Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

My Short Film Script- PARANOIA - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / My Short Film Script- PARANOIA (17450 Views)

'Action Film'- A Short Film Script By Sholay2011 / Wildfire - A Short Film Script / Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script (2) (3) (4)

Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 4:03pm On Apr 09, 2013
worldnews:

Wow brilliant...!!! Are you still in London? I'll be coming to London by God grace in July or August.

Yes my broda I am in London. If you do come let's catch up. I got various bits of kit so we can have a muck-about or just chillax chatting film stuff! EDIT - This looks like a double post but it seems the robot that attacked me has now released the post I wrote when he struck. Bad Robot!

prof800: @villageboi...this one no be family reunion u dey do with worldnews abi..?
and this one wey oga at the top dey ask for speedy reminds me of cane and abel... : "are you your brother's keeper?"
(still on the PARANOIA mode)

Lol Prof. Yes nah... even you be my broda too. Ahhh I still nefa see Speedy
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ncpat(m): 4:20pm On Apr 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

I apologise for sounding off. As Eno siad you have a good idea with the 'bringing the family back to life', however that is a 'different' film. No single film can be everything or cover everything - it's just the way films are.

The truth is, you, like a lot of other posters here, do have pretty good ideas. And we can't wait for people like you to do things. I'm sure a lot of the posters on this thread CAN write a good script - they will all be different stories - and the good thing about that is - the more the merrier.

I'm glad to hear you are shooting on Thursday. Is it your first film? Is it a short or feature? I also see more and more people starting out making shorts, as cheaper equipment such as DSLRs becomes accesible, and that is very good for our industry. It enables people to experiment and learn things without too much of an upfront cost.

For example (forgive me Sholay for posting this here) - @ ncap - This guy called Eric is making/has made a great looking film and we hope he talks more about it. Thread here - https://www.nairaland.com/1239160/mile-home-nigerian-trailer

Please do let us know more about your film too. We're all in this together and hope to grow. Also, well done for actually going out and shooting something on Thursday. Nice one!

Yes, it is my first movie with no previous experience, just trying to help a friend out who wants to make movie by all means with out finance , hahahahahahahah.... He is the writer of the script and has even done one before with good story line that could get international recognition from W.H.O and UNICEF but b,cos no resources and he decided to do it and they messed up the all thing that the movie is not in the market, the title of the movie is CHILD'S ADVOCATE so any interested movie maker with resouces can indicate so that I can drop the script.
Back to the one i'm shooting come this thursday the title the script writer title it is DINA HYPOTHESIS b,cos it has to do with a final year student in university writing her project and she made new discovery but i'm telling him to change the movie title to the PROJECT as this title would be more familiar to people and easy to pronounce so as to make it a household name. So house drop ur comment as I will always welcome both. Thanks all.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 4:29pm On Apr 09, 2013
ncpat:

Yes, it is my first movie with no previous experience, just trying to help a friend out who wants to make movie by all means with out finance , hahahahahahahah.... He is the writer of the script and has even done one before with good story line that could get international recognition from W.H.O and UNICEF but b,cos no resources and he decided to do it and they messed up the all thing that the movie is not in the market, the title of the movie is CHILD'S ADVOCATE so any interested movie maker with resouces can indicate so that I can drop the script.
Back to the one i'm shooting come this thursday the title the script writer title it is DINA HYPOTHESIS b,cos it has to do with a final year student in university writing her project and she made new discovery but i'm telling him to change the movie title to the PROJECT as this title would be more familiar to people and easy to pronounce so as to make it a household name. So house drop ur comment as I will always welcome both. Thanks all.

Really glad to hear you guys are out there making things. I know, it's not easy without good funds because the truth be told - creativity will only let us get so far - unfortunately money does the rest.

You are completely right on the name of the film - 'Project' is so much easier to say and even 'think' of than 'Dina Hypothesis'. If those were two actual films showing in a cinema and people without knowing what they want to watch saw those names - the majority, with no other info to go on, would most probably pick 'Project'.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by sholay2011(m): 4:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

Ah, I nefa even enta thread we don catch say you no read the posts lol... Sholay is 13. grin shocked grin
U re high. How dare you say I'm 13?! Am I dat old? I'm 6! grin
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
sholay2011:
U re high. How dare you say I'm 13?! Am I dat old? I'm 6! grin

