Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,701 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

$1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? (1781 Views)

$1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London / Nigerian Born Kate Anolue, Is The New Mayor Of Enfield, London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

$1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by bolex(m): 2:48pm On May 09, 2006
Assume that you have recently finished your first year as mayor of your city.

At the end of the year there is $1 Million dollars left in the budget.

You must spend this money within your community.

What would you spend it on and why?
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by otolorin(m): 3:25pm On May 09, 2006
a million dolls?
mayor of surulere local govt?
a low-cost housing estate contract awarded to my construction company
why? - a lot of homeless peeps out there.
i'v just spent the money on the community - and putting profit in my pocket thru my company
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by my2cents(m): 7:00pm On May 09, 2006
$1million is about N140million. I don't know what that would get you, but I would do this for the pple of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State (based on my last visit there in 2004):

- pay civil servants that are owed in arrears

- refurbish govt buildings that are still in use.

Now, if it were N1billion, I would do the following:

- commission independent power and water plants: this brings in foreign direct investment (FDI)

- fix major roads

- start up an IT academy so that jobs outsourced to India and China, are brought into the state.
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by Seun(m): 9:09pm On May 09, 2006
- pay civil servants that are owed in arrears
No, you can't claim to have a budget surplus of $1 million of you are owing civil servants' salaries!

What would I do with $1 million as a public servant? Security, electricity, education in that order
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by my2cents(m): 9:12pm On May 09, 2006
Nwoke,

But it happens in Naija everyday smiley

If not, then why would a state like Akwa Ibom, that gets billions from oil revenues, still owes its civil servants?

As always, nigeria violates all natural rules of economics LOL
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by Ndipe(m): 2:42am On May 10, 2006
If I am the mayor of any city in the bay area, definitely, low incoming housing will be my priority. Too many homeless people in my area and it is heartbreaking.

In my hometown of Uyo, food subsidies for low income earners would be my priority.
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by Badman888(m): 4:03am On May 10, 2006
I would try and build schools, hospitals, mayb roads, wateva is remains looks left and rite and u know what would be done,
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by kodewrita(m): 11:15am On May 10, 2006
$1 million dollars = 140 million naira.

with that much money, i could start 69 to 70 cottage industries, each with an initial capital of five million, employing at least 60 to 70 people (thats around 5000 people) and each with a total turnover of around N6.5 to N7 million a year. that means i would manage to multiply that amount 3.5 times and create 5000 new jobs and a lasting source of income for the city.
    The money realised from the businesses would then be used for urban redevelopment, it won't be a bad idea to build high-density low-cost housing close to the commercial district where the cottage industries are located in a sanitary and environmentally friendly way.
        Finally, the rest of the money would be used to create a municipal transport division (intra-city transport is a major problem in nigeria today.) that would greatly ease movement in the new city centre (yes it will be with 70 new companies and other associated companies that will rise up as a result.) and reduce both operating costs and labour costs.
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by otolorin(m): 9:53am On May 12, 2006
kodewrita:

$1 million dollars = 140 million naira.

with that much money, i could start 69 to 70 cottage industries, each with an initial capital of five million, employing at least 60 to 70 people (thats around 5000 people) and each with a total turnover of around N6.5 to N7 million a year. that means i would manage to multiply that amount 3.5 times and create 5000 new jobs and a lasting source of income for the city.
    The money realised from the businesses would then be used for urban redevelopment, it won't be a bad idea to build high-density low-cost housing close to the commercial district where the cottage industries are located in a sanitary and environmentally friendly way.
        Finally, the rest of the money would be used to create a municipal transport division (intra-city transport is a major problem in nigeria today.) that would greatly ease movement in the new city centre (yes it will be with 70 new companies and other associated companies that will rise up as a result.) and reduce both operating costs and labour costs.
good incentives, chief
but ow many of these "good initiatives" in the rea sense of it (i.e in lagos of today for instance) has seen the light of day?
we hear all these things everyday but they are never implemented.
i hope that one of these days, you, kodewrita will be in the position to really implement these things and you could be sure of support from people like me.

as for me., one other thing i'll do is to ind a possible solution to the triplicating populaton in lagos - i hope that sounds possible
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by babadee(m): 3:09pm On May 12, 2006
very very very very simple!
i'll award my company a contract to build a housing estate and a recreational park on BOT and save the rest in my personal account to pay workers salaries the following year. or is that not selfless enough?
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by walemuse(m): 4:20pm On May 12, 2006
I will spend the surplus on education
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by otolorin(m): 8:21am On May 16, 2006
babadee:

very very very very simple!
i'll award my company a contract to build a housing estate and a recreational park on BOT and save the rest in my personal account to pay workers salaries the following year. or is that not selfless enough?

YEAH, YEAH!
SO SO SELFLESS INDEED!
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by kodewrita(m): 11:57am On Jun 25, 2010
otolorin:

good incentives, chief
but ow many of these "good initiatives" in the rea sense of it (i.e in lagos of today for instance) has seen the light of day?
we hear all these things everyday but they are never implemented.
i hope that one of these days, you, kodewrita will be in the position to really implement these things and you could be sure of support from people like me.

as for me., one other thing i'll do is to ind a possible solution to the triplicating populaton in lagos - i hope that sounds possible

Seeing this for the first time in a long while. Hope so too. Thank God Fashola has brought some level of change. Hope to see same from other people.
Re: $1 Million Budget: What Would You Use It For As Mayor Of Your City? by KnowAll(m): 8:57am On Jun 26, 2010
[size=14pt]It is not with pride I inform you all that about 1/3 of LGA's in Nigeria get 1/2 of $1 million dollars every month, which is N140million Naira. Just Imagine more than 250 LGA gets between 70 and 85 million a month and there is nothing to show for it.

Raising the largesse to 1 million dollars would only mean Oga's wife(that is the Chairman that gave his wife N1 million Kitchen allowance every month) would be entitled to probably N3 million Kitchen allowance not taking other allowances such as shoe and bag allowance, travelling to Dubai allowance e.t.c

The $1 million dollars would disappear as soon as it hit the accounts of those LG, there would be nothing to show, except mud houses and untarred roads which is the true representation of our LGA today. cry[/size]

(1) (Reply)

People Behind The Failure Of Obasanjo's Government / Gov. James Ibori Spent 5 Billion Naira To Buy Cars And House In South London / Not A Single Job Vacancy In Lagos State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.