Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,430 members, 7,781,248 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:18 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1482284 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jeffery23: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
emmyvet:

PH meter is to determine the acidity or alkalinity of your water. The water may be too acidic or too basic which may not be good for the fish.

I use bolehole water directly from the pipe to the pond, of which i change the water every three three days
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by emmyvet(m): 10:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
jeffery23:

I use bolehole water directly from the pipe to the pond, of which i change the water every three three days

It may be acidic though am not certain but a PH meter will tell better.

The experts in the house should answer better.
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Abiola1016: 12:34am On Dec 30, 2016
Do you still have some heterobranchus for brrodstock? Where are you located?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Abiola1016: 12:35am On Dec 30, 2016
chilanfarms:
u can contact me on 07065874135/ 08076515345 for ur brood stock purchase, available are Clarias garipenus, Dutch Clarias n Heterobranchus species...
Do you have heterobranchus for brood stock
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sirfarouk(m): 9:57am On Dec 30, 2016
Ttalk:
If you are in Abuja or its environs and you need to pelletise your feed, dont look furthet visit us at Goldgate Farm for your pelletising of the following mm
1. 0.8mm
2. 1.5mm
3. 2mm
4. 3mm
5. 4mm
6. 6mm
7. 8mm
Call 08056003532 or 08032829850 for QUALITY PELLETING AND PELLETISED FEED

Pics of our 5month fish fed our prepared pelletsed feed beginning from 3weeks after stocking

Good morning. Where in Abuja is your farm located?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ABHAKS: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2016
Good afternoon all Please Anybody with idea of how to administer acquaceryl to juvenile? Which one is better to administer with feed or to the pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2016
akty001:
Compliments all! Please, I need help!
I have a small tarpaulin pond of about 140 fishes that are about 8 weeks old. The problem is that they are looking pale and pinkish! You can even see their veins at a close look!
I change the water every other day to avoid contamination from feed residues but there has been no changes. Could it be the cold weather?
What can I do? What could possibly be wrong?

The change in colour is an adaptation to the tarpauling colour. There is no cause for alarm. However, you have to observe their movement and feeding rate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 6:14pm On Dec 30, 2016
sirfarouk:

Good morning. Where in Abuja is your farm located?
Our farm is in Madalla after Zuba

email: goldgate2003@yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2016
jeffery23:

Your water could be acidic as a result not allowing cabondioxide to evaporate since you pump directly from borehole. Aeration or allowing the water settle in reservior will improve your pH. You can also do flow through at night.

This could have triggered disease outbreak. Salt and tetracycling are very effective in such situation

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jeffery23: 1:16am On Dec 31, 2016
Ttalk:

Your water could be acidic as a result not allowing cabondioxide to evaporate since you pump directly from borehole. Aeration or allowing the water settle in reservior will improve your pH. You can also do flow through at night.

This could have triggered disease outbreak. Salt and tetracycling are very effective in such situation

please how can I apply the salt and tetracycling in d pond, to know the water level and will they eat after I apply it also like thier normal thrice feeding daily
Godbless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 2:38am On Dec 31, 2016
solafandy:
I really dont think you have overstocked if you manage your water very well, like if you change every other day and make sure you use more of floating feed. If you are not satisfied with this method, i think your best bet is to sort out another 1000 into another pond and give the fishes more space. Also you could just sell off the slow growing ones and concentrate on the fast growing fishes. I do that sometimes after 3 months and i still have fishes under 500grams.

THANKS!
we are expanding, constructing new pond this week to allow sorting and space. we will get the PH testing kit and ensure our PH level is acceptable. I planned to wait until 8 mos and see how this efforts played out before selling. This is our first on fishes and our target is 1 kg or more
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:55pm On Dec 31, 2016
frshwvfarms:

THANKS!
we are expanding, constructing new pond this week to allow sorting and space. we will get the PH testing kit and ensure our PH level is acceptable. I planned to wait until 8 mos and see how this efforts played out before selling. This is our first on fishes and our target is 1 kg or more

Good Job.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:36pm On Jan 01, 2017
Happy new year everyone.. 2017 will be a year of good productivity for us all.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 5:01pm On Jan 01, 2017
robonski15:

Good Job.

