Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,993 members, 7,806,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (487) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1490517 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (484) (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Blessedbaebee: 9:03pm On Apr 15, 2020
Good evening all. Please, I seek answers to few questions. How do I calculate the quantity of water that a pond will contain?

How can I calculate/estimate the number of fish a pond can contain to table size?

Thanks in advance for your responses
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 10:27pm On Apr 15, 2020
amba2017:
12 pieces of fish tanks for sale in Ph at 4k /tank. 0806 339 3168

If you have same tank for sale in Akute at a reasonable price, please mention me.

Rgds.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 8:52pm On Apr 16, 2020
Blessedbaebee:
Good evening all. Please, I seek answers to few questions. How do I calculate the quantity of water that a pond will contain?

How can I calculate/estimate the number of fish a pond can contain to table size?

Thanks in advance for your responses
it depend on the size of pond that you have. You can post the size of your pond here.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by rozario01: 12:28pm On Apr 17, 2020
FINGERLINGS FOR SALE IN LAGOS 08069178507
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rizzyreal: 11:12pm On Apr 18, 2020
Do you stay in PH? If yes, please where is your farm, I will like to visit any time soon if you don't mind

fisher777:

Learn to culture live food - Daphnia - for use in your hatchery.

It's an excellent food for them. I have tested it's efficacy in a 1000litre tank known as IBC. After fellows said I couldn't hatch eggs in such tank filled with water unless the tank is cut in half as some Folks are using. Well, for me I like research. I simply waited for the usual two days after hatching...not sure if the larvae survived cos I couldn't see down the tank as the water wasn't very clear then as I actually used water that has been there for nearly a week plus I added CaCO3 and didn't wait for it to settle, mind you the tank was plain outside in the worst conditions and the tank didn't get any inflow till the 20th hr after fertilization, as opposed to a regular clarias hatchery. I did put it on flow-thru though from the 20th hr onwards and only stopped inflow when I fed them daphnia. Now feeding was to commence from day 3..I pushed Arte something aside mind you I had collected some Daphnia and cultured for four days they multiplied as expected and as I planned, I simply connected a transparent tube (it was a drip set with the flow regulator..very ingenious. lols) to the daphnia container and let the thing run down into the very bottom of the tank full of water for good 4days all the while stopping the flow, resume flow thru, feed the daphnia and allow them multiply a little more then open the regulator again...(you can call it Daphnia population control). I wasn't seeing any larvae yet after 3days from commencing exogenous feeding yet I kept pumping in daphnia. By the 4th day I was running out of Daphnia and at about 8 pm I had a feeling and went to the tank with my phone flashlight and behold! Swarms of black fries wriggling and clustered together on all four corners of the tank tho shy cos of the light and some went back down. I had a good sleep and By morning I confidently removed the covering I placed to shed off sunlight and a few hrs later they were up and everywhere looking for more Daphnia but there wasn't more...... mission accomplished! end of proposed research! I sent photo of the swarm to one of my farmer friend and course mate.

Now how to culture daphnia.

Firstly, you need to locate a pool of water around you...if you leave in areas without tarred road or maybe the drainage (gutter that holds water for some days after rainfall - not the unsightly ones) if you leave in the city.

Secondly, about one or two days after a moderate rainfall observe the pool or drainage water surface in the evening or very early morning there maybe some reddish little things moving in clusters in the water... especially if the water is a bit muddy looking and undisturbed...(and no chemicals or bad oil is entering the water)... Yeah!!! That's Daphnia and maybe other things I don't know yet.

Third. Collection time!
Gently Scoop them up with their water as much as you can.. if it looks like it finished come back in the evening or next morning and check again.

