Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,548 members, 7,809,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream (21729 Views)

How To Confirm US Lottery Visa. / African Migrants Abandon The American Dream / Dv Lottery Winners Pls Advice: Is There A Secret For Winning The Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by akinbimatt: 12:08am On Apr 01, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y.—Sunita K., a petite, 46-year-old woman with freckled skin, peeked through the door of a 7-Eleven in Queens, trying to catch a glimpse of the person behind the billing counter. She was searching for Indian faces, confused by similar brown-skinned Hispanic ones. A Nepalese immigrant, Sunita speaks only a few words of English and was hoping to find a benevolent Hindi-speaking Indian to give her a job. Any job.

“I felt defeated,” she says in scarcely coherent Hindi, her first and only language being Nepalese. In the two years that Sunita* and her family have spent in the United States, they have been sucked into a vicious cycle of isolation, unemployment, illness and shattered dreams. “We were supposed to be lucky to be in America, but this has been the worst time of my life.”

Sunita was one of the 50,000 winners of the 2008 “Green Card” lottery. Officially called the Diversity Visa lottery, it is offered by the U.S. State Department in countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. Winners, chosen through a random computer-generated lottery, are given permanent resident visas to live, work and study in the U.S. Each year, more than 10 million people apply; like Sunita, 70 percent of the winners come from developing countries in Africa and Asia.

But without any assistance, family or guidance in a new country, many find themselves unprepared to start their lives from scratch.

When he applied for the lottery, Sunita’s husband, 48-year-old Bijay, had worked for 20 years as a civil irrigation engineer for the Nepalese government. He had a comfortable job, the perks of government employment and a settled life, but was persuaded by his 18-year-old son’s desire to study computer engineering in the U.S. and his own wish to be among the “lucky” Nepalese to win the “golden opportunity to go to America.”

Three months later, the consular officer at the U.S. embassy in Kathmandu shook his hand and said heartily, “Welcome to America.” The K. family had won the Green Card lottery.

In preparation for their new life, Bijay mortgaged the family home to raise 1 million Nepalese rupees, roughly $14,000. The family paid around $700 each for the lottery fee, spent $4,500 on three one-way air tickets, and set aside the rest to cover their initial expenses in the U.S.

Lottery winners are unique in their lack of a support system. Unlike immigrants who are “sponsored” by families or employers based in the U.S., those with diversity lottery visas often don’t have a family or job waiting for them. Nor do they have avenues for help or information— the State Department does not offer orientation sessions or programs to integrate them into mainstream American society. A booklet, “Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants,” published by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office, is available in 17 languages. But immigrants are seldom aware of even this rudimentary resource.

Sunita and her family certainly weren’t. They first arrived at the home of a friend of a friend in Springfield, Maryland, where they rented a two-bedroom apartment for $1,000 a month. But they quickly realized that Bijay's engineering degree from Nepal would not get him a job in the U.S., unless he supplemented it with a six-month American diploma. Nepalese neighbors and acquaintances told the family to apply for jobs in stores like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, just to pay the bills till they found better work. But Sunita and Bijay were turned down there, too. Without references, they couldn’t get jobs.

“This is the plight of most people who come to the U.S. on DV lottery,” says Narbada Chhetri, a senior community organizer at a New York–based Nepalese not-for-profit, Adhikaar. “They are normally educated Nepalese, but when they come here, they become cheap labor for local businesses. They are desperate and willing to work very hard for very little money.”

Unlike other visas, the Diversity Visa requires applicants to have a high school education or at least two years of work experience. A 2008 report by the Migration Policy Institute, called “Uneven Progress,” said lottery winners were the second-largest group of legal immigrants, after refugees and asylees, to suffer significant occupational downgrading in the U.S. Immigrants with college, even masters’ degrees, are employed as babysitters, domestic help, cab drivers and waiters.

Upwardly Global, a New York–based organization, helps foreign-trained immigrants to develop job search techniques, craft U.S. style resumes, and hone interview skills. A third of their clients are lottery winners, says Nikki Cicerani, the executive director.