Thanks Robonski..
I have read many of your inspiring postings.
Stay blessed and Happier this year.
Happy New Year to all Farmers and their family..your work is very important in addressing food importation, and possibly the need to diversify and export food from Nigeria and Africa as it should be...
I pray this year bring better harvest even as we heed the call to address hunger within our great country..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 5:06pm On Jan 02, 2017
Ttalk:

If your pond is concrete pond, overstocking shouldnt have been the cause of slow growth.
In fact early sign of overstocking is the depletion of oxygen which result in mortality overnight.

Consider these factors as major cause of slow growth in concrete pond
Low temperature
Covering of pond
Low protein feed as starter
Specie of your stock
Poor water management
Irregular feeding pattern

If your pond carrying capacity is 1000 then your fish should already average 500g before the growth rate reduces and speading of fish to other pond would be the best option
TTalk, Thank you and Happy New yr.
The pond is earthen, not covered and dug on a wetland lot springing out natural drinkable fresh water.
Temp is average and the feed is Vital feed from Juvenile.
I am considering switching to some of the advertised feeding posted on this threads. i see some of them carries extra protein to aid with fast growth at an early stage.
Have any farmer patronized and used any of the feed? how well was it with the stocks? I'd appreciate encouragement..
I am also interested in stocking some species Blue catfish or Channel Catfish, largely farmed in North America. Is anyone stocking these species?
Thanks in advance
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:27pm On Jan 02, 2017
frshwvfarms:

Thanks Robonski..
I have read many of your inspiring postings.
Stay blessed and Happier this year.
Happy New Year to all Farmers and their family..your work is very important in addressing food importation, and possibly the need to diversify and export food from Nigeria and Africa as it should be...
I pray this year bring better harvest even as we heed the call to address hunger within our great country..

Thank you very much sir, i really appreciate.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2017
Does anyone know about Aller Aqua feed, made globally both in the EU and Mid-East?. ..How good are they for feeding, raising catfish?.Has anyone used them to produce any good harvest..thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2017
frshwvfarms:

TTalk, Thank you and Happy New yr.
The pond is earthen, not covered and dug on a wetland lot springing out natural drinkable fresh water.
Temp is average and the feed is Vital feed from Juvenile.
I am considering switching to some of the advertised feeding posted on this threads. i see some of them carries extra protein to aid with fast growth at an early stage.
Have any farmer patronized and used any of the feed? how well was it with the stocks? I'd appreciate encouragement..
I am also interested in stocking some species Blue catfish or Channel Catfish, largely farmed in North America. Is anyone stocking these species?
Thanks in advance

You seems to assume the deficiency was caused by the starter feed you use. However, switching to high protein feed at 5month to boost fish growth is not economical. Though some species are late growers bt the improvement should have been notced in 4months
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by globalfanz(m): 6:02am On Jan 03, 2017
robonski15 welcome. Happy to see you again. I stopped visiting this thread when I noticed you are no longer featuring. The info you started this thread with is all in one. Children's presence is not formidable without grand pa. So keep it up.

Happy new beginning all

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ChijiokeBen: 9:18am On Jan 03, 2017
please I need help from farmers that purchase lands for there catfish in lagos state and Ogun state without any problem of Omonile.
how or process in buying industrial land for farm or other organization legally without fraudulent individual or unrecognized agents ?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 2:35pm On Jan 03, 2017
osashilton:
Fishes growing fast, all going well so far

How many months are these?

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:35pm On Jan 03, 2017
globalfanz:
robonski15 welcome. Happy to see you again. I stopped visiting this thread when I noticed you are no longer featuring. The info you started this thread with is all in one. Children's presence is not formidable without grand pa. So keep it up.