Fourth. Inoculation and set up.
Quite simple but technical. If you want to maintain big volume cultures you will need aeration. Otherwise dump them into a shallow green water.. about one foot deep..they love the algae..that's what they'd be busy harvesting and other things I don't know too when you see them in the water surface otherwise they'll stay down. (oh you should have prepared some good hatchery quality water and fertilized it to develop algae bloom before going daphnia fishing).
Oh wait! You could also keep them in clear shallow water and maintain flow thru but that will require a bit of construction with a certain net mesh size so you don't loose the smaller guys which you larvae will prefer to start dining on... people don't usually like this idea o.
Oh wait again! You could maintain small cultures in static clear water in about 20litre buckets starting with water at half the bucket and adding some fresh water daily to sustain oxygen and also make room for baby daphnia. You have to keep this from direct sunlight and heat. Then, when the buckets is near full you simply split and resume daily water addition... that's smart right? Before you get carried away remember to inoculate the bucket with just few daphnia to avoid initial overpopulation and also you get to know if they've survived and are multiplying or not...that's the fun part...watching them increase in numbers. The volume you chose to use for inoculation will depend on the quantity you caught when you went daphnia fishing. Lols! We should have put this method first.

Fifth. Care.
Feeding time. After inoculation (static clear water buckets) you might want to allow them adjust to their new environment. Usually this takes about 6hrs or more...for me I just left them for a day to let the muddy water settle so I could see how much was in there and for them to eat off whatever food that came with the water and get quite hungry.
What did I feed them You're itching to know... Yeast. Yes Yeast. Baker's Yeast. It's in the market. That woman that sells baking stuff is waiting for you now. Mind you I used granulated ones...like milkish coloured sand grains inside the tin when you open it. There may be other options to feed daphnia but yeast worked pretty well for me.
How do you feed them Simply dissolve a few grains in warm water(as warm as you can drink without fear of hurting yourself or even less warm... the thing simply melts when the warm water touches it... you need about a teaspoon of water to dissolve the yeast and then add up some hatchery water to bring the solution to cooler temperature so you don't boil the daphnia.
How much quantity to feed You just need enough to slightly cloud up the water.... not too cloudy tho otherwise they die of oxygen shortage...so a few drops at a time and watch the solution diffuse throughout the water and the feeding frenzy begins!- this part will be interesting if you have them in transparent container. Preferably feed little quantities several times a day so you don't risk crashing your daphnia culture due to oxygen shortage....
Alternatively, you may slowly drop the grains on the water surface... they float if careful placed then they absorb water and start sinking forming a cloud trail while sinking... the trail attracts onlookers/onfeeders...
REMEMBER!!! the yeast too are living things... FUNGI as a matter of fact and you may want to wash your hand after handling...I don't know what may happen if you don't wash, ask your microbiologist neighbor. As soon as feeding starts, some of your daphnia will grow bigger, visibly bigger.. they've got eggs, they lay the eggs and you know what happens next. As they multiply keep splitting and feeding and splitting...I liked this part. If you have extra containers you may want to gently transfer older cultures to clean containers and wash of debris... hygiene is necessary here too if you want to maintain them for a long time also you don't want debris and other stuff I don't know in your larvae tank... adding yeast to my containers caused small algal growths on container walls as the containers received some good sunlight before noon.

If you're using green water method then your responsibility is to maintain the algae...but this is not very interesting as you'll hardly know what's going on in there with the daphnia. Besides, i feel you'd still need to add little yeasts as well to supplement feeding... I am not sure daphnias are strictly vegetarians. I feel This method may also require a way of clearing out the algae before feeding the daphnia to your larvae as am not sure if you want algae in your hatchery water at this stage.... I didn't do it this way so you may try this method and tell us how it went... I've noticed one research opens the way to another.