Job-hunting is only a part of the problem though. The K. family was uninformed about many aspects of living and working in the U.S: What is a Social Security number? How does health insurance work? How could they get proof of permanent address?

Sunita spent her days worrying and her nights crying. Chronic anxiety and haphazard meal times led to her developing severe gastric problems, and the cold weather stirred Bijay’s asthma from hibernation.

Broken, the family decided to start over and moved to a crammed, one-bedroom basement apartment in Annandale, Virginia. Their son, Sunil, landed a job as a waiter at an Indian restaurant, where he worked 12 hours a day and returned home so tired, Sunita recalls, he couldn’t even bend to remove his shoes.

“In Nepal, my boy had never so much as lifted a cup of tea,” she says, tears springing to her eyes.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by akinbimatt: 12:09am On Apr 01, 2013
Contd...

she says, tears springing to her eyes. “And here he was, working like a servant. I used to cry to myself. I wanted to ask the American government, ‘What do we do? Where do we go? Who should we ask for help?’ This wasn’t the America we had signed up for.”

Winners of the Domestic Visa lottery often complain that they have been thrown into the deep end, with not even a helpline to call, says Segun Kerry, founder of the New York–based Nigerian Community Help Center, which provides emergency assistance, counseling and referral services to Nigerians in America. “But despite the hardships and isolation, people keep coming because the situation in our country is bad and unsafe,” he adds.

In addition to everything else, the K. family's new country felt unsafe. One night, as Sunil was walking home from work, he was mugged at gunpoint. That’s when the family decided to move again, this time picking Queens, New York, where a large Nepalese community lives.

Sunita got a job as a nanny for an Indian family that paid $400 a week; her son took a string of restaurant and other jobs.

But New York’s promise of a better life proved elusive too. Sunil, disillusioned about his work and guilt-ridden about his parents’ plight, fell into a severe depression and eventually moved to New Jersey to work at a gas station.

Most nights, Sunil has trouble sleeping, but he says he feels better knowing that he is contributing $400 a month to his father, who was recently diagnosed with a liver disorder. Sunita often thinks about returning home, but without a house or money to pay her debts, Nepal is no longer an option.

“My husband doesn’t eat and is too weak to move. He still tries to get up and hunt for a job. If he dies, I don’t think I’ll even have the money to cremate him,” Sunita says, unable to hold back her tears. “There is no God here."

*some names and details have been changed

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by akinbimatt: 12:31am On Apr 01, 2013
It aint greener on the other side like many think it is...Mod ...Frontpage pls...

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 01, 2013
It's so Sad, and it's really a sorry decision by the father, How can you leave certainty for uncertainty, It doesn't make any sense if you have a good paying job and den abandon it all in the name of relocating to the USA

5 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Ugosample(m): 2:50pm On Apr 01, 2013
It's so sad! That's what happens when one doesn't plan! It's not a crime to emigrate but one must make a comprehensive plan when doing so.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Mavor: 1:24pm On Apr 02, 2013
This is what happens when you emigrate and you dont have a plan.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by dridowu: 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2013
I think winning is good but "future" plan must b on ground. Abt 80% of winners dat i have cme across personally have achieved more dan wen dy are in 9ja.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by tpia5: 11:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
indians (ie asians) who generally have it better than other immigrants, are complaining, what will blacks (especially nigerians) say if they should start talking.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Gbenge77(m): 11:23am On Apr 03, 2013
dridowu: I think winning is good but "future" plan must b on ground. Abt 80% of winners dat i have cme across personally have achieved more dan wen dy are 9ja.
Ditto for me.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by akinbimatt: 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
going through this again.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by otokx(m): 5:42pm On Nov 10, 2013
A hard way to learn but people will still not take instruction.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ochukoccna: 11:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
A plan is nothing but plans are everything
Those who fail to plan, plan to fail

