Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? (3838 Views)

When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? / How Marriage Has Become A Luxury In Nigeria / My Husband Of Less Than A 1yr Of Marriage Has Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by TonyTech(m): 4:44pm On Apr 01, 2008
Where and When Did Marriage Start?

Nairalanders, is there any one among you that knows the point in the history of humanity, where the concept of marrying was introduced.

Did the early people marry form other nonrelated families,  was their a point in the known human history where marriage never existed.

winkJust wondering aloud.
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by omena555(f): 11:42am On Apr 03, 2008
marriage has always existed. it was instituted by God himself. it all started when God saw that it wasnt good for Adam to be alone and He made Eve for him. Genesis 2:18 "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him"

and Genesis 2 verse 24 says "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh"

so @ poster if u are not yet married, start getting ready oh. . .  grin
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by TonyTech(m): 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2008
@reply

You see, God didn't start today's type of marriage, because Adam did not pay Eve's bride price to God.

He (Adam) just woke up from sleep and saw Eve. The rest is history.

So when did men learn to sell their female children.
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by Lady2(f): 6:19am On Apr 10, 2008
r u looking for an excuse not to pay bride price?
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by omena555(f): 4:13pm On Apr 10, 2008
TonyTech:

@reply

You see, God didn't start today's type of marriage, because Adam did not pay Eve's bride price to God.

He (Adam) just woke up from sleep and saw Eve. The rest is history.

So when did men learn to sell their female children.
don't worry, just go to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow morning, im sure u will see your own Eve beside u.  grin grin

~Lady~:

r u looking for an excuse not to pay bride price?
dont mind him o jare! grin i'm sure he's looking for a free wifey
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by FMK(m): 4:55pm On Apr 10, 2008
you can do an after the fact talk with the girl pregant her then familly will tell you to take her free

hey no evryone has possibility to pay bride price
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by FMK(m): 10:18am On Apr 11, 2008
Guys How do you Pay Bride Price in Nigeria can you send me a list
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by TonyTech(m): 12:04am On Apr 13, 2008
shocked omena555
If wake up in the morning and see an Eve beside me , I will probably take off. You never know where she could be comming from.

~Lady~
don't mind him o jare! Grin i'm sure he's looking for a free wifey

Its not like that, (though free wifey is not totaly bad, may be I can marry as many as I want then), You see, this subject is quite a salient one. parents give out they daughters/son in marriage (Nigeria/India respectively) and perform all the rights that follow it, but here we are, not knowing the historical origin of what we do and observe every now and then.

Guys, jokes apart, do any of you have a posative clue to has this ceremony started. some poeple said it started from political activities, others say it was a kind of contract that united families in those good old days, while yet another group say its born out of greed of certain parents from certain tribes.

The bible recorded some marriage ceremonies, but showed no sign of how it started.

How do you think it all started
Re: Marriage! Has It Always Existed, If Not, When Did It Start? by omoba4real: 3:47pm On Nov 07, 2011
Please read this inspiring story about marriage:

When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I've got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.

Suddenly I didn't know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.

She didn't seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why?

I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn't talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn't love her anymore. I just pitied her!

With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.
She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Jane so dearly.
Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.

Read the rest of this story here http://soinspiringstories..com/2011/10/marriage.html

(1) (Reply)

If This Continues, Divorce Is Inevitable / Ego Sum Custos Fratris Mei Semper! / I Love You Wahala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.