Feeding your Larvae.
I did not pour the daphnia and activated yeast into the tank - (oh I forgot to mention earlier... when you add warm water to the dried yeast I was told they'd become activated... whatever that meant was not my concern then, my concern was to dissolve them). I simply fed the daphnia in the morning and allowed them to consume every yeast and by evening the water was crystal clear except for the daphnia in it hunting for yeast then I connected my tube opened the regulator to slowly siphon them into the larvae tank till the next day and left -those larvae didn't get the best care, it wasn't intentional tho but I had other things to do besides it was just research and I wasn't very serious with it again after I confirmed the larvae were fine. You may also scoop them with a cup if you have the time.... Remember to add hatchery water to the daphnia container you wish to feed to your larvae to taper the water so it is near same as the water in your larvae tank...you don't want to shock your larvae with rapid water quality change...your larvae won't like you very much. Also, adding water will increase the volume so most of the daphnia will go thru the tube before the water level reduces (if you're using what I now wish to call Slow Siphon Method - SSM) and so you don't have to wait on it. The quantity you feed your larvae is up to you. Fear not! The daphnia will not pollute your water if they remain uneaten they will simply be swimming around- tho I doubt Clarias larvae will allow that.

Okay, it's time for me to say clearly that your results may differ from mine but my intention here is to help you and others culture there own live feed for fish hatchery use. Live feed is the best for starting your fish larvae and afterwards as they grow bigger you will have to switch to compounded dry diets. Suffix it to say that Artemia is a good option too if you got a good quality brand and you're skilled at using it.

What point did I miss pls?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rizzyreal: 12:41am On Apr 19, 2020
I appreciate you for starting up this wonderful trend. It has really build up my confidence in taking actions to start up fish farm. God reward you bountifully.

I also appreciate every one in this forum who have honestly and selflessly unleash great insight to fish farming. Also those that asked questions, I have equally learnt from you. God bless you all real good and increase you on all sides.

In as much as I read agriculture in school and love fish farming, taking up the bold step to start up was a major
Challenge to me because so many farmers are withholding most practicle knowledge.

Having read in between the lines from page 1- 486, I will like to say it is worth all the time, sleepless nights and patient. I have learnt a lot and also willing to learnt more from the farmers in Port Harcourt.

robonski15:
I have given all those who showed interest for d business plan on catfish culture there free copies hence no more free copies, but anyone who needs it can still indicate there interest.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by whiteraven: 8:10am On Apr 20, 2020
I need this tank please....in Benin city...if you have for sale at an affordable price pls let me know

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oluyemioy(m): 5:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
FOR THOSE NEARBY

We sell catfish (including brood stock), eggs, old layers, and pigs

@
OLUYEMI FARMS

Eggs Sales Depot:
127 Akarigbo Street,
Besides First Bank,
Ijoku, Sagamu.

Fish Farm:
Fish Farm Estate,
Rubber Plantation,
Sagamu.

Poultry & Pig Farm:
1 OLUYEMI LANE,
ODOYANGUNSEN,
VIA IDI-SCALE,
ATIKORI, IJEBU IGBO.

"OUR MISSION IS TO FEED YOU."
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Toosure70: 4:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
hello farmers, can fish feeds only on maggots from 8 weeks till table size?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Toosure70: 4:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
aquatic1:

Get a big basin and pack them inside before washing the pond, the quantity u stock in each pond is not much, and it will create enough space for them to grow.
can fish feeds only on maggots from 8 weeks till table size?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Toosure70: 4:27pm On Apr 21, 2020
excelsiorfarm:
by your measurement your tanks should contain 9000 litres and 6300 litres of water respectively, so from this calculation, you can easily get your answers, but adhere to the advise given previously
please sir, how many fishes can store in this type of tank

