets.. Once u are through just let me know .. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:17pm On Apr 03, 2013
op no problem,let me know when u are in town,but as of now,i just came into abuja(precisely gwariipa),about reasonable i hav my ponds at our place,behind rosellas park isheri-igando,am looking out for tenants,if u been old in d biz,dynamo farms was a client(they were about d foremost in lagos then),thats not d issue,it was only an opportunity to help,which i do more on my thread on businesses,Expecting my request of d details on their costing.thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by temi4fash(m): 9:22pm On Apr 03, 2013
nell07:
Lmao!

dats great.. m am still in ma final year.. second semester to b precise.. m just trying to think of wat to do wen i graduate cos of all dis job scarcity makes me scared...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nell07(m): 10:41pm On Apr 03, 2013
temi4fash:

dats great.. m am still in ma final year.. second semester to b precise.. m just trying to think of wat to do wen i graduate cos of all dis job scarcity makes me scared...

i feel you bro.
Naija is getting really scary. But its nothing we can't overcome with honest hardwork and God by our side.
we go make am.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ps5(m): 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ps5(m): 2:22pm On Apr 04, 2013
Get more info about fish and other types of farming here
http://anambrayouthfarmers..com/
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Adeymorla(m): 2:01pm On Apr 13, 2013
I'm really enjoying the posts on this thread. Just like to add one or two things to all we hav said. To ensure good harvest, water quality, water temeprature and PH and dissolved oxygen is very important. Also it is advisable to keep your pond water moving all the time through recirculation. Invest money in a pond filter and an aerator, you will be really glad you did.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.