Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) (1087930 Views)

[SPOILERS ALERT] MARVELS Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D - Fan Thread / Game Of Thrones : Red Wedding Scene / Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (859) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 09, 2013
coogar:

jupiter's cöck!

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by mikkyphp(m): 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
Thought the kingslayer was supposed to be one of the best swordsman around brienne just owned him on the bridge.I do hope jofferey get some soon this his cruelty may be a fall out from his obvious case of blueballs.it is hard to discuss GOT without revealing spoilers.
Guy, didnt you realize that Kingslayer was still in handcuffs?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Seun(m): 8:22pm On Apr 10, 2013
In the books, Jaime was incredibly ferocious during the fight. He tried to overwhelm Brienne with a rain of furious sword blows in every direction, and she spent most of the fight blocking and dodging his intense attacks and backing away. After a very long time - Jaime lost his sense of time during the attack - he finally got tired and she gained the upper hand. He was shocked and attributed his loss to his weakness as a result of his long imprisonment.

Compared to that, the TV fight was boring. It was choreographed as just another Hollywood sword-fight, which suggests that the choreographers didn't read the books. TV Jaime is as funny - or even funnier than book Jaime. But he needs more fighting lessons. He is not terrifying with the sword; just cocky. He stood no chance against TV Brienne since they were equally matched in the fight but she was in armour. The details they got wrong completely ruined the fight for me. sad
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by SIRcumalot: 7:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
[quote author=mikkyphp]
Guy, didnt you realize that Kingslayer was still in handcuff?
No I didn't at time of post but I know he had cuffs on now.in a matchup between the cleagane brothers(the mountain and the dog)who do you guys think will come out victorious ?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 1:06am On Apr 14, 2013
O..K I finally started watching Season 3, I couldn't resist. grin grin grin grin cheesy Can't wait to watch it tomorrow. cool
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 10:53am On Apr 14, 2013
stillwater: O..K I finally started watching Season 3, I couldn't resist. grin grin grin grin cheesy Can't wait to watch it tomorrow. cool

Lol. I had a bet with myself to see how long it was before you crumbled.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by xtrapolitewizzy(m): 11:32pm On Apr 14, 2013
What link can I download season III episodes? Pls it will really help.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 5:59am On Apr 15, 2013
Pls where can I download the remaining episodes of season 3, I have watched Episode 1.. I need the remaining Episodes pls..
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by ektbear: 9:42am On Apr 15, 2013
kat.ph is where I download stuff from.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kingsilly(m): 10:02am On Apr 15, 2013
watching episode 3
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 15, 2013
Opening scene, quite funny. See as the guy enter with confidence like say him na d best archer in d land.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
Dem don mess Kingslayer up oooo.
Shocking
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 16, 2013
Darthmaul: Dem don mess Kingslayer up oooo.
Shocking

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 16, 2013
Darthmaul: Opening scene, quite funny. See as the guy enter with confidence like say him na d best archer in d land.

3 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 16, 2013
Seun: In the books, Jaime was incredibly ferocious during the fight. He tried to overwhelm Brienne with a rain of furious sword blows in every direction, and she spent most of the fight blocking and dodging his intense attacks and backing away. After a very long time - Jaime lost his sense of time during the attack - he finally got tired and she gained the upper hand. He was shocked and attributed his loss to his weakness as a result of his long imprisonment.

Compared to that, the TV fight was boring. It was choreographed as just another Hollywood sword-fight, which suggests that the choreographers didn't read the books. TV Jaime is as funny - or even funnier than book Jaime. But he needs more fighting lessons. He is not terrifying with the sword; just cocky. He stood no chance against TV Brienne since they were equally matched in the fight but she was in armour. The details they got wrong completely ruined the fight for me. sad
i guess they shud have taken a cue from the epic finale between crassus and spartacus...now that was a fight!!!
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Akanniade(m): 7:04pm On Apr 17, 2013
The silence and chair dragging in Tywinn court was such a drama.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by GagaBoy: 10:28pm On Apr 17, 2013
Hvnt read the book. Poor jamie.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by PhysicsQED(m): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2013
After reading Seun's advice to another poster on this thread, I decided to watch the show rather than read the rest of the books in the series before watching the show. I'm almost done with season 1 and I have to say that so far it's a very good show.

But one thing that I can't help wondering is whether or not Africans will someday be able to make an African equivalent of GOT or a product which surpasses GOT. The backdrop for a Game of Thrones type of story with an African basis would basically be a semi-historical fantasy world based on African feudal and non-feudal history and on the mythologies and cultures of various African groups. The actual historical, cultural and mythological basis for such a story is definitely there, but the fictional work based on such material and information seems to be lacking or completely absent.

I don't think that anyone with a decent/good/great artistic talent or literary ability and a good knowledge of precolonial African history has attempted anything like what I'm talking about. All of the "high level" (i.e., not amateurish) historical fiction I've come across from African writers has been only "culture clash" (clashes between Western/white culture and African/black culture, following colonization) art or post-colonial historical fiction, which are both necessarily limited in scope and overall effect and can't really evoke the adventurous, politically complex, heroic, mystical, or magical world of the kings, queens, warriors, etc. of Africa's past.

And not only is the source material (the written fictional work) for such a show or movie lacking or absent in African fictional writing, I don't think there's currently an African television or movie production company that could bring any written fictional work to television or the big screen and do it justice in terms of quality (acting, directing, costumes, set design, etc.). Maybe someday when the continent is more developed, an African media/entertainment company with a lot of money will arise and Africans will be able to create a movie or television show that is based on or influenced by precolonial African history and which has high production values, skilled directors, and very talented actors, actresses and writers. But for now I think the money isn't there.