Hahahahaha no blame me. I beg blame Eno... na she cause am! I will grass her up straight! For real, for real na she do am.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ojesoj(m): 5:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
Wen you talk of finance 4 a person making his 1st film. You can make ur film as low as N40,000. How do yu do that.
1. Let me assume you av all necessary cameras,yu can improvise wit any kind of light 2 light up ur scene and computer 4 editin ur film
2. Have a good story 4 d movie going wit a good script.
3. Get a good director as i am 4 ur movie. Directing is vital
4. get cast and tell them payment is after you sell the movie and encourage ur cast 2 come on set wit their own costume
5. Pple especially Nigerian are eager 2 act and get publicity
6. There yu go ur movie is on DVD ready 4 market.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 5:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
ojesoj: Wen you talk of finance 4 a person making his 1st film. You can make ur film as low as N40,000. How do yu do that.
1. Let me assume you av all necessary cameras,yu can improvise wit any kind of light 2 light up ur scene and computer 4 editin ur film
2. Have a good story 4 d movie going wit a good script.
3. Get a good director as i am 4 ur movie. Directing is vital
4. get cast and tell them payment is after you sell the movie and encourage ur cast 2 come on set wit their own costume
5. Pple especially Nigerian are eager 2 act and get publicity
6. There yu go ur movie is on DVD ready 4 market.

Good ideas there but when it goes straight to the DVD market, knowing Naija, isn't the film dead there and then? I might be wrong but I think to stand half a chance it needs to be good enough to do the cinema run or is the completed film sold to the 'marketers' to deal with the DVD sales?
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ncpat(m): 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

Really glad to hear you guys are out there making things. I know, it's not easy without good funds because the truth be told - creativity will only let us get so far - unfortunately money does the rest.

You are completely right on the name of the film - 'Project' is so much easier to say and even 'think' of than 'Dina Hypothesis'. If those were two actual films showing in a cinema and people without knowing what they want to watch saw those names - the majority, with no other info to go on, would most probably pick 'Project'.
Thanks man please encourage me more as I have not done such before, I only shot and edited one poor quality musical video back in 2007 and since then I have not done any video work due to the nature of my work, I will post a link to the music video when i'm using a PC cos i'm posting from mobile.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 6:15pm On Apr 09, 2013
ncpat: Thanks man please encourage me more as I have not done such before, I only shot and edited one poor quality musical video back in 2007 and since then I have not done any video work due to the nature of my work, I will post a link to the music video when i'm using a PC cos i'm posting from mobile.

The fact that you guys are going out there to shoot something is good. Double check & triple check EVERYTHING! As long as you guys have done some serious work on the pre-prod you should have half a chance of things going well on the shoot. Be prepared for anything. Did you say it's a 'short' or 'feature'?
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by Tosham: 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2013
Fabulous script if you ask me!!!!! I duff my hat, this is not something I'm likely going to see on the regular Nigerian movie scene, and only the likes of Fred Amata or Kunle Afolayan would not surprise me with this.
I enjoyed every detail of it, just wondering tho, if there could be instead of a shadow, maybe a lonely elderly man he did talk with at times since he was jobless anyway, an elderly man in d fold of someone he shares his burdens with.....
But I seriously wouldn't mind auditioning for a role as acting is my thing....
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ncpat(m): 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

The fact that you guys are going out there to shoot something is good. Double check & triple check EVERYTHING! As long as you guys have done some serious work on the pre-prod you should have half a chance of things going well on the shoot. Be prepared for anything. Did you say it's a 'short' or 'feature'?

Feature, we will be shooting with CANNOE 7D for high resolution and picture quality, just finished negotiation with the owner of the camera who does'nt even know how to operate it, please kindly help me on how to connect external mic on the cannoe d7 as i'm not with it now cos I want a cristal clear sound and I will also do more research on it later when i'm using PC
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by Enoquin(f): 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
embarassed But...but...I...th...thought...no, I didn't see where he mentioned his age oh...come, leave me joor and what if I didn't read the posts, like there is an award or something? *tongue out*
Ah! I see...you wanted to say "Eno, you've been punked!" right? Kai!

VillageBoi:

Ah, I nefa even enta thread we don catch say you no read the posts lol... Sholay is 13. grin shocked grin
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 7:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Enoquin: embarassed But...but...I...th...thought...no, I didn't see where he mentioned his age oh...come, leave me joor and what if I didn't read the posts, like there is an award or something? *tongue out*

Nne, no be only you. Me sef didn't even remember he wrote the lead character na 30-something guy.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ijebabe: 7:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
A very nice script sholay. I like the idea of the conversation with his image, its something we can relate to. I hope you can capture this essence while shooting the film because its all in the details. I read the script and the movie plays in my head (weirdly, its not in colour grin)and I could imagine what the characters looked like, the little gestures that differentiate Thomson from his image even though they are the same person, the last scene in the apartment etc.