Happy new beginning all
My chairman I was working on a project hence my low featuring on the thread.. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 4:48pm On Jan 03, 2017
Ttalk:

You seems to assume the deficiency was caused by the starter feed you use. However, switching to high protein feed at 5month to boost fish growth is not economical. Though some species are late growers bt the improvement should have been notced in 4months

You are right TTalk. Thanks.
That was our first stocks. I recently learned my manager switched the food without notifying me to some unknown brand to save cost sad . Can you imagine? However, I read that our stock ( Clarias gariepinus)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarias_gariepinus - can be larger, longer and weigh more than our usual desirable 1kg. I believe it is possible to reach that extra .25 within 4 to 6 wks if well fed in a well managed freer pond . Of course- the cost is = more feeding per growth ratio in good health. I wanted to be a little patience with sustained feeding to reach my desired size after giving reasonable space and correcting the feeding formula. Selling at an average .75 kg may be ok. But I am believing the cost of that feeding will be recouped after feeding for another 6 wks and reaching our desired size...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by udeme4real: 12:01am On Jan 04, 2017
pls what is the current prices of fish now
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 12:06am On Jan 04, 2017
frshwvfarms:

You are right TTalk. Thanks.
That was our first stocks. I recently learned my manager switched the food without notifying me to some unknown brand to save cost sad . Can you imagine? However, I read that our stock ( Clarias gariepinus)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarias_gariepinus - can be larger, longer and weigh more than our usual desirable 1kg. I believe it is possible to reach that extra .25 within 4 to 6 wks if well fed in a well managed freer pond . Of course- the cost is = more feeding per growth ratio in good health. I wanted to be a little patience with sustained feeding to reach my desired size after giving reasonable space and correcting the feeding formula. Selling at an average .75 kg may be ok. But I am believing the cost of that feeding will be recouped after feeding for another 6 wks and reaching our desired size...

Sir. again i noticed that you have been managing your farm through phone and you allow your manager to take such vital decision without your consent.
Your fish could add between 200g and 300g in 4 week provided their growth in previous month is similar to what you intend to achieve in the next month.
Six week is a very long period in fish farming but it worth it if it wii yield corresponding result. What feed do you intend to use?

Wish you best of luck
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by osashilton: 12:19am On Jan 04, 2017
2 months
bababuff:

How many months are these?

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 3:25am On Jan 04, 2017
Ttalk:

Sir. again i noticed that you have been managing your farm through phone and you allow your manager to take such vital decision without your consent.
Your fish could add between 200g and 300g in 4 week provided their growth in previous month is similar to what you intend to achieve in the next month.
Six week is a very long period in fish farming but it worth it if it wii yield corresponding result. What feed do you intend to use?

Wish you best of luck

Thanks.
I am changing back to Vital feed. do you suggest any better brand?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 8:41am On Jan 04, 2017
Pls guru, I sorted my fishes into two ponds and I notice that those in the smaller pond are doing fine compare to the other.pls how can I increase the quality of my pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Freeopod(m): 12:26pm On Jan 04, 2017
Hello house
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sirfarouk(m): 3:06pm On Jan 04, 2017
matrixme:
Good morning all. Are you interesting in starting a fish farm in Abuja (i.e you have a suitable facility)? Do you have an existing fish farm in the city and you want to establish your hatchery or is the high feed cost giving you a challenge and you're interested in local feed formulation?
let's get talking. Thanks

How much do you sell your local feed per kg?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2017
funso111:
Pls guru, I sorted my fishes into two ponds and I notice that those in the smaller pond are doing fine compare to the other.pls how can I increase the quality of my pond.

You might have over stocked the bigger pond, what is the size of the ponds and how many did you stock in each?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2017
frshwvfarms:

Thanks.
I am changing back to Vital feed. do you suggest any better brand?
Vital is good. Since you are spreading to other ponds I suggest u dedicate one pond to local feed. The experience you will get will help you in subsequent production. Knowledge in local feed management is necessary for expansion

Consider the cost of floating feed like vital that cost 6800 per 15kg, if your FCR is 1:1 then you will required 453naira to attain 1kg apart from other sundry expenses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.