Moving to a new country is hard enough but I feel if the above quotes were heeded by this family especially by their son who had computer engineering inclinations, it would have been easier on them when they moved
Even though the guy is not a computer engineer, pray, does he need such knowledge to do through online Internet research for the family? undecided undecided
The Internet is one of the great tools that aid life in the West
Another fact of life there is that the white man plans , plans and plans his daily monthly , yearly projects far ahead of time
When going into a new country, a good rule of thumb is to have enough to survive for at least 6 months [shelter, feeding, medicare, clothing, transportation] without having a job where you are going to
Your accent, qualifications will not allow for easy integration so its best to plan for worst case scenarios whilst hoping for the best
The Western world [esp now in this times of recession] is not a pleasurable place to come to for now expect you know people or/and have access to sizeable funds

4 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by dasparrow: 9:40am On Nov 11, 2013
ochukoccna: A plan is nothing but plans are everything

Moving to a new country is hard enough but I feel if the above quotes were heeded by this family especially by their son who had computer engineering inclinations, it would have been easier on them when they moved
Even though the guy is not a computer engineer, pray, does he need such knowledge to do through online Internet research for the family? undecided undecided
Another fact of life there is that the white man plans , plans and plans his daily monthly , yearly projects far ahead of time
When going into a new country, a good rule of thumb is to have enough to survive for at least 6 months [shelter, feeding, medicare, clothing, transportation] without having a job where you are going to
Your accent, qualifications will not allow for easy integration so its best to plan for worst case scenarios whilst hoping for the best
The Western world [esp now in this times of recession] is not a pleasurable place to come to for now expect you know people or/and have access to sizeable funds

@Bolded

This is what I keep telling people. I will not discourage anyone from migrating and looking for greener pastures but with the way things currently are in the western world, I will strongly advise anyone who already has a job in their home country and are living a comfortable life to stay put. The economic recession in the western world is still lingering on and jobs are hard to come by even for people who are born and raised in America and hold advanced degrees from American universities. It is rough out there. Even Nigerian-Americans - in other words Americans born and raised in America to Nigerian parents - are coming to Nigeria and looking for ways to get a job and settle here if the opportunity presents itself. The western world is not what it used to be in comparison to what it was when I went back there in the 90s.

@Post

I can relate to this article because I also suffered severe stomach problems when I first migrated to USA in the late 90s. Due to poor nutrition when I first arrived, I developed a severe stomach virus that required me to go for an endoscopy and then be placed on strong antibiotics. I really suffered when I first arrived in the USA. Looking back, you can't pay me to go through that kind of suffering again especially because America is no longer what she used to be as a nation. I watched with shock as so many indigenous Americans lost their homes because they could no longer make their mortgage payments. I watched as so many indigenous Americans had to sell their cars for dirt cheap just to pay their bills and I watched many indigenous Americans in their 20s and 30s moving back in with their aging parents because they have no jobs and as such cannot afford rent and are forced to live with their parents again. Others are postponing starting a family because they can barely afford to provide for themselves talk less of providing for children.

The world has become a tough place. I feel sorry for our generation but feel even worse for the future generations. The western world used to be some kind of a haven for people from poorer countries to go to and start life afresh while giving them an opportunity for a better life. But now that the western world is going through a seemingly never ending recession and tightening her borders, I wonder where people from developing countries go to now in search for greener pastures? Hmmmm.

12 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Godson201333(m): 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2013
Oh i am really touched after reading this story..
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 11, 2013
"A Nepalese immigrant, Sunita speaks only a few
words of English...."

The first paragraph is the origin of her current difficulties. How do you expect to get jobs in a country where the language of business is English. Survival jobs would even be difficult to come by or how would the employer satisfactorily explain the health and safety procedures for those jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
me dnt undastnd dis story ni??

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by MrAboki: 5:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
Like I said....

Na person wey never go there go see, na ehn no dey understand the value of 1 cup of Garri.