I agree with VillageBoi on character build-up. The first scene was very vague as there was no 'setting'. There was no indication of who Mrs Eze was to Thomson. Was he a fresh graduate from uni or done with NYSC when he had the conversation with Mrs Eze? Is he an orphan or had a no-good dad. It lacked certain descriptions at the start but other than that I liked it. Can't wait to see it in when it's done cheesy
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 7:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
ncpat:
Feature, we will be shooting with CANNOE 7D for high resolution and picture quality, just finished negotiation with the owner of the camera who does'nt even know how to operate it, please kindly help me on how to connect external mic on the cannoe d7 as i'm not with it now cos I want a cristal clear sound and I will also do more research on it later when i'm using PC

Ok first of all let's start with the basics... you are NOT going to get good sound out of a 7D no matter what mic you connect to it simply because of the absolutely sh*tty pre-amps in DSLRs.
First thing you have to do for good sound is - DUAL SYSTEM sound. You guys find a sound guy with recording kit NOW. If you were in Abuja I'd have linked you up with my friend right now.

You need something like a Zoom H4n recorder and then you sync up in the edit. Infact any semi-pro to pro sound device. The audio that goes in or is captured by a DSLR is only to be used as a guide track (something to help you sync in post).

Hey let's jump out of this thread since we don't want to derail it. I'll open up another one with something like 'Canon DSLR audio' come there. Talk soon.

EDIT - Go to the thread here - https://www.nairaland.com/1252198/canon-dslr-audio-topic
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 7:56pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: I read the script and the movie plays in my head (weirdly, its not in colour grin)and I could imagine what the characters looked like, the little gestures that differentiate Thomson from his image even though they are the same person, the last scene in the apartment etc.

I'm jealous... you lot are so lucky.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ijebabe: 8:02pm On Apr 09, 2013
^ You are a 'words' person right? I envy you.

Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by sholay2011(m): 8:03pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: A very nice script sholay. I like the idea of the conversation with his image, its something we can relate to. I hope you can capture this essence while shooting the film because its all in the details. I read the script and the movie plays in my head (weirdly, its not in colour grin)and I could imagine what the characters looked like, the little gestures that differentiate Thomson from his image even though they are the same person, the last scene in the apartment etc.

I agree with VillageBoi on character build-up. The first scene was very vague as there was no 'setting'. There was no indication of who Mrs Eze was to Thomson. Was he a fresh graduate from uni or done with NYSC when he had the conversation with Mrs Eze? Is he an orphan or had a no-good dad. It lacked certain descriptions at the start but other than that I liked it. Can't wait to see it in when it's done cheesy
At last! Madam don comment! Tnx.
As regards the description of who Mrs.Eze is to Thompson, I do not think that's necessary. The whole story is woven around Thompson and his subconscious, not the other way round. I think what's essential is the contribution of Mrs. Eze to Thompson's present situation- which she did by asking him where he sees himself by age 30.
Nevertheless, I would try modifying the script to show he was at an interview when the question was asked to give the director the image of the scene. Thanks!
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ijebabe: 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2013
I agree about Mrs Eze's role not being important in the movie but an insight as to who she is from a 'reading' standpoint is important. In Thomson's flashback, it could have been a faceless person with just a voice but you chose to have a character with a face and a name; providing the setting only seemed natural.
It would also help in understanding his frustrations all the more, especially his decision to go to the house of a married woman with 2 kids, with the intent to kill her husband and take over his life. smiley
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by sholay2011(m): 8:29pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: I agree about Mrs Eze's role not being important in the movie but an insight as to who she is from a 'reading' standpoint is important. In Thomson's flashback, it could have been a faceless person with just a voice but you chose to have a character with a face and a name; providing the setting only seemed natural.
It would also help in understanding his frustrations all the more, especially his decision to go to the house of a married woman with 2 kids, with the intent to kill her husband and take over his life. smiley
Noted!
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 8:44pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: I agree about Mrs Eze's role not being important in the movie but an insight as to who she is from a 'reading' standpoint is important.

To this and the rest of your post I'd say kind of but not really. I think because 'short films' are relatively new on the Naija scene we still look at them like 'features' where everything is fully developed (or should be). With shorts that doesn't really have to be the case. A lot of things can be left unexplained or unanswered as long as it doesn't stop one from getting the gist of the film and the twist.

For example Mrs Eze - we don't even get to know her name. Would it badly harm the film if we don't know who she is? Not at all really. She serves a purpose by asking a question that gets the 'real' ball rolling. She could even be a figment of his imagination and we still wouldn't really be hurt story-wise.

I think one of the reasons this script has received such positive comments is because it is SO SIMPLE.

Notice I say 'the film' as I'm coming from a perspective of a film 'already' shot. Script reading slightly different - we are so used to 'books' that have every leaf that blows in the wind explained and so much detail; when we see the film (or something) made from a book that we've read we then realise so much is missing but wouldn't have known that if we didn't read the book. For example the Game Of Thrones thread.