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
Hello all,
Can anyone here help me with a good business plan for fish farming?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleyp(m): 11:52am On Apr 23, 2020
like how much are are you looking to put in ?
Hello all,
Can anyone here help me with a good business plan for fish farming?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Futurejoy(f): 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2020
chines4:
Good Day House,
I want to set up a fish farm in Asaba, But due to work issue I need Manager/partner in Asaba. If the person is not residence in Asaba and willing to relocate, house can be made available to the person. The person must have drive for success and ability to go the extra mile. Salary will be share of profit. We intend the run integrated farm that will include poultry and greenhouse farming. Any youth with drive for success and is interested should contact me call/whatsapp on 08077699801.
I am interested in this but I need details though
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by innocentchuks(m): 12:19am On Apr 24, 2020
Please everyone while we are on lock down, praying that this pandemic will be over, you can as well book for ur fingerings. We have good and improved seeds for disposal. For more information call 08038651783
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Brightfuture279: 8:58am On Apr 24, 2020
Please my fish has a rotten tail
Please what should I do before it gets too worse
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 9:39pm On Apr 24, 2020
Brightfuture279:
Please my fish has a rotten tail Please what should I do before it gets too worse
post pictures of them.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:14am On Apr 26, 2020
my good people of Nigeria please let's stay at home n b safe, d pandemic is real. let's use this opportunity to give Nigerians fishes for those of us that v fishes in d farm, this d time to show love. Thanks God b with us all

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Xential(m): 7:56am On Apr 26, 2020
pls great family, I stay in Enugu, I need fast growing cat fish post fingerlings.
2) pls what kind of fish feed can I use from start to finish to attain table size in 5months
3) what's the quantity that is recommended per day to avoid over feeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleyp(m): 8:23am On Apr 26, 2020
pls where is your location? i need fish
robonski15:
my good people of Nigeria please let's stay at home n b safe, d pandemic is real. let's use this opportunity to give Nigerians fishes for those of us that v fishes in d farm, this d time to show love. Thanks God b with us all
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleyp(m): 8:31am On Apr 26, 2020
well you start with imported feeds of different sizes depending on their growth. sizes are 1mm 1.8mm/2mm 3.5mm 4.5mm 6mm till growth out .
imported feeds like skretting is good but you can start the use of local feeds after sometime.
well quantity depends on the number of fish and their sizes but do not over feed fingerlings
if you are a starter its better you starts with the juveniles.
all i said above are just my opinions others have their ways too so its better to learn from more than one person.
Xential:
pls great family, I stay in Enugu, I need fast growing cat fish post fingerlings.
2) pls what kind of fish feed can I use from start to finish to attain table size in 5months
3) what's the quantity that is recommended per day to avoid over feeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cedarfarms: 8:56am On Apr 26, 2020
whiteraven:
I need this tank please....in Benin city...if you have for sale at an affordable price pls let me know

I have available in Benin......
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jamp: 9:53am On Apr 26, 2020
robonski15:

Bros thanks for keeping this thread alive. You have done wonderful job by enriching lives.

God bless you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:43pm On Apr 26, 2020
Smoked seasoned oven dried catfish available

Dried straight up...

Nationwide delivery availble

Call/whatsapp 08063333215

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 4:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
robonski15:
oga robonski long time oo. happy to see u here.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by whiteraven: 6:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
Cedarfarms:

I have available in Benin......
how much
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cedarfarms: 12:44pm On Apr 27, 2020
whiteraven:
how much

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by whiteraven: 1:13pm On Apr 27, 2020
Cedarfarms:

if you will give me for 5k let me come and get it tomorrow
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:44pm On Apr 28, 2020
Toosure70:
please sir, how many fishes can store in this type of tank
just give them room and stock just 60
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nadisms: 10:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
Thank you all

Am new here..

Pls if there is any WhatsApp room or Telegram group for catfish farm,pls add me

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wizi44(m): 11:44pm On Apr 29, 2020
My question is about breeding. Please how can i differentiate between male and female. How to make them reproduce. Feeding routine for the hatchlings up to fingerlings. And also the perfect age to start breeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by souldeep(m): 6:44am On Apr 30, 2020
Healthy table size catfish of 1kg - 2kg for sale in Benin city.
Call or WhatsApp: 0805 806 4764

(1) (2) (3) ... (484) (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.