America of all places... #Tufiakwa.
You might as well go to Sudan.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by MillionDollars: 5:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
pls, wat language is dis

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
ochukoccna: A plan is nothing but plans are everything

Nail on the head!!
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
angry SuperStory
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by funnyx(m): 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
One of the reasons why I find it ridiculous that visas to USA are being granted via lottery. I've never been a fan of this lottery thingy, give visas to those who have the skills and experience you need not just anyone who's lucky enough to win it via lottery.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
Am sure thousands of people will have a good testimony. undecided
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by iterator25: 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
MillionDollars: pls, wat language is dis
Swahili
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by kkokoma: 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
I have a good job, beautiful wife with her own business, I have a smart son, own my own house, two cars, friends and family all here in Nigeria, U cannot pay me to emigrate abroad to start life afresh with no safety net. I schooled in Europe on a scholarship and despite being in an all white school in an all white community u know u do not belong

10 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ooshinibos: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
dasparrow:

@Bolded

This is what I keep telling people. I will not discourage anyone from migrating and looking for greener pastures but with the way things currently are in the western world, I will strongly advise anyone who already has a job in their home country and are living a comfortable life to stay put. The economic recession in the western world is still lingering on and jobs are hard to come by even for people who are born and raised in America and hold advanced degrees from American universities. It is rough out there. Even Nigerian-Americans - in other words Americans born and raised in America to Nigerian parents - are coming to Nigeria and looking for ways to get a job and settle here if the opportunity presents itself. The western world is not what it used to be in comparison to what it was when I went back there in the 90s.

@Post

I can relate to this article because I also suffered severe stomach problems when I first migrated to USA in the late 90s. Due to poor nutrition when I first arrived, I developed a severe stomach virus that required me to go for an endoscopy and then be placed on strong antibiotics. I really suffered when I first arrived in the USA. Looking back, you can't pay me to go through that kind of suffering again especially because America is no longer what she used to be as a nation. I watched with shock as so many indigenous Americans lost their homes because they could no longer make their mortgage payments. I watched as so many indigenous Americans had to sell their cars for dirt cheap just to pay their bills and I watched many indigenous Americans in their 20s and 30s moving back in with their aging parents because they have no jobs and as such cannot afford rent and are forced to live with their parents again. Others are postponing starting a family because they can barely afford to provide for themselves talk less of providing for children.

The world has become a tough place. I feel sorry for our generation but feel even worse for the future generations. The western world used to be some kind of a haven for people from poorer countries to go to and start life afresh while giving them an opportunity for a better life. But now that the western world is going through a seemingly never ending recession and tightening her borders, I wonder where people from developing countries go to now in search for greener pastures? Hmmmm.

after all is said , i believe you still prefer american to Nigeria , ...or you will have moved back to Nigeria . the land of Anarchy

4 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by tpia5: 6:03pm On Nov 12, 2013
funnyx: One of the reasons why I find it ridiculous that visas to USA are being granted via lottery. I've never been a fan of this lottery thingy, give visas to those who have the skills and experience you need not just anyone who's lucky enough to win it via lottery.

they know what they're doing, they're not s.tupid.

people just assume they are.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by acmev2(m): 6:03pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by packman: 6:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by mcdokwe(m): 6:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
America
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ugosample: It's so sad! That's what happens when one doesn't plan! It's not a crime to emigrate but one must make a comprehensive plan when doing so.
that u must have a plan first

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by soulglo: 6:11pm On Nov 12, 2013
So they basically had no plan before they came to the States. Also when you come to the States and you speak no English you should not surround yourselves with people that also speak no English or refuse to assimilate. I know Nigerians that were uneducated in Nigeria that moved to countries where they had to learn a new language and they are thriving. I even know of one that owns a sea food exportation business. He was a driver in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Immigration To Introduce Various Visa Categories / Fatal Accident Between Truck And Keke Leaves Two Dead In Imo State. Photos / Anambra Flood: Picture Updates From Odekpe Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.