It may be developed more but that means 'adding' and what ever is added needs to be as good as what is already there; which can be done. I personally have complicated scripts before and know it can have its pitfalls; it can also work brilliantly.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ijebabe: 9:04pm On Apr 09, 2013
If we don't know who she is how would you describe the setting of the scene in the film? Will they both be in white robes floating on thin air? No! (unless sholay decides to do that grin)
I don't expect it all spoon-fed to me like a book would but a little description won't hurt. If sholay didn't get my point he wouldn't have made reference to to Mrs Eze questioning Thompson in an interview. THAT is the setting and gives insight to who she is. I mean, we even know Funmi was wearing an evening gown when Thompson visited, c'mon now grin
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 9:11pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: If we don't know who she is how would you describe the setting of the scene in the film? Will they both be in white robes floating on thin air? No! (unless sholay decides to do that grin)
I don't expect it all spoon-fed to me like a book would but a little description won't hurt. If sholay didn't get my point he wouldn't have made reference to to Mrs Eze questioning Thompson in an interview.

That's a 'modification' he's talking about considering in his reply to you. Mrs Eze is (as in the script) already in his 'bedroom' and as described is dressed 'corporately'. Flowing gowns no bad shaa make guys see 'somthing' nah! grin
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by ijebabe: 9:18pm On Apr 09, 2013
^ Exactly cos a setting is important and that is one part I had trouble picturing. I ended up imagining them in a black room with just a spotlight highlighting their profiles when they talk. That was creepy!
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by sholay2011(m): 9:23pm On Apr 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

That's a 'modification' he's talking about considering in his reply to you. Mrs Eze is (as in the script) already in his 'bedroom' and as described is dressed 'corporately'. Flowing gowns no bad shaa make guys see 'somthing' nah! grin
Lol@ ur last statement...BadBoi (no be VillageBoi again).
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 9:26pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: ^ Exactly cos a setting is important and that is one part I had trouble picturing. I ended up imagining them in a black room with just a spotlight highlighting their profiles when they talk. That was creepy!

^ But I love being in black rooms with women. It's awesome lol grin
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 9:28pm On Apr 09, 2013
sholay2011:
Lol@ ur last statement...BadBoi (no be VillageBoi again).

Lol I beg change her cloth to (how women dey call that their see-thru underwear) shebi na neglijims? We wan see nah!
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
What more can I say? This is just a fantastic script. You are good, know that!

THOMPSON: Nothing new under the sun. That’s why people say love at first sight.
this sounds unrealistic. and even more rude. he could've said something like 'I'm sorry. Do you believe in love at first sight?'

The dialogue of this script is so tight.....no unnecessary 'senrere'. kudos to you once again. smiley.

This thread has jumped ooooo. I will try to go through it though.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by sholay2011(m): 10:01pm On Apr 09, 2013
speedyboi: What more can I say? This is just a fantastic script. You are good, know that!

this sounds unrealistic. and even more rude. he could've said something like 'I'm sorry. Do you believe in love at first sight?'

The dialogue of this script is so tight.....no unnecessary 'senrere'. kudos to you once again. smiley.

This thread has jumped ooooo. I will try to go through it though.
Thanks bro.
In reference to Thompson's line that you pointed out, it's because you are sane that you think it's unrealistic...lol. Btw, I wanted Thompson to sound very rude (because when you get into his psyche, you would discover he already sees Funmi as his wife who another man (the neighbour) coveted. This results into overconfidence in aprroaching her and eventually amounts to being impolite).
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 09, 2013
semid4lyfe: @ VillageBoi, wey your pal Speedyboi and your madam, IJ? wink

I'm surprised they haven't posted comments. They're never far from this kinda threads undecided

Sholay2011: Thanks bro.
In reference to Thompson's line that you pointed out, it's because you are sane that you think it's unrealistic...lol. Btw, I wanted Thompson to sound very rude (because when you get into his psyche, you would discover he already sees Funmi as his wife who another man (the neighbour) coveted. This results into overconfidence in aprroaching her and eventually amounts to being impolite).

yea.......i figured, but i've posted this already. I'm expecting a breathtaking short soon. you and my bro should put in all efforts wink.
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 09, 2013
ncpat:

lol, like seriously?.......I had the feeling from onset that you are a_______wink lipsrsealed
Re: My Short Film Script- PARANOIA by VillageBoi(m): 12:00am On Apr 10, 2013
speedyboi:
lol, like seriously?.......I had the feeling from onset that you are a_______wink lipsrsealed

There's always a first time wink grin

Stop Selling Foreign Films - NFVCB - National Film & Videos Censors Board / Interestin Korean Movies / Tolanibaj Evicted From The Big Brother Naija All Stars

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87