The Chinese have already had Romance of the Three Kingdoms for hundreds of years, and Europeans have had J.R.R. Tolkien (and now George R.R. Martin) and numerous other writers in the 20th century, but I don't think Africans have even one fictional or semi-fictional epic saga (not to talk of a TV or movie adaption of that saga) based purely on the precolonial states of Africa that is really a high level work (not amateurish) and is creative, thoughtful and entertaining.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:15am On Apr 18, 2013
having read the book. i cannot bring myself to watch the tv series. i saw some episodes of season 1 and i couldnt stand the let down....

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Samunosuke(m): 1:40pm On Apr 19, 2013
4llerbuntu: having read the book. i cannot bring myself to watch the tv series. i saw some episodes of season 1 and i couldnt stand the let down....

My GoT interaction goes like this:
Watched season 1------Read all available books(1-5)----------Watched season 1 again--------Watched episodes 1 & 2 of Season 2-------Gave up watching and I'm patiently waiting for d next book.

I'm my opinion, season 1 really follows the book almost word for word but from season 2, I started seeing deviations which turned me off. But you should be able to comfortably watch season 1. Might force myself to watch season 2 due to extreme boredom.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by ITbomb(m): 2:37pm On Apr 19, 2013
Samunosuke:

My GoT interaction goes like this:
Watched season 1------Read all available books(1-5)----------Watched season 1 again--------Watched episodes 1 & 2 of Season 2-------Gave up watching and I'm patiently waiting for d next book.

I'm my opinion, season 1 really follows the book almost word for word but from season 2, I started seeing deviations which turned me off. But you should be able to comfortably watch season 1. Might force myself to watch season 2 due to extreme boredom.
In that case i would not touch those books till i'm thro watching cos when i hold a book ,i dont keep it down till i'm thro

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 19, 2013
Damn!!! Someone just lost a hand!
Sorry folks, am just watching the episode 3 of season 3
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by PrinceNN(m): 6:08pm On Apr 19, 2013
Darthmaul: Dem don mess Kingslayer up oooo.
Shocking

ITS ABOUT TYM
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 19, 2013
django1: Damn!!! Someone just lost a hand!
Sorry folks, am just watching the episode 3 of season 3

What happenned to my post?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by TerraCotta(m): 6:53pm On Apr 19, 2013
PhysicsQED: After reading Seun's advice to another poster on this thread, I decided to watch the show rather than read the rest of the books in the series before watching the show. I'm almost done with season 1 and I have to say that so far it's a very good show.

But one thing that I can't help wondering is whether or not Africans will someday be able to make an African equivalent of GOT or a product which surpasses GOT. The backdrop for a Game of Thrones type of story with an African basis would basically be a semi-historical fantasy world based on African feudal and non-feudal history and on the mythologies and cultures of various African groups. The actual historical, cultural and mythological basis for such a story is definitely there, but the fictional work based on such material and information seems to be lacking or completely absent.

I don't think that anyone with a decent/good/great artistic talent or literary ability and a good knowledge of precolonial African history has attempted anything like what I'm talking about. All of the "high level" (i.e., not amateurish) historical fiction I've come across from African writers has been only "culture clash" (clashes between Western/white culture and African/black culture, following colonization) art or post-colonial historical fiction, which are both necessarily limited in scope and overall effect and can't really evoke the adventurous, politically complex, heroic, mystical, or magical world of the kings, queens, warriors, etc. of Africa's past.

And not only is the source material (the written fictional work) for such a show or movie lacking or absent in African fictional writing, I don't think there's currently an African television or movie production company that could bring any written fictional work to television or the big screen and do it justice in terms of quality (acting, directing, costumes, set design, etc.). Maybe someday when the continent is more developed, an African media/entertainment company with a lot of money will arise and Africans will be able to create a movie or television show that is based on or influenced by precolonial African history and which has high production values, skilled directors, and very talented actors, actresses and writers. But for now I think the money isn't there.

The Chinese have already had Romance of the Three Kingdoms for hundreds of years, and Europeans have had J.R.R. Tolkien (and now George R.R. Martin) and numerous other writers in the 20th century, but I don't think Africans have even one fictional or semi-fictional epic saga (not to talk of a TV or movie adaption of that saga) based purely on the precolonial states of Africa that is really a high level work (not amateurish) and is creative, thoughtful and entertaining.

There's at least one person I know working on an African series inspired in part by George MacDonald Fraser's "Flashman" series, (which in turn were partially inspired by Richard Burton's colonial-era travelogues). The difficulty with producing something on the scale and quality of "Game of Thrones" for TV is justifying the cost when looking at the potential audience, but that's not an insurmountable issue. I think these Nollywood movies demonstrate that there is a market--probably small but definitely real nontheless--for African historical fantasy (and science fiction etc as well). I've seen both English and Yoruba-language "epic" movies that use precolonial settings and even existing sagas as inspiration and their popularity is on par with the romance, comedy and religious-horror stuff that's the mainstay of Nollywood. Nigerians are quick to dismiss them because the production values and writing talents aren't as good as their Western counterparts, but what's important is that there's an existing and interested audience for the genre. It's also one of the few ways to make Nigerian history and culture interesting and relevant for a younger audience, in my opinion.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by ikekings(m): 7:24pm On Apr 19, 2013
Downloading season 1 episode 1...
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 20, 2013
kingsilly: watching episode 3

ekt_bear: kat.ph is where I download stuff from.

Please can you please send me the direct like to download the Episode 2 and 3..

I have attempted it but got the wrong download..

I'm anxiously waiting..
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Seun(m): 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2013
Let us not use Nairaland to promote pirated content, please. Links removed.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Seun(m): 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2013
Please do not post links to download copyrighted content from unauthorized sources on Nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (859) (Reply)

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